• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is this the year?

The two teams this year who could win the conference or just fall to pieces depending on the health of their QB is MSU and Cal Poly. Of course all teams depend on the health of their #1 QB but these two both have systems that put more (MUCH more for CPSLO) emphasis on the QB running the ball and creating opportunities when he does so. Both schools last year had issue with their starting QBs getting hurt and it really killed their momentum in November.

If Prukop and Brown stay healthy both the Cats and Poly would be in excellent shape to win the Big Sky. If they get hurt and are either heavily limited or have to sit for weeks, especially late in the season, it could sink either team.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Mavman said:
Is this the year MSU wins the national championship??
They have the best offense in the big sky, defense should be better. They have been improving each year for the last 5-6 seasons. will it all come together this year??

The Cats have the best offense in the Big Sky?
The Cat defense is better?
The Cats have been improving the last 5-6 years?

Not one thing you said is true...

This is my view too.

MSU should have a good or very good offense, and it could end up at the top of the conference, but I doubt it. The offense and Prukup were much better when he ran and scrambled last year, but, as I said last year earlier in the season, most smaller qb's who run alot eventually get it hurt. While 200 lbs isn't small, it is usually not enough size for a running qb to avoid injury in the long run. Defensive players are not afraid of 200 pounders and will come up hard and tee off on a qb that size as much as they can. With bigger and tougher qb's, corners and smaller safeties don't come up as hard and tee off as much--as a bigger qb may run over them.

Cat defense will be mediocre or maybe a bit better. Ione is an improvement at DC, but he still has to work with largely personnel.

Cat special teams should be pretty good.

My theory, admittedly based on little, is that MSU tends to start stronger and fade later in the season because they and Ash haven't been in the playoff hunt so consistently to have learned and practiced what Bobby Hauck did and articulated for the Griz. Hauck went out of his way to build steam over the season and avoid peaking too soon. He wanted to be starting to play his best ball in November. He wanted to avoid injuries. He substituted alot and platooned. He didn't let backs like Hilliard and Reynolds carry 25 or 30 times a game until later in the season. He didn't want to play the top FCS teams early in the season; he wanted to play them later in the season, i.e. the playoffs. I don't think he was overly excited about FBS games, but don't know for sure. He liked early season DII games, for developing younger personnel and giving them a chance to get the feel of being on the field (and get motivated to ward hard to get back on the field as the season went on), and for giving the team an easier game. The Cats often seem to gear up for big games early in the season, including fBS game, perform fairly well, and then run out of steam later in the season and certainly the playoffs. In short, he planned and managed for the team to playing its best ball later in the season and in the playoffs. On the other hand, he thought the playoffs made the season too long for the players and coaches. Just too many games for college players.

I'll book mark this. Rock solid veteran huge O line, playmaker receivers everywhere, a freakshow NFL caliber TE, excellent RB's, continuity with OC and players finally having multiple years in the system, and Dakota Prukop. We'll definitely be scoring well into the 40's on average once again. D will be the question.

You should pay attention to and bookmark almost every I say. The Cat O racked up yards and points against weaker and mediocre defenses last year (Davis was last in the conference and Black Hills St), but struggled most of the time against good defenses (Ark St, North Dakota and UM, and even Cal Poly and Weber). MSU put up 40 points per game against only 6 teams last year (Black Hills St,, Central Ark, EWU, SS, Davis and ISU). If you think that is impressive and all-world, think again. And, without Prukop, who I doubt will have a great season for injury or other reasons, the Cat O is nothing great. Also, your description of the offense is more than over the top. Shows you don't understand the game, and probably never played it.

giphy.gif

BigSkyBears said:
They're my pick to win the conference. I think the conference will end up being...

1. MSU
2. ISU
3. EWU
4. UM
5. Cal Poly
6. UNC
7. Sac State
8. NAU
9. Weber State
10. UND
11. UC Davis
12. Southern Utah
13. Portland State

I can also see the Bobcats losing in the chipper to the likes of Illinois State.

With or without Marshaun Coprich ????

You should pay attention to and bookmark almost every I say. The Cat O racked up yards and points against weaker and mediocre defenses last year (Davis was last in the conference and Black Hills St), but struggled most of the time against good defenses (Ark St, North Dakota and UM, and even Cal Poly and Weber). MSU put up 40 points per game against only 6 teams last year (Black Hills St,, Central Ark, EWU, SS, Davis and ISU). If you think that is impressive and all-world, think again. And, without Prukop, who I doubt will have a great season for injury or other reasons, the Cat O is nothing great. Also, your description of the offense is more than over the top. Shows you don't understand the game, and probably never played it.[/quote]

:lol: Well if you don't think Prukop is going to have a good season, and our O is "nothing great" then I don't know what to tell you. This from the self proclaimed football knowledge expert because he "played the game at a high level.." You can pick and choose certain games all you want and I can counter them all day. We put up 44 points against ISU with our backup QB. We put up 40 points against SDSU (Pretty damn good defense throughout the season. In fact they crushed Cal Poly 44 to 18 whereas Cal Poly crushed your supposedly incredible defense 41 to 21?) with a gimpy Prukop.

You keep mentioning how you think Prukop is going to get hurt again, we'll see. The coaches and prukop have talked at length how he needed to reduce the number of runs, and also know how to slide instead of taking a hit. It's been a learning curve for him to stay in the pocket because he knows he's likely the fastest player on the field 9 times out of 10, he's a tough sonofabitch that like to hit (former safety). I have a feeling he'll stay relatively healthy this year but you never know. I happen to think your QB is more likely to get hurt in 2015 because he's not mobile, you have a weak OL, and you're going to double the number of snaps. Then if you need a backup to step in early it sounds like you'll be in a world of trouble at the QB position if you aren't already.

You should pay attention to and bookmark almost every I say. The Cat O racked up yards and points against weaker and mediocre defenses last year (Davis was last in the conference and Black Hills St), but struggled most of the time against good defenses (Ark St, North Dakota and UM, and even Cal Poly and Weber). MSU put up 40 points per game against only 6 teams last year (Black Hills St,, Central Ark, EWU, SS, Davis and ISU). If you think that is impressive and all-world, think again. And, without Prukop, who I doubt will have a great season for injury or other reasons, the Cat O is nothing great. Also, your description of the offense is more than over the top. Shows you don't understand the game, and probably never played it.[/quote]

You keep mentioning how you think Prukop is going to get hurt again, we'll see. The coaches and Prukop have talked at length how he needed to reduce the number of runs, and also know how to slide instead of taking a hit. It's been a learning curve for him to stay in the pocket because he knows he's likely the fastest player on the field 9 times out of 10, he's a tough sonofabitch that like to hit (former safety). I have a feeling he'll stay relatively healthy this year but you never know. I happen to think your QB is more likely to get hurt in 2015 because he's not mobile, you have a weak OL, and you're going to double the number of snaps. Then if you need a backup to step in early it sounds like you'll be in a world of trouble at the QB position if you aren't already.

You should pay attention to and bookmark almost every I say. The Cat O racked up yards and points against weaker and mediocre defenses last year (Davis was last in the conference and Black Hills St), but struggled most of the time against good defenses (Ark St, North Dakota and UM, and even Cal Poly and Weber). MSU put up 40 points per game against only 6 teams last year (Black Hills St,, Central Ark, EWU, SS, Davis and ISU). If you think that is impressive and all-world, think again. And, without Prukop, who I doubt will have a great season for injury or other reasons, the Cat O is nothing great. Also, your description of the offense is more than over the top. Shows you don't understand the game, and probably never played it.

You keep mentioning how you think Prukop is going to get hurt again, we'll see. The coaches and Prukop have talked at length how he needed to reduce the number of runs, and also know how to slide instead of taking a hit. It's been a learning curve for him to stay in the pocket because he knows he's likely the fastest player on the field 9 times out of 10, he's a tough sonofabitch that like to hit (former safety). I have a feeling he'll stay relatively healthy this year but you never know. I happen to think your QB is more likely to get hurt in 2015 because he's not mobile, you have a weak OL, and you're going to double the number of snaps. Then if you need a backup to step in early it sounds like you'll be in a world of trouble at the QB position if you aren't already.

Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:
They're my pick to win the conference. I think the conference will end up being...

1. MSU
2. ISU
3. EWU
4. UM
5. Cal Poly
6. UNC
7. Sac State
8. NAU
9. Weber State
10. UND
11. UC Davis
12. Southern Utah
13. Portland State

I can also see the Bobcats losing in the chipper to the likes of Illinois State.

No offense but you lost me at #6 please explain??

UNC? Easy explanation.
A. We have a very, very, soft schedule
B. Our LB's were a weak spot last season against the run. Mainly because of injury. We had our all-conference LB, Leilon Willingham out for the entire season last year, and he's back. Also added depth with JC transfers.
C. Another weakness was offensive line. They were very young last season, but they're a year older now. Plus a little bit of depth with an experienced FBS drop-down coming in.

The only question mark is QB. Last seasons starter, Sean Rubalcaba dropped down to D2 Colorado Mesa (said he was homesick, even though Grand Junction is only four hours away :roll: ). But we do have Jon Newsom who played pretty well last season, including a good game against the Griz; considering he knew he was going to start literally within minutes of game time.

poorgriz said:

:lol: Well if you don't think Prukop is going to have a good season, and our O is "nothing great" then I don't know what to tell you. This from the self proclaimed football knowledge expert because he "played the game at a high level.." You can pick and choose certain games all you want and I can counter them all day. We put up 44 points against ISU with our backup QB. We put up 40 points against SDSU (Pretty damn good defense throughout the season. In fact they crushed Cal Poly 44 to 18 whereas Cal Poly crushed your supposedly incredible defense 41 to 21?) with a gimpy Prukop.

You keep mentioning how you think Prukop is going to get hurt again, we'll see. The coaches and prukop have talked at length how he needed to reduce the number of runs, and also know how to slide instead of taking a hit. It's been a learning curve for him to stay in the pocket because he knows he's likely the fastest player on the field 9 times out of 10, he's a tough sonofabitch that like to hit (former safety). I have a feeling he'll stay relatively healthy this year but you never know. I happen to think your QB is more likely to get hurt in 2015 because he's not mobile, you have a weak OL, and you're going to double the number of snaps. Then if you need a backup to step in early it sounds like you'll be in a world of trouble at the QB position if you aren't already.[/quote]

Not only do you not understand the game, and apparently never played the game, you can't read either. Please don't tell us that you can't read and comprehend this sentence of mine. "And, without Prukop, who I doubt will have a great season for injury or other reasons, the Cat O is nothing great." Note it says your offense is is nothing great WITHOUT Prukop. I see that you took out the paragraph in the 2d and 3d time you made the same post, but missed it in this first time.

Note that my discussion is about the Cat team, the Cat O, and Prukop. If you want to discuss the Griz or the Griz qb, start another thread. What happens to Prukop is not influenced by what happens to the Griz qb. Please don't tell us that you don't understand that.

Htowngriz said:
So nice he had to post it thrice.

He actually made the post 3 times, but apparently trying to delete his first dumb paragraph, which I caught him on, and instead made the post without the dumb paragraph 2 more times. He doesn't know how to use the quote function either. Jeez.

PlayerRep said:
Htowngriz said:

He actually made the post 3 times, but apparently trying to delete his first dumb paragraph, which I caught him on, and instead made the post without the dumb paragraph 2 more times. He doesn't know how to use the quote function either. Jeez.

Thrice = 3

and.... You didnt use the quote function properly either when you were replying to poorgriz.

omm.gif

grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:
Htowngriz said:

Thrice = 3

and.... You didnt use the quote function properly either when you were replying to poorgriz.

omm.gif

Correct on thrice. However, incorrect on my usage of quote function. poorgriz had goofed up useage, so it translated to my usage.

grizcountry420 said:

Mods, please get rid of 420? His posts are useless and a waste of space. On some devices, they're hard to open and deal with. 420 provides nothing useful to egriz. This is a football board, not a site to post photos and videos--unless they are relevant. Every time I see one of his useless posts, I'm going to continue to complain.

poorgriz said:
I'll book mark this. Rock solid veteran huge O line, playmaker receivers everywhere, a freakshow NFL caliber TE, excellent RB's, continuity with OC and players finally having multiple years in the system, and Dakota Prukop. We'll definitely be scoring well into the 40's on average once again. D will be the question.

Well this pretty much sums up every Cat fan from New Years until Halloween...freakshow NFL caliber was a nice touch that I hadn't seen before.

I do like Prukop and think he could be better than McGoo ever was, but after watching the last 4 games of the year throwing 1 TD and 2 picks and completing about 55% I wouldn't be ready to put him in the Cat Corridor of Fame quite yet, that's not even factoring in if he can hold up physically if he insists on running as much as he does.

PlayerRep said:
grizcountry420 said:

Mods, please get rid of 420? His posts are useless and a waste of space. On some devices, they're hard to open and deal with. 420 provides nothing useful to egriz. This is a football board, not a site to post photos and videos--unless they are relevant. Every time I see one of his useless posts, I'm going to continue to complain.

ib1.gif

Back