• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

In-State football recruits for 2013

Paytonlives said:
PolsonGrizFan said:
This Fridays A games will have several possible msu/UM players.

Give us some names...

Payton add Billings Central's kicker/punter, Luke Daly.
Rumor mill here has him contacted by several big programs. It's no rumor this guy has FBS talent, though I'd love to see him end up in Missoula. I've been very impressed as I watched him the past two years. He has a huge leg with many of his kickoffs at, or near, the end line of the end zone.

He's also very accurate. I've seen him nail several long field goals (45-50). Though his stats will show primarily extra points. Unfortunately for him, Billings Central doesn't need many field goals. They average 47 points per game this season (which already includes wins over 6 of this year's Class A playoff teams). All I can say is Montana better be recruiting him. Even as a high school senior, I'd easily exchange him for current kicker.
:ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:
Rumor mill here has him contacted by several big programs. It's no rumor this guy has FBS talent, though I'd love to see him end up in Missoula. I've been very impressed as I watched him the past two years. He has a huge leg with many of his kickoffs at, or near, the end line of the end zone.

He's also very accurate. I've seen him nail several long field goals (45-50). Though his stats will show primarily extra points. Unfortunately for him, Billings Central doesn't need many field goals. They average 47 points per game this season (which already includes wins over 6 of this year's Class A playoff teams). All I can say is Montana better be recruiting him. Even as a high school senior, I'd easily exchange him for current kicker.

Lider has missed 4 field goals all year and 2 of them were blocked. The 2 he missed were both on grass and one was a high snap. He is 15 for 19 for 78.9%. That is better than the freshman year for Carpenter (and pretty equivalent to his senior year when he was 24 for 30 or 80%), Snyder (he was 16 for 30 in 2001 or 53.3% when we won the National Championship) and better than McKnight who was 9 for 16 his freshman year for a blistering 56.2%. All three of them had an opportunity to play at the pro level.

What do you want? I am not saying Daly isn't good but he won't be better. Sometimes we have to be content with what we have. According to the Billings Central football stats for 2012 he is 7 for 11 on field goals with a long of 41.

Griz1 said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

Lider has missed 4 field goals all year and 2 of them were blocked. The 2 he missed were both on grass and one was a high snap. He is 15 for 19 for 78.9%. That is better than the freshman year for Carpenter (and pretty equivalent to his senior year when he was 24 for 30 or 80%), Snyder (he was 16 for 30 in 2001 or 53.3% when we won the National Championship) and better than McKnight who was 9 for 16 his freshman year for a blistering 56.2%. All three of them had an opportunity to play at the pro level.

What do you want? I am not saying Daly isn't good but he won't be better. Sometimes we have to be content with what we have. According to the Billings Central football stats for 2012 he is 7 for 11 on field goals with a long of 41.

The grass is always greener, Griz1. :lol: :lol:

Griz1 said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

Yes the grass is always greener. I guess with Lider I just don't "trust" him yet. In addition to shanking some field goals he shanked some of his kickoffs out of bounds. In essence, his kicks remind me far too much of my own golf shots. Right there, that should tell you there is a problem. :eek:

bigsky33 said:
The word is out that Quinn McQreary from Manhattan gave a verbal to the Cats last night.

Not a big surprise. He was going to be a tough get considering a lot of his friends/girlfriend go to MSU.

It doesn't really look like a great Sr. Class for MT AA. The Billings teams seem to be down, CMR just lost to Butte. No offense to Butte but it's enrollment is small for AA which makes it hard to field a complete team.

Hated hearing McQueary verbaled to MSU. Unlike Cat fans, I would never use their "we didn't want him anyway" mantra. That's a great get for MSU. He'll be a beast at safety. No doubt in my mind.

havgrizfan said:
Hated hearing McQueary verbaled to MSU. Unlike Cat fans, I would never use their "we didn't want him anyway" mantra. That's a great get for MSU. He'll be a beast at safety. No doubt in my mind.

Apparently he has his mind set on playing QB. So as of right now, that's the position he'll play. Maybe they'll change him to a safety down the road, but who knows.

havgrizfan said:

I think he would be a great safety as well, but interestingly enough, it looks like he is slated to play QB at MSU.

http://www.bobcatnation.com/node/27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By COLTER NUANEZ
Bobcat Beat

For being the 54th-largest high school in Montana, Manhattan High is starting to become a Big Sky Conference hotbed for football recruits.

The Class B school may only have 204 students, but two of the Tigers' last three football teams have produced a Division I player. John Weidenaar, a 6-foot-7, 277-pound man-child, is currently a redshirt freshman and starting left tackle on the No. 2 Montana State Bobcats.

Friday afternoon, the Bobcat Beat confirmed Manhattan senior Quinn McQueary is the newest Bobcat. Manhattan High School athletic director Pat Lynch confirmed that McQueary gave his verbal commitment to Montana State on Thursday night, saying "Quinn is excited" about becoming a Bobcat.

Two-time Class B all-state linemen Austin Oldenburger, a Manhattan junior, is also widely considered to be a Division I prospect. Freshman Cale Howells, a former Tiger himself, is a walk-on linebacker for MSU this fall.

Quinn McQueary said the chance to reunite with teammates was neat, but neither former Tiger put pressure on McQueary to become a Bobcat. The Manhattan star was also recruited by the University of Montana.

“I know a lot of people who have played here; Cale Howells, he played receiver for us last year at Manhattan last year and playing with again with Big John for another few years will be tremendous,” McQueary said on Saturday morning before MSU's 65-30 win over Portland State. “John called me (Friday) night and congradulated. He didn’t put too much pressure on me. I know when he was trying to pick between the Cats and the Griz, a lot of guys were putting pressure on him, but he kept it at a minimum because he knows how it feels.”

The commitment ends a recruiting battle across the Treasure State. Dale McQueary, Quinn's father and the head coach of the Tigers football team, told me before the season that Quinn had received interest from nearly every college football team in the state.

“We’ve been looking at this for probably six years, wondering what was going to happen, where he was going to go,” Dale McQueary said. “We should have done a few things if he would have wanted to play one more level up, but the thing you have to do if you want to do that is you have to get out and get your name out there, go to camps and stuff like that. But he’s a Montana kid and from what I get from being around him all the time, he loves it here, he’s excited about his choice and he’s fired up to come to MSU.”

McQueary joins a Bobcat team with four scholarship quarterbacks on their roster. Junior DeNarius McGhee, the all-time leader in program history for wins (27) and touchdown passes (65) in a career, is the incumbent and will serve as a mentor to McQueary and three other understudies next fall. Jake Bleskin (6-1, 186) is a redshirt freshman from Great Falls. Dakota Prukop, a 6-3, 179-pounder from Austin, Texas, and Austin Barth, a 6-foot-5, 210-pounder from Columbia Falls are both redshirting this fall.

The opportunity to be an understudy of McGhee's was a big factor in Quinn's decision to stay in the Gallatin Valley.

“The schooling is definitely a big factor in my decision, but being able to come in and work under DeNarius for a year was probably the biggest factor in me choosing to come here,,” McQueary said. “That’s going to be a huge stepping stone for me to learn from him and a great coaching staff. Having a team that’s on the up-and-up, so successful, winning in the right way, it made it an easy decision for me.”

“We discussed that the night he was going to make his decision, two, three nights ago,” Dale McQueary said. “I told him, I said ‘It would be pretty neat to play one year under DeNarius and to learn a lot of things about being a quarterback and being an athlete on and off the field.’ DeNarius brings so much to the table. It will be great for Quinn.

“Three or four years ago, we were thinking when Quinn was a freshman, DeNarius would be a senior and that will be kind of cool. Quinn’s comment was ‘well, maybe he will learn from me.’ He has the attitude, he will work hard and we will see where things will go.”

The Tigers saw their most recent season end in disappointing fashion. No. 1 Manhattan went to Missoula and was trounced by Loyola, 41-13. McQueary completed 18 passes for 179 yards and a touchdown, but was intercepted six times.

“That will be tremendous motivation for me,” McQueary said. “Making this decision took a lot of weight off my shoulders and that loss gives me something to play for, something to motivate me to get ready for next year.”

Quinn McQueary carries on a long lineage of family who have been Bobcats. His mother's parents are MSU alums, and his aunt and uncle were MSU rodeo stars. Dale's brother is a big Bobcat supporter too.

“He’s made himself happy, but he’s made a lot other people too,” Dale McQueary said.

Montana State coaches are not allowed to comment on verbally committed recruits until National Signing Day on Feb. 1 of 2013.

Colter Nuanez can be reached at [email protected].

Kid's a stud athlete. i won't speculate on if he can play QB at MSU, though I've heard many fans have already annointed Prukop over Bleskin to replace DM. Bottom line is though, the Cats will be better for having this kid on their roster.

:clap: Bozeman Hawks vs. Butte Bulldogs this Friday at 7pm for the State AA Football Championship game. A lot of talent on both of these teams. Watch out for NT #73 for the Hawks.

griz4life said:
It doesn't really look like a great Sr. Class for MT AA. The Billings teams seem to be down, CMR just lost to Butte. No offense to Butte but it's enrollment is small for AA which makes it hard to field a complete team.

Nice call there....

Back