• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

maybe transferring players thought...

This thread needs to be shut down. Wounds don't heal if you keep ripping off the scab. We have acknowledged, addressed, and apologized for past digressions stemming from the university. At some point we must look forward, and KEEP looking forward.

MTGRZ said:
This thread needs to be shut down. Wounds don't heal if you keep ripping off the scab. We have acknowledged, addressed, and apologized for past digressions stemming from the university. At some point we must look forward, and KEEP looking forward.

100% agree with this MTGRIZ, it’s all been hashed and rehashed then hashed again! I’m excited again about making the seven hour trip for home games! :thumb:

Happygriz1 said:
PlayerRep said:
citay said:
PlayerRep said:
Some reactions, corrections and disagreements.

Hauck took UM to the national championship 3 times, not 2 times. And to the semis 4 out of his 7 years.

If by the "Missoula" problem, you mean the Krakauer book and sexual assault, note that only one Hauck recruit, Donaldson, was involved in sexual assault, and that came out several years after Hauck had left for UNLV. Hauck is not even mentioned in Krakauer's book.

Given the various stuff that occurred while Stitt was in Missoula, don't know how you can say his program was "squeaky clean". Players got into various trouble, just like they do most everywhere. Dui's, assault/fight arrests, the house break-in (the one under construction, where they were charged with felonies), the WSU fight (which caused bad press, a two-game suspension, recommendations of a felony charge, but fortunately nothing has come of it). I blame none of this on Stitt, but it occurred.

As I have pointed out many times, Stitt inherited a team that had gone to the playoffs 2 years in a row, beaten the Cats 2 years in a row, and been ranked nos. 12 and 8 in post-season polls. Yes, not quite up there with what Hauck inherited, but far above not being ranked in the top 30, losing the Cats 2 years in a row, and not making the playoffs 2 years in a row. The team was not improving; it was declining. So was attendance.

And I got 67% for the combined records of Delaney/Pflu. Not 64. Maybe I goofed up.

I stand corrected--three trips to the chipper, not two.

I do believe Dennehy and Pflugrad had a winning percentage of 64%--but that's not important.

I'd have to go back and read "Missoula" again. But while Donaldson was mentioned most prominently, the book was not about him alone, but many other cases of sexual abuse, including a gang rape, and a culture that not only covered it all up, but intimidated women who spoke out against it. I can tolerate DUI's, especially in Montana, and fights such the fight at WSU. Kids will be kids. But that's not what "Missoula" was about, and you know it. And that all primarily took place during Hauck's reign.

The "gang rape" was overblown. Not sure if it involved more than blow jobs, at least for some of those involved. The police were notified fairly quickly. Investigated and declined to prosecute. A year later, the police investigated again and declined to prosecute. The accuser had told police that the guys wouldn't have known she didn't consent. The accuser's female friend who was there wouldn't back up the accuser's story. No involved player who got a lawyer was "convicted" in the school proceeding or kicked out of school. In fact, the ones who went through the proceeding were acquitted and allowed to graduate. There was no cover up whatsoever.

In the Donaldson situation, there was zero coverup. The police were told and involved before the university or coaches were. In the JJ situation, O'Day reported to the matter to university promptly after it occurred and he learned about it. Zero coverup.

What's your basis for saying there was a culture to cover up? That's not supported by the facts. And intimidation? Where are you getting that from? I've never heard that.

How do you over blow a gang rape, if she couldn’t say no she probably didn’t say yes either which isn’t consenting. So wether or not she decided to press charges was her choice. Think before you speak.

Check the elements of Montana criminal sexual law that you in effect before you spout your nonsense about this matter in the future. The Montana law was changed in 2017.

From the Missoulian:

"Of import, Kelsey told the detective that the men would not have been aware that she was not consenting," Pabst said. [That itself made the case impossible to proof in court]

"Kelsey Belnap claims she was gang-raped by University of Montana football players," Pabst wrote. ... The investigation showed that Kelsey got very intoxicated with her best friend, made out with the other woman in front of the men, and then engaged in what appeared to all present to be consensual oral and/or vaginal sex with 3 men.

"No doubt she was traumatized. She remembers very little."

"The suspects said sex was consensual and their accounts were consistent with Belnap's former friend, who was in the room at the time of the alleged assault, Pabst wrote." [Again, note the female friend said that the sex was consensual]

"The women were clearly intoxicated, but facts in the investigation show they were not incapacitated, as defined by Montana law," Pabst said."

As others have said, consent is determined at the time. Not the next morning and next week, when some accusers feel bad or guilty about what they did, or when their boyfriends find out.

Grizzly96 said:
citay said:
Okay, I was a Stitt guy. Still am. So let's look at some facts.

When Hauck took over the program, his predecessors, Dennehy and Glenn, had a combined winning record of 81%. Hauck inherited the proverbial "keys to the Cadillac." Glenn had won one national championship, and come oh-so-close against Georgia Southern in another chipper. (A game that still pisses me off, because we had them on the ropes and let them off through stupid play-calling.) Yes, Hauck got us to the chipper twice, but never won a national championship.

When Stitt took over the program, his predecessors, Pflugrad and Delany, had a combined winning percentage of 64%. So this was no longer a Cadillac. A Nissan, maybe.

Plus Stitt inherited the "Missoula" problem, one of the ugliest chapters in the history of Montana athletics, a problem caused at least in PART by the players Hauck recruited to the Montana program. Until Hauck has continued Stitt's legacy of running a clean program, that taint will remain with Hauck.

I wasn't happy about losing to the Bobcats, but I liked Stitt's recruiting; liked the fact he ran a squeaky clean program; and felt that in any event, a coach deserves four years, for his recruits to be fully implemented into the program.

As most of you know, I remember the basketball tradition at Montana, where Travis DeCuire is putting together a program we can really be proud of--not against second-tier, PONY league competition, but against the best of the best, where we were competitive against a team that went to the championship game of National Association of Big Boys.

So for all you Hauck fans out there, let me just ask one favor of you: Don't put us through the "Missoula" embarrassment again, okay?

This would be true if improvement is shown. Under Stitt it was not. Team was consistently displaying the same tendencies. Offense scored in bunches, but disappeared when truly needed. Defense and special teams were almost non-existent. There is a reason that teams did not line up to hire him after he was let go from UM.

Actually I’d say the D was a lot like the O....looked like world-beaters against average/below average competition, and even looked good a lot of the time against good teams, but couldn’t seem to make a stop when it most needed to and couldn’t get off the field when it most needed to, mostly because of bonehead calls by the DC....

grizrgood said:
MTGRZ said:

100% agree with this MTGRIZ, it’s all been hashed and rehashed then hashed again! I’m excited again about making the seven hour trip for home games! :thumb:
'68griz, expressed similar sentiments. I also agree that this thread was DERAILED BY CITAY! Who has fed citay and joined in picking this scab?
Don't remember? That's OK, I made a list:

Hilinegrizfan, Player Rep, argh!, HelenaHandbasket, horribilisfan8184, poorgriz(a cat fan), tnt, TCCGRIZ, ranco, EverettGriz, Happygriz, and Ursa Major.

Poorgriz is a true cat troll, that's what he does, but the rest of you.......... :roll:

AZGrizFan said:
Grizzly96 said:
citay said:
Okay, I was a Stitt guy. Still am. So let's look at some facts.

When Hauck took over the program, his predecessors, Dennehy and Glenn, had a combined winning record of 81%. Hauck inherited the proverbial "keys to the Cadillac." Glenn had won one national championship, and come oh-so-close against Georgia Southern in another chipper. (A game that still pisses me off, because we had them on the ropes and let them off through stupid play-calling.) Yes, Hauck got us to the chipper twice, but never won a national championship.

When Stitt took over the program, his predecessors, Pflugrad and Delany, had a combined winning percentage of 64%. So this was no longer a Cadillac. A Nissan, maybe.

Plus Stitt inherited the "Missoula" problem, one of the ugliest chapters in the history of Montana athletics, a problem caused at least in PART by the players Hauck recruited to the Montana program. Until Hauck has continued Stitt's legacy of running a clean program, that taint will remain with Hauck.

I wasn't happy about losing to the Bobcats, but I liked Stitt's recruiting; liked the fact he ran a squeaky clean program; and felt that in any event, a coach deserves four years, for his recruits to be fully implemented into the program.

As most of you know, I remember the basketball tradition at Montana, where Travis DeCuire is putting together a program we can really be proud of--not against second-tier, PONY league competition, but against the best of the best, where we were competitive against a team that went to the championship game of National Association of Big Boys.

So for all you Hauck fans out there, let me just ask one favor of you: Don't put us through the "Missoula" embarrassment again, okay?

This would be true if improvement is shown. Under Stitt it was not. Team was consistently displaying the same tendencies. Offense scored in bunches, but disappeared when truly needed. Defense and special teams were almost non-existent. There is a reason that teams did not line up to hire him after he was let go from UM.

Actually I’d say the D was a lot like the O....looked like world-beaters against average/below average competition, and even looked good a lot of the time against good teams, but couldn’t seem to make a stop when it most needed to and couldn’t get off the field when it most needed to, mostly because of bonehead calls by the DC....

Agreed, and I think the D got put in too many bad situations under Stitt. Too many 3 and outs(bonehead calls by Stitt IMO) when the D had to have a much needed break. A lot of times people get on the D for not making stops, when in reality the offense needs to keep the ball for a while to give them a breather so they can make stops.

Take the first half of the EWU game last year......Offense was scoring a lot, but quickly. That keeps the defense on the field quite a bit even though they were stopping them fairly well. Come second half when the offense began to stall(bonehead calls by Stitt IMO), the defense, despite holding them in the first half was worn down. EWU ran wild and the defense could not stop them, but also goes back to Stitt and Semores' lack of ability to make in game adjustments.

I think Rosy, Baer, and Huack will at least give the Griz a chance to be successful and make in game adjustments. I know many do not think that we have the talent this year to do much, but I disagree. I think this team will surprise and will be in every game with the fight to finish. That's a drastic change from the last 3 years.

statler & waldorf said:
grizrgood said:
MTGRZ said:

'68griz, expressed similar sentiments. I also agree that this thread was DERAILED BY CITAY! Who has fed citay and joined in picking this scab?

Hilinegrizfan, Player Rep, argh!, HelenaHandbasket, horribilisfan8184, poorgriz(a cat fan), tnt, TCCGRIZ, ranco, EverettGriz, Happygriz, and Ursa Major.

Poorgriz is a true cat troll, that's what he does, but the rest of you.......... :roll:

For a "fan of "heckling" you seem a wee bit hypocritical of other hecklers. :roll:

statler & waldorf said:
grizrgood said:
MTGRZ said:

I MADE A LIST!!!!! I MADE A LIST!!!!!!

I'm not exactly certain what list, because I can never quite figure out what the f*ck S&W is trying to say. But to hell with that, I MADE A LIST!!!!

Oh, damn, I forgot about your reading comprehension deficit. Get someone to read my post to you, then explain it to you in words you can understand. Unfortunately, I can't help you with your entitled, foul mouthed ego. You'll have to pay for professional help for that. You must admit, 'scab picker,' I didn't PM you, per your request. :lol:

Back