• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU's two transfer DBs from UW.....

snap said:
I am equal parts deeply disturbed and profoundly embarrassed for the cat football team. We're starting to see the type of "character" the choaf is bringing in to Bozo (which, prior to his arrival, was a sleepy little college town with nary a care in the world). I just hope he clamps down on this nonsense before innocent people get hurt (or worse).

Wrong, wrong...on both counts! Choate is no more immune to having kids given a second chance screwing it up than any Griz coach you can name...as for bucolic Bozeman, the average home price is $324,000 in a city where property valuations have increased $524 million over the past two years ( Choate's been there just one of those two year). Missoula's housing prices, while high, come nowhere near matching Bozeman's.

xanax is a benzodiazapene. Same family as valium and ativan. Addictive qualities and negative side effects don't get the press it should due to the opiod epidemic. Withdrawal from benzos can be more deadly than opiods. The drug is a big deal.

Not commenting on the case as I don't know about it and remarking on what Choate does or doesn't do from here is premature.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Former MSU DB Gardenhire pleads guilty to felony possession
http://skylinesportsmt.com/former-msu-db-gardenhire-pleads-guilty-to-felony-possession/

Colter, in my opinion this already makes Choate look bad for taking a chance on these guys. He knew they both had a troubled past but rolled the dice anyways. Now it bit him in the ass. After all of that is there any chance in hell he will welcome Gardenhire back after a felony? Would Waded even consider it? If so this will tell us all we need to know about Choate.

You may be right, but I would like to know the facts. What did this kid do at UW, and what did the UW coaches/Choate now? What did the kid really do in the Bozeman situation. Look like the 3d party friend was the one supplying and selling the pills. Looks like one or both of the d-backs were involved to some extent. Perhaps very limited, perhaps more. Not sure if one should believe the "one-time" mistake comment, but I suppose it could be true.

Don't know much about this pill, but it's not some big time drug, is it? Not an opiate. Not a roofy. Calms people, including those with anxiety. Perhaps some of the younger crowd could educate the older crowd.

I wouldn't think the kid would get back on the team, or at least not right away. Recall the Griz player who got caught at some party/rave with a pill or two of some party drug. Think he was charged with a felony. Lost scholarship but eventually got back on team. Can't recall what happened with the actual sentence. This one is a 4-year "deferred" sentence, which I believe means that it isn't yet entered and goes away in 4 years if he follows all the imposed rules. 4 years is a long time. His attorney is very good and aggressive, by the way, I have been told.

I don't know all the facts either, only a few do I'm guessing. I do know he quit on his team and coaches at UW, some say over his refusal to take a drug test (red flag for me). Hale was actually kicked off the same team over drugs (red flag for me).

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/uw-cornerback-darren-gardenhire-announces-hes-leaving-team/

As for Xanax, it is a Scheduled IV drug and has addictive properties and people abuse it to get high.

Xanax is addicting, mostly because of the quick onset and short half-life. So it generally makes you feel good quickly, and for a fairly short time (compared to other Benzos). That means, people will take them when they are out of their system for another quick "feel good" session. Over time, they last for less and less time, leading to needing more and more, sooner and sooner. Easy to get addicted to it, and withdrawal can be deadly.

i thought the student conduct code said if you were convicted of a felony, you were automatically prohibited from playing for the university....he plead guilty to a felony .....i may have dreamed it.

krammer said:
i thought the student conduct code said if you were convicted of a felony, you were automatically prohibited from playing for the university....he plead guilty to a felony .....i may have dreamed it.

Based off his new plea, he is going to try and re-apply to the school first. If MSU accepts him back, then its up to the Athletic Department and Coach Choate. A lot to be decided yet. My opinion is to let the code of conduct work its course on the situation as it advances.

I'll be honest, Mr. Gardenhire has a long road ahead with getting back into MSU for school.

VimSince03 said:
krammer said:

Based off his new plea, he is going to try and re-apply to the school first. If MSU accepts him back, then its up to the Athletic Department and Coach Choate. A lot to be decided yet. My opinion is to let the code of conduct work its course on the situation as it advances.

I'll be honest, Mr. Gardenhire has a long road ahead with getting back into MSU for school.

Dumbshit came to MSU knowing it was a second chance. You can educate ignorance but you can't fix stupid. Doubt Waded or Jeff stick their necks out for this guy (again).

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
http://skylinesportsmt.com/former-msu-db-gardenhire-pleads-guilty-to-felony-possession/

Colter, in my opinion this already makes Choate look bad for taking a chance on these guys. He knew they both had a troubled past but rolled the dice anyways. Now it bit him in the ass. After all of that is there any chance in hell he will welcome Gardenhire back after a felony? Would Waded even consider it? If so this will tell us all we need to know about Choate.

You may be right, but I would like to know the facts. What did this kid do at UW, and what did the UW coaches/Choate now? What did the kid really do in the Bozeman situation. Look like the 3d party friend was the one supplying and selling the pills. Looks like one or both of the d-backs were involved to some extent. Perhaps very limited, perhaps more. Not sure if one should believe the "one-time" mistake comment, but I suppose it could be true.

Don't know much about this pill, but it's not some big time drug, is it? Not an opiate. Not a roofy. Calms people, including those with anxiety. Perhaps some of the younger crowd could educate the older crowd.

I wouldn't think the kid would get back on the team, or at least not right away. Recall the Griz player who got caught at some party/rave with a pill or two of some party drug. Think he was charged with a felony. Lost scholarship but eventually got back on team. Can't recall what happened with the actual sentence. This one is a 4-year "deferred" sentence, which I believe means that it isn't yet entered and goes away in 4 years if he follows all the imposed rules. 4 years is a long time. His attorney is very good and aggressive, by the way, I have been told.

In Montana a 4-year deferred sentence can be wiped clean in 2 years. Called half-time. So if he doesn't get in trouble for 2 years, his lawyer can go back to court and get it taken off. Usually isn't an issue unless the judge/prosecutor decide otherwise. If he gets in trouble, he is a felon for life. I don't see how they could let him back on the football team while he is a "felon". He has to sit out 2017 no matter what, but I just don't see a real possibility of him joining the football team ever again.

BDizzle said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

In Montana a 4-year deferred sentence can be wiped clean in 2 years. Called half-time. So if he doesn't get in trouble for 2 years, his lawyer can go back to court and get it taken off. Usually isn't an issue unless the judge/prosecutor decide otherwise. If he gets in trouble, he is a felon for life. I don't see how they could let him back on the football team while he is a "felon". He has to sit out 2017 no matter what, but I just don't see a real possibility of him joining the football team ever again.

Pretty sure they did away with half time like a decade and a half ago

RayWill said:
BDizzle said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Unfortunately I know first hand it is still around.

BDizzle said:
RayWill said:
BDizzle said:
PlayerRep said:

Unfortunately I know first hand it is still around.
Yeah that's right deferred sentences and some probation can still get it. They did away with Good Time for penal sentences and parole.

"If the student-athlete is found guilty of the felony charge, such student-athlete shall be barred permanently from participation in intercollegiate athletics on any campus of the MSU System."

Is a plea to a deferred sentence equal to being "found guilty" for this purpose? Let's get some quick answers from you lawyers, or I'm going to bring in 75.

Montana State University – Bozeman
STUDENT-ATHLETE CODE OF CONDUCT 2015-2016
Updated 10/2014

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/msubobcats.com/documents/2016/8/3/Code_of_Conduct_for_2015_2016_no_fight_changes_yet_need_UAC_approval.pdf

"Schedule IV Controlled Substances

Substances in this schedule have a low potential for abuse relative to substances in Schedule III.

Examples of Schedule IV substances include: alprazolam (Xanax®), carisoprodol (Soma®), clonazepam (Klonopin®), clorazepate (Tranxene®), diazepam (Valium®), lorazepam (Ativan®), midazolam (Versed®), temazepam (Restoril®), and triazolam (Halcion®)."

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/

AZDoc said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

I don't know all the facts either, only a few do I'm guessing. I do know he quit on his team and coaches at UW, some say over his refusal to take a drug test (red flag for me). Hale was actually kicked off the same team over drugs (red flag for me).

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/uw-cornerback-darren-gardenhire-announces-hes-leaving-team/

As for Xanax, it is a Scheduled IV drug and has addictive properties and people abuse it to get high.

Xanax is addicting, mostly because of the quick onset and short half-life. So it generally makes you feel good quickly, and for a fairly short time (compared to other Benzos). That means, people will take them when they are out of their system for another quick "feel good" session. Over time, they last for less and less time, leading to needing more and more, sooner and sooner. Easy to get addicted to it, and withdrawal can be deadly.

I was on Xanax for a number of years, and had no problem coming off it. It is one prescription drug though that many oil/gas operators don't want on drilling rigs even with a prescription. My biggest problem with it, was people stealing it from my bottle.

2013. Some similarities (a pill or 2, undercover cop, felony, deferred sentence); some dissimilarities (pill was being sold, part of bigger sales thing, longer deferred sentence). If the player is ever reinstated, it won't be until the sentence is dropped, is my guess.

"A suspended University of Montana football player cannot be reinstated to the Grizzlies until he completes the terms of the deferred sentence he received this week on a drug charge, UM’s athletic director said Wednesday.

Player pleaded guilty in November to possession of dangerous drugs after allegedly buying a form of Ecstacy at a huge outdoor rave-type Halloween party.

“Once he has gone through the whole (legal) process, he can come back and appeal, but until then, he is still suspended,” athletic director Kent Haslam said.

That could happen as early as this summer. Although player received an 18-month deferred sentence, he could be considered compliant if he completes half that without problems, said his attorney, Paul Ryan.

“He will then reapply (to the team) this summer and hopefully be reinstated and ready to play for the 2013 football season,” Ryan said Wednesday. “Right now, he’s focusing on school and making sure he stays clean and sober.”

UM’s Student Athlete Code of Conduct mandates that an athlete be suspended immediately upon being charged with a felony when “it is reasonable to believe the person committed the act.”

Undercover officers at the party allegedly saw player exchange cash for a baggie, according to charging documents. He admitted to having two “molly” pills in his pocket, the documents said.

The charge against player carried a maximum penalty of five years in prison and/or a $50,000 fine. The deferred sentence he received means the charge against him will be cleared from his record if he meets court-ordered conditions – such as no alcohol or drug use – throughout the duration of the sentence.

Under the plea agreement in the case, player must pay $730 in fines and fees, obtain a chemical dependency evaluation and participate in an after-care program based on the results of the evaluation.

Haslam said player's felony must be “completely resolved” before player, a sophomore, can appeal his suspension.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/suspended-griz-player-gets-deferred-sentence-for-drug-charge/article_ecde2f5a-658e-11e2-a878-001a4bcf887a.html

PlayerRep said:
"If the student-athlete is found guilty of the felony charge, such student-athlete shall be barred permanently from participation in intercollegiate athletics on any campus of the MSU System."

Is a plea to a deferred sentence equal to being "found guilty" for this purpose? Let's get some quick answers from you lawyers, or I'm going to bring in 75.

Updated 10/2014

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/msubobcats.com/documents/2016/8/3/Code_of_Conduct_for_2015_2016_no_fight_changes_yet_need_UAC_approval.pdf

playerrep......that made me laugh out loud to myself....

PlayerRep said:

Updated 10/2014

That's a nice find....maybe someone should forward that to the MSU higher ups...

PlayerRep said:
"Schedule IV Controlled Substances

Substances in this schedule have a low potential for abuse relative to substances in Schedule III.

Examples of Schedule IV substances include: alprazolam (Xanax®), carisoprodol (Soma®), clonazepam (Klonopin®), clorazepate (Tranxene®), diazepam (Valium®), lorazepam (Ativan®), midazolam (Versed®), temazepam (Restoril®), and triazolam (Halcion®)."

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/

Which is hilarious...because in practice, everyone is addicted to soma, xanax, Ativan...hahaha
Restoril and klonopin are long acting,..so less addiction that I've seen

Question. Was the UM player busted with ecstasy convicted of a felony?

I know he came back, can't remember if he was convicted of a felony or misdemeanor.

If felony, perhaps the precedent has been set that punishment is to sit out a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbtfg said:
Question. Was the UM player busted with ecstasy convicted of a felony?

I know he came back, can't remember if he was convicted of a felony or misdemeanor.

If felony, perhaps the precedent has been set that punishment is to sit out a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the quoted article. Not "convicted" of anything. Plead to a felony, but with a deferred sentence, meaning it is not entered if and until the guy goofs up. Apparently in MT, the length can be shortened to half the time. Then, the Griz got reinstated after he had done his 50% of the deferral period. The Cat sentence imposition is way longer, so one half would be longer. This is not my area. I just looked up some stuff, and will yield to the experts, whether Cat or Griz.

Other differences are black and white, and son of former Griz player (who has family and friends to weigh in) and outsider, who transferred in.

I don't know the Cat or anything about him, but, if he was a good or pretty good kid and the facts supported him, and because I am a tribal member, I would go to bat for the kid. I don't believe that white/black kids, or black/white kids, should be treated differently in this type of situation.

Again, I don't know enough of the facts and circumstances to be able to evaluate what occurred. But the result with the law seems to be quite similar to the Griz situation.

Back