• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ ROSTER MAKE-UP

Griztime said:
The Offensive Line has changed alot-Cam Rokich is still at school but no longer playing football. The O-line is the 4 Sophs; 3 Juniors and 5 ? Seniors and incoming 5 Freshmen. Coach G has his group and will shape them into a great group...

Going to be interesting to see how this line shapes up. We've got returning starters in Todd, Dietrich, Reese, and Luke from last year's line. Then there's also Weyer who is back for his senior season.

I think the biggest question is what will Germer do with the more versatile linemen in Weyer and Dietrich? Both have played two spots on the line. Weyer started at guard for a year then moved to center. Dietrich went from guard to tackle, back to guard - and was given the best lineman award by the coaches this season.

I would wonder if Dietrich can effectively move back to tackle that will be the best fit - that or see if one of our younger guys is ready to make a run at the job.

Also there's Weyer who is viewed upon as a leader of the O-line, will he snap back in at center? Or would it be best to put Luke (who improved dramatically through the season) out there together with him?

Paytonlives said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/695115943651901441[/tweet]

On another thread (can't find it again) I read a copy of the NLI, which specifically states that the student-athlete would not loose their scholarship based on athletic performance. So as long as the player goes to all the team practices etc, keeps his grades up and doesn't do anything too dumb they will retain the financially support through their college career. IF that is true how does that language allow for the coach to 'cut' players and free up scholarship funds for recruits? Or is it simply that all of the players have 'voluntarily' left the team? :?

BWahlberg said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
GRIZ ROSTER MAKEUP: What do you think?

I'll assume a few roster attrition moves have happened like posted, and going off your list - here's this observational fan's opinion

X

SO Keenan Curran
SR Lane Hovey
FR Koby Eaton
FR Donovan Rooks
----------------
FR Jed Nagler

Z

SO Reese Carlson
JR James Homan
FR Dalton Daum
FR Jerry Louie-McGee
------------------
FR Dareon Nash
FR Samori Toure'

H

JR Josh Horner
FR Holden Ryan
JR Mike Ralston
FR Colin Bingham
---------------------
FR Samuel Akem

Y

SO Caleb Lyons
JR McKenna Simis
FR Justin Calhoun
-----------------------
FR Brennan Corbin

RB

SR John Nguyen
SO Jeremy Calhoun
SR Joey Counts
JR Treshawn Favors
FR Brody Martinez
----------------------------
FR Rey Green

QB

SR Brady Gustafson
JR Reese Phillips
SR Chad Chalich
SO Eric Prater
SO Connor Kaegi
-----------------------------
FR Gresch Jensen

LT

JR David Reese
FR Dallas Hart
FR Colin McGillvray
---------------------------------
FR Conlan Beaver

LG

SR McCauley Todd
JR Cooper Sprunk
FR Angel Villanueva
--------------------------------
FR Brandon Scott

CENTER

JR Robert Luke
JR Cooper Sprunk
------------------------------
FR Dylan Eickmeyer

RG

SR Ben Weyer
FR Angel Villanueva

FR Thane Jackson

RT

SR Devon Dietrich
SR Jackson Thiebes
FR Joe Paolina
-----------------------------
FR Ashton Torres

==================================================================================

Field CB

JR Ryan McKinley
SR Tyrell Garner
JR Shane Moody
FR Lewis Cowans

Boundary CB

SR J.R. Nelson
SO Markell Sanders
----------------------------------
FR Josh Egbo

SS

SR Yaemen Sanders
FR Josh Sandry
------------------------------------
FR Gavin Crow

FS

SO Evan Epperly
JR Mick Delaney
FR Jerrin Williams
-----------------------------------

SAM LB

SO Dante Olson
SO Shayne Cochran
FR Cy Sirmon
-------------------------------------

MIKE LB

JR Connor Strahm
JR Jimmy Banks
FR David Fa'atulese
--------------------------------------
FR Trase LeTexier

WILL LB

SO Josh Buss
SO Alex Thomas
----------------------------------
FR Jace Lewis

Rush DE

JR Tucker Schye
SO Donald Bedell
SO Austin Chadderon
SO Reggie Tilleman

FR Cole Rosling
FR Noah Gerald

DE

SR Ryan Johnson
FR Jessie Sims
SO Nick Mertes
FR Andrew Harris
FR Trace Bradshaw

NT

SR Zach Peevey
JR Nate Bradley
JR Brandt Davidson

--------------------------
FR Esai Longoria

DT

SR Caleb Kidder
JR Myles McKee-Osibodu
SO Kyle Davis
----------------------------------------
FR Randy Rodriguez

================================================================================

K/P

SR Harrison Greenberg
JR Austin Carver
FR Tim Semenza
FR Patrick LeCorre
-------------------------------------
I see you have Reese Carlson listed as starting at the Z but he's not listed on the roster. Was that just an omission?

Sure hope our starters on the O-Line that have been listed had a lot of Christmas pie! We need some horses on the line if we want to be successful! 310lbs + per man would be great... If we have the same guys starting as last year in the same shape as last year, we can expect similar results as last year. No consistent running game again. Eat boys eat!

Griz!ron said:
Paytonlives said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/695115943651901441[/tweet]

On another thread (can't find it again) I read a copy of the NLI, which specifically states that the student-athlete would not loose their scholarship based on athletic performance. So as long as the player goes to all the team practices etc, keeps his grades up and doesn't do anything too dumb they will retain the financially support through their college career. IF that is true how does that language allow for the coach to 'cut' players and free up scholarship funds for recruits? Or is it simply that all of the players have 'voluntarily' left the team? :?

The statement is true over the course of a school year that for the most part they can't be taken away, however, scholarships are renewable annually and always subject to change at renewal.

Looking at our 2016 roster just reminds you of the one glaring issue this program currently has. We are still probably 2-3 years away from having a serviceable offensive line. Let’s hope a couple of these recruits pan out.

Thanks again Scott.........

“Let us Pray”

Love hearing that Greenberg is out kicking. :clap:

He should roll around in that snow, get as wet as he can, drop a bowling ball on his plant foot, and then try some FGs from +50.

When looking at the positions, one can REALLY see where these transfers and dropdown really FILL A NEED.

That my friends was OUTSTANDING recruiting by our coaches!!!!

Granted coach Stitt is still looking for a few transfer/drop down players in the spring... but regardless of that possibility, does anybody see any true freshman playing as the roster the way it is now?

I know coach Stitt said he'd like to red-shirt all the freshman (like he did in 2015, besides playing RB Calhoun due to injury a head of him).

The only two that come to mind for me are WR Corbin and OL Scott, possibly RB Rey Green. What does anyone else think?

Come'on Griz fans, let's talk some actual football.

Who should return kicks and punts in 2016? (Henderson and Jones are gone)

I think Stitt fully intends to red-shirt every single incoming HS guy, with the possible exception being Brennan Corbin. What could change that is if some of the RS-frosh WR's aren't up to snuff from last year's class. But at every other position, the high school guys will start next fall as red-shirts.

havgrizfan said:
I think Stitt fully intends to red-shirt every single incoming HS guy, with the possible exception being Brennan Corbin. What could change that is if some of the RS-frosh WR's aren't up to snuff from last year's class. But at every other position, the high school guys will start next fall as red-shirts.

Then there'd better be TWO O-line transfers and a CB transfer come spring.

A safety transfer is just as much if not more needed as CB and oline. We have no experience besides sanders. I know we have young talent. At least we have some experience at those other positions. Weyer back will help our oline big time. Germer "time" is only gonna help our oline get better A 4th corner with sanders and Nelson and McKinley needs to emerge.

havgrizfan said:

I agree on Corbin. He was 6'5" 200 lbs, i heard is now 225 lbs, and may be 230 by fall camp.

No need to give that man among boys a year to physically mature. :lol:

Back