• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: RB

Alaska Griz said:
Hammer said:
Alaska Griz said:
Glendivegriz said:
Did we burn Calhoun's redshirt?

yes

You should educate yourself on how the redshirt system works.
I played in college...so I'm pretty familar with how red-shirting works...and I didn't say it was a bad thing that he played as a true frosh, but don't kid yourself, he played because he had to. If you dislike the word "burn," then so be it. Yes, he can still red-shirt another year if he gets injured...however, most programs, including UM, strive to redshirt players their first year to allow them to grow. In light of that, when they play as a true freshmen the term most often used is "burn." It's not accurate in one sense, but that is what coaches call it, hence why Stitt said they wanted to red-shirt Calhoun, but had no choice but to play him.

Actually his redshirt was "preserved". Ask Stitt about "burned his redshirt"! I don't think he will agree with you. You obviously didn't pay attention when you played in college. Calhoun still has his regular redshirt season to use. You mention injury. He could get another "medical redshirt" season also if he played in less than 30% of the teams games before the halfway point of the season. Have you never heard of a 6th yr senior?

"Actually his redshirt was "preserved". Ask Stitt about "burned his redshirt"! I don't think he will agree with you. You obviously didn't pay attention when you played in college. Calhoun still has his regular redshirt season to use. You mention injury. He could get another "medical redshirt" season also if he played in less than 30% of the teams games before the halfway point of the season. Have you never heard of a 6th yr senior?"

Sure we have. Try Zack Vraa. Glad he finally grew up and outta college.

Alaska Griz said:
Hammer said:
Alaska Griz said:
Glendivegriz said:
Did we burn Calhoun's redshirt?

yes

I played in college...so I'm pretty familar with how red-shirting works...and I didn't say it was a bad thing that he played as a true frosh, but don't kid yourself, he played because he had to. If you dislike the word "burn," then so be it. Yes, he can still red-shirt another year if he gets injured...however, most programs, including UM, strive to redshirt players their first year to allow them to grow. In light of that, when they play as a true freshmen the term most often used is "burn." It's not accurate in one sense, but that is what coaches call it, hence why Stitt said they wanted to red-shirt Calhoun, but had no choice but to play him.

Yo
I think that says it

Hammer said:
Alaska Griz said:
Hammer said:
Alaska Griz said:

Actually his redshirt was "preserved". Ask Stitt about "burned his redshirt"! I don't think he will agree with you. You obviously didn't pay attention when you played in college. Calhoun still has his regular redshirt season to use. You mention injury. He could get another "medical redshirt" season also if he played in less than 30% of the teams games before the halfway point of the season. Have you never heard of a 6th yr senior?
Burned, Preserved… Doesn't really matter what you call it? How many players after playing as a true freshman actually go on to skip a year so that they can use the red shirt? Of course there are always some situations where they have an injury and can use it or like in JJ's case but really, no player is just going to opt to skip his sophomore junior or senior year just so they can use their red shirt

Hammer said:
Alaska Griz said:
Hammer said:
Alaska Griz said:

I think Stitt would agree with what I said. The original question was, "did he burn his red-shirt?" By definition, yes, he did. Again, in my experience the term "burning a red-shirt" means that a player was suppose to red-shirt, but is activated mid season because of need, is said to have burned his red-shirt. In that same sense, JJ "burned" his red-shirt when he was activated mid-season. UltimateIy, a player who burns their red-shirt after the season starts is missing out on games they could have played in. Perhaps that's where the negative connotation comes from. I didn't create the expression. If you take a red-shirt year because of injury, nobody says you are burning your red-shirt. You're just red-shirting. However, if you are activated part way through the season because of need, you now have to count that partial year as a whole year....thus, you burned your redshirt. Hope this helps.

John Nguyen has no break away speed whatsoever and is tiny. He gets run over trying to block linebackers in pass protection and does not break tackles because of his size. He is an absolute liability returning punts. He lets the ball hit the ground most of the time or flat out muffs the catch too many times to be on the field. He is a very shifty runner who can make people miss in space and he is a damn tough kid with the heart of a lion which is why he is on the field. The Calhoun kid will be a lot better this season with a year in the weight room. He has a lot more up side than John Nguyen. Treshawn Favors was a highly touted recruit that hasn't amounted to jack squat thus far. Joey Counts would really help this team out if he could stay healthy...Brody Martinez is a freshmen and I know nothing about him other than he is a freshmen. Rey Green NEEDS TO REDSHIRT. The running back on the field (whoever that may be) will still be running behind the same offensive line.....if the O-line doesn't make huge strides, the Grizzly running attack will struggle again next season.

PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
If Calhoun can improve his pass-blocking I expect he'll take the starting job. He already was our best back at finishing his runs, Nguyen was just needed badly to help with pass protection.

Aside from those two guys our depth is pretty murky....maybe Favors? I'm betting Martinez is a year out from being division 1 ready. Don't think we can ever expect Counts to be ready on a consistent basis. I'll bet we see a FBS drop down over the summer.

Perhaps you will be proven to be right, but why do you think Calhoun will start?

In 184 carries, Nguyen averaged 4.6 yards per carry and had a long of 48. He also caught 31 passes. He had one fumble and didn't lose any.

In 100 carries, Calhoun averaged 2.9 per carry and had a long of 27. He caught 5 passes. He lost 1 fumble.

Calhoun will play alot and will improve, of course.
Calhoun actually has had an offseason now to train and get polished in our offense. His average ypc is a little distorted because he was used heavily in short yardage situations, one yard touchdown runs don't help your stats much.....but stats don't mean shit anyways.

grizaremoregooder said:
John Nguyen has no break away speed whatsoever and is tiny. We haven't had a RB with breakaway speed since I can't remember when. Please tell me the last RB we had that was going to outrun opposing cornerbacks?
He gets run over trying to block linebackers in pass protection and does not break tackles because of his size. He is the best pass blocking RB on our roster-BAR NONE. Brady would be dead right now if not for Nguyen's blocking. You should go back and watch some of his runs again if you don't think he breaks tackles. Sure, he might not break tackles when there's three guys meeting him 2 yards behind the LOS, but he broke a TON of tackles last year.
He is an absolute liability returning punts. He lets the ball hit the ground most of the time or flat out muffs the catch too many times to be on the field. I don't believe he had a SINGLE muff last year. And many times, letting it hit the ground is due to a crappy punter. Would you rather he race up and try to catch it on a dead run? Or catch it on a bounce? Did you see what happened to Patrick Peterson of the Cardinals when he tried that?
He is a very shifty runner who can make people miss in space and he is a damn tough kid with the heart of a lion which is why he is on the field. Well, you got one ting right.

Of all the problems with the Griz offense last year, John Nguyen was NOT one of them.

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
If Calhoun can improve his pass-blocking I expect he'll take the starting job. He already was our best back at finishing his runs, Nguyen was just needed badly to help with pass protection.

Aside from those two guys our depth is pretty murky....maybe Favors? I'm betting Martinez is a year out from being division 1 ready. Don't think we can ever expect Counts to be ready on a consistent basis. I'll bet we see a FBS drop down over the summer.

Perhaps you will be proven to be right, but why do you think Calhoun will start?

In 184 carries, Nguyen averaged 4.6 yards per carry and had a long of 48. He also caught 31 passes. He had one fumble and didn't lose any.

In 100 carries, Calhoun averaged 2.9 per carry and had a long of 27. He caught 5 passes. He lost 1 fumble.

Calhoun will play alot and will improve, of course.
Calhoun actually has had an offseason now to train and get polished in our offense. His average ypc is a little distorted because he was used heavily in short yardage situations, one yard touchdown runs don't help your stats much.....but stats don't mean shit anyways.

Calhoun's Stats:

UC-Davis: 5 carries, 18 yards, 1 TD (5 yards)==> 4 carries for 13 yards =3.25ypc
WSU: 6 carries, 11 yards, 0 TD==> 6 carries for 11 yards = 1.83 ypc
UND: 8 carries, 17 yards, 0 TD==> 8 carries for 17 yards = 2.1 ypc
PSU: 12 carries, 44 yards, 1 TD (2 yards)==> 11 carries for 42 yards = 3.81 ypc
ISU: 21 carries, 98 yards, 1 TD (3 yards)==> 20 carries for 95 yards = 4.75 ypc
EWU: 18 carries, 29 yards, 3 TD (3,1,3 yards)==>15 carries for 22 yards = 1.46 ypc
MSU: 17 carries, 45 yards, 2 TD (11,10 yards)==>15 carries for 24 yards = 1.6 ypc
SDSU: 10 carries, 29 yards, 1 TD (2 yards) ==> 9 carries for 27 yards = 3 ypc
NDSU: 4 carries, 4 yards, 0 TD ==> 4 carries for 4 yards = 1.0 ypc

Season (excluding TD runs): 92 carries for 255 yards ==> 2.77 ypc

So, in actuality, Calhoun's ypc actually goes DOWN when you remove the TD runs. But stats don't mean shit anyways.

AZGrizFan said:
Calhoun's Stats:

UC-Davis: 5 carries, 18 yards, 1 TD (5 yards)==> 4 carries for 13 yards =3.25ypc
EWU: 18 carries, 29 yards, 3 TD (3,1,3 yards)==>15 carries for 22 yards = 1.46 ypc
MSU: 17 carries, 45 yards, 2 TD (11,10 yards)==>15 carries for 24 yards = 1.6 ypc

So, in actuality, Calhoun's ypc actually goes DOWN when you remove the TD runs. But stats don't mean shit anyways.
I really don't think we should be nit-picking Calhoun's performance on a decimal difference per yard basis.....he hit the ground running as a true freshman when we desperately needed a running back. And he performed. Easily the best raw talent we have at that position, he may blow the doors off the BSC with a better offensive line and a year in the weight room and our training program.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, FOOTBALL statistics are not accurate on a scientifically and mathematically logical basis. The word "averages" is more accurate than statistics, because football "statistics" ignore every statistical parameter that is considered when looking at a dataset (any players measurables).

While Nguyen did fine last year, it would be great if someone else like Calhoun emerged to have a breakout year. Nguyen is okay but never going to be great, this is the issue.

AZGrizFan said:
Of all the problems with the Griz offense last year, John Nguyen was NOT one of them.
:thumb: Absolutely agree. When the Griz were fighting for a postseason spot, he had two straight 100+ yard games (vs. EWU, MSU) and then carried that over into the first round with another 100+ yard effort against SDSU. With the exception of the season-ending loss at NDSU, when everyone got throttled, he got better as the year went on (almost certainly coinciding with improving O-Line play). I think he's a lock for starting RB in 2016 and I think he'll eclipse 1000 yards rushing.

brewskis said:
AZGrizFan said:
Calhoun's Stats:

I really don't think we should be nit-picking Calhoun's performance on a decimal difference per yard basis.....he hit the ground running as a true freshman when we desperately needed a running back. And he performed. Easily the best raw talent we have at that position, he may blow the doors off the BSC with a better offensive line and a year in the weight room and our training program.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, FOOTBALL statistics are not accurate on a scientifically and mathematically logical basis. The word "averages" is more accurate than statistics, because football "statistics" ignore every statistical parameter that is considered when looking at a dataset (any players measurables).

Well how should we compare players? By height?

AZGrizFan said:
grizaremoregooder said:
John Nguyen has no break away speed whatsoever and is tiny. We haven't had a RB with breakaway speed since I can't remember when. Please tell me the last RB we had that was going to outrun opposing cornerbacks?
He gets run over trying to block linebackers in pass protection and does not break tackles because of his size. He is the best pass blocking RB on our roster-BAR NONE. Brady would be dead right now if not for Nguyen's blocking. You should go back and watch some of his runs again if you don't think he breaks tackles. Sure, he might not break tackles when there's three guys meeting him 2 yards behind the LOS, but he broke a TON of tackles last year.
He is an absolute liability returning punts. He lets the ball hit the ground most of the time or flat out muffs the catch too many times to be on the field. I don't believe he had a SINGLE muff last year. And many times, letting it hit the ground is due to a crappy punter. Would you rather he race up and try to catch it on a dead run? Or catch it on a bounce? Did you see what happened to Patrick Peterson of the Cardinals when he tried that?
He is a very shifty runner who can make people miss in space and he is a damn tough kid with the heart of a lion which is why he is on the field. Well, you got one ting right.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
brewskis said:
AZGrizFan said:
Calhoun's Stats:

Now that was funny. Perhaps another way to compare would be to adopt the views of people who consistently show that they don't understand the game. Or, the views of people who consistently ignore facts and reality.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizaremoregooder said:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

X4 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
brewskis said:
AZGrizFan said:
Calhoun's Stats:

Now that was funny. Perhaps another way to compare would be to adopt the views of people who consistently show that they don't understand the game. Or, the views of people who consistently ignore facts and reality.

Sorry....it's a modified line from Caddyshack. :D

Latest posts

Back