• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz vs Bison Prediction

NDSU will come out of the tunnel trying to act like they have been there before with their bird immitations trying to show they are not intimidated by the crowd. We should just ignore them. The Bison might even play the Griz tight for 1/4-1/3 of the game. But between our defense wearing them down and them not being able to call audibles, the Griz will take control and have a 10-14 point half time lead. The game will be out of reach with 5 minutes left in the 3rd Qtr. Final score Griz 45, Bison 17. Half time 24-10

I also believe that last cheap score by Maine was the best thing that could have happened to us. I am sure Hauck will use it to motivate. No relaxing before meeting an opponent we should pound. I am confident the play calling will improve this weekend.

NativeGriz
Montana Grizzly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NDSU will come out of the tunnel trying to act like they have been there before

Many of the Bison have been there before. QB Stauss has 10 Big Ten games, teams like Penn St, Iowa etc. Head Coach Bohl comes from Nebraska, ever heard of them. Coach Enos, Michigan State, etc. A majority of the players are from Minnesota and Wisconsin, and have played in the Metrodome in state tournaments, or Lambeau field or Camp Randall stadium. There is no way Washington-Griz compares with Camp Randall or Lambeau on game day. The difference in this game could be that Montana has more great athletes due to the scholarship disparity. Depth could be a major factor in the game. But I am sticking with Bison 14, Griz 10.

BisonMav said:
NativeGriz
Montana Grizzly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NDSU will come out of the tunnel trying to act like they have been there before

Many of the Bison have been there before. QB Stauss has 10 Big Ten games, teams like Penn St, Iowa etc. Head Coach Bohl comes from Nebraska, ever heard of them. Coach Enos, Michigan State, etc. A majority of the players are from Minnesota and Wisconsin, and have played in the Metrodome in state tournaments, or Lambeau field or Camp Randall stadium. There is no way Washington-Griz compares with Camp Randall or Lambeau on game day.

I hope you are coming to the game....because you may change your tune after a visit to Wash/Griz stadium. The place is magical! You will be a believer if you come.

Griz 45

Ndsu 16

because you may change your tune after a visit to Wash/Griz stadium. The place is magical! You will be a believer if you come.

Your stadium is great, no doubt the best atmosphere in I-AA. I would say that Princeton and possibly a couple of other schools have nicer facilities but nobody matches the gameday enthusiasm of Missoula. That being said it is a real stretch to compare yourselves with the big boys. I don't care if you have Sigfried and Roy and their albino tiger performing at halftime, it doesn't stack up with the likes of the Swamp, Death Valley or even Autzen. If you guys got that place up to 40,000-45,000 or so (the size of Fresno State) and retained the same atmosphere then you could realy stake a claim to one of the best home fields in all of college football.

How big is the population base around the university? If you could get a home game against Boise or Nevada how many tickets could you sell (I'm guessing over 30,000). What about a school like BYU, Utah, or Colorado State?

I have heard that NDSU has bigger O lines and D lines than the Griz and have a couple of players faster than any of the Grizzlies, including a 10.2 second 100 meter man , and a QB who played in the Big Ten last year. While I expect Griz depth, and overall talent and team speed, and home field and huge crowd to lead the Griz to victory, those Griz fans expecting a blowout are being overly optimistic.

Gunrock said:
because you may change your tune after a visit to Wash/Griz stadium. The place is magical! You will be a believer if you come.

Your stadium is great, no doubt the best atmosphere in I-AA. I would say that Princeton and possibly a couple of other schools have nicer facilities but nobody matches the gameday enthusiasm of Missoula. That being said it is a real stretch to compare yourselves with the big boys. I don't care if you have Sigfried and Roy and their albino tiger performing at halftime, it doesn't stack up with the likes of the Swamp, Death Valley or even Autzen. If you guys got that place up to 40,000-45,000 or so (the size of Fresno State) and retained the same atmosphere then you could realy stake a claim to one of the best home fields in all of college football.

How big is the population base around the university? If you could get a home game against Boise or Nevada how many tickets could you sell (I'm guessing over 30,000). What about a school like BYU, Utah, or Colorado State?

Never happen. Obviously not because people wouldn't come, but because they just are not here. Take Fresno for ex. The city limits are around 400,000, with the county you can almost double that number. People just don't realize that is about what we have in this whole state, which is the 4th largest in size. But if we did we would need alot more then 30,000. Lets look at this by %. Missoula and surrounding area is around 100,000. Our stadium will have just under 25,000 in it on Sat. that is 25% of the population at the Griz game. If Fresno has 45,000 that is a whopping 5% of the population. Now if we took 25% of 800,000 we need a stadium that seats 200,000 screaming maniacal Griz fans. I kind of like that. Correct my math if it is wrong. :D

These guys are funny...

Honestly, to say that the Bison will be up to the Griz's level in a couple years is to say that youve enjoyed your years of smoking crack cocaine out of a dixie cup. (whatever that means)
:drinking:
There are much bigger schools in Div1aa than NDSU that have been trying for years to play to the level of the Griz. Maybe someday the Bison will beat the Griz in a game, and if they do, then I will place a Bison bumper sticker on my flying car.

Bison 6
Griz 49

a mercy killing :D

fargogrizzly Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:52 pm Post subject: Bison fans are funny

There are much bigger schools in Div1aa than NDSU that have been trying for years to play to the level of the Griz. Maybe someday the Bison will beat the Griz in a game, and if they do, then I will place a Bison bumper sticker on my flying car.....

There were much bigger schools in the College Division that NDSU and Montana played in prior to I-AA. Bison won 3 National Championships. There were much bigger schools in Division II than NDSU. Bison won 5 National Championships. Size doesn't matter.

fargogrizzly said:
These guys are funny...

There are much bigger schools in Div1aa than NDSU that have been trying for years to play to the level of the Griz. Maybe someday the Bison will beat the Griz in a game, and if they do, then I will place a Bison bumper sticker on my flying car.

Bison 6
Griz 49

a mercy killing :D

fargogrizz,

What does size have to do with it? They are plenty of schools that are smaller then Montana that do ok. Montana State at 11,934 comes to mind, McNeese St. at 7,780 is another. Even my Jackrabbits have knocked off a big boy. We beat Wisconsin, that's right the Badgers 13-6 (ok it was back in 1935, but we have beaten a Big 10 team). You know what they say about any given Saturday. Given some time I think NDSU at 11,100 and SDSU at just over 10,000 can be quality I AA teams. This isn't high school sports, size dosent count for much. I think the Griz will win, I just don't see a crazy blow out.

Go SDSU!

Yes, it does make the math easier, but mostly it's because they're guys. Guys give weight approximations, women give exact figures. Ask five guys you know what they weigh, and it'll be 215, 175, 200, 190, etc. Ask five girls, and you'll hear (assuming they'll answer) 117, 123, 137, or 276 if you're on the MSU campus.

And regarding size: UM played Furman for the championship in 2001. Furman's enrollment that year: 3,300. It doesn't take a huge student body to make a great team (but it does help).

Enrollment has nothing to do with anything. You should all know better. Miami and Notre Dame are both smaller schools than UM. Sacramento State and Portland State are both over 20,000. If there's ever a reason why a bigger school wins, it's because they're one of the primary schools in a state that has a large population from which to draw players, and their enrollments are indicative of the large state population.

Here is what I found in the hall of fame for the Bison and man do I miss this guy:

Earle Solomonson
Sport
Football Coach

Years Played
1979-86

Year Inducted

Guided North Dakota State to back-to-back NCAA Division II national football championships in his only two seasons as the head coach of the Bison in 1985 and 1986... Named national coach of the year both seasons and finished his career with a 24-2-1 career record...His .907 career winning percentage is the third highest in school history...The Bison were 11-2-1 in 1985 but were just 2-2 after the first four games...NDSU responded with six wins and a tie in the final seven games of the regular season and woke up to a miraculous Sunday morning that saw NDSU vaulted into the national playoffs... Solomonson's crew made the most of the new life and ran through three playoff foes to claim its second national crown in three seasons...Solomonson's second season at the helm (1986) went smoother as the Bison went wire-to-wire to post a perfect 13-0 mark, a second straight national crown, and the third in the last four seasons...The 1986 unit has been acknowledged as one of the top three teams in NCAA Division II history...Solomonson was an assistant coach for the Bison for six seasons before being elevated to the top job in 1985...He was the defensive line coach for all six seasons and the defensive coordinator for the 1984 team that reached the national championship game...All told, he was involved with the Bison over an 8-year span that produced a remarkable 81-17-1 record including three national crowns (1983-85-86) and two national runnerup finishes (1981-84)...Solomonson left the Bison program after the 1986 season and spent five years as the head coach at Montana State University...A native of Minneapolis, MN, he played football at Augsburg College in the late 1960s and was an assistant coach at Richfield High School before serving four seasons as the head coach at Park Center High School in Brooklyn Park, MN...He has been in the insurance industry with Aid Association For Lutherans/Lutheran Brotherhood since 1992 and currently resides in Littleton, Colorado.

There's a pretty nice overview of the Bison in the Missoula newspaper today. Click here for the article.

The Bison wide receivers finished 1st and 2nd in the NCC track meet last spring. Both runners had times that were better than the first place finish in the Big Sky meet.

GrizRanger said:
I have heard that NDSU has bigger O lines and D lines than the Griz and have a couple of players faster than any of the Grizzlies, including a 10.2 second 100 meter man , and a QB who played in the Big Ten last year. While I expect Griz depth, and overall talent and team speed, and home field and huge crowd to lead the Griz to victory, those Griz fans expecting a blowout are being overly optimistic.

After reading how good the Bison think they are....I have changed my opinion on the final score this weekend.

I first said Griz 47 NDSU 16

My new score is Griz 48 NDSU 17

Back