• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU Hires Next AD UP - Leon Costello

PlayerRep said:
What was/is he making at Utah?

Cost of living index is higher in SlC than Bozeman: 105 to 103. Looks like median housing price and other realtor index prices are a bit higher than SLC. Even with Bozeman housing high, there are other places to live, like Belgrade, which is considerably less expensive. I can't imagine that someone can't live quite well in Bozeman for what his AD salary (and probably related benefits) was. It must have been much more than the housing cost.

Yes, there was more to it. His wife had a good job at U of U. and he has a son with cancer. Also, having the three kids change schools. And was concerned about all.. It appears that when they got back from the introduction and started to prepare for the move that his wife and he started having second thoughts. He was making $195 a Uof U. His wife was also making triple figures there. I would think they would have considered all this stuff more thoroughly before accepting the position.

bigsky33 said:
PlayerRep said:
What was/is he making at Utah?

Cost of living index is higher in SlC than Bozeman: 105 to 103. Looks like median housing price and other realtor index prices are a bit higher than SLC. Even with Bozeman housing high, there are other places to live, like Belgrade, which is considerably less expensive. I can't imagine that someone can't live quite well in Bozeman for what his AD salary (and probably related benefits) was. It must have been much more than the housing cost.

Yes, there was more to it. His wife had a good job at U of U. and he has a son with cancer. Also, having the three kids change schools. And was concerned about all.. It appears that when they got back from the introduction and started to prepare for the move that his wife and he started having second thoughts. He was making $195 a Uof U. His wife was also making triple figures there. I would think they would have considered all this stuff more thoroughly before accepting the position.

Yes, had seen that his wife had been the academic advisor, but didn't realize she had had such a good salary. I suppose she could have gotten something at MSU eventually, but probably not at that salary. Had seen a reference to good health care for a son, but didn't know it was cancer. Several valid and important reasons. Yes, agree that one would think that they would have fully thought through all that ahead of time. He now gives up his chance to be the head AD and has some egg on his face. At least, it happened quickly and MSU was able to grab someone who appears to be very qualified and experienced. While I have never understood this new-job remorse, but some people seem to get it. MSU certainly wouldn't want him, if he was having serious second thoughts. Thanks for the info. Was he LDS?

bigsky33 said:
It seems odd that he would have been seeking new employment given all of those circumstances, and that he only thought about them AFTER accepting the job. "Oh gee, we hadn't thought about it," just doesn't ring true. But it also makes no sense that he would have applied in the first place, given his wife's situation and the medical situation.

It's also possible he was using MSU job to leverage a raise at Utah. Maybe Utah called bluff and then offered a larger salary when it appeared he was really leaving. Lots of what ifs and hypotheticals can be made, but I think we can all agree it was a bit strange and that MSU was lucky to find Costello on short notice after they already turned him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbtfg said:
It's also possible he was using MSU job to leverage a raise at Utah. Maybe Utah called bluff and then offered a larger salary when it appeared he was really leaving. Lots of what ifs and hypotheticals can be made, but I think we can all agree it was a bit strange and that MSU was lucky to find Costello on short notice after they already turned him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whatever helps you sleep at night. :roll: Brennan just realized MSU sucks. It's that simple and true.

UMGriz75 said:
bigsky33 said:
It seems odd that he would have been seeking new employment given all of those circumstances, and that he only thought about them AFTER accepting the job. "Oh gee, we hadn't thought about it," just doesn't ring true. But it also makes no sense that he would have applied in the first place, given his wife's situation and the medical situation.

Originally the search committee recommended four finalists to come on campus for an interview.. He was added at the last minute as a fifth finalist. Supposedly, Dennis Erickson had an influence in this whole scenario. I saw it mentioned somewhere that Dennis talked him into going for the position. It was an opportunity to run his own show. I can see where it might have been attractive to him but maybe it wasn't for the family. His family didn't look that enthused during the introduction. And after his introudction when they got back to SLC, maybe the wife spoke up and said hey this isn't really a good move for us. Things like that happen. As Player Rep. said new job remorse happens. It's hard to figure.

Once again MSU is stuck taking the nerdy sophmore girl to prom after they told all their friends they were taking the hot senior.....

They'll be home by 9:45 again...jerking off in their moms basement to Brooke Burk on E....like usual.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Once again MSU is stuck taking the nerdy sophmore girl to prom after they told all their friends they were taking the hot senior.....

They'll be home by 9:45 again...jerking off in their moms basement to Brooke Burk on E....like usual.

Are you insinuating there is something wrong with Brooke Burke?

bigsky33 said:
UMGriz75 said:
bigsky33 said:

Originally the search committee recommended four finalists to come on campus for an interview.. He was added at the last minute as a fifth finalist. Supposedly, Dennis Erickson had an influence in this whole scenario. I saw it mentioned somewhere that Dennis talked him into going for the position. It was an opportunity to run his own show. I can see where it might have been attractive to him but maybe it wasn't for the family. His family didn't look that enthused during the introduction. And after his introudction when they got back to SLC, maybe the wife spoke up and said hey this isn't really a good move for us. Things like that happen. As Player Rep. said new job remorse happens. It's hard to figure.

People sometimes interview for things in the real world to gain experience. Had he interviewed and declined consideration thereafter, might be ok. But to accept, show up with the family and then have a change of heart shows a complete lack of judgement. I can joke all I want about a good fit for those reasons, but the truth is state college is better off without him. And if he was pushed into interviewing, then it's one more character flaw that no one needs. WC winds up with egg all over everything, but she can fire a few extra lackies this month to assuage her guilt in hiring this clown in the first place.

Griz1 said:
EverettGriz is slowing down in his thought process. Where is the "welcome to Bozeman" and "prepare to win pre-season championships?"

Cmon Everett you have to start picking it up again! I am depending on you.

I went there with their previous hire. You know, the one last week?

I don't want to seem repetitive after all....

:cool:

EverettGriz said:
Griz1 said:
EverettGriz is slowing down in his thought process. Where is the "welcome to Bozeman" and "prepare to win pre-season championships?"

If there is a cause and effect relationship, I see no reason not to Jinx this hire too.

Glendivegriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Are you insinuating there is something wrong with Brooke Burke?

Absolutely not.

bgbigdog said:
bigsky33 said:
UMGriz75 said:
bigsky33 said:

People sometimes interview for things in the real world to gain experience. Had he interviewed and declined consideration thereafter, might be ok. But to accept, show up with the family and then have a change of heart shows a complete lack of judgement. I can joke all I want about a good fit for those reasons, but the truth is state college is better off without him. And if he was pushed into interviewing, then it's one more character flaw that no one needs. WC winds up with egg all over everything, but she can fire a few extra lackies this month to assuage her guilt in hiring this clown in the first place.

MSUs athletic department was Game of Thrones before there was Game of Thrones

horribilisfan8184 said:
EverettGriz said:
Griz1 said:

If there is a cause and effect relationship, I see no reason not to Jinx this hire too.

Good call.

Congratulations on your selection, Abbot And. Welcome to LilbroNation.

Prepare to win preseason championships (and watch the GRIZ win the rest).

bgbigdog said:
WC winds up with egg all over everything, but she can fire a few extra lackies this month to assuage her guilt in hiring this clown in the first place.
I understood that by this morning, she had fired another Dean, three hapless students walking past, and all the ducks in the duck pond. The list could get long.

EverettGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
EverettGriz said:
Griz1 said:

Good call.

There it is. All is right.

EverettGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
EverettGriz said:
Griz1 said:

Good call.

You always say this..but....when is it going to ACTUALLY happen? :coffee: btw, when was the last time the jizz were BSC champs, I can't remember.

doc3kgt said:
EverettGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
EverettGriz said:

Good call.

You always say this..but....when is it going to ACTUALLY happen? :coffee: btw, when was the last time the jizz were BSC champs, I can't remember.

I believe Everett's frequent comment to new players about preparing to win championships is silly (for various reasons including the one you pointed out), but I liked his similar comment regarding the new MSU AD.

Back