• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: RB

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
If UM needed to upgrade the talent at rb, why didn't they bring in a back or two on full scholarship, or get a transfer?
They did. Didn't they? I never understand your logic
You have written 1000s of lines recently, citing all kinds of goofy stats, apparently trying to argue that UM's run defense was not as bad as some people thought--even tho the coach came out and directly disagreed with you by saying they "struggled" against the run.
Let's apply your above logic to a different position: "[because] UM needed to upgrade the talent at [DL], they brought in a [DL] or two on full scholarship, or got a transfer." With this logic, and the coach's direct comments on the subject, are you now willing to admit you were wrong, and the griz did actually struggle against the run? (I realize you admitting you are wrong is an absolute impossibility, but you painted yourself into a corner here)

Tell us more about the top running backs that UM recruited this year.

UM struggled against the run at times, but most of the time were good or very good against the run. The stats that various posters presented back that up (held most teams to below their averages in total yardage and yards per carry). UM's stat for yards per carry given up compared favorably to playoff teams, even though UM played against more of the top running teams than any other FCS team. I believe that UM's stat was better than 14 of the other playoff teams, but perhaps am not remembering right. UM had a good d-line last fall, especially when healthy. UM graduated 3 d-line starters including the FCS defensive player of the year. Of course, due to 3 graduating seniors and lack of depth, UM needed to bring in d-lineman. No surprise there.
This response is almost exactly what I expected, at least the BS stat stuff. Funny you can't admit what the COACH has been quoted as saying, and most of us saw with our own eyes (no need to look at stats).

Your angle re the RB recruit is new, I guess. It looks like you tried to change your approach there a bit. Do you not believe Rey Green is one of our RB recruits this year?

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
If UM needed to upgrade the talent at rb, why didn't they bring in a back or two on full scholarship, or get a transfer?
You have written 1000s of lines recently, citing all kinds of goofy stats, apparently trying to argue that UM's run defense was not as bad as some people thought--even tho the coach came out and directly disagreed with you by saying they "struggled" against the run.
Let's apply your above logic to a different position: "[because] UM needed to upgrade the talent at [DL], they brought in a [DL] or two on full scholarship, or got a transfer." With this logic, and the coach's direct comments on the subject, are you now willing to admit you were wrong, and the griz did actually struggle against the run? (I realize you admitting you are wrong is an absolute impossibility, but you painted yourself into a corner here)

Tell us more about the top running backs that UM recruited this year.

UM struggled against the run at times, but most of the time were good or very good against the run. The stats that various posters presented back that up (held most teams to below their averages in total yardage and yards per carry). UM's stat for yards per carry given up compared favorably to playoff teams, even though UM played against more of the top running teams than any other FCS team. I believe that UM's stat was better than 14 of the other playoff teams, but perhaps am not remembering right. UM had a good d-line last fall, especially when healthy. UM graduated 3 d-line starters including the FCS defensive player of the year. Of course, due to 3 graduating seniors and lack of depth, UM needed to bring in d-lineman. No surprise there.
This response is almost exactly what I expected, at least the BS stat stuff. Funny you can't admit what the COACH has been quoted as saying, and most of us saw with our own eyes (no need to look at stats).

Your angle re the RB recruit is new, I guess. It looks like you tried to change your approach there a bit. Do you not believe Rey Green is one of our RB recruits this year?

No, I did not change my tune. Do you believe Green is on a full scholarship or anywhere close to it? Is there any video on him for 2015? If so, please link and let's look. Look at the schools that were recruiting him in the end. Look at his weight/size in his junior year. Look at the weight listed on the recruit list. I think he has terrific potential, but you should probably do some more investigation.

Feel free to provide links to articles showing that the coach said UM "struggled" against the run this season. I'm not talking about several games, like the PSU game, where it was worse than struggling. After you provide the links and quotes, I will evaluate. Thx.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
A coach saying he needs to upgrade his DL in response to recruiting after a season has ended doesn't mean he thinks the previous DL was bad. Holmes, Wilson and Crittenden, who were three of the top four in DL tackles, are gone. So, considering what we have after those three left, he feels we do need an upgrade. That's the productive side of that quote. The negative side of it is that he doesn't sound like he has much faith in the returning DL. I personally think Kidder, Bradley and Johnson are good. I also like Schye and Peevey. Not sure where Stitt stands on those five, but I have to think he likes Kidder and Johnson. However his quotes have me wondering.

PlayerRep said:
No, I did not change my tune. Do you believe Green is on a full scholarship or anywhere close to it? Is there any video on him for 2015? If so, please link and let's look. Look at the schools that were recruiting him in the end. Look at his weight/size in his junior year. Look at the weight listed on the recruit list. I think he has terrific potential, but you should probably do some more investigation.

Feel free to provide links to articles showing that the coach said UM "struggled" against the run this season. I'm not talking about several games, like the PSU game, where it was worse than struggling. After you provide the links and quotes, I will evaluate. Thx.

Why are you dissing a player? That 1st para has statements re our new RB that are a diss, close to a diss, or not exactly a compliment.

You obviously know the "struggled" comment was made by Coach Stitt in the newspaper just last week as you and I had this exact same exchange in another thread, and the link was there. Nice try tho.

getgrizzy said:
A coach saying he needs to upgrade his DL in response to recruiting after a season has ended doesn't mean he thinks the previous DL was bad.
I did not say the previous DL was bad, at least, I did not mean to, and if you got that impression, that was not my intent. Sorry. All I am saying is that I believed the griz struggled against the run and I got into a huge argument with PR and his daughter about this issue just prior to when UNDSU ran over us. And later, the coach seemed to agree with me when he stated as such in the paper last week. I don't expect PR to (ever) admit he was wrong. But the coach seems to think he was, and that's good enuf for me. When I saw PR's "logic" about recruiting a RB, I found it ironic.

garizzalies said:
getgrizzy said:
A coach saying he needs to upgrade his DL in response to recruiting after a season has ended doesn't mean he thinks the previous DL was bad.
I did not say the previous DL was bad, at least, I did not mean to, and if you got that impression, that was not my intent. Sorry. All I am saying is that I believed the griz struggled against the run and I got into a huge argument with PR and his daughter about this issue just prior to when UNDSU ran over us. And later, the coach seemed to agree with me when he stated as such in the paper last week. I don't expect PR to (ever) admit he was wrong. But the coach seems to think he was, and that's good enuf for me. When I saw PR's "logic" about recruiting a RB, I found it ironic.
Well you said the defense struggled against the run, then you used a quote by Stitt to support your statement. Except the quote didn't say we struggled against the run, it said he wants to upgrade the DL. It's safe to assume he's talking about the 2016 DL and therefore was looking for players to upgrade 2016, not 2015. So using his quote to support what you said is wrong.

If Stitt was talking about the 2015 DL that would be odd, wouldn't it? Considering we had the Holmes, Kidder, Crittenden and Wilson manning the line that would be a strange and therefore you must assume he's talking about 2016. If so, his comment has nothing at all to do with what you perceive as us struggling to stop the run.

I think Nguyen is tough as nails, and is quick enough to make a bullet miss.

I think with (fingers crossed) improved OL play, we will see Peter find the room he needs to do his thing and look great.

From his tv interviews, he looks like a bright and fun guy. :thumb:

Moregooder....Willie Jones was Avery good all around athlete from Livingston. Football, basketball, tennis. Was an attorney in Hardin and Billings.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
THIS is the quote you were using to support your statement. IT doesn't support your statement.

garizzalies said:
getgrizzy said:
...the quote didn't say we struggled against the run...

"We needed some help there," Stitt said. "We struggled against the run and we struggle with depth with the inside guys.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73234&p=1138824#p1138824
The run D was second in the BSC at 3.9 per carry and we played NDSU ... TWICE!!! It's ludicrous for Stitt say that. Obvious coach speak. Where's the link and what's the date of story? I bet he said that AFTER Gregorak left.

The myth that Nguyen fumbles a lot is as impossible to kill as the fiction that Obama is a Muslim. The sad thing is, he will eventually lose a fumble or muff a fair catch, then we'll hear another chorus of "There he goes again, yada yada yada." Yes, we all wish he had a better top speed and maybe more size, but until someone better shows up, we're lucky to have him. AZ and BW have it 100% right.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:

Rey Green from WA was brought in as a preferred walk on. All the RB scholly's were offered up to the WR position. That is fact. Straight outta the UM camp. Did they need additional talent despite having 7 backs already? Surely, did they see the need? Apparently not. Personally I find it disappointing, but I'm no coach. Considering what we have at the position you'd think that we'd bring in some play makers and just let them compete keeping the best at the position and moving the others where they might be able to contribute finishing up the year on scholarship with them being xferred to the guys deserving the following season.

Back