• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If Stitt ends up a bust next season, who would you hire?

Why in the world would Hauck opt for HC @ MT, when he's making a good living in San Diego, an idyllic place? I could see him coaching STs in the NFL; he's that good.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Inspector Griz said:
Johnathan Smith-Great young coach on the rise. Stitts recruits would fit his system. Could be gone quickly!
Robin Pflugrad- Was a scape goat and deserves another shot. Stitt recruits woukd fit his system I believe. Might bale for greener pastures should he have winning seasons.
Bobby Hauck- Proven winner at UM. I think could work and get the most out of Stitts recruits while Bobby brings in players for his system. Would most likely stay a very long time should he produce. Very good possibility to bring UM back to national power.
Mike Brenske??? He was with the Cougs but not sure where his is now.

OK list, but I don't see any of them as a Griz head coach in the future.

Solid list, and I really would love to see Pflu back. He was royally screwed over and had the program heading to national prominence again. I feel that would right the wrong. I really am not a huge fan of Breske being a HC. He strikes me as a great DC, but questionable HC.

Bobby Hauck, only if he commits to a great OC (Pflu), and not go away from the spread, but add some power formations, when needed. I am pretty high on Stitt's recruits and would hate to see us lose them by changing back to another system.

I'd be open to Johnathan Smith. I'd like to find out what kind of staff he would bring with him though.

As for current GRIZ coaches, I'd love to see Justin Green eventually be given more responsibility and opportunity. I actually like the fact that he is not a defensive or offensive expert. I feel he would be a great overseer (similar to how Hauck did). He would surround himself with a great DC and great OC, and put his trust in them. There is just something about Justin Green that I very much respect and admire as a coach. I would like to see Selle promoted to OC as well, and be our next HC in waiting. Would Schillinger be ready to take on being a DC ? I honestly believe Selle and Schillinger in time will be head coaches. What kind of interest would Brandon Fisher have as a DC ?

If he'd be willing to part from the NFL, I wonder if Tim Hauck would be interested? What kind of staff could he bring with him?

A young offensive minded coach I am keeping my eye on, Kendal Briles (Baylor OC). He graduated college in 2006, and his old man is one of the top offensive minds in all of football. Plus, this would open a huge Texas pipeline. Then again, if he were successful, he might move on pretty quickly.

By the way, I still believe in Stitt. Barring a huge collapse next season, I feel he will get a 4th season. With that said, I feel, no worse than a 5-3 conference record should be expected for him to be given a 4th season.

Serious question. If Pflu is such a great coach, why hasn't he landed somewhere else and taken a different program to prominence? There is a lot of talent out there so I'm curious as to why most of the names being mentioned are former griz players or former griz coaches. There is plenty of this at BN as well mind you. Plenty of fans want DM back as an OC or quarterbacks coach. Plenty think that Ione is a great defensive mind. But this thread is about the griz. Where is Pflu now?

AZGrizFan said:
Pater_Ursus_Arctos said:
Dont know who, but would seek a coach that has the same program mind set as Alabama and NDSU. That would be my first step.

3-4 yards and a pile of dust on Offense and a hard nose for Defense.

So......Larry Donovan then? :roll: :roll:

Ya AZ, tjat was the exact person I was thinking about... :roll: :roll:

227GRIZ said:
Matt Lubick, Mark Helfrich, Jed Stugart, Johnathan Smith, Tosh lupoi, Brandon Fisher, Chuck Cecil, Tim Hauck, are names Id consider

This has probably been addressed by now, but Helfrich? Are you serious?

Htowngriz said:
227GRIZ said:
Matt Lubick, Mark Helfrich, Jed Stugart, Johnathan Smith, Tosh lupoi, Brandon Fisher, Chuck Cecil, Tim Hauck, are names Id consider

This has probably been addressed by now, but Helfrich? Are you serious?

Bill Belichick, Vince Lombardi, Knute Rockne, Nick Saban, Tony Dungy, Bill Walsh, and Urban Meyer just below those guys on that list.

Lubic and Helfrich just lost jobs, Stugart is a d2 coach Smith is highly paid but may want that head coaching experience. Loupoi has never been more then a position coach (the hands down best recruiter in the nation) Fisher, Cecil, and Hauck are all closely tied to Montana and the way of life. All would be worth a Call.

227GRIZ said:
Lubic and Helfrich just lost jobs, Stugart is a d2 coach Smith is highly paid but may want that head coaching experience. Loupoi has never been more then a position coach (the hands down best recruiter in the nation) Fisher, Cecil, and Hauck are all closely tied to Montana and the way of life. All would be worth a Call.

Lubick was being paid $600,000 and Helfrich averages about $3.5 million. There is 0 chance they would even be available next year and 0 chance they would come here.

Stugart is a D2 coach indeed and I can assure you that they will not be searching the D2 pipeline right after letting Stitt go.

Jonathan Smith is no more than two seasons away from being a HC at the FBS level.

Tosh would be an interesting get for a DC if he got a little more experience than just OLB coach, but he is not HC material as of now.

Fisher has solely been a position coach and again similar to Tosh needs strict DC experience, in my opinion, before taking on the role of HC. I don't believe he's ever even recruited before.

Tim would be a great get, but I don't think he'd be interested.

It's tough to say who would be available in a year's time as well and the direction the program would want to head. Would it want to find a coach to fit the spread system Stitt is trying to run so we don't have to go through another system change? Too many variables currently to even predict with a fraction of accuracy.

Good points and interesting topic 95. Not sure if it was O'day or Hogan that said they always kept a list in there top drawer. I can see what you are saying about Smith, Tim, and to a degree Stugart. Yes It would be very hard to read the tea leaves for the end of Next year, but I could honestly see Lubick being an option. If you were Haslem who would be on the list in your top Drawer? The problem is that people who have experience as a DC or OC at a Big time school make more that the HC at Montana, Hell most Position coach's do just look at Choate. If I was AD I would want a young dynamic recruiter, with ties to the Northwest, and a solid understanding of what Montana football means to the university and the State. Other Names I'd put on my list may include Brett Brennan, Legi Suiaunoa (dc), Brent Vigen, and Zac Hill

mtgrizrule said:
By the way, I still believe in Stitt. Barring a huge collapse next season, I feel he will get a 4th season. With that said, I feel, no worse than a 5-3 conference record should be expected for him to be given a 4th season.

No Griz coach should ever lose 3 conference games. EVER! It pisses me off just thinking about it.

HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
Why would they give him an extension now?

Why wouldn't they? My guess is they approve a 1 year extension and then revisit when they hire a new President.
Because he had a sub par year and is not getting much support and boosters may not donate as much if they do because it would piss off alot of people. Thats why.

If Haslem thought they would not approve, he would never have started the process. It does not bode well for an AD to proceed with an extension for a coach and have it declined. He has already talked with the members of the BOR and knows how it will go. The caveat would be if they decide to table it until a new President is on board, but from what I have heard, this will most likely not be the case.
The BOR is not considering a Stitt contract extension nor has Haslam asked for one.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Why wouldn't they? My guess is they approve a 1 year extension and then revisit when they hire a new President.
Because he had a sub par year and is not getting much support and boosters may not donate as much if they do because it would piss off alot of people. Thats why.

If Haslem thought they would not approve, he would never have started the process. It does not bode well for an AD to proceed with an extension for a coach and have it declined. He has already talked with the members of the BOR and knows how it will go. The caveat would be if they decide to table it until a new President is on board, but from what I have heard, this will most likely not be the case.
The BOR is not considering a Stitt contract extension nor has Haslam asked for one.

Wait, George Foreman (Havgriz) posted just the opposite...the extension was waiting their action. I just don't know who to trust anymore on the internet. Sad really. :lol:

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Says Growler, who produced an "e-mail repsonse" where interestingly, the Commissioner of Higher Education spelled Haslam's name wrong. LOL.

Pater_Ursus_Arctos said:
Dont know who, but would seek a coach that has the same program mind set as Alabama and NDSU. That would be my first step.

Because it's impossible to have a great, hard nose defense unless you couple it with a boring offense?? :roll:

BillingsMafia said:
griz5700 said:
BillingsMafia said:
Pater_Ursus_Arctos said:

That wont work at Montana. Need a guy like Read who can develope quarterbacks and understands the short passing game. Montana cant get the offensive linemen to play that style. Hauck had success but couldnt get to the top.

How can anyone say Hauck 's system couldn't get to the top?? What he accomplished is incredible. Hauck 's style wins championships, just look at NDSU. UM has every ability to get those recruits.
I watched Bobby's team for years, yes much better than what we have now but could not win the championship. I always thought it was lack of a creative short passing game. Deep in the playoffs the griz could not dominate the top competition. Year after year. That's how.

Let's not forget why Pat Williams called the team Thug Nation.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Let's not forget why Pat Williams called the team Thug Nation.
Damned good point! RE cleaned house, which he had to do, given the years of "thuggery" that kept the Griz program in unfavorable news. So, now, the program has been rebuilding, basically, from scratch, not to mention the schollies eliminated by the NCAA.

Yes, I would love to see the Griz back into their former glory. But, in the meantime, other BSC and FCS teams are improving. It's gonna take time & maybe give Stitt 4 years to get the program back on a championship track. But, the jury is out whether the program can get back to its former glory w/o recruiting and playing "thugs."

Latest posts

Back