• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz LB Strahm arrested for DUI

ilovethecats said:
grizcountry420 said:
ilovethecats said:
what a thread. :clap:

all the best to the kid. he screwed up. could have been way worse but it wasn't. bust his ass the next month, sit him a couple games, and move on.

as always this time of year...football can't get here soon enough.

You forgot to mention texting and driving. :cool:
:thumb:

thing is, you could do this every time someone does anything stupid or against the law. people love to play the "what if" game. yes, VERY bad things can happen when a guy drinks and drives. but this wasn't one of those cases. for many of us, this happening to them just once is enough for them to never do it again. so instead of acting like he killed someone because he could have killed someone, let's just deal with what actually happened.

he screwed up. got lucky it wasn't worse. and luckily won't get punished at what COULD have happened! best to him.

Agreed. My guess is 1.5 game suspension.

As many people die from car crashes caused by speeding as from drunk drivers. Where's the outrage against getting caught speeding? In some states, it is estimated than 1 in 2,000 drunk drivers get caught. Everyone agrees that drunk driving is bad, and no one condones it, and if a drink driver impacts your family or friends, that is horrible and very unfortunate. But, fortunately, the chances of getting killed by a drunk driver are really not very high. Just horrible when it occurs, for all involved.

All you youngins sure do think silly. Is it better that a loved one be killed by a drunk driver, texting driver or a driver that is just a bad driver and not imopaired? All the what ifs and could haves are pure poppycock plain and simple! An accident is an accident and none of them can be prevented 100%

Big G said:
All you youngins sure do think silly. Is it better that a loved one be killed by a drunk driver, texting driver or a driver that is just a bad driver and not imopaired? All the what ifs and could haves are pure poppycock plain and simple! An accident is an accident and none of them can be prevented 100%

Thanks Captain Obvious. Hopefully just as obvious in the fact that reckless behavior leads to more wrecks (which merely sounds like a self-contradicting statement).

brewskis said:
Skyline is always on the bleeding edge whenever something goes the Griz's way. When our starting MLB gets a DUI, Skyline is the first to start the thread.

I'm not arguing SS's journalism qualify, because they are solid in the state of Montana. But for 1) they are compared to Lee Enterprises. 2) Griz fans should be aware that they are a Pro-Bobcat outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is rich. Colter was the first to cover it because he was the only journalist in the state who had the awareness to recognize Conner Strahm's name on a jail roster. And if you think he is hunting for news or was on the "bleeding edge" of news that would embarrass the Griz, he didn't start reporting this until Thursday evening, more than 100 hours after Strahm was booked in jail. More to that point, go look at his coverage of the two Montana State defensive backs arrested for felony drug possession. Or check out his coverage of Anthony Knight. He reported things that were true and accurate and had no slant. That's what journalists do.
The journalists -- they shouldn't be called that, but that's another story -- you should really be worried about are the ones who root for the team they cover and act as a mouth piece for the program. They do a disservice to a profession they don't even understand. Colter has made a career of covering both of these teams honestly and fairly. If you can't handle some fair, accurate reporting that just so happens to make your preferred team appear suspect, then that's a personal issue. It's not an issue with the entity covering your team.

kyle_sample said:
brewskis said:
Skyline is always on the bleeding edge whenever something goes the Griz's way. When our starting MLB gets a DUI, Skyline is the first to start the thread.

I'm not arguing SS's journalism qualify, because they are solid in the state of Montana. But for 1) they are compared to Lee Enterprises. 2) Griz fans should be aware that they are a Pro-Bobcat outlet.

This is rich. Colter was the first to cover it because he was the only journalist in the state who had the awareness to recognize Conner Strahm's name on a jail roster. And if you think he is hunting for news or was on the "bleeding edge" of news that would embarrass the Griz, he didn't start reporting this until Thursday evening, more than 100 hours after Strahm was booked in jail. More to that point, go look at his coverage of the two Montana State defensive backs arrested for felony drug possession. Or check out his coverage of Anthony Knight. He reported things that were true and accurate and had no slant. That's what journalists do.
The journalists -- they shouldn't be called that, but that's another story -- you should really be worried about are the ones who root for the team they cover and act as a mouth piece for the program. They do a disservice to a profession they don't even understand. Colter has made a career of covering both of these teams honestly and fairly. If you can't handle some fair, accurate reporting that just so happens to make your preferred team appear suspect, then that's a personal issue. It's not an issue with the entity covering your team.

THIS!!! And just so you all know, Bobcat fans also think that he tries to "dig up dirt" and bashes the Cats every chance he gets because he is a Griz fan at heart....The way I look at it (and this is how I also try to do my Play-by-Play coverage) if both teams think you are rooting for the other team, then you are doing your job right (learned that from Dean Alexander when I was just a little guy)

Big G said:

Ahh...Poppycock. It's so much more than a generational based term.

kyle_sample said:
brewskis said:

:roll:

EverettGriz said:
I guess I wouldn't know. I stopped reading that site when the content was 90% cat.

He hitched his wagons to the cats long ago...

maybe he knows something we do not.

I have not and will not give him a dime until he starts covering the Griz with the rigor they deserve.

It is good to see some coaches do the right thing. Oregon said goodbye to Crittenden because of DWI...Utah is giving him a second chance.

It is good to see some coaches do the right thing. Oregon said goodbye to Crittenden because of DWI...Utah is giving him a second chance since they appear to be a bit desperate..

GrizLA said:
It is good to see some coaches do the right thing. Oregon said goodbye to Crittenden because of DWI...Utah is giving him a second chance since they appear to be a bit desperate..
*carrington

Carrington's situation is very different:

"But Carrington had also run into trouble well before the July 1 stop by Eugene police.

He missed the 2015 College Football Playoff national championship game less than two weeks later while serving a suspension for reportedly failing an NCAA-run drug test. That penalty rendered him ineligible for the first half of the following season, as well, and while serving that suspension he was cited by Eugene police for an open container violation in September 2015. Last fall, in October, a UO graduate accused Carrington of breaking his arm following Oregon's victory against Arizona State, though Eugene police never charged Carrington."

This is apparently Strahm's first infraction.

The Oregon coach is also known for being especially strong on discipline:

"Taggart emphasized that his program will be fun, but that rules must be followed. He says his approach to discipline is the same he used at Western Kentucky and South Florida, too, where those rebuilds began with clear expectations about discipline.

"Someone is going to try me," Taggart said. "It hasn't failed yet, and I hate to say make an example of them but it is what it is. I explain it to you Day One and you know how it is. That's how it's going to go. I don't want to hear, 'Oh I forgot' or anything; there's no forgetting, you better know if this is where you want to be."

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
GrizLA said:
*carrington

Give him a break, Bjorn. He was driving when he sent that text.

Ursa Major said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
GrizLA said:
*carrington

Give him a break, Bjorn. He was driving when he sent that text.

:lol:

PlayerRep said:
"Taggart emphasized that his program will be fun, but that rules must be followed. He says his approach to discipline is the same he used at Western Kentucky and South Florida, too, where those rebuilds began with clear expectations about discipline.

"Someone is going to try me," Taggart said. "It hasn't failed yet, and I hate to say make an example of them but it is what it is. I explain it to you Day One and you know how it is. That's how it's going to go. I don't want to hear, 'Oh I forgot' or anything; there's no forgetting, you better know if this is where you want to be."

Damn I like this approach

Ursus1 said:
PlayerRep said:

We shall see how it works at Oregon. I don't know anything about Taggart or how he has handled discipline the past, but if I were a recruit, and had 2 equal choices, I would chose the other school if the coach was over-the-top on discipline. I don't like the "try me" attitude either. Too much ego in there for me.

PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:
PlayerRep said:

We shall see how it works at Oregon. I don't know anything about Taggart or how he has handled discipline the past, but if I were a recruit, and had 2 equal choices, I would chose the other school if the coach was over-the-top on discipline. I don't like the "try me" attitude either. Too much ego in there for me.

Tags has reached his Charlie Strong level.

Not quite sure what Oregon sees in Taggart. 2-10, 7-5 and 7-5 (team was 7-6 after losing bowl game after he departed that year) at West Ken. 2-10, 4-8, 8-5 and 10-2 at So Florida. Nice trend up at SF, but does one 10-2 season qualify him to coach Oregon? 16-20 and 24-25 at those two schools.

A month or so after he arrived. Not sure if he really took responsibility for this one:

"In January 2017, three Oregon football players were hospitalized after grueling military-style workouts.[8] Multiple sources described the workouts to the Oregonian as "akin to military basic training, with one said to include up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs."[9] Coach Taggert personally visited the ill and hospitalized players to wish them a speedy recovery. "I have visited with the three young men involved in the incidents in the past few days and I have been in constant contact with their families, offering my sincere apologies,” Taggart said in the statement. “As the head football coach, I hold myself responsible for all of our football-related activities and the safety of our students must come first. I have addressed the issue with our strength and conditioning staff, and I fully support the actions taken today by the university. I want to thank our medical staff and doctors for caring for all of our young men, and I want to apologize to the university, our students, alumni and fans.” Wiki.

Not sure Taggart knows how to hire asst coaches. Both of these assistants come with Taggart from So. Flo. See below:

"Reaves — hired last week to be co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks and tight ends coach — served as Taggart’s associate head coach and tight ends coach at South Florida. He also coached quarterbacks, wide receivers and was offensive coordinator during his time at South Florida. He also has experience as an assistant at New Mexico, Tennessee and South Carolina.

This incident was just the latest in a difficult week for Oregon and new head coach Willie Taggart. The Ducks suspended football strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde on Tuesday after three players were injured during offseason workouts and hospitalized. All three have been released. Taggart, who had just completed putting together his staff, issued an apology for that incident."

"Former Oregon wide receivers coach Jimmie Dougherty, who was the passenger in Reaves’ car when he was arrested, left the program on Feb. 9 to join UCLA’s staff."

Reaves was paid $60,000 in severance.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2017/01/22/oregon-assistant-coach-administrative-leave-dui-arrest/96923514/

Why shouldn't Taggert get suspended for having 3 asst coaches make mistakes and get fired, suspended or resign, in the first 6 weeks of his taking over as head coaches. At least 2 and perhaps all 3 were coaches that came with him from the prior job.

Add in a star player getting a due?

Why hold asst coaches and players to high standards, and give the head coach a pass? Especially one who is a big talker on discipline.

Back