• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: RB

l
grizindabox said:
cmtgrizzly said:
I wonder if some people got used to bashing JN early in his career and now are unable to see him for what he is. A good FCS running back. Is he Adrian Peterson (GSU)? No but few are. Do I hope we find a back like that? Sure, but give JN credit for squeaking through some of the puny holes our o-line opened and he was just flat out the best back we had last year and likely will be again this year. He is tough as heck and gives the team all he can. Be hopeful we will get the back we all dream of but be damn thankful for JN as it could be much worse.

JN isn't even a good running back in the BSC let alone FCS.....PR....I changed my tune.....they don't need a top tier FCS back.....I would be happy with a top level BSC back.....

So, 6th in the conference in rushing, on a semi passing team, zero fumbles, and a terrific pass blocker, isn't a good Big Sky back? Okay, you are another poster who doesn't understand the game. Please stop posting about football. Get back to picking at other posters. You are better suited to be a minor irritant--not a football poster.

PlayerRep said:
l
grizindabox said:
cmtgrizzly said:
I wonder if some people got used to bashing JN early in his career and now are unable to see him for what he is. A good FCS running back. Is he Adrian Peterson (GSU)? No but few are. Do I hope we find a back like that? Sure, but give JN credit for squeaking through some of the puny holes our o-line opened and he was just flat out the best back we had last year and likely will be again this year. He is tough as heck and gives the team all he can. Be hopeful we will get the back we all dream of but be damn thankful for JN as it could be much worse.

JN isn't even a good running back in the BSC let alone FCS.....PR....I changed my tune.....they don't need a top tier FCS back.....I would be happy with a top level BSC back.....

So, 6th in the conference in rushing, on a semi passing team, zero fumbles, and a terrific pass blocker, isn't a good Big Sky back? Okay, you are another poster who doesn't understand the game. Please stop posting about football. Get back to picking at other posters. You are better suited to be a minor irritant--not a football poster.

Seems to me that 6th in a 13 team league is average.....or mediocre if you will....fyi....for your reference to a semi passing team...UM had the 3rd most rushing attempts in the BSC.....it also seems that BSC coaches think that there were at minimum 6 better backs when choosing all-conference......

AZGrizFan said:
grizaremoregooder said:
John Nguyen has no break away speed whatsoever and is tiny. We haven't had a RB with breakaway speed since I can't remember when. Please tell me the last RB we had that was going to outrun opposing cornerbacks?
He gets run over trying to block linebackers in pass protection and does not break tackles because of his size. He is the best pass blocking RB on our roster-BAR NONE. Brady would be dead right now if not for Nguyen's blocking. You should go back and watch some of his runs again if you don't think he breaks tackles. Sure, he might not break tackles when there's three guys meeting him 2 yards behind the LOS, but he broke a TON of tackles last year.
He is an absolute liability returning punts. He lets the ball hit the ground most of the time or flat out muffs the catch too many times to be on the field. I don't believe he had a SINGLE muff last year. And many times, letting it hit the ground is due to a crappy punter. Would you rather he race up and try to catch it on a dead run? Or catch it on a bounce? Did you see what happened to Patrick Peterson of the Cardinals when he tried that?
He is a very shifty runner who can make people miss in space and he is a damn tough kid with the heart of a lion which is why he is on the field. Well, you got one ting right.

Of all the problems with the Griz offense last year, John Nguyen was NOT one of them.
Nate Sanders, Yohance Humphrey, Lex Hilliard, Thomas Brooks Fletcher, Justin Green, Chase Reynolds, Jordan Canada, and Travon Van were all better than John Nguyen in my opinion. I don't see a back on the roster as talented as this bunch and that is a problem for the Montana Grizzlies. If you are as small as John Nguyen you had better be darn fast, which he ain't. Go watch the NDSU game in Fargo again and tell me how well he blocked the blitz. I guess we will have to disagree on his punt shagging skills and ability to hold on to the football. John Nguyen was the best option at running back last season but that does not make him a great running back. I loved the kids toughness and he was fun to watch when he got going but the Griz need to get better at the running back position if they are going to get where they want to be. This is a running back discussion and your comments are most welcome Azgriz. I really think the Grizzlies need to get better at this position.

grizaremoregooder said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizaremoregooder said:
John Nguyen has no break away speed whatsoever and is tiny. We haven't had a RB with breakaway speed since I can't remember when. Please tell me the last RB we had that was going to outrun opposing cornerbacks?
He gets run over trying to block linebackers in pass protection and does not break tackles because of his size. He is the best pass blocking RB on our roster-BAR NONE. Brady would be dead right now if not for Nguyen's blocking. You should go back and watch some of his runs again if you don't think he breaks tackles. Sure, he might not break tackles when there's three guys meeting him 2 yards behind the LOS, but he broke a TON of tackles last year.
He is an absolute liability returning punts. He lets the ball hit the ground most of the time or flat out muffs the catch too many times to be on the field. I don't believe he had a SINGLE muff last year. And many times, letting it hit the ground is due to a crappy punter. Would you rather he race up and try to catch it on a dead run? Or catch it on a bounce? Did you see what happened to Patrick Peterson of the Cardinals when he tried that?
He is a very shifty runner who can make people miss in space and he is a damn tough kid with the heart of a lion which is why he is on the field. Well, you got one ting right.

Of all the problems with the Griz offense last year, John Nguyen was NOT one of them.
Nate Sanders, Yohance Humphrey, Lex Hilliard, Thomas Brooks Fletcher, Justin Green, Chase Reynolds, Jordan Canada, and Travon Van were all better than John Nguyen in my opinion. I don't see a back on the roster as talented as this bunch and that is a problem for the Montana Grizzlies. If you are as small as John Nguyen you had better be darn fast, which he ain't. Go watch the NDSU game in Fargo again and tell me how well he blocked the blitz. I guess we will have to disagree on his punt shagging skills and ability to hold on to the football. John Nguyen was the best option at running back last season but that does not make him a great running back. I loved the kids toughness and he was fun to watch when he got going but the Griz need to get better at the running back position if they are going to get where they want to be. This is a running back discussion and your comments are most welcome Azgriz. I really think the Grizzlies need to get better at this position.

beginning your argument with Nate Sanders did not make it a strong start.....

grizaremoregooder said:

I agree with your list (although I must admit I don't know who Nate Sanders is/was), but come ON. Three of those guys are/were in the NFL, two are FBS dropdowns. You've picked out the 8 best backs in the last 25 years and surprisingly John Nguyen isn't on the list? Yeah, I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

And regarding the NDSU game, JN is only one guy. He can't block 3 D-linemen who all get into the backfield at the same time--play after play. One fumble in two years. ONE. How can there possibly be a disagreement with his ability to hold onto the football?

And the Griz need to get better at a LOT of positions if they are going to get where they (and we) want them to be. Honestly, in 2016 RB should be VERY low on anybody's list of concerns.

Small point. Nguyen had 0 lost fumbles in the past 2 years. Had 1 fumble, which UM didn't lose, in each of the past 2 years.

No one is even suggesting that he's a great back, or one of the best UM backs of all time--so what's the point of some of you saying stuff like that?

If a majority of Griz fans on this board are butt-hurt that Nyguen starts, the butthurt is gonna continue. He'll be the starter next season. Yes, Calhoun will get plenty of touches but JN will be the starter and likely a team captain.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
l
grizindabox said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Seems to me that 6th in a 13 team league is average.....or mediocre if you will....fyi....for your reference to a semi passing team...UM had the 3rd most rushing attempts in the BSC.....it also seems that BSC coaches think that there were at minimum 6 better backs when choosing all-conference......

It doesn't surprise me that a team (UM) who played 2 more games that most of the rest of the conference teams would have more rushing attempts. On a per game basis, 5 teams had more rushing attempts and UM was tied with MSU. So UM was right in the middle.

Using your flawed stat analysis, UM had the most passing attempts and 2d most passing yardage in the conference.

A back doesn't have to be all-conference to be good. Every year UM has good players who are not all conference. Personally, I think virtually every player who starts for UM is a good player by definition.

havgrizfan said:
If a majority of Griz fans on this board are butt-hurt that Nyguen starts, the butthurt is gonna continue. He'll be the starter next season. Yes, Calhoun will get plenty of touches but JN will be the starter and likely a team captain.

2 Things:

1. I doubt a majority of Griz fans are butt-hurt about JN starting. I do understand you prefaced your post by saying a majority of fans "on this board" but, we all know the majority of Griz fans do not visit or post here. The majority certainly don't spend their time here bashing Griz players. A few do, and we all know who they are. They are not the majority. A vocal minority is what they are.

2. He should start next year. He will be a senior with another season under his belt...and his cumulative experience alone will generate results. To whom much is given, much is expected, and we should expect a great season from him. I think he will deliver. He will and should split time with Calhoun and others who are ready.

JN is not a great back, he is a good back. When he is given the ball over 20 times a game and expected to gain big yards behind an O-Line who was only satisfactory, it is the issue of the play caller.
I am a advocate for Calhoun, I think he will really stand out this year. However, if our O-Line is only satisfactory, he too will not shine.
JN gives 100% all the time! He will continue this again this year and I hope our O-Line can do what they are suppose to do so he can shine his senior year...He will start as the number one back, but I believe Mr. Calhoun will take over that role as the season progresses. JN will get his 20+ carries a game...

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
l
grizindabox said:

It doesn't surprise me that a team (UM) who played 2 more games that most of the rest of the conference teams would have more rushing attempts. On a per game basis, 5 teams had more rushing attempts and UM was tied with MSU. So UM was right in the middle.

Using your flawed stat analysis, UM had the most passing attempts and 2d most passing yardage in the conference.

A back doesn't have to be all-conference to be good. Every year UM has good players who are not all conference. Personally, I think virtually every player who starts for UM is a good player by definition.

nothing flawed about the stat analysis.....your implication was that JN would have been more productive if he were not in a semi-passing offense.....truth is....he played in an offense that ran the ball often....top half of the BSC.....pretty funny coming from the king of stat manipulation to meet his narrative.....

Ridiculous.

John Nguyen is great player.

He does a lot of things the average fan here can't see, but are critical skills in this offense.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
l

nothing flawed about the stat analysis.....your implication was that JN would have been more productive if he were not in a semi-passing offense.....truth is....he played in an offense that ran the ball often....top half of the BSC.....pretty funny coming from the king of stat manipulation to meet his narrative.....

Sorry, but using season total rush stats when UM played 2 more games than most teams in the conference is flawed. You tried to argue with season total rush stats that UM a big/top rushing team, which it was not. Yes, UM was middle of the conference in rushes per game, which is what I said. And UM was one of the top passing teams in the conference, and much more of a passing team than a rushing team. Actually, what I said was that Nguyen did just fine on a semi-passing team. I stand by that statement.

Weird......look at the top 10 rushers on the BSC site...

RUSHING Cl G Att. Yards Avg. TD Long Avg/G
1. John Santiago-UND FR 11 223 1459 6.5 16 81 132.6
2. Chris Brown-CP SR 10 203 1084 5.3 13 60 108.4
3. Casey Jahn-NAU SR 10 187 1035 5.5 7 56 103.5
4. David Jones-PSU SR 12 180 1127 6.3 9 79 93.9
5. Trae Riek-UNCO 9 137 796 5.8 7 64 88.4
6. Joe Protheroe-CP SO 9 169 779 4.6 6 36 86.6
7. Xavier Finney-ISU SR 11 200 891 4.5 4 35 81.0
8. Chad Newell-MSU JR 11 154 831 5.4 12 40 75.5
9. Jordan Robinson-SAC JR 11 172 808 4.7 4 69 73.5
10. Jabari Wilson-EWU JR 9 137 661 4.8 9 62 73.4

Your list is based on ypg which is heavily influenced by offensive scheme i.e. attempts per game. John shared duties more than some and we didnt run as much as others. Nguyen is on the list if it is done by ypa which seems a better metric when comparing running backs. He doesnt make it by much but does make it. Maybe with improvement in the line this next year he will be closer to the top.

PlayerRep said:
Small point. Nguyen had 0 lost fumbles in the past 2 years. Had 1 fumble, which UM didn't lose, in each of the past 2 years.

No one is even suggesting that he's a great back, or one of the best UM backs of all time--so what's the point of some of you saying stuff like that?
This is a running back thread and he's saying we need to get better at rb. I'm not sure what the debate is. No fumbles aside, Nguyen is a very average running back. The idea is not to be average. Resist the urge to argue that obvious point.

You're right on fumbles, he's right on the need to upgrade our talent at that position, which may have been done this and last year, we shall see. End of story

casewinter13 said:
PlayerRep said:

This is a running back thread and he's saying we need to get better at rb. I'm not sure what the debate is. No fumbles aside, Nguyen is a very average running back. The idea is not to be average. Resist the urge to argue that obvious point.

You're right on fumbles, he's right on the need to upgrade our talent at that position, which may have been done this and last year, we shall see. End of story

Sorry, you haven't been paying attention. You're missing what has been discussed. If UM needed to upgrade the talent at rb, why didn't they bring in a back or two on full scholarship, or get a transfer?

Back