• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: QB

AZGrizFan said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Reese Phillips - Obviously the guy everyone's going to watch. Yes he's an SEC transfer, but from a school that hasn't posted a winning season in 5 years now and I don't think he saw much of the field at all. One post I read on here did probably sum it up though, you don't get to the SEC by accident, so presumably Phillips will bring some heated competition to the QB race. Another benefit Phillips has is that UK's offense and Stitt's offense have some similar styles, so the quick pace and fast reads won't be an adjustment for him (like it was for Chalich last year). We'll have to see how Phillips does in the spring, obviously a lot of people are assuming he'll rise quickly and will battle Gus to start. My guess is that it won't be solved come the end of spring ball.

I used to assume that as well....then Roper came along.

True, but most years SEC > Pac12. I am in no way saying Phillips will be great (or even better than Roper) just because he played in the SEC, but he is coming in with a lot of potential. Only time will tell if he is more like Roper or Ochs in terms of drop down QBs. :twocents:

All I'm saying is these guys drop down for a reason. They don't see the field at their original school for a reason. Don't expect miracles from Phillips just because he was at an SEC school.

No worse word in the world than "potential".

Potential isn't the problem it is expectation that is the problem.

I think no matter who wins the QB competition this year, Jensen will be given every opportunity to win it in 2017 and should be considered the favorite at this point. Obviously Phillips could become an All-American and things can change, but we know nothing certain about any 2017 option except Gus will be graduated. The quotes Stitt has said about Jensen, the future of the program, coaches don't just throw that around for someone they aren't going to give every opportunity to play soon.

My guess is the travelling QB depth chart will be Gus/Phillips at 1 or 2 depending on how the position battle goes, and Jensen will be the third QB to travel while red shirting. If one of the top two gets hurt I think you will see Chalich or someone jump Jensen for actual playing time to preserve Jensen's red shirt. I just think Stitt will want this kid learning everything he can about the offense.

YttriumGriz39 said:
AZGrizFan said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
AZGrizFan said:

True, but most years SEC > Pac12. I am in no way saying Phillips will be great (or even better than Roper) just because he played in the SEC, but he is coming in with a lot of potential. Only time will tell if he is more like Roper or Ochs in terms of drop down QBs. :twocents:

All I'm saying is these guys drop down for a reason. They don't see the field at their original school for a reason. Don't expect miracles from Phillips just because he was at an SEC school.

So the problem is we expect them to perform? Or the problem is we have too high of expectations?

AZGrizFan said:
YttriumGriz39 said:
AZGrizFan said:
GRIZFAN20 said:

So the problem is we expect them to perform? Or the problem is we have too high of expectations?

yes

grizindabox said:
Of course Stitt would like a QB with mobility....but it is secondary to a smart QB that gets the ball out quickly.....
That's about the best way to put it.

I don't think Stitt has ever once said he didn't want a mobile quarterback. Not at Mines or here. But, he has for sure said, many, many times, if you watch his old Mines videos especially, that a running quarterback isn't a must or even a priority for his offense.

grizband said:
Any chance that Jensen competes for the starting gig in 2016?

If there were no Brady or Phillips, yes. Because they are both here, I'd say no. I do expect him to start or play a big role in 2017 though.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Reese Phillips - Obviously the guy everyone's going to watch. Yes he's an SEC transfer, but from a school that hasn't posted a winning season in 5 years now and I don't think he saw much of the field at all. One post I read on here did probably sum it up though, you don't get to the SEC by accident, so presumably Phillips will bring some heated competition to the QB race. Another benefit Phillips has is that UK's offense and Stitt's offense have some similar styles, so the quick pace and fast reads won't be an adjustment for him (like it was for Chalich last year). We'll have to see how Phillips does in the spring, obviously a lot of people are assuming he'll rise quickly and will battle Gus to start. My guess is that it won't be solved come the end of spring ball.

Ugh, good point
Look at Money Earnin Vernon, Great at the FCS level and great at the FBS level. I'll be surprised if Phillips excels here.

HookedonGriz said:
grizband said:
Any chance that Jensen competes for the starting gig in 2016?

If there were no Brady or Phillips, yes. Because they are both here, I'd say no. I do expect him to start or play a big role in 2017 though.

It's a long shot but, I don't think it is totally out of the question. It would be optimal to RS him and have him grow with this incredible O line that just signed. However, Stitt is also under alot of pressure to win. If it is clear Jensen gives him a better chance to do that then, "so be it" I believe I heard him say in Kal. It wouldn't be the first time a freshman ended up being the starter. Was the "2015 Newcomer of the Year" from NAU a freshman? Or a RS freshman?

Addicted2Mediocracy said:
The drama BWaBerg is creating about the QB position is only an attempt to steer direction away from what truly controls the game. The fact that Stitt's recruiting has everything to do with 'owning' the trenches makes his originiality and intelligence about creative offense null and void. Yes. He brings on WR's and athletes, but without size on the line everyone loses. Doesn't matter how dumb or smart you call the game.
Stitt... Hope you make millions while recruiting big kids to play in one of the best avenues of their lives!! When you win; don't take it to heart. You're not that smart! And (yes; I began a sentence with and;) when you lose... Don't blame it on anyone but you. #ownership

Wha? I think this is called word puke

Addicted2Mediocracy said:
The drama BWaBerg is creating about the QB position is only an attempt to steer direction away from what truly controls the game. The fact that Stitt's recruiting has everything to do with 'owning' the trenches makes his originiality and intelligence about creative offense null and void. Yes. He brings on WR's and athletes, but without size on the line everyone loses. Doesn't matter how dumb or smart you call the game.
Stitt... Hope you make millions while recruiting big kids to play in one of the best avenues of their lives!! When you win; don't take it to heart. You're not that smart! And (yes; I began a sentence with and;) when you lose... Don't blame it on anyone but you. #ownership

Knew BW was up to something fishy with this QB thread....

:lol:

I think Brady Gustafson will be the starter. He broke his leg in the third game of the season and somehow managed to salvage the season after the Idaho St. game on one healthy leg. The Grizzlies probably don't defeat EWU or MSU with Mekena Simis behind center IMO. Brady was the ONLY quarterback on the roster that made the offense a threat. Gus will be a 5th year senior with playoff experience next season and this is a good thing to have. A transfer and especially a high school kid coming in here in the fall will have a hard time winning the job from Brady "the golden goose" Gustafson.

grizaremoregooder said:
I think Brady Gustafson will be the starter. He broke his leg in the third game of the season and somehow managed to salvage the season after the Idaho St. game on one healthy leg. The Grizzlies probably don't defeat EWU or MSU with Mekena Simis behind center IMO. Brady was the ONLY quarterback on the roster that made the offense a threat. Gus will be a 5th year senior with playoff experience next season and this is a good thing to have. A transfer and especially a high school kid coming in here in the fall will have a hard time winning the job from Brady "the golden goose" Gustafson.
Brady is so damn fun to watch play. He looks so comfortable out there. It's definitely his team as long as he stays healthy. I hope he shreds the Big Sky next season.

grizaremoregooder said:

Agreed. Why any Griz fan isn't ecstatic to have him at QB is beyond me. When healthy, Gustafson is the most athletic QB on roster. But as he showed, he's pretty damn effective when not 100%.

Stitt deserves more if not all of the blame for the NDSU playoff debacle. Stitt and Co were totally out-coached by NDSU's staff.

griz5700 said:
grizaremoregooder said:

Agreed. Why any Griz fan isn't ecstatic to have him at QB is beyond me. When healthy, Gustafson is the most athletic QB on roster. But as he showed, he's pretty damn effective when not 100%.

Stitt deserves more if not all of the blame for the NDSU playoff debacle. Stitt and Co were totally out-coached by NDSU's staff.
We were out-gunned against NDSU. Their horses up front owned ours and everyone else's thru the playoffs. We did no worse against NDSU than Richmond or Jacksonville State.

NDSU has a roster filled to the brim with talent, we simply didnt match up with them at all in the trenches or depth-wise.

brewskis said:
griz5700 said:
grizaremoregooder said:

We were out-gunned against NDSU. Their horses up front owned ours and everyone else's thru the playoffs. We did no worse against NDSU than Richmond or Jacksonville State.

NDSU has a roster filled to the brim with talent, we simply didnt match up with them at all in the trenches or depth-wise.

I don't buy into that at all. If there was such a talent disparity between NDSU and UM, no way the Griz beat the Bison week 1. I thought after the first game UM was the more talented team.

Difference is coaching. NDSU develops talent, their players are disciplined, and they always peak at the right time. That is coaching. The Griz were stunned and confused in the second matchup. Impossible to display talent when every offensive player is confused in their assignment.

griz5700 said:
brewskis said:
griz5700 said:
grizaremoregooder said:

I don't buy into that at all. If there was such a talent disparity between NDSU and UM, no way the Griz beat the Bison week 1. I thought after the first game UM was the more talented team.

Difference is coaching. NDSU develops talent, their players are disciplined, and they always peak at the right time. That is coaching. The Griz were stunned and confused in the second matchup. Impossible to display talent when every offensive player is confused in their assignment.
Montana had all the advantages working for them in the first game. They were at home (HUGE ADVANTAGE) and coach Stitt and Staff had an ENTIRE SUMMER to break down NDSU on film. NDSU was looking at CO. school of mines film that summer......HUGE ADVANTAGE MONTANA. Montana needed everything to go perfect for the victory and that's pretty much what happened. The second game was played in the Fargo Dome and the Bizon had an entire season of film and a bye week to prepare for the Griz. NDSU was a more talented football team last season especially on the offensive and defensive fronts (Tyrone Holmes was the exception). The Griz didn't have an offensive lineman on the roster that would have played a single down for the Bizon. This is why the coaching staff recruited the offensive and defensive lines so heavily in this class. The Griz have some catching up do. I honestly think they are two years out from getting to where they need to be. Sticking with this thread, the quarterback position was not the problem last season nor was it the coaching.

griz5700 said:
brewskis said:
griz5700 said:
grizaremoregooder said:

The difference in the first game was we got the ball to where we were better. Our receivers vs their secondary. Brady just didn't have any time the second game. Which is due to what everyone agrees, our line play.

PhxGriz said:
griz5700 said:
brewskis said:
griz5700 said:

The difference in the first game was we got the ball to where we were better. Our receivers vs their secondary. Brady just didn't have any time the second game. Which is due to what everyone agrees, our line play.

Were they facing a different NDSU d-line? Because they handled them very well in the first game. We had a terrible gameplan in round 2.

Back