• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: A mixed bag of results

PhxGriz said:
Fire Gregorak.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, the defense showed good improvement and played pretty well, esp considering who we lost to graduation last season.

BWahlberg said:
PhxGriz said:
Fire Gregorak.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, the defense showed good improvement and played pretty well, esp considering who we lost to graduation last season.

Brint:

The D got gashed for 200 plus yards on the ground. Are you saying that because Wyo didn't throw for 400 yards there was improvement? Explain....

CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
PhxGriz said:
Fire Gregorak.

Brint:

The D got gashed for 200 plus yards on the ground. Are you saying that because Wyo didn't throw for 400 yards there was improvement? Explain....

This wasn't UC Davis we were playing but an FBS team with an experienced line and two very good running backs in a system that is designed to run the ball a whole lot.

Griz held Wyo to 250 total yards, went +2 in turnovers, had 5 sacks.

This was probably one of the faster, more experienced, and talented rushing groups we'll see all year.

Posted this in the game thread but since the post game discussion is in here, I'll post it here too.

I expected a loss today but when seeing that we actually had a chance in this game it was pretty frustrating to see some of the same boneheaded coaching decisions that have come to define this coaching staff. Lots to work on...

BWahlberg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
PhxGriz said:
Fire Gregorak.

Brint:

This wasn't UC Davis we were playing but an FBS team with an experienced line and two very good running backs in a system that is designed to run the ball a whole lot.

This was probably one of the faster, more experienced, and talented rushing groups we'll see all year.

This wasn't Iowa St. like ND St. dominated today. Wyoming is not a good team. It is no where near Arkansas St. that the Bobcats played today. I would be concerned if I were you guys.

BWahlberg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
PhxGriz said:
Fire Gregorak.

Brint:

I don't have a horse in this race so I'll give my opinion.

The cowboys looked like a team that would finish middle of the pack in the big sky, that game was ugly by both teams.

The Griz have to improve or they won't win a road game this year. Completely shocked by how bad the Griz O was. Tough to tell how good the Griz d was as the cowboys were horrible on O.

BWahlberg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
PhxGriz said:
Fire Gregorak.

Brint:

Again, you used the words "showed improvement". I am just asking where did they show improvement In your estimation? The Wyo QB wasn't going to throw for big yards with his skill set so running the football was going to be critical for the Cowboys. They did it with ease. Are you saying because the BSC will have weaker teams than Wyo the Griz have improved? I am not trying to be a pr..k but what are you basing your opinions on?

Bigsky33 and Marceag, yeah, those weren't unbiased opinions at all lmao..not at all. Especially the one from Bigsky33. It cracks me up that you use Arkansas State as a reason for Griz fans to be concerned, but I have seen Griz posters get CRUSHED, BEATEN AND BANISHED from Bobcat Nation for playing the "but the team we lost to was better than the team you lost to" game.

Arkansas State and Wyoming will have ZERO to do with the outcome of the Griz-Cat on Nov. 22. ZERO!!!

bigsky33 said:
BWahlberg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:

Brint:

This wasn't Iowa St. like ND St. dominated today. Wyoming is not a good team. It is no where near Arkansas St. that the Bobcats played today. I would be concerned if I were you guys.

Bigsky....you guys got throttled on both sides of the ball..at least we had the opportunity to win and were still in the game at the 5 minute mark. Why don't you concern yourself with the scats and quit your typical bs on this board. Then in November come back and spew your idiocy.

This wasn't a bad game per se by JJ, it was that the kid was running for his life and/or peeling himself up off the turf for most of the game. He won't last the entire season if the protection doesn't improve.

In my opinion the co-coordinators on offense relied too much on Van. He's talented, but there is a reason why Marshall wanted to move him to DB. For the Griz OCs to build the game plan around him at WR/RB was just wishful thinking.

He's great in space and they designed a couple plays to isolate him and allow him to make some moves in space, but once Wyo made the adjustment it was a mute point.

WYO keying on Van shouldn't be too surprising considering every friggin article I read coming out of fall camp the coaching staff talked about how Van was going to be their key guy now that he was playing receiver and RB.

What d-coordinator with half a brain wouldn't game plan around stopping him?

So play calling was a huge part of the problem, but then factor in his last run of the game -- where he tried to dance rather than hit the hole and ended up losing 5 or so yards. Simply unforgivable for a running back in his senior year.

He instantly put the team in a 2nd and long, deep in their own territory, with 6 minutes left in the game, and in desperate need of TD. That one play negated any positive contribution he made earlier in the day in my mind.

Which begs a few obvious questions --

1.) If they were going to run it between the tackles on the first down of their last series, why not have Canada in the game?

2.) Why did they go away from the two-minute, hurry-up play calling that just got them their previous touchdown? Even an incomplete pass on would have been better than what Van did on first down. At least it would have stopped the clock and most likely wouldn't have resulted in a 2nd and long.

Which of course led to THE final nail in the coffin...

3.) Why in God's glorious name would you ever, ever, ever run a screen pass on 3rd and 15?

Maybe I missed something, but it appeared to me that was the same isolation play they were running to Van earlier in the game -- the same play WYO had clearly recognized and made adjustments to stop by that point in the game!

Whatever benefit I was giving the offensive coaching staff at this point was lost at that moment. Completely. These guys may be the nicest guys in the world. They all have Montana roots and history with UM, but they are not qualified to be coaching a D-1 school.

Case in point -- The lack of half-time adjustments. Or the ability to anticipate theirs. Wags was a force in the 1st half. Not so much in the 2nd half. Why? Bohl's staff made adjustments.

Griz had nothing new to offer in the second half, besides piss poor tackling on defense. They kept making the same apathetic play calls on offense that they did most of the first half, relying far too much on Van.

Our coaches are playing checkers. Their coaches are playing chess. It's as simple as that.

Frustrating because the Griz had success in the first half when they mixed the run with the short-to-medium passes. Especially with Saylor. They went away from him though for some reason and seemed to try and force the offense through Van.

Let's face it, the first TD was a gimmick play that worked. Nice throw. Nice catch, but before they could build any momentum they botched the PAT.

Delaney had an entire off-season to address the special team problems, especially in the kicking game. He didn't do his job. He is super nice guy. Deep Montana roots. A Butte guy even. He still needs to go, along with this entire staff.

Until we get an offensive mind like Phlu and a defensive mind like Breske and a special teams mind like Hauck back on the staff, the Griz will continue to be to a second-tier BSC and FCS program.

Thankfully Wa-Griz and the talent the Griz have put into the NFL are still enough of a draw to bring in talented recruiting classes. Hopefully their will be some talent left in the cupboard when the new staff is eventually put in place.

In the meantime Griz fans will have have to be content with the Griz's second tier status because we're years away from ever coming close to competing the EWUs and NDSUs of the FCS world.

Wyoming didn't just run the ball with ease CV. IN FACT, twice in the 4th, the Griz D went and got crucial stops handing the ball back to the O. One of them was a direct result in a score. The other, which gave the offense the ball back and the Griz trailing 17-12, the Griz O did zilch with it. Funny how Brint has ZERO agenda, and just talks about what he personally saw from the game, while agenda pushers have selective memories to suit whatever they are pushing at the time.

Oh ya, BTW CV, show me where Matt Hermanson EVER compared himself to Colt Anderson. Ok, if not, show me where Delaney or Hauck compared Matt Hermanson to Colt Anderson. No? Show me where an EGRIZ poster compared Hermy to Colt Anderson. Didn't think so.

CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:

Brint:

Again, you used the words "showed improvement". I am just asking where did they show improvement In your estimation? The Wyo QB wasn't going to throw for big yards with his skill set so running the football was going to be critical for the Cowboys. They did it with ease. Are you saying because the BSC will have weaker teams than Wyo the Griz have improved? I am not trying to be a pr..k but what are you basing your opinions on?

Improvement;

LBs in pass coverage, fewer deep plays, red zone int.

LBs in overall run support, yep the 4th got ugly but for most of 3 quarters they looked speedy, got to the ball, plugged a lot of gaps.

D line overall. Last years d line had the same talent but had issues with rushes around the edge and QB pressure. 4 sacks, 1 FF and 1 FR from the D line alone. Good improvement

CBs in coverage. Very few missed tackles, did not get beat over the top, good wrap ups, TFLs

All of those showed improvement over what we saw last year. Happy? :thumb:

I agree that it's frustrating that we had a chance in this game and couldn't do it. I also understand that Wyo is not a particularly good FBS team. But they are an FBS team nonetheless and most bad FBS teams are still better than most good FCS teams. I agree with Brint that this will be one of the best defenses and rushing teams we'll face all year. The fact that the Griz had a chance to win against an FBS opponent with a brand new O-line is very encouraging. There is a lot to look forward to with this team. It is not going to be a long year.

Go griz!!!!

havgrizfan said:
Wyoming didn't just run the ball with ease CV. IN FACT, twice in the 4th, the Griz D went and got crucial stops handing the ball back to the O. One of them was a direct result in a score. The other, which gave the offense the ball back and the Griz trailing 17-12, the Griz O did zilch with it. Funny how Brint has ZERO agenda, and just talks about what he personally saw from the game, while agenda pushers have selective memories to suit whatever they are pushing at the time.

Oh ya, BTW CV, show me where Matt Hermanson EVER compared himself to Colt Anderson. Ok, if not, show me where Delaney or Hauck compared Matt Hermanson to Colt Anderson. No? Show me where an EGRIZ poster compared Hermy to Colt Anderson. Didn't think so.

Hav I do believe Gregorak compared Hermey to Anderson.

You're right though, the Griz D made a ton of stops to get the ball back to the offense. It's like some posters think the 4th qtr was what happened the whole game

I wonder if the coaches are sugar coating this game like some on here. Good grief this team did not finish this game. We were bad on offense, we were ok on defense, and sucked on special teams.

bigsky33 said:
lol

We lost to an FBS team by 5. You're an idiot.

havgrizfan said:

Hav:

Why don't you just check TG's quote this summer in the Missoula paper. C'mon Hav you're better than that.... Oh BTW Hav, I've backed your impartiality on this board for two years now, running for 200 plus, when that's all you got to offer as an offense, is running with ease...

bigsky33 said:
BWahlberg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:

Brint:

Me too

havgrizfan said:
Bigsky33 and Marceag, yeah, those weren't unbiased opinions at all lmao..not at all. Especially the one from Bigsky33. It cracks me up that you use Arkansas State as a reason for Griz fans to be concerned, but I have seen Griz posters get CRUSHED, BEATEN AND BANISHED from Bobcat Nation for playing the "but the team we lost to was better than the team you lost to" game.

Arkansas State and Wyoming will have ZERO to do with the outcome of the Griz-Cat on Nov. 22. ZERO!!!

Look, a win for the Griz would have been good for the big sky, so most fans of other big sky schools were rooting for the Griz. The Griz just didn't look good, at all. Maybe Wyoming is better than they are getting credit.

Your high powered offense, with EH, scored 12 freakin points, that seems like a glaring issue. I wouldn't be worried about the cats is November because if the Griz play like that all season that game won't matter.

I do fully expect the Griz to turn it around and you have two cupcakes coming up to work in that oline. Would love to see the Griz come to cheney in November with only 1 or 2 losses...

On a positive note your D looked better than expected

They showed okay. Lots of room for improvement, esp at the top. My biggest complaint was our first drive after the half--The only time they didn't let jj throw. Papa bear was a big believer in seizing the MO right outta half, and with the delay, it was a crucial series. Finishing and starting the half has been this staff's achillies.

Back