• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: QB

alabamagrizzly said:
I think your right about Gus keeping the job for now. Gonna be interesting to see if Chalich can get a better grip on the O and how quickly can Reese push Gus and Chalich? I think Stitt lost some confidence in Gus after the NDSU loss but I don't see Stitt replacing Gus cus of that. I see Stitt giving him an honest shot to keep the job if he proves to stay ahead of the competion. Normally I would not think much of Keige coming from a small school but Im guessing Stitt sees something in him. Aaron Rogers started at a JC also so there's always a chance of getting something special. I'm also intrigued by Praters development and how the '17 battle between him and Reese will work out. And in '18? The future is bright for Griz QB's.

I was at the SDSU game. They figured how to defend Gus at halftime. By the end of NDSU game that was 6 bad quarters in a row for Gus. That had to have Stitt spooked, and he has picked up a drop down to help solve that issue. Hopefully Gus will figure out how to deal with what was thrown at him the last 6 quarters of the year by the end of fall camp.

The sec is no better than the pac12 and they rarely have great qb's. The pac12 has the best qb talent in the fbs and they do most years. Saying anything else is pure poppycock plain and simple.

horribilisfan8184 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I think your right about Gus keeping the job for now. Gonna be interesting to see if Chalich can get a better grip on the O and how quickly can Reese push Gus and Chalich? I think Stitt lost some confidence in Gus after the NDSU loss but I don't see Stitt replacing Gus cus of that. I see Stitt giving him an honest shot to keep the job if he proves to stay ahead of the competion. Normally I would not think much of Keige coming from a small school but Im guessing Stitt sees something in him. Aaron Rogers started at a JC also so there's always a chance of getting something special. I'm also intrigued by Praters development and how the '17 battle between him and Reese will work out. And in '18? The future is bright for Griz QB's.

I was at the SDSU game. They figured how to defend Gus at halftime. By the end of NDSU game that was 6 bad quarters in a row for Gus. That had to have Stitt spooked, and he has picked up a drop down to help solve that issue. Hopefully Gus will figure out how to deal with what was thrown at him the last 6 quarters of the year by the end of fall camp.

Unless none of these incoming guys can both throw andrun, I'm thinking we're going to see a new #1 in 2016

mikegriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Unless none of these incoming guys can both throw andrun, I'm thinking we're going to see a new #1 in 2016

I still fail to comprehend why so many posters on here think Stitt wants a mobile QB... I don't think that's his priority in a QB.

I will agree that Gus had a bad game at NDSU, in all fairness, it's really hard to have a good passing game if the running game can't do anything and he doesn't have time to throw. There were way worse problems in my opinion than our QB play. Good thing is that Stitt realizes this and is working to do something about it.

Big G said:
The sec is no better than the pac12 and they rarely have great qb's. The pac12 has the best qb talent in the fbs and they do most years. Saying anything else is pure poppycock plain and simple.

Yeah, ignore the fact that the two quarterbacks in the Super Bowl are from the SEC.

1972 said:
I will agree that Gus had a bad game at NDSU, in all fairness, it's really hard to have a good passing game if the running game can't do anything and he doesn't have time to throw. There were way worse problems in my opinion than our QB play. Good thing is that Stitt realizes this and is working to do something about it.

This. You can have the best quarterback in the world but if he doesn't have a great OLine protecting him and opening up holes for the running game, you're going to see average results.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Reese Phillips - Obviously the guy everyone's going to watch. Yes he's an SEC transfer, but from a school that hasn't posted a winning season in 5 years now and I don't think he saw much of the field at all. One post I read on here did probably sum it up though, you don't get to the SEC by accident, so presumably Phillips will bring some heated competition to the QB race. Another benefit Phillips has is that UK's offense and Stitt's offense have some similar styles, so the quick pace and fast reads won't be an adjustment for him (like it was for Chalich last year). We'll have to see how Phillips does in the spring, obviously a lot of people are assuming he'll rise quickly and will battle Gus to start. My guess is that it won't be solved come the end of spring ball.

I used to assume that as well....then Roper came along.

Ugh, good point

But Roper was a Pac12 QB, right? So there's gotta still be hope in our SEC dropdown!

grizindabox said:
statler & waldorf said:
Twice the number needed. Waste of scarce resources.

Since it will be pared down after spring ball and since 4 of them are not on scholarship....not sure how it is really a waste of resources....

I was referring to scholarships as resources, not knowing who and how much. Didn't mean to be vague. I was aware of the spring cut, assuming the same thing as last year. Has to be tough to be one of eight, knowing half of them will be gone after spring ball. Too bad we don't have a glut of offensive linemen. Thanks for the corrections.

BWahlberg said:
In this offense that's the one spot that you can't whiff on, I'd rather they put a few extra guys there just in case than have none at all.

Right. I don't see these as wasted resources or wasted roster spots, either. If It's not like he's stashing away tight ends and fullbacks just in case he decides to use a jumbo package once every fourth game.

statler & waldorf said:
Too bad we don't have a glut of offensive linemen.

We have 13 on roster for spring camp and another 5 coming in the fall.

18 linemen... seems like a glut to me.

BWahlberg said:
statler & waldorf said:
Too bad we don't have a glut of offensive linemen.

We have 13 on roster for spring camp and another 5 coming in the fall.

18 linemen... seems like a glut to me.

It's only a glut if they're all ready on day one to start. :lol: :lol: Ours? Mmmmmm, not so much.

Whoever the starter is we better have a good back up. UNI is one of, if not the dirtiest team in FCS. They will go after the quarterback whether the whistle blows or not. Remember the "nut-shot" at UNI a few years ago?

grizindabox said:
BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

For Chalich he went from a pro-style/ball control offense to a hurry up, that was a challenge for him. Philips is going from hurry up to hurry up - so that adjustment won't be needed, as much.

I could see it going as follows:

2016 key battle: Gus vs Chalich and Phillips

2017 key battle: Phillips vs Prater and Kaegi

2018 key battle Prater vs Kaegi or Jensen or Bea

I really don't ever see Prater as a serious option....and think Jensen will be in the mix in 2017

I agree on Jensen. Coaching staff came right out and said he is the quarterback of the future. I could see them redshirting him and then literally giving him the reigns. In fact, Stitt likes him so much they stopped recruiting some other top quarterbacks all together once he committed. That tells me a lot.

BWahlberg said:
mikegriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I think your right about Gus keeping the job for now. Gonna be interesting to see if Chalich can get a better grip on the O and how quickly can Reese push Gus and Chalich? I think Stitt lost some confidence in Gus after the NDSU loss but I don't see Stitt replacing Gus cus of that. I see Stitt giving him an honest shot to keep the job if he proves to stay ahead of the competion. Normally I would not think much of Keige coming from a small school but Im guessing Stitt sees something in him. Aaron Rogers started at a JC also so there's always a chance of ge
tting something special. I'm also intrigued by Praters development and how the '17 battle between him and Reese will work out. And in '18? The future is bright for Griz QB's.

I still fail to comprehend why so many posters on here think Stitt wants a mobile QB... I don't think that's his priority in a QB.

I agree not his priority. But I bet he would be happy with someone who can do all he right things AND tuck it to run once in a great while when need be. We literally don't have a running option at all with Brady. I was wondering why they even tried read option with him when there would never be an option. In other words the defensive ends or linebackers never even froze for a quarter of a second and keyed directly on the running backs.

alabamagrizzly said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Brandon Bea didn't start over QB Jerrin Williams at Evergreen HS. Jerrin plays S for the Griz.
Wrong fit for their O. They must run some sort of heavy run offence because last year they averaged about 250 yards rushing a game and about 120 yards passing a game.

Yes, the Greater St. Helens League teams, of which Evergreen is one, tend to be "run first" offenses. The more successful this past year; Camas and Battleground are pass oriented.

I only watched Jerrin play once (against Camas) and their offense was definitely geared toward the run with a few passes when the dbs moved up to defend...

A better running scheme & more consistency from the o-line will help anyone behind center in the upcoming season. The zone read action is confusing for some posters, including me, when the QB is unlikely to run as was the case with Gus. Defenders just ignored the QB option and funneled things to the middle as much as possible. Perhaps it's the rumored TE addition, but until the young road graders are ready, there needs to be some scheme adaptation of what Stitt trotted out there last season.

And while I agree that Stitt isn't likely to be looking for a Chris Brown type, the ability to extend a play with his feet when protections break down would be a desirable quality for any Stitt QB. Sounds like we agree that a real QB competition this spring/fall would be a good thing.

Brady Gustafson = Full, Reese Phillips = Full, Chad Cahlich = Partial, Eric Prater = Non-Athletic Aid, Connor Kaegi = Walk-on, Gresch Jensen = Full, Brandon Bea = Walk-on.

Also, I have no clue what to expect from Reese Phillips but to dismiss dropdown QB's is pretty naive. The Griz alone have went to chippers because of dropdowns. Joe Flacco and Bo Levi Mitchell weren't too shabby. Just this season, the QB for Jacksonville State was a dropwdown who completely turned that program around. Quality dropdwon quarterbacks can be huge difference makers in the FCS and it's been proven time and time again.

havgrizfan said:
Brady Gustafson = Full, Reese Phillips = Full, Chad Cahlich = Partial, Eric Prater = Non-Athletic Aid, Connor Kaegi = Walk-on, Gresch Jensen = Full, Brandon Bea = Walk-on.

Also, I have no clue what to expect from Reese Phillips but to dismiss dropdown QB's is pretty naive. The Griz alone have went to chippers because of dropdowns. Joe Flacco and Bo Levi Mitchell weren't too shabby. Just this season, the QB for Jacksonville State was a dropwdown who completely turned that program around. Quality dropdwon quarterbacks can be huge difference makers in the FCS and it's been proven time and time again.

Heck our own Craig Ochs was a stud

Latest posts

Back