• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If Stitt ends up a bust next season, who would you hire?

get'em_griz said:
I think that if Stitt is unable to get it done, then bring back Pflugrad. Give him another chance now that his executioner is gone.

Would the BoR let him go back to UM to coach?

MikeyGriz said:
He'd never take the job, but I would hire Dave Dickenson.
I tell you what, if you guys did get DD to be your HC, there would be a lot of sad folks in Bozeman. I hope Stitt stays for the next ten years.

I think its interesting that after allll the bitching about Stitt that only a couple of replacements can be named.

Im in the boat that you should give a coach that has shown promise at least 5 years....3 to show drastic improvement with his guys in there....weve had one successful year under Stitt, one not so successful....

Next year will be a big year for him. I think in 5 years we will be very happy we hired Stitt.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I see zero wrong with an AD making some phone calls to possible candidates.

I think it would be interesting to know how many applied for the position, how many applications were given serious review and how many applicants were personally contacted by the AD. How many applicants were interviewed?
I may be under the false impression that Stitt was contacted without applying and was being promoted by his mentor and former U Coach Joe Glenn.
Just how was Stitt chosen over the other applicants? If I am under false impressions please correct me.

I do not know how he was chosen over others, but it is pretty normal for AD's to contact coaches, even those that did not initially apply. Also, it is not uncommon for former ADs or coaches, like Glenn, to call an AD and tout another coach for a position.

Thank you for your input. I still am wondering how the whole process went and how many candidates were given the same treatment as Stitt.

If you have an issue with Haslam's process for Stitt, then I'm assuming you take issue with the same way Haslam went after Baldwin. Beau didn't apply for the job or call and ask about it. Haslam pursued him HARD. Phone calls and two trips to Spokane. So in the interest of fairness, if you're questioning the manner in which Kent went after Stitt, then it applies to how he tried to get Beau too.

George Ferguson said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
I think it would be interesting to know how many applied for the position, how many applications were given serious review and how many applicants were personally contacted by the AD. How many applicants were interviewed?
I may be under the false impression that Stitt was contacted without applying and was being promoted by his mentor and former U Coach Joe Glenn.
Just how was Stitt chosen over the other applicants? If I am under false impressions please correct me.

I do not know how he was chosen over others, but it is pretty normal for AD's to contact coaches, even those that did not initially apply. Also, it is not uncommon for former ADs or coaches, like Glenn, to call an AD and tout another coach for a position.

Thank you for your input. I still am wondering how the whole process went and how many candidates were given the same treatment as Stitt.

If you have an issue with Haslam's process for Stitt, then I'm assuming you take issue with the same way Haslam went after Baldwin. Beau didn't apply for the job or call and ask about it. Haslam pursued him HARD. Phone calls and two trips to Spokane. So in the interest of fairness, if you're questioning the manner in which Kent went after Stitt, then it applies to how he tried to get Beau too.

Theres no issue with how he went after Stitt.....its college football..not an office job where you sit down and compare resumes over the past 10 years....

You know the product on the field, you know how the program was ran, not everyone gets the same treatment...

Would you pursue Nick Saban the same way you'd pursue Rob Ash??? Probably not.

Not that I WANT him to be let go after next season, but I've been thinking it would benefit us to have one, or both of the following things in our next head coach (if Stitt doesn't work)
1. Somebody with Montana ties. Somebody who understands the tradition, understands the rivalry with state, and somebody who will do his darndest to excite not only the student athletes, but also the fan base.
2. Somebody who comes from a D1 background. I feel state's coach has an advantage because he has recently held a high position in a D1 (a recently successful D1 program) program. He is, in a sense, "coming down" to coach at the FCS level. I believe this gives him an advantage particularly in recruiting and cultivation of a winning culture at an FBS or FCS level. Not that a coach can't move up levels, it's just that perhaps Stitt isn't head coach material at this or higher levels. I feel we need somebody who understands what it takes to run the show at a larger university with a larger, more "expecting" football program.
Just my thoughts.

Go Griz!

UMGriz75 said:
Interesting to note that Bob Stitt was not Haslam's first choice.

Umm that isn't new news. It was made very public how hard Stitt went after Beau Baldwin. Everyone knew he tried that before he talked to anyone else. It was a futile attempt though. Baldwin said no thank you not once but twice before Kent moved on.

Royce gone.... Stitt's stress level just went up....next year is even more important now since new president has no direct ties to Haslam or Stitt hires. Might have far different views of where the program is headed and a complete different group of "advisors"

Pater_Ursus_Arctos said:
Dont know who, but would seek a coach that has the same program mind set as Alabama and NDSU. That would be my first step.

3-4 yards and a pile of dust on Offense and a hard nose for Defense.

So......Larry Donovan then? :roll: :roll:

Ursus1 said:
Royce gone.... Stitt's stress level just went up....next year is even more important now since new president has no direct ties to Haslam or Stitt hires. Might have far different views of where the program is headed and a complete different group of "advisors"

I don't think this is the case at all. Stitt knows what type of pressure he is under, and it is my understanding that an extension is sitting in the hands of the BOR currently. If he does sign an extension, I struggle to believe that UM is in any position to fire him before it is up and pay 2 head coaches. Will the BOR approve the extension soon will be worth watching.

get'em_griz said:
I think that if Stitt is unable to get it done, then bring back Pflugrad. Give him another chance now that his executioner is gone.
I agree. I think it is a great idea. Pflugrad really got hosed unless there is something the public dosent know about which I suspect may be the case.

AZGrizFan said:
Pater_Ursus_Arctos said:
Dont know who, but would seek a coach that has the same program mind set as Alabama and NDSU. That would be my first step.

So......Larry Donovan then? :roll: :roll:

I heard Earle Solomonson is still alive and kicking

HelenaHandBasket said:
Ursus1 said:

I don't think this is the case at all. Stitt knows what type of pressure he is under, and it is my understanding that an extension is sitting in the hands of the BOR currently. If he does sign an extension, I struggle to believe that UM is in any position to fire him before it is up and pay 2 head coaches. Will the BOR approve the extension soon will be worth watching.
Why would they give him an extension now?

BillingsMafia said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Ursus1 said:

Why wouldn't they? My guess is they approve a 1 year extension and then revisit when they hire a new President.

Pater_Ursus_Arctos said:

That wont work at Montana. Need a guy like Read who can develope quarterbacks and understands the short passing game. Montana cant get the offensive linemen to play that style. Hauck had success but couldnt get to the top.

HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Ursus1 said:

Why wouldn't they? My guess is they approve a 1 year extension and then revisit when they hire a new President.
Because he had a sub par year and is not getting much support and boosters may not donate as much if they do because it would piss off alot of people. Thats why.

BillingsMafia said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Because he had a sub par year and is not getting much support and boosters may not donate as much if they do because it would piss off alot of people. Thats why.

If Haslem thought they would not approve, he would never have started the process. It does not bode well for an AD to proceed with an extension for a coach and have it declined. He has already talked with the members of the BOR and knows how it will go. The caveat would be if they decide to table it until a new President is on board, but from what I have heard, this will most likely not be the case.

Back