• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: RB

grizindabox said:
Weird......look at the top 10 rushers on the BSC site...

RUSHING Cl G Att. Yards Avg. TD Long Avg/G
1. John Santiago-UND FR 11 223 1459 6.5 16 81 132.6
2. Chris Brown-CP SR 10 203 1084 5.3 13 60 108.4
3. Casey Jahn-NAU SR 10 187 1035 5.5 7 56 103.5
4. David Jones-PSU SR 12 180 1127 6.3 9 79 93.9
5. Trae Riek-UNCO 9 137 796 5.8 7 64 88.4
6. Joe Protheroe-CP SO 9 169 779 4.6 6 36 86.6
7. Xavier Finney-ISU SR 11 200 891 4.5 4 35 81.0
8. Chad Newell-MSU JR 11 154 831 5.4 12 40 75.5
9. Jordan Robinson-SAC JR 11 172 808 4.7 4 69 73.5
10. Jabari Wilson-EWU JR 9 137 661 4.8 9 62 73.4

All but 1 of those backs had more carries per game, than Nguyen's 14 per game. Newell also had 14 per game. Does it surprise you that a back with fewer carries, playing in a semi-passing offense and behind what some believe was a weak or mediocre offensive line, wouldn't have big yardage for the season?

Using your flawed stat methodology, Nguyen ranked 6th in total rushing yards in the conference. How many of those backs didn't lose a fumble? How many of them were better pass blockers? How many of them caught more passes? How many were shiftier?

PlayerRep said:
casewinter13 said:
PlayerRep said:
Small point. Nguyen had 0 lost fumbles in the past 2 years. Had 1 fumble, which UM didn't lose, in each of the past 2 years.

No one is even suggesting that he's a great back, or one of the best UM backs of all time--so what's the point of some of you saying stuff like that?
This is a running back thread and he's saying we need to get better at rb. I'm not sure what the debate is. No fumbles aside, Nguyen is a very average running back. The idea is not to be average. Resist the urge to argue that obvious point.

You're right on fumbles, he's right on the need to upgrade our talent at that position, which may have been done this and last year, we shall see. End of story

Sorry, you haven't been paying attention. You're missing what has been discussed. If UM needed to upgrade the talent at rb, why didn't they bring in a back or two on full scholarship, or get a transfer?
I'm curious how the hell you'd know if I was paying attention. I could just be stupid for all you know. And no, I'm not missing the point. Box point was that we needed to upgrade talent at rb position.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, because we did sign two (potentially) stud running backs to full scholarships in back to back years, 15-16', which I clearly referenced at the end of my post.

PR.....I knew at the beginning of this discussion what your feelings are about JN.....we disagree.....you are happy with an average at best BSC running back.....I would like to see an upgrade at the position.....pretty much puts that discussion to rest....

200.gif

AZGrizFan said:
grizaremoregooder said:
Nate Sanders, Yohance Humphrey, Lex Hilliard, Thomas Brooks Fletcher, Justin Green, Chase Reynolds, Jordan Canada, and Travon Van were all better than John Nguyen in my opinion. I don't see a back on the roster as talented as this bunch and that is a problem for the Montana Grizzlies. If you are as small as John Nguyen you had better be darn fast, which he ain't. Go watch the NDSU game in Fargo again and tell me how well he blocked the blitz. I guess we will have to disagree on his punt shagging skills and ability to hold on to the football. John Nguyen was the best option at running back last season but that does not make him a great running back. I loved the kids toughness and he was fun to watch when he got going but the Griz need to get better at the running back position if they are going to get where they want to be. This is a running back discussion and your comments are most welcome Azgriz. I really think the Grizzlies need to get better at this position.

I agree with your list (although I must admit I don't know who Nate Sanders is/was), but come ON. Three of those guys are/were in the NFL, two are FBS dropdowns. You've picked out the 8 best backs in the last 25 years and surprisingly John Nguyen isn't on the list? Yeah, I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

And regarding the NDSU game, JN is only one guy. He can't block 3 D-linemen who all get into the backfield at the same time--play after play. One fumble in two years. ONE. How can there possibly be a disagreement with his ability to hold onto the football?

And the Griz need to get better at a LOT of positions if they are going to get where they (and we) want them to be. Honestly, in 2016 RB should be VERY low on anybody's list of concerns.
The Grizzlies had All-American talent at running back from about 2000 to 2010. The backs were: Yo Humphrey, Justin Green, Lex Hilliard (was out in 2006), and Chase Reynolds. That's what they need to get back to man! John Nguyen will be fine next year and it would be disaster if he were to go down. I'll keep an open mind about his ability to hold on to the rock. :thumb: By the way, the best running back to ever play at UM was named Willie Jones...back me up you old farts!

casewinter13 said:
PlayerRep said:
casewinter13 said:
PlayerRep said:
Small point. Nguyen had 0 lost fumbles in the past 2 years. Had 1 fumble, which UM didn't lose, in each of the past 2 years.

No one is even suggesting that he's a great back, or one of the best UM backs of all time--so what's the point of some of you saying stuff like that?
This is a running back thread and he's saying we need to get better at rb. I'm not sure what the debate is. No fumbles aside, Nguyen is a very average running back. The idea is not to be average. Resist the urge to argue that obvious point.

You're right on fumbles, he's right on the need to upgrade our talent at that position, which may have been done this and last year, we shall see. End of story

Sorry, you haven't been paying attention. You're missing what has been discussed. If UM needed to upgrade the talent at rb, why didn't they bring in a back or two on full scholarship, or get a transfer?
I'm curious how the hell you'd know if I was paying attention. I could just be stupid for all you know. And no, I'm not missing the point. Box point was that we needed to upgrade talent at rb position.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, because we did sign two (potentially) stud running backs to full scholarships in back to back years, 15-16', which I clearly referenced at the end of my post.

No, Box's point started with dissing Nguyen a bit. Later, he said he'd like to upgrade talent. Jeez, who wouldn't want an NFL caliber back, maybe 2 of them? Since we don't have one and didn't recruit one, what good does it do for him to say he's wants a great back? We have Nguyen and Calhoun.

grizaremoregooder said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizaremoregooder said:
Nate Sanders, Yohance Humphrey, Lex Hilliard, Thomas Brooks Fletcher, Justin Green, Chase Reynolds, Jordan Canada, and Travon Van were all better than John Nguyen in my opinion. I don't see a back on the roster as talented as this bunch and that is a problem for the Montana Grizzlies. If you are as small as John Nguyen you had better be darn fast, which he ain't. Go watch the NDSU game in Fargo again and tell me how well he blocked the blitz. I guess we will have to disagree on his punt shagging skills and ability to hold on to the football. John Nguyen was the best option at running back last season but that does not make him a great running back. I loved the kids toughness and he was fun to watch when he got going but the Griz need to get better at the running back position if they are going to get where they want to be. This is a running back discussion and your comments are most welcome Azgriz. I really think the Grizzlies need to get better at this position.

I agree with your list (although I must admit I don't know who Nate Sanders is/was), but come ON. Three of those guys are/were in the NFL, two are FBS dropdowns. You've picked out the 8 best backs in the last 25 years and surprisingly John Nguyen isn't on the list? Yeah, I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

And regarding the NDSU game, JN is only one guy. He can't block 3 D-linemen who all get into the backfield at the same time--play after play. One fumble in two years. ONE. How can there possibly be a disagreement with his ability to hold onto the football?

And the Griz need to get better at a LOT of positions if they are going to get where they (and we) want them to be. Honestly, in 2016 RB should be VERY low on anybody's list of concerns.
The Grizzlies had All-American talent at running back from about 2000 to 2010. The backs were: Yo Humphrey, Justin Green, Lex Hilliard (was out in 2006), and Chase Reynolds. That's what they need to get back to man! John Nguyen will be fine next year and it would be disaster if he were to go down. I'll keep an open mind about his ability to hold on to the rock. :thumb: By the way, the best running back to ever play at UM was named Willie Jones...back me up you old farts!

Hey, I agree we need to get back to that. But relatively speaking, RB isn't nearly as big a concern as some other positions/unknowns next year.

grizindabox said:
PR.....I knew at the beginning of this discussion what your feelings are about JN.....we disagree.....you are happy with an average at best BSC running back.....I would like to see an upgrade at the position.....pretty much puts that discussion to rest....

200.gif

I didn't say I was happy with anything. I merely posted the official UM fumble stats, and said nothing else. However, Nguyen is a pretty good back, and it looks like he and Calhoun are our top backs. An average back in the Big Sky is a pretty good or even good back, by definition. I guess it makes you feel better to diss players. I'm not that kind of person.

PlayerRep said:
casewinter13 said:
PlayerRep said:
casewinter13 said:

No, Box's point started with dissing Nguyen a bit. Later, he said he'd like to upgrade talent. Jeez, who wouldn't want an NFL caliber back, maybe 2 of them? Since we don't have one and didn't recruit one, what good does it do for him to say he's wants a great back? We have Nguyen and Calhoun.
No, dissing him was not his point, it was a dig meant to illustrate his point, which was that we need to upgrade talent at rb.

And you keep saying that as if you know for a fact that neither Calhoun nor Green will be among the better fcs backs. We don't know that yet.

That's some serious hyperbole, since he never said he required an nfl back. Feels silly I have to point this out, but there's a Grand Canyon sized gap between Nguyen and an nfl back. I'm quite sure most would be content with someone in between the two. This is a message board, I don't find it that out of line to state ones wish list in players we'd like to see recruited.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

200.gif

I didn't say I was happy with anything. I merely posted the official UM fumble stats, and said nothing else. However, Nguyen is a pretty good back, and it looks like he and Calhoun are our top backs. An average back in the Big Sky is a pretty good or even good back, by definition. I guess it makes you feel better to diss players. I'm not that kind of person.

No diss....just the facts.....

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

200.gif

Compared to what?

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

200.gif

Actually, considerable diss (see below quotes from you in this thread on Nguyen), and no facts. In fact, some stats that were completely misleading, i.e. using season stats for team rushing (not individual) when UM had played 2 more games than most teams, and trying to compare his rushing stats to others in the conference when he carried only 14 times per game (and other other back on the leading-rusher list has carried less than him).

"all very underwhelming" - That statement is a diss.

"I said it would be nice to have a running back that wasn't mediocre for the BSC." - That statement is a diss.

"JN isn't even a good running back in the BSC" - That statement is close to a diss.

"instead of a middle tier BSC running back that all everyone wants to do is compare him Calhoun....like that is a good thing...." Not exactly a compliment.

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

200.gif

Compared to what?

Compared to all backs in the conference and in FCS. What do you want to compare to? FBS? NFL?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

200.gif

Actually, considerable diss (see below quotes from you in this thread on Nguyen), and no facts. In fact, some stats that were completely misleading, i.e. using season stats for team rushing (not individual) when UM had played 2 more games than most teams, and trying to compare his rushing stats to others in the conference when he carried only 14 times per game (and other other back on the leading-rusher list has carried less than him).

"all very underwhelming" - That statement is a diss.

"I said it would be nice to have a running back that wasn't mediocre for the BSC." - That statement is a diss.

"JN isn't even a good running back in the BSC" - That statement is close to a diss.

"instead of a middle tier BSC running back that all everyone wants to do is compare him Calhoun....like that is a good thing...." Not exactly a compliment.

all based on his middle of the road stats compared to other backs.......and I wouldn't expect an objective point of view from you....since you are a fanboi......how are them hot dogs coming along....

PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

200.gif

Compared to what?

Compared to all backs in the conference and in FCS. What do you want to compare to? FBS? NFL?

what the hell are you comparing......hand size....

PlayerRep said:
No I don't, I just was asking. Unbunch your panties PR.

And for the record I'm not sure I agree, in a conference that has forgotten how to play defense over the last 4 years I think it's a great place for average RBs to look great.

PlayerRep said:
If UM needed to upgrade the talent at rb, why didn't they bring in a back or two on full scholarship, or get a transfer?
They did. Didn't they? I never understand your logic
You have written 1000s of lines recently, citing all kinds of goofy stats, apparently trying to argue that UM's run defense was not as bad as some people thought--even tho the coach came out and directly disagreed with you by saying they "struggled" against the run.
Let's apply your above logic to a different position: "[because] UM needed to upgrade the talent at [DL], they brought in a [DL] or two on full scholarship, or got a transfer." With this logic, and the coach's direct comments on the subject, are you now willing to admit you were wrong, and the griz did actually struggle against the run? (I realize you admitting you are wrong is an absolute impossibility, but you painted yourself into a corner here)

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
If UM needed to upgrade the talent at rb, why didn't they bring in a back or two on full scholarship, or get a transfer?
They did. Didn't they? I never understand your logic
You have written 1000s of lines recently, citing all kinds of goofy stats, apparently trying to argue that UM's run defense was not as bad as some people thought--even tho the coach came out and directly disagreed with you by saying they "struggled" against the run.
Let's apply your above logic to a different position: "[because] UM needed to upgrade the talent at [DL], they brought in a [DL] or two on full scholarship, or got a transfer." With this logic, and the coach's direct comments on the subject, are you now willing to admit you were wrong, and the griz did actually struggle against the run? (I realize you admitting you are wrong is an absolute impossibility, but you painted yourself into a corner here)

Tell us more about the top running backs that UM recruited this year.

UM struggled against the run at times, but most of the time were good or very good against the run. The stats that various posters presented back that up (held most teams to below their averages in total yardage and yards per carry). UM's stat for yards per carry given up compared favorably to playoff teams, even though UM played against more of the top running teams than any other FCS team. I believe that UM's stat was better than 14 of the other playoff teams, but perhaps am not remembering right. UM had a good d-line last fall, especially when healthy. UM graduated 3 d-line starters including the FCS defensive player of the year. Of course, due to 3 graduating seniors and lack of depth, UM needed to bring in d-lineman. No surprise there.

PlayerRep said:
casewinter13 said:
PlayerRep said:

I'm not sure the final touches have been made.

Back