• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JJ Trial

SouthDakotaGrizzly said:
PolsonGrizFan said:
Prosecution says they have one more witness to call to the stand, Duerk says they hope to rest their case today #JohnsonTrial

I wonder who the last witness will be? A surprise witness or no big eye opener?

Well, they've put Doe's brother and mother up there, why not the dad?

That would be my guess, but who knows.

grizfan95 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
I suspect the prosecution called Bieneman to testify that he witnessed Doe offering to do JJ anytime, he knew JJ had been texting her that day, he encouraged JJ to get her done when he left. This is a set up to show JJ had been offered, had contacted her, had been encouraged by AB, had a few beers and when Doe turned JJ down he decided to just take what he felt was his. Smooth move by the prosecution.

Yet that does not prove anything. The state has effectively showed this girl has problems but not proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, that rape occurred. Not even close. There are so many grey areas in this I just don't see, currently, how it could go any other way.

The prosecution's best evidence on this probably came from the detective last Friday, where she testified she did not see "significant inconsistencies" in the accuser's statements, texts, actions etc. I'm sure we will see the prosecution using this same language in it's closing argument, and citing the detective as an expert in arguing that any inconsistencies should not be construed by the jury to be significant enough to raise reasonable doubt.

But the detective did discredit the nurse again, testifying the leggings weren't torn as the nurse detailed in her report.

I agree, the detective could be a significant witness if this trial comes down to a she said - he said case and supporting evidence for either side is not examined or is minimized. I suspect there will be a lot of consideration given to expert witnesses, their credentials and their credibility. I also think the text messages will have real bearing on the verdict.
So far I think the prosecution has not erased the reasonable doubt. Before lone we will get to hear from the defense.

missoulian ‏@missoulian
Judge: It's inappropriate for jurors to hear things you have to say. Please keep your comments to yourself in the gallery.

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
Forshizzlegrizzle said:
How long is this trial scheduled to go?

Don't everyone raise their hands at once.

a) 2 weeks longer than it should have;
b) until the Lifetime network determines they have enough footage to make a tv movie about the case; or
c) until the jury reaches a verdict? ;)

They haven't listed the names of any of the family members on the twitter page. Just mother, brother, father.

missoulian ‏@missoulian
Pabst: Your honor, we have a motion to make. Judge, without hearing out defense: The motion is denied. #johnsontrial
Followed by UrbanDeer and 2 others

:shock:

Irina Cates ‏@IrinaCates
Defense asks judge to make a motion. Judge denies the motion saying she believes she knows what that motion will be #JohnsonTrial

GRZFTBL said:
Irina Cates ‏@IrinaCates
Defense asks judge to make a motion. Judge denies the motion saying she believes she knows what that motion will be #JohnsonTrial

No way in HELL the judge was going to dismiss this thing. Everyone involved on the police/judicial side wants this thing in the hands of the jury....with all the scrutiny this case has gotten, no one person wants to be the one to stop it.

SouthDakotaGrizzly said:
GRZFTBL said:
Irina Cates ‏@IrinaCates

No way in HELL the judge was going to dismiss this thing. Everyone involved on the police/judicial side wants this thing in the hands of the jury....with all the scrutiny this case has gotten, no one person wants to be the one to stop it.

Yeah, but she could have at least heard the defense out!

bluemarlin2 said:
State just rested. No case, period. Appears to be just the DOJ pushing this.

Yes, basically the prosecution’s whole case is derived from Doe’s psychological behavior after the alleged rape took place. There is no physical proof that a rape occurred. The testimony actually leans towards consensual sex in my opinion. Jane Doe's testimony was enough put doubt in my mind that she may not have let JJ know that she did not consent.

This is a he said/she said textbook case. No sane man or woman in this world could put a young, intelligent promising man away with what the Prosecution just presented.

The defense will not last long. This will be done by Friday.

GRZFTBL said:
SouthDakotaGrizzly said:
GRZFTBL said:
Irina Cates ‏@IrinaCates

Yeah, but she could have at least heard the defense out!

Agreed. That itself seems prejudicial to me.

Back