• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: QB

It's going to come down to how similar the offense was at UK and how many reps Phillips was able to get in. If he's actually had a good amount of reps and the playbook is very similar, then he's going to be ahead of the other Griz quarterbacks pretty quickly.

Phillips has had three full seasons in this offense. The other Griz have had one. He might have to learn a few new things. The other guys could barely run the offense last yar and still have a lot to learn.

Could Phillips be the second coming of Justin Roeper? Sure. But Stitt doesn't seem to tolerage guys who don't work out. Recall that the Griz had a wr transfer last spriong who was out of the program before Memorial Day.

I don't know if Coach Stitt wants a mobile quarterback or not, but it does seem to often be more productive when our QB can in fact run the ball.

Since our O only has one RB, no FB usually unless we are near the opponent's goal line, it just makes common sense that the our O is more effective when the opponents D has to honor the fact that our QB can indeed effectively run the ball if they key in on just defending our RB.

Against Cal-Poly, Brady did rumble 9 times for 33 yards for a 3.2 yd avg. (includes sacks) But the rest of his games were really woeful:
1st NDSU: 5 times for 13 yards, 0.8 avg.
2nd NDSU: 3 times for 0 Yards, -5.7 avg. (again, includes sacks)
SDSU playoff game: 3 times for 15 yards, 2.0 avg.
Boobcats: 4 times for 13 yards, 1.2 avg.
Eastern: 1 rush for 2 yards, 2.0 avg.
To be fair, Eastern, The Shi##y Kitties, SDSU, and 2nd NDSU were after Brady returned from his broken leg.

Compare that to Chalich and SImis, much more mobile QB's.

Chad Chalich:

NAU, 11 rushes for 51 yards, a 3.6 avg. (as always, including sacks)
Cal-Davis: 17 rushes for 70 yards, a 3.8 avg.
Weber: 6 rushes for 31 yards, a 4.0 avg. (Chalich went out with a broken foot, replaced by Makena SImis.)
Simis: 9 rushes for 48 yards, a 4.3 avg.

ND: Simis 9 rushes for 27 yards, a 1.8 avg.
PSU: 22 rushes for 102 yards, a 2.8 average
Idaho State: 22 rushes for 121 yards, a 4.8 avg.

Yes there are difference between the games: The Bison had a stellar run D, Idaho State, not so much. And our O line was totally whipped by NDSU's d front in the second game and was often suspect at opening holes throughout 2015 against The Big Sky's tougher D's, not to mention SDSU and the already previously mentioned NDSU.

That said, you don't have to be Vince Lombardi, Pete Carroll, or Nick Saban to know that the opposing D has twice the problems defending the run when both your RB and QB can tuck it and run in the offense Coach Stitt runs.

And the sad fact of the matter is Brady isn't going to win many foot races. Hopefully, he can increase his speed a little between now and the fall because the O line should be better this year, but it is probably still a year or two away from being where Coaches Stitt and Germer want it.

We need a QB that can effectively run the ball to keep the opposing D, especially the good ones like NDSU, honest and to also gain some yards when all of our receivers are covered--think Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Teddy Bridgewater, Dakota Prukop, Vernon Adams, etc. and you will get the picture I am trying to convey !!!

BWahlberg said:
mikegriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I think your right about Gus keeping the job for now. Gonna be interesting to see if Chalich can get a better grip on the O and how quickly can Reese push Gus and Chalich? I think Stitt lost some confidence in Gus after the NDSU loss but I don't see Stitt replacing Gus cus of that. I see Stitt giving him an honest shot to keep the job if he proves to stay ahead of the competion. Normally I would not think much of Keige coming from a small school but Im guessing Stitt sees something in him. Aaron Rogers started at a JC also so there's always a chance of getting something special. I'm also intrigued by Praters development and how the '17 battle between him and Reese will work out. And in '18? The future is bright for Griz QB's.

I was at the SDSU game. They figured how to defend Gus at halftime. By the end of NDSU game that was 6 bad quarters in a row for Gus. That had to have Stitt spooked, and he has picked up a drop down to help solve that issue. Hopefully Gus will figure out how to deal with what was thrown at him the last 6 quarters of the year by the end of fall camp.

Unless none of these incoming guys can both throw andrun, I'm thinking we're going to see a new #1 in 2016

I still fail to comprehend why so many posters on here think Stitt wants a mobile QB... I don't think that's his priority in a QB.

I still fail to comprehend why so many posters on here don't think Coach Stitt wants a mobile QB.....During his intro of Jensen at the Kalispell signing social he mentioned three times for us to watch his ability to extend plays with his feet and continue to look down field. (The kid is very good at it BTW.) I think he absolutely would prefer a QB who could run.... designed rollouts or whatever. Think about it. If a team's top two or three QBs were not very mobile would not a good coach say it didn't matter? He talked about Jensen twice as long as any other recruit. It seems to me he can't wait to get this type of player on the field.

Watching the playoffs (last year) it is pretty clear that you need somewhat of a running threat from the QB.

Of course Stitt would like a QB with mobility....but it is secondary to a smart QB that gets the ball out quickly.....

Will be Gustafson in 2016.

Jensen in 2017.

Hopefully a semi reliable backup emerges for '16 that doesn't require a different gameplan. Then hopefully build some depth behind Jensen, rather than crossing fingers with transfers.

Coach Stitt, in answering a question at Wed's QB Club meeting, said Will Weyer's hip surgery was not successful (did not take). He said he would remain with the program but not in capacity of a player. This is not an exact quote but one did not get the feeling he would play again.

Well...Coach Stitt also said, at the summer camp Jensen attended, after only 15 minutes of prep and work, he was calling the correct audibles.

havgrizfan said:
Brady Gustafson = Full, Reese Phillips = Full, Chad Cahlich = Partial, Eric Prater = Non-Athletic Aid, Connor Kaegi = Walk-on, Gresch Jensen = Full, Brandon Bea = Walk-on.

Also, I have no clue what to expect from Reese Phillips but to dismiss dropdown QB's is pretty naive. The Griz alone have went to chippers because of dropdowns. Joe Flacco and Bo Levi Mitchell weren't too shabby. Just this season, the QB for Jacksonville State was a dropwdown who completely turned that program around. Quality dropdwon quarterbacks can be huge difference makers in the FCS and it's been proven time and time again.

I'm not "dismissing" drop downs. But for every Craig Ochs there's a Jason Washington or Justin Roper or Nate Montana. A lot more HAVEN'T panned out than have....

AZ, I wasn't really talking about the Griz dropdown QB's over the years as much as I was the FCS as a whole. The FCS and formerly D-1AA have made a living off of dropdowns at that position. I agree, the Griz have picked up some pretty, umm, not so good ones though, even though I wouldn't put Roper and Jason Washington in the same category. Roper had an actual skill set, and he did win some games for the Griz. He'll just always be remembered for the loss against the Cats.

If you listen to him, Stitt wants a quarterback that can read the defense and put them in the right position pre-snap, make the right read immediately after the snap and then extend the play and allow the playmakers to find space if it breaks down. It is not about the read option. The legs are there if the defense gets too lazy and to extend plays. It is primarily about the arm and the brain.

Big G said:
The sec is no better than the pac12 and they rarely have great qb's. The pac12 has the best qb talent in the fbs and they do most years. Saying anything else is pure poppycock plain and simple.
Which conference are Sunday's starting QBs from?

HookedonGriz said:
havgrizfan said:
Brady Gustafson = Full, Reese Phillips = Full, Chad Cahlich = Partial, Eric Prater = Non-Athletic Aid, Connor Kaegi = Walk-on, Gresch Jensen = Full, Brandon Bea = Walk-on.

Also, I have no clue what to expect from Reese Phillips but to dismiss dropdown QB's is pretty naive. The Griz alone have went to chippers because of dropdowns. Joe Flacco and Bo Levi Mitchell weren't too shabby. Just this season, the QB for Jacksonville State was a dropwdown who completely turned that program around. Quality dropdwon quarterbacks can be huge difference makers in the FCS and it's been proven time and time again.

Heck our own Craig Ochs was a stud
As was Drew Miller.

grizatwork said:
If you listen to him, Stitt wants a quarterback that can read the defense and put them in the right position pre-snap, make the right read immediately after the snap and then extend the play and allow the playmakers to find space if it breaks down. It is not about the read option. The legs are there if the defense gets too lazy and to extend plays. It is primarily about the arm and the brain.
As usual, G@W is on point. I believe Stitt is mostly about taking what the defense is giving. He is flexible enough to adjust his offensive scheme to maximize it's impact on what the given defensive scheme is.

This shit's chess not checkers!
hqdefault.jpg

The drama BWaBerg is creating about the QB position is only an attempt to steer direction away from what truly controls the game. The fact that Stitt's recruiting has everything to do with 'owning' the trenches makes his originiality and intelligence about creative offense null and void. Yes. He brings on WR's and athletes, but without size on the line everyone loses. Doesn't matter how dumb or smart you call the game.
Stitt... Hope you make millions while recruiting big kids to play in one of the best avenues of their lives!! When you win; don't take it to heart. You're not that smart! And (yes; I began a sentence with and;) when you lose... Don't blame it on anyone but you. #ownership

Addicted2Mediocracy said:
The drama BWaBerg is creating about the QB position is only an attempt to steer direction away from what truly controls the game. The fact that Stitt's recruiting has everything to do with 'owning' the trenches makes his originiality and intelligence about creative offense null and void. Yes. He brings on WR's and athletes, but without size on the line everyone loses. Doesn't matter how dumb or smart you call the game.
Stitt... Hope you make millions while recruiting big kids to play in one of the best avenues of their lives!! When you win; don't take it to heart. You're not that smart! And (yes; I began a sentence with and;) when you lose... Don't blame it on anyone but you. #ownership

Maybe have another drink or two

You've officially lost it.

BWahlberg said:
At this time I don't see Gus losing the job, I think the addition of Phillips will bring the best out in him. Last year's competition really pushed him, and it surprised many that he won the job - however he proved he can run this offense and beat good football teams.
Unfortunately he proved some other things as well. How many teams with a decent defense did he beat? NDSU the first time had never seen him; they certainly figured him out the second time. Stitt couldn't be happy with the last six quarters put in by Gus. Even though a senior, Gus is not long on PT experience. I'm hoping Phillips might bring better consistentcy and provide at least a bit of a running threat as Chalich and Simis did. I think the job is wide open to start spring ball.

And this brings us to our last topic of the day boys and girls....DON'T DO CRACK!

Ursa Major said:
grizatwork said:
As usual, G@W is on point. I believe Stitt is mostly about taking what the defense is giving. He is flexible enough to adjust his offensive scheme to maximize it's impact on what the given defensive scheme is.

This shit's chess not checkers!
hqdefault.jpg

I listened. Stitt also said he wanted a balanced offense, and he attempted to execute on that, with mixed results. What you saw the last 6 Q's of last season, show you how tough that will be in this season if you can't manufacture pass protection or a running game. All the concern about the QB attributes is interesting conversation, but the reality is that the horses up front need to dominate for this offense to be successful.

Latest posts

Back