• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: RB

I don't really understand the built up anger from posters on here towards John Nguyen. There's arguments for and against him but honestly he's the best well-rounded back we've got. As you look at it:

1. Posters argue that he fumbles too much / muffs too many punts. Think he put the ball on the ground once last season and I can't recall directly but maybe just once or twice the season before. His Sophomore year I don't recall but it seems people still hang on a particularly bad spring game he had in 2014 or 2013. Or they carry over opinions of his brother towards him. If we want to worry about fumbles we should be worried about he QBs and WRs who had more than the RBs I believe.

2. His punt returning decisions are mostly good yet people will hang on the couple of times he lets the ball roll and get pinned deep. Meanwhile they choose to ignore the times when he lets them roll and they go out the endzone for a touchback. He's not the perfect punt returner and maybe we just got spoiled with Marc Mariani, but in his last two seasons he's been pretty good, even has 1 return for a TD doesn't he?

3. Anyone that says he gets run over or can't pass block simply isn't watching him play. He's the best pass blocker of the RB corps and as AZ points out he saved Brady many times from getting destroyed by a blitzing back. I believe Nguyen is currently the best in the weight room with squat weight vs body weight or something along those lines (he was last year at least). His lower body strength and leverage makes him a vital blocker in a pass-heavy offense.

4. He's the best pass catcher of the backs at this point... hell he's the most accomplished returning pass catcher on the whole team right now!

5. People point out he got tackled too quickly/wrapped up too quickly. He had a 4.6 yard per carry average! Additionally as AZ also stated, it's not necessarily his fault if two or three tacklers get through the line and meet him in the backfield. Hardly any running back is going to have success there.

6. Yes, he can't hold a top speed. Chase Reynolds did, Jordan Canada and TraVon Van could... but Nguyen can't. He's good for 25-30 yards at full speed. It is what it is for 2016 and his upside is worth what's lost once he gets 30 yards downfield, IMO

John Nguyen fumbled 13 times last year, and lost 9. The year before he fumbled 11 times and lost 10.

Pete Nguyen had 49 career fumbles, losing 28.

Raider said:
John Nguyen fumbled 13 times last year, and lost 9. The year before he fumbled 11 times and lost 10.

Pete Nguyen had 49 career fumbles, losing 28.

/sarcam

Pete actually had 49,000 fumbles if you want to be statistically accurate

Realizing that some posters think that stats are illegal if they disagree with those posters' perceptions or views, I will mention that John Nguyen hasn't lost a fumble in the past 2 seasons. He has 1 fumble, not lost, in each of the past 2 years. This despite many carries, many catches, being the main punt returner, and returning some kickoffs. In the past 2 years, he is the probably the player, out of all rb's, qb's, and receivers, with the best fumble stats.

BWahlberg said:
I don't really understand the built up anger from posters on here towards John Nguyen. There's arguments for and against him but honestly he's the best well-rounded back we've got. As you look at it:

1. Posters argue that he fumbles too much / muffs too many punts. Think he put the ball on the ground once last season and I can't recall directly but maybe just once or twice the season before. His Sophomore year I don't recall but it seems people still hang on a particularly bad spring game he had in 2014 or 2013. Or they carry over opinions of his brother towards him. If we want to worry about fumbles we should be worried about he QBs and WRs who had more than the RBs I believe.
Hell there was one play (I think it was the first NDSU game) where he literally almost got his head ripped off with a facemask, and he STILL broke the tackle, didn't fumble and picked up like 7 yards on the play.

The fail about this is people want to compare Nguyen with other running backs on the Griz roster......I want to compare him to the top running backs in FCS.....I hope someday soon the Griz have a top back...

grizindabox said:
The fail about this is people want to compare Nguyen with other running backs on the Griz roster......I want to compare him to the top running backs in FCS.....I hope someday soon the Griz have a top back...

For sure, who doesn't - but the reality is this is what we're working with in 2016.

grizindabox said:

In a season where the o-line hardly got in anyone's way, not going to fault Nyguen. But Agree that someone like Santiago should be the example of what good looks like. Maybe there's a guy or two on the roster now that fits that bill.

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

Hell there was one play (I think it was the first NDSU game) where he literally almost got his head ripped off with a facemask, and he STILL broke the tackle, didn't fumble and picked up like 7 yards on the play.

3 yards and a 1st down:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4Wgfw8rCguw?t=955[/youtube]

BWahlberg said:
grizindabox said:

For sure, who doesn't - but the reality is this is what we're working with in 2016.

Correct....and it really doesn't matter who the starter is....all very underwhelming.....which is why there will be more pressure on the QB and WR's....

bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:

In a season where the o-line hardly got in anyone's way, not going to fault Nyguen. But Agree that someone like Santiago should be the example of what good looks like. Maybe there's a guy or two on the roster now that fits that bill.

We were certain that was going to be Counts. Then Logwood. Then Favors. Now Calhoun.

AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:

We were certain that was going to be Counts. Then Logwood. Then Favors. Now Calhoun.

Funny thing on "Santiago should be the example" - that dude was recruited by nobody he was a total under the radar. Sometimes teams just get lucky with guys like that.

grizindabox said:

The fail on this is you wanting to compare to top running backs in FCS. So, I guess you're idea is that any discussion about UM players should involve only comparison to the top players in FCS? Don't see how discussions like that are very useful. In fact, it can be stipulated that no one on the Griz will be the best player at their position in FCS. Holmes was this year, but don't see any next year.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

The fail on this is you wanting to compare to top running backs in FCS. So, I guess you're idea is that any discussion about UM players should involve only comparison to the top players in FCS? Don't see how discussions like that are very useful. In fact, it can be stipulated that no one on the Griz will be the best player at their position in FCS. Holmes was this year, but don't see any next year.

Funny....I don't see anywhere that I stated "best player at their position in FCS"....twist away...

grizindabox said:

Interesting comment coming from a middle of the pack poster.

griz5700 said:
grizindabox said:

Interesting comment coming from a middle of the pack poster.

stfn.gif

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:

Funny thing on "Santiago should be the example" - that dude was recruited by nobody he was a total under the radar. Sometimes teams just get lucky with guys like that.

So much so that he was actually a receiver at North Dakota until some running backs were hurt and they threw him in there during fall camp and he won the job. I bet they were glad he did

Back