• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Its Time to Clean House.

AZGrizFan said:
tnt said:
grizatwork said:
statler & waldorf said:
One or more posters noted that the WGS was half empty after the half. Did they end up coming back after a long tailgating session, or just leave? If it's the latter, the Delaney hangover may a preview of things to come. Changing fan base or expectations not met?

Many stayed away, but that is par for the course in a blowout game with the weather worsening. It has been happening for as long as I can remember. There is a similar post about it on bobcat nation. People are slow coming in or don't come back at all. There are fans who are there for the social aspect of it. They will not come back, but stay outside in a game like that. People may not like it, but college football is a social event, with many seats held by businesses or corporations. I have 2 right next to me that are hardly ever filled. Maybe 2 games a year. Like it or not, we need the bandwagon, social event fans.

A lot didn't come back, but there was a lot leaving early as well. More concerning speaking of the businesses and corporations were the number of the corporate tailgate sites that were empty as in not rented for the game. There were also far fewer companies entertaining. One of the banks has sublet their site over the past couple of years because renting it for every game was the only way they could be assured having it. There were no takers this year.

Its sort of funny the folks you guys are calling bandwagon Fans that have had seats and GSA (or GAA)for years and have had a large part of making game day the event it was are in fact getting older and preferring a griz party at home to attending the game, or are thrilled that the greatest improvement to the stadium in years was adding the hand rails are giving up their seats because of what they call band wagon fans.

They look at the newer fans that many of you represent as guys who simply don't get what Grizzly Football is all about. What they see is a minority of fans who equate a great program as starting with a dominating team most concerned with wins and disdainful to anyone who doesn't share their particular passion for the game and god forbid anyone who wasn't a star back in the day attempt to be fan. These guys seem to believe a great program results from the "record" and championship banners.

This old group believe great teams come from great all around programs with the broadest fan base possible. Yup there have always been problems with players, brushes with the law, and what have you (hell there was even a child molester although he was a BB player) but Community and the program were far more important than anything. The problems of the last few years would NEVER have gotten as far out of hand as they did with the old leadership. The old Bandwagon Fans know that.

If you want to believe these changes in attitude and present leadership not hurting the program and will not make it a difficult hole to climb out of go for it. PR in a thread not long ago promised he and his family would pony up 5 million, so maybe we are okay

You got any evidence to back up all that drivel? :roll: :roll: :roll:

According to a friend who works for the university in corporate fund raising, corporate tail gates are down almost 30% from a level ten years ago. for those of us who have been tailgating for many years, it is noticeable too.

monte is a character said:
According to a friend who works for the university in corporate fund raising, corporate tail gates are down almost 30% from a level ten years ago. for those of us who have been tailgating for many years, it is noticeable too.

Equating that to their dislike of the HC or the offense being run is laughable. And spouting "beliefs" and assigning those beliefs to some mythical "old bandwagon fan" group is a joke.

Times are tough. The economy ain't all it's cracked up to be (ESPECIALLY from 10 years ago). Corporate tailgates are down 30%, yet fundraising is at an all-time high. Fan support is down, yet they just set a record attendance figure two weeks ago. Go figure....

AllWeatherFan said:
Easy solution to this "problem." Just black out all home games in and around Missoula.
I would have no problem with that if the black-out were in effect only until the game was sold out.

I will admit I can't read or WRITE but I keep thinking I hear more "house cleaning" concerning Rolling Royce and Haven't Haslam than I do concerning Dealin Delaney. This was my take from tnt's original blast.

So I just read it and went with Feng Shui knowing life would go on. tnt makes a good case (but Delaney will be coaching through the season) concerning the higher ups above Delaney.

My guess is win or lose Delaney will move on soon. Rollin Royce could leave right away and make me happy. Needed is a female (or male) president like MSU's. She is very impressive, knows the importance of a good football program etc. Knows it helps bringing in kids to the school. Tells people straight stuff and right to the point. As much as I HATE to say it MSU is rolling and rocking all the way around and she gets all the credit in the world.

Delaney is doing the best he can. Not all bad. Lots of good such as this amazing amount of very good early verbal commits! Naw, let us take a deep breath, read a good book, be patient and good things will come to Griz football.

After close to being counted out, Griz Football is on its feet again, but still groggy!

Umista said:
I will admit I can't read or WRITE but I keep thinking I hear more "house cleaning" concerning Rolling Royce and Haven't Haslam than I do concerning Dealin Delaney. This was my take from tnt's original blast.

So I just read it and went with Feng Shui knowing life would go on. tnt makes a good case (but Delaney will be coaching through the season) concerning the higher ups above Delaney.

My guess is win or lose Delaney will move on soon. Rollin Royce could leave right away and make me happy. Needed is a female (or male) president like MSU's. She is very impressive, knows the importance of a good football program etc. Knows it helps bringing in kids to the school. Tells people straight stuff and right to the point. As much as I HATE to say it MSU is rolling and rocking all the way around and she gets all the credit in the world.

Delaney is doing the best he can. Not all bad. Lots of good such as this amazing amount of very good early verbal commits! Naw, let us take a deep breath, read a good book, be patient and good things will come to Griz football.

After close to being counted out, Griz Football is on its feet again, but still groggy!

Thank you Umista You can indeed read. There is much good at the team level and it will be left much better than he got it.

What's the complaint about Haslam? He hired DeCuire. He got the academic center funded and started. He seems to have hired a good softball coach and gotten the softball stuff going. Delaney was hired before Haslam. The football team was 10-2 last year and seeded in the playoffs, before the disappointing loss to CC in the playoffs. The level of publicized trouble coming out of the football team has subsided since the (bogus) sexual assault year or two.

I don't understand the dislike of Haslam either. Beyond the argument against the extension giving to Mick that some on here disagree with, it seems to me that so far every button he's pushed has been the correct one.

EverettGriz said:
I don't understand the dislike of Haslam either. Beyond the argument against the extension giving to Mick that some on here disagree with, it seems to me that so far every button he's pushed has been the correct one.

+1

EverettGriz said:

I have no problem with Haslam. I am incredibly happy he hired DeCuire to coach the BB team. When I said earlier the "jury was still out" on Haslam my worry really isn't with him, it's with Engstrom meddling and affecting Haslam's decisions. No idea if that happens or if it has happened but with R.E. around it's hard not to wonder.

tnt said:
(hell there was even a child molester although he was a BB player)

Wait, what? How long ago was this? I've been following basketball for quite a while and never heard anything like that. Was someone actually charged with that?

Potomac Griz said:
tnt said:

Wait, what? How long ago was this? I've been following basketball for quite a while and never heard anything like that. Was someone actually charged with that?

Yeah there was. I can't remember his name. He was a JC transfer from Sacremento during Pat Kennedys tenure as I recall. He got involved a couple of church youth groups and then volunteered at a private school here in town to help coach. One of the parents who was also a cop got a creepy feeling and did some checking and turned out he had a history at home. He was gone within hours and the rumor was the coach in a steaming pile.

AZGrizFan said:
monte is a character said:

Equating that to their dislike of the HC or the offense being run is laughable. And spouting "beliefs" and assigning those beliefs to some mythical "old bandwagon fan" group is a joke.

Times are tough. The economy ain't all it's cracked up to be (ESPECIALLY from 10 years ago). Corporate tailgates are down 30%, yet fundraising is at an all-time high. Fan support is down, yet they just set a record attendance figure two weeks ago. Go figure....

Don't be a jackass. The two have nothing to do with each other. You are just trying to be a jackass, and succeeding to the max.

Potomac Griz said:
EverettGriz said:

I have no problem with Haslam. I am incredibly happy he hired DeCuire to coach the BB team. When I said earlier the "jury was still out" on Haslam my worry really isn't with him, it's with Engstrom meddling and affecting Haslam's decisions. No idea if that happens or if it has happened but with R.E. around it's hard not to wonder.

tnt said:

I agree with the thrust of your first paragraph. I assume the hoops molester thing is more misinformation from TNT.

tnt said:
Potomac Griz said:
tnt said:

Yeah there was. I can't remember his name. He was a JC transfer from Sacremento during Pat Kennedys tenure as I recall. He got involved a couple of church youth groups and then volunteered at a private school here in town to help coach. One of the parents who was also a cop got a creepy feeling and did some checking and turned out he had a history at home. He was gone within hours and the rumor was the coach in a steaming pile.

Pat Kennedy has been gone over 10 years.

PlayerRep said:
tnt said:
Potomac Griz said:
tnt said:

Your right, it was likey before that.

tnt said:
PlayerRep said:

Was this player an active roster player at the time of the accusations? I just saw your post saying it was before Kennedy's time here....after I just wracked my brain for 45 minutes & dug up old rosters coming up with every JC player that played for Kennedy or was recruited by Kennedy here... God dammit man :p

When Holst and Taylor were here we really didn't have as much coverage on the internet... and we had quite a few mysterious disappearances of juco players especially. Most it's pretty easy to find out where they went (other schools to play basketball) but there are a few I've often wondered WTF happened to.

Potomac Griz said:
tnt said:
PlayerRep said:

Was this player an active roster player at the time of the accusations? I just saw your post saying it was before Kennedy's time here....after I just wracked my brain for 45 minutes & dug up old rosters coming up with every JC player that played for Kennedy or was recruited by Kennedy here... God dammit man :p

When Holst and Taylor were here we really didn't have as much coverage on the internet... and we had quite a few mysterious disappearances of juco players especially. Most it's pretty easy to find out where they went (other schools to play basketball) but there are a few I've often wondered WTF happened to.

I'll call some of the other parents from then. My kids were going to school there at the time. The point id we DON'T know. Maybe the internet wasn't flowing but the Missoulian wasn't any friendlier. Styles of leadership were much stronger.

I haven't weighed in on this yet, but I just walked through the living room and It's time to clean house.

AllWeatherFan said:
Easy solution to this "problem." Just black out all home games in and around Missoula.

I would totally support this. I tend to blackout for both home and away games.

Ursa Major said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I would totally support this. I tend to blackout for both home and away games.

Ha - good point! I do, however, like to black out in Missoula rather than around it.

Back