• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Historic Gift"

The University will be announcing an incredibly generous $7MM gift on 11/1 that is dedicated to the construction of the new facility. Very positive things are happening on campus and within the athletic department. Again. Finally.

And I know that some on here won't agree, but I've got to give huge kudos to President Engstrom on this project. It has been his #1 priority for a long time to get this built. He has pushed harder for this than anyone else on campus, so to a large degree this project and it's timing are possible due to the support and drive of President Engstrom. And no, I'm not a supporter of President Engstrom generally because i still have major problems with his (mis)management of prior issue, but I think this project shows that he is indeed a supporter of UM athletics and football, and he is pushing to make significant program improvements.

One thing that should be mentioned here is what Kent Haslam appears to have done since he stepped into the AD spot. (And yes, I know some of these were in the works for a while).

1. Got the Academic Center finalized and under construction
2. Got the Women's softball team going, and the facility under construction.
3. Made a Head BB Coach hire that most people think (as of now) is a great hire.
4. Weight room / Locker room facility is in the works???

For the things that are on his table, I think he needs some credit. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now we will see how he handles the football coach dilemma......................

firmgriz said:
The University will be announcing an incredibly generous $7MM gift on 11/1 that is dedicated to the construction of the new facility. Very positive things are happening on campus and within the athletic department. Again. Finally.

And I know that some on here won't agree, but I've got to give huge kudos to President Engstrom on this project. It has been his #1 priority for a long time to get this built. He has pushed harder for this than anyone else on campus, so to a large degree this project and it's timing are possible due to the support and drive of President Engstrom. And no, I'm not a supporter of President Engstrom generally because i still have major problems with his (mis)management of prior issue, but I think this project shows that he is indeed a supporter of UM athletics and football, and he is pushing to make significant program improvements.
wow! that's a tremendous gift. has to be the largest ever to sports here and is probably in the top three of any gift given to u.m.

great job royce!!!

firmgriz said:
KoolMoeDee said:
18 months ? Is there a indoor practice facility involved ?

No, unfortunately. This project will require the University to relocate its power center, so that is going to take a bit of time up front to do that before they get to building the good stuff.

You sure on that? I think the proposed weight/locker room that is designed will not impact the power center. Did you mean if they put a practice facility there too?

firmgriz said:

What did Engstrom do on this project? Your post surprises me. I have actually never heard his name mentioned once in any conversation I've had with anyone regarding this project.

griz71 said:
PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:
so what was the biggest gift prior to this one? knowing that might provide some context or tell us how big the gift is. what is the price tag for the new locker room and weight room? how much has been raised to date?

$14 million project, I believe. Don't know status of fundraising, but significant progress, I believe. Heard they were were working on figures of 7,5, 1, 1 previously. More recently heard 10. Don't know whether any of those figures are accurate. If the big one materializes, and I assume it must be firm if there is in fact going to be an announcement soon, then the project will likely get done, I think. Approval being sought at next BOR meeting.

And when is the BOR meeting PR?

Nov. 20/21. Missoula. In connection with Griz-Cat game.

BWahlberg said:
firmgriz said:
KoolMoeDee said:
18 months ? Is there a indoor practice facility involved ?

No, unfortunately. This project will require the University to relocate its power center, so that is going to take a bit of time up front to do that before they get to building the good stuff.

You sure on that? I think the proposed weight/locker room that is designed will not impact the power center. Did you mean if they put a practice facility there too?

That's as much as I know about the power center. I've been told that is the first step that will begin next summer and it needs to be completed before they begin the other phases. Again, that's just what I've been told so I can't guarantee that's completely accurate.

CDAGRIZ said:
At the announcement of the Historic Gift, do they plan to release some schematics/mock ups? Or is it going to be the usual hush hush, I know something but I can't tell you, stuff.

I saw the concept drawings a few months ago in the GSA office. HUGE locker and weight areas. Student Athlete lounge. Indoor sprint lanes on the top floor.

So far I think this is the only mock drawing that the university has released to the public, but I'm excited to see what maroonandsilver saw at the GSA office when it goes public!

1656288_302110209938929_5940911747813625597_n.jpg

get'em_griz said:
So far I think this is the only mock drawing that the university has released to the public, but I'm excited to see what maroonandsilver saw at the GSA office when it goes public!

1656288_302110209938929_5940911747813625597_n.jpg

Also this bad boy has GOT to have at least one or two levels of patios off the back...that would be an awesome seat!

gotgame75 said:
Don't think anyone will be shocked at the source of this "Historic Gift"...
i was hoping it was someone besides denny washington but i won't complain. just thought it'd be cool if it was an alum.

If they are going ahead with the last plans released to the public, sometime last winter, than I don't think the football ops building effects the power plant per say, but it does take away most, if not all of that south parking lot.

getgrizzy said:
gotgame75 said:
Don't think anyone will be shocked at the source of this "Historic Gift"...
i was hoping it was someone besides denny washington but i won't complain. just thought it'd be cool if it was an alum.

It's not Denny, but you're VERY close. And your alum requirement will be satisfied.

At the announcement of the Historic Gift, do they plan to release some schematics/mock ups? Or is it going to be the usual hush hush, I know something but I can't tell you, stuff.

If this announcement is indeed relating to the new athletic facilities it will definitely be a game changer for UM. As far as the "hush, hush" it has never been hush, hush. I saw the basic layout of the proposed improvements when the GSA made its rounds in the spring. And yes, President Engstrom, along with Athletic Director Kent Haslam, Associate Athletic Director and GSA Executive Director Greg Sundberg, along with a host of others in the administration, rightly deserve a huge debt of thanks from Griz nation for pushing this forward relentlessly. I, for one, am eternally grateful and incredibly excited to see how the drastic improvement in athletic facilities translates to success on the field. A very contentious thread on this very board regarding whether the Griz are an "elite" program directly relates to this upcoming announcement. In my opinion the Griz are an "elite" FCS program. Elite status is not solely attained on the field of play. Elite status is gained over a period of time and through a long list of attributes, including win-loss records, conference titles, playoff appearances, playoff victories, national championship appearances, national championship victories, fan base, financial support, stadium, facilities, coaching, recruiting, Athletic Department leadership, University Administration leadership, brand recognition, tradition, etc. The University of Montana is at or near the top of practically all of these categories and with the addition of the new Athletic Department facilities over the next few years it will remain so for the foreseeable future. The announcement of these new facilities will help the program immediately with recruiting and in the hiring of new coaches. I believe it could be the biggest contributor to the continued success of Grizzly Athletics since the construction of Washington Grizzly Stadium, which we all know was monumental in the advancement of the football program. Is Griz Nation back you ask....I say it never went away and will retain its "Elite" status for decades to come. GO GRIZ!

One would think Sprunk/Nike might be contributing to upgrades. Also I am sure some former players now in the NFL are in good position to contribute collectively toward upgrades. None of them have signed huge deals, but I have a feeling that is a matter of time. Carpenter will likely have a long NFL Career. Kroy has been in the league awhile. I think Lex qualified for considerable pension (not sure though), Tru getting healthy can help his cause the next year or 2. Coyle and Tripp should have pretty long careers ahead of then. Mariani should have a chance to catch on somewhere next season. Chase and Colt should be close to qualifying for NFL pension within a few years.

If I were a former player making NFL money, I'd certainly contribute to the program significantly.

Either way, this is great news. Thank you to whomever is making the huge contribution.

Either way, this is great news. Thank you to whomever is making the huge contribution

Ditto on that. And just as importantly thanks to all the little donors that gave $20, $50, $100 or more. It all adds up. If you haven't donated, it's not too late. In fact, it's never too late. Join the Grizzly Scholarship Association (GSA) and give a little every year. It all adds up.

Griz90 said:
Either way, this is great news. Thank you to whomever is making the huge contribution

Ditto on that. And just as importantly thanks to all the little donors that gave $20, $50, $100 or more. It all adds up. If you haven't donated, it's not too late. In fact, it's never too late. Join the Grizzly Scholarship Association (GSA) and give a little every year. It all adds up.

There's also facilities commitments from the GSA and from (gasp) Main Hall - per what I'm told.

Going to try to put something together on here next week to do an egriz drive to build funds for facilities in pledges.

Back