• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: RB

HookedonGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
In a season where the o-line hardly got in anyone's way, not going to fault Nyguen. But Agree that someone like Santiago should be the example of what good looks like. Maybe there's a guy or two on the roster now that fits that bill.

We were certain that was going to be Counts. Then Logwood. Then Favors. Now Calhoun.

Funny thing on "Santiago should be the example" - that dude was recruited by nobody he was a total under the radar. Sometimes teams just get lucky with guys like that.

So much so that he was actually a receiver at North Dakota until some running backs were hurt and they threw him in there during fall camp and he won the job. I bet they were glad he did

Sounds similar to Chase Reynolds story as a Griz. He was pegged as a WR when he came in as well.

griz5700 said:
grizindabox said:
The fail about this is people want to compare Nguyen with other running backs on the Griz roster......I want to compare him to the top running backs in FCS.....I hope someday soon the Griz have a top back...

Interesting comment coming from a middle of the pack poster.

Surprised a lower tier poster would notice....

BWahlberg said:
HookedonGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
We were certain that was going to be Counts. Then Logwood. Then Favors. Now Calhoun.

Funny thing on "Santiago should be the example" - that dude was recruited by nobody he was a total under the radar. Sometimes teams just get lucky with guys like that.

So much so that he was actually a receiver at North Dakota until some running backs were hurt and they threw him in there during fall camp and he won the job. I bet they were glad he did

Sounds similar to Chase Reynolds story as a Griz. He was pegged as a WR when he came in as well.

So was Tru. :lol: :lol:

grizindabox said:
griz5700 said:
grizindabox said:
The fail about this is people want to compare Nguyen with other running backs on the Griz roster......I want to compare him to the top running backs in FCS.....I hope someday soon the Griz have a top back...

Interesting comment coming from a middle of the pack poster.

Surprised a lower tier poster would notice....

Boom! Returned with topspin!

Raider said:
John Nguyen fumbled 13 times last year, and lost 9. The year before he fumbled 11 times and lost 10.

Pete Nguyen had 49 career fumbles, losing 28.

:lol:

There you have it. Facts are facts, people!

Ringneck said:
Raider said:
John Nguyen fumbled 13 times last year, and lost 9. The year before he fumbled 11 times and lost 10.

giphy.gif

grizcountry420 said:
Ringneck said:
Raider said:

giphy.gif

Uh, so was mine. Thought the laughing yellow guy made that obvious...? No?
I obviously need to improve my "smilies" game.

Ringneck said:
grizcountry420 said:
Ringneck said:
Raider said:

giphy.gif

Uh, so was mine. Thought the laughing yellow guy made that obvious...? No?
I obviously need to improve my "smilies" game.

Yeah. Your smilies game is weak as shit, man.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

The fail on this is you wanting to compare to top running backs in FCS. So, I guess you're idea is that any discussion about UM players should involve only comparison to the top players in FCS? Don't see how discussions like that are very useful. In fact, it can be stipulated that no one on the Griz will be the best player at their position in FCS. Holmes was this year, but don't see any next year.

Funny....I don't see anywhere that I stated "best player at their position in FCS"....twist away...

Okay, so do you think it helps your fail argument to say "top running backs in FCS"? Is the best running back in FBS not one of the top running backs in FCS? I quoted your post. Everyone could see exactly what you said. I hope you feel better now.

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
HookedonGriz said:
BWahlberg said:

Well......maybe one of the 20 some WRs now on the team will turn out to be "The guy".

I don't think JN is going to the NFL but he is one of the toughest sons-of-bitches we've ever had. There were several times last year when I just looked away and thought,"Stay down." But he got back up every time.

daGrizJ said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
HookedonGriz said:

Well......maybe one of the 20 some WRs now on the team will turn out to be "The guy".

I don't think JN is going to the NFL but he is one of the toughest sons-of-bitches we've ever had. There were several times last year when I just looked away and thought,"Stay down." But he got back up every time.

Man, me too. There were several times I was just SURE he was dead. Not getting up. Ever. But he always bounced right back up and ran back to the huddle!

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

The fail on this is you wanting to compare to top running backs in FCS. So, I guess you're idea is that any discussion about UM players should involve only comparison to the top players in FCS? Don't see how discussions like that are very useful. In fact, it can be stipulated that no one on the Griz will be the best player at their position in FCS. Holmes was this year, but don't see any next year.

Funny....I don't see anywhere that I stated "best player at their position in FCS"....twist away...

Okay, so do you think it helps your fail argument to say "top running backs in FCS"? Is the best running back in FBS not one of the top running backs in FCS? I quoted your post. Everyone could see exactly what you said. I hope you feel better now.

wtf does FBS have to do with it.....it would be great to have a running back that is considered among the best in FCS....instead of a middle tier BSC running back that all everyone wants to do is compare him Calhoun....like that is a good thing....

AZGrizFan said:
Man, me too. There were several times I was just SURE he was dead. Not getting up. Ever. But he always bounced right back up and ran back to the huddle!
The kid is a rock, but I will be glad when he graduates. I am tired of flinching.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

wtf does FBS have to do with it.....it would be great to have a running back that is considered among the best in FCS....instead of a middle tier BSC running back that all everyone wants to do is compare him Calhoun....like that is a good thing....

It would always be great to have the best player in football, but sometimes we just have to work with what we have, and discuss which one of the guys is the best or may be the best. Why can't you deal with that? Why do you have to be a dick?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

It would always be great to have the best player in football, but sometimes we just have to work with what we have, and discuss which one of the guys is the best or may be the best. Why can't you deal with that? Why do you have to be a dick?

why do you have to be such a dunce.....I said nothing about having the best player....I said it would be nice to have a running back that wasn't mediocre for the BSC......I said it would be nice to have a running back that was considered among the top tier in FCS......why do I have to settle for mediocrity....why do you have to be a dick.....

I wonder if some people got used to bashing JN early in his career and now are unable to see him for what he is. A good FCS running back. Is he Adrian Peterson (GSU)? No but few are. Do I hope we find a back like that? Sure, but give JN credit for squeaking through some of the puny holes our o-line opened and he was just flat out the best back we had last year and likely will be again this year. He is tough as heck and gives the team all he can. Be hopeful we will get the back we all dream of but be damn thankful for JN as it could be much worse.

AZGrizFan said:
grizaremoregooder said:
John Nguyen has no break away speed whatsoever and is tiny. We haven't had a RB with breakaway speed since I can't remember when. Please tell me the last RB we had that was going to outrun opposing cornerbacks?
He gets run over trying to block linebackers in pass protection and does not break tackles because of his size. He is the best pass blocking RB on our roster-BAR NONE. Brady would be dead right now if not for Nguyen's blocking. You should go back and watch some of his runs again if you don't think he breaks tackles. Sure, he might not break tackles when there's three guys meeting him 2 yards behind the LOS, but he broke a TON of tackles last year.
He is an absolute liability returning punts. He lets the ball hit the ground most of the time or flat out muffs the catch too many times to be on the field. I don't believe he had a SINGLE muff last year. And many times, letting it hit the ground is due to a crappy punter. Would you rather he race up and try to catch it on a dead run? Or catch it on a bounce? Did you see what happened to Patrick Peterson of the Cardinals when he tried that?
He is a very shifty runner who can make people miss in space and he is a damn tough kid with the heart of a lion which is why he is on the field. Well, you got one ting right.

Of all the problems with the Griz offense last year, John Nguyen was NOT one of them.
Great post AZ!!

cmtgrizzly said:
I wonder if some people got used to bashing JN early in his career and now are unable to see him for what he is. A good FCS running back. Is he Adrian Peterson (GSU)? No but few are. Do I hope we find a back like that? Sure, but give JN credit for squeaking through some of the puny holes our o-line opened and he was just flat out the best back we had last year and likely will be again this year. He is tough as heck and gives the team all he can. Be hopeful we will get the back we all dream of but be damn thankful for JN as it could be much worse.

JN isn't even a good running back in the BSC let alone FCS.....PR....I changed my tune.....they don't need a top tier FCS back.....I would be happy with a top level BSC back.....

cmtgrizzly said:
How is a good BSC back different than a good FCS back? Last I checked the BSC was part of the FCS.

Just being part doesn't mean you have some of the best.....and UM was only mediocre for the BSC......

Back