• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ ROSTER MAKE-UP

mrknowitall said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Come'on Griz fans, let's talk some actual football.

Who should return kicks and punts in 2016? (Henderson and Jones are gone)
Daum no question.

Yeah, I like that answer. It takes two on kicks, my other recommendation is Evan Epperly. Another fast kid, who was a 1st team All-State punt returner. Kid has skills.

IntuitiveGriz said:
mrknowitall said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Daum no question.

Yeah, I like that answer. It takes two on kicks, my other recommendation is Evan Epperly. Another fast kid, who was a 1st team All-State punt returner. Kid has skills.

Wouldn't get too jacked up on Daum being a major contributor this season. He's coming off major shoulder surgery (labrum I believe), so he's going to be playing major catch-up.

If Mick Delaney Jr. has a solid offseason, I think he starts at FS. He really emerged on special teams last season.

gotgame75 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
mrknowitall said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Daum no question.

Wouldn't get too jacked up on Daum being a major contributor this season. He's coming off major shoulder surgery (labrum I believe), so he's going to be playing major catch-up.

When did he have the surgery? The recovery is somewhere around 4 months. Then allowed to participate. Torn labrum is really more painful than anything. You can play with a torn labrum, so as long as he's in that 4 month healing window, he should be good to go. I'm also assuming you are talking about Reps in practice though, which, yes he has major catch up to do.

G-BEARS said:
I think Lyons returned some kicks this year didn't he? Toward the end of the season

He was one of the two deep returners late last season, yes. i don't recall very many, if any, returns though? Anybody have any stats on that? He did look pretty quick when running up to help block though, from what I recall.

AZDoc said:
gotgame75 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
mrknowitall said:
Daum no question.

When did he have the surgery? The recovery is somewhere around 4 months. Then allowed to participate. Torn labrum is really more painful than anything. You can play with a torn labrum, so as long as he's in that 4 month healing window, he should be good to go. I'm also assuming you are talking about Reps in practice though, which, yes he has major catch up to do.

gotgame75, being from Daums small hometown and being heavily involved in the sports scene, I know all about Daum's situation, right down to the details of the surgery itself and his current condition.

AZDoc, the surgery was performed on Sept 22, 2015.

AZDoc said:
gotgame75 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
mrknowitall said:
Daum no question.

Practice reps are exactly what I'm talking about. Seems to be especially key for this offense. He's essentially going to be a true freshman experience-wise, whereas the rest of his class has almost a year leg-up on him. As a returner that's probably not too huge of a deal, but I just wouldn't count on him being a big part of this offense quite yet. Not saying it can't happen, just that he's probably got a lot of catching up to do first.

G-BEARS said:
I think Lyons returned some kicks this year didn't he? Toward the end of the season

Don't know if he actually fielded any but he was out there opposite Ellis on KR duty.

IntuitiveGriz said:

Thinking one of the rs-fr wideouts will likely pull KR duty. Nguyen will likely see punts still though. I like Justin Calhoun and Rooks on KR, maybe James Homan if he works out.

Kickoffs:

Daum, if he's healthy. Returning kicks doesn't require a lot of reps to learn the blocking schemes, and you can't tackle 'em if you can't catch 'em...and very few players in the Sky can catch DD.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Granted coach Stitt is still looking for a few transfer/drop down players in the spring... but regardless of that possibility, does anybody see any true freshman playing as the roster the way it is now?

I know coach Stitt said he'd like to red-shirt all the freshman (like he did in 2015, besides playing RB Calhoun due to injury a head of him).

The only two that come to mind for me are WR Corbin and OL Scott, possibly RB Rey Green. What does anyone else think?

I know the coaches are high on Akem at WR. Not sure if that means he plays as a Freshman or not. Similar with Corbin.

CrunchGriz said:
Kickoffs:

Daum, if he's healthy. Returning kicks doesn't require a lot of reps to learn the blocking schemes, and you can't tackle 'em if you can't catch 'em...and very few players in the Sky can catch DD.

You're so right, CrunchGriz.

Daum's HS time already puts him in contention for the BSC finals.

By the time Daum would be a SR he'd have a great shot at being the BSC champion. No football players can run that down.

Griz Devin Maua takes AA state championship as a heavyweight (285 lb class): :clap:

56c00475919c6.image.jpg

His team, Billings Senior, won the AA team title... their first since the initial tournament, back in 1956.

Wow, that is IMPRESSIVE! Being a wrestler gives him an enormous advantage - he understands leverage and knows how to attack his blocker's weaknesses!!!

62GRIZ said:
Wow, that is IMPRESSIVE! Being a wrestler gives him an enormous advantage - he understands leverage and knows how to attack his blocker's weaknesses!!!
Not to mention improved footwork

Back