• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: A mixed bag of results

havgrizfan said:
Wyoming didn't just run the ball with ease CV. IN FACT, twice in the 4th, the Griz D went and got crucial stops handing the ball back to the O. One of them was a direct result in a score. The other, which gave the offense the ball back and the Griz trailing 17-12, the Griz O did zilch with it. Funny how Brint has ZERO agenda, and just talks about what he personally saw from the game, while agenda pushers have selective memories to suit whatever they are pushing at the time.

Oh ya, BTW CV, show me where Matt Hermanson EVER compared himself to Colt Anderson. Ok, if not, show me where Delaney or Hauck compared Matt Hermanson to Colt Anderson. No? Show me where an EGRIZ poster compared Hermy to Colt Anderson. Didn't think so.

CV has an agenda? Who would have thunk it? Its not like 80% of his posts are bashing the secondary/gregorak/Delaney.

Well then I think that's dumb on Ty's part to make that comparison. So yeah, my fault. Never saw that quote. HAVING said that, just because Matt isn't Colt, doesn't make him anything less than what he is, a two-time Big Sky All-Conference performer (Which he can only get votes from the OTHER Big Sky coaches, and their opinions of Hermy mean a hell of a lot more to me than any on Egriz), as well as a 2014 FCS All-American candidate and one of the unquestioned leaders of the Griz' defense. That's good enough for me all day long. Just like Beau Baldwin, Rob Ash and Mike Kramer's opinion of Hermy carry about 1,000 times more weight than any Egriz' poster's opinion of him does.

CV Griz Fan said:
havgrizfan said:
Wyoming didn't just run the ball with ease CV. IN FACT, twice in the 4th, the Griz D went and got crucial stops handing the ball back to the O. One of them was a direct result in a score. The other, which gave the offense the ball back and the Griz trailing 17-12, the Griz O did zilch with it. Funny how Brint has ZERO agenda, and just talks about what he personally saw from the game, while agenda pushers have selective memories to suit whatever they are pushing at the time.

Oh ya, BTW CV, show me where Matt Hermanson EVER compared himself to Colt Anderson. Ok, if not, show me where Delaney or Hauck compared Matt Hermanson to Colt Anderson. No? Show me where an EGRIZ poster compared Hermy to Colt Anderson. Didn't think so.

Hav:

Why don't you just check TG's quote this summer in the Missoula paper. C'mon Hav you're better than that.... Oh BTW Hav, I've backed your impartiality on this board for two years now, running for 200 plus is with ease...

58 of that was one run...

I watched a bunch off
Football today and tried to see mainly FBS v FCS games. I don't think WYO looked all that good personally.

However seeing NDSU thump the Cyclones a Big XII and PSU look impressive against the Beavs. I sera huge difference to speed and execution. From what I saw today the Griz would get beaten by both PSU and NDSU.

Watching SD Coyotes play the Ducks and the Coyotes may be getting routed. However they have some speed as well!

I think last years Griz team would have beaten the WYO team we say today.

It makes me I'll to say and think it, but we could be looking at another 2012 season again or worse. You might say its one game and against an FBS team. I don't buy it. WYO is not that good and we looked like we had been practicing for a less than a week and did ZERO game planning.

marceagfan5 said:
havgrizfan said:
Bigsky33 and Marceag, yeah, those weren't unbiased opinions at all lmao..not at all. Especially the one from Bigsky33. It cracks me up that you use Arkansas State as a reason for Griz fans to be concerned, but I have seen Griz posters get CRUSHED, BEATEN AND BANISHED from Bobcat Nation for playing the "but the team we lost to was better than the team you lost to" game.

Arkansas State and Wyoming will have ZERO to do with the outcome of the Griz-Cat on Nov. 22. ZERO!!!

Look, a win for the Griz would have been good for the big sky, so most fans of other big sky schools were rooting for the Griz. The Griz just didn't look good, at all. Maybe Wyoming is better than they are getting credit.

Your high powered offense, with EH, scored 12 freakin points, that seems like a glaring issue. I wouldn't be worried about the cats is November because if the Griz play like that all season that game won't matter.

I do fully expect the Griz to turn it around and you have two cupcakes coming up to work in that oline. Would love to see the Griz come to cheney in November with only 1 or 2 losses...

On a positive note your D looked better than expected
Uh, your high powered offense scored all of 20 against TERRIBLE Idaho en route to the semi-finals. Let's not pretend that play-up games are all indicative of what games against shitty Big Sky defenses will turn out like.

Can someone please explain these cat fans to me. It seems like every year they are on egriz telling us how concerned we should be about the griz this year. Meanwhile they always seem to get completely blown out and when we lose we are in it to the end and lose by small margin. Seems to me that they should worry about themselves and not us.

Also, can someone more in tune with the FBS please tell me if Ark state is really that much better than Wyoming as all the cat fans claim. I seem to remember the sun belt being a very very weak conference and most of the standings/rankings having Wyoming ahead of or very close to ark state. I really don't follow the FBS that closely and could be wrong, but it sure seems to me that the cat fans claims have more to do with them wanting to negate their struggling team getting handled by a subpar FBS team and the griz narrowly losing to a subpar FBS team.

Thurman Murman said:
havgrizfan said:

CV has an agenda? Who would have thunk it? Its not like 80% of his posts are bashing the secondary/gregorak/Delaney.

Oh my God you're back? I guess I'd just say dispute the facts....

Thurman Murman said:
Can someone please explain these cat fans to me. It seems like every year they are on egriz telling us how concerned we should be about the griz this year. Meanwhile they always seem to get completely blown out and when we lose we are in it to the end and lose by small margin. Seems to me that they should worry about them selves and not us.
Denial is a powerful thing. How else can they rationalize the constant 25-40 point losses?

CV Griz Fan said:
Thurman Murman said:
havgrizfan said:

Someone has to keep you in line Mr. Coogan. And what are these fact you speak of? All I see from you is bashing, opinions, and a clear lack of defensive knowledge.

We had no turnovers and three penalties, two of which (together) basically gave up a TD. It was an overall great job for the first game of the year in those departments.

I think I must care a lot less about rushing yards and shit than most. I don't give a fuck if we never call another running play. I don't think the lack of a running game lost this game as much as the fact that Johnson missed a LOT of throws, whether caused by lack of protection or not.

Don't care, only first game, was an FBS team and jj handled it well. Just need Oline to help push the run. Lost by 5 points!! Go Griz

Thurman Murman said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Thurman Murman said:
havgrizfan said:

Someone has to keep you in line Mr. Coogan. And what are these fact you speak of? All I see from you is bashing, opinions, and a clear lack of defensive knowledge.

Hmm... lack of defensive knowledge? Again no facts presented by you. Do the broadcasters have a lack of defensive knowledge too? I think you need to go back to your Van. Come out after the EWU game maybe...

Brock Landers said:
marceagfan5 said:
havgrizfan said:
Bigsky33 and Marceag, yeah, those weren't unbiased opinions at all lmao..not at all. Especially the one from Bigsky33. It cracks me up that you use Arkansas State as a reason for Griz fans to be concerned, but I have seen Griz posters get CRUSHED, BEATEN AND BANISHED from Bobcat Nation for playing the "but the team we lost to was better than the team you lost to" game.

Arkansas State and Wyoming will have ZERO to do with the outcome of the Griz-Cat on Nov. 22. ZERO!!!

Look, a win for the Griz would have been good for the big sky, so most fans of other big sky schools were rooting for the Griz. The Griz just didn't look good, at all. Maybe Wyoming is better than they are getting credit.

Your high powered offense, with EH, scored 12 freakin points, that seems like a glaring issue. I wouldn't be worried about the cats is November because if the Griz play like that all season that game won't matter.

I do fully expect the Griz to turn it around and you have two cupcakes coming up to work in that oline. Would love to see the Griz come to cheney in November with only 1 or 2 losses...

On a positive note your D looked better than expected
Uh, your high powered offense scored all of 20 against TERRIBLE Idaho en route to the semi-finals. Let's not pretend that play-up games are all indicative of what games against shitty Big Sky defenses will turn out like.

No reason to debate this. I wanted to see the Griz win. Hopefully you guys will play better in the coming weeks. A good showing in Fargo would help both the Griz and the Big Sky.

Good luck in the coming weeks...

griznation23 said:
Don't care, only first game, was an FBS team and jj handled it well. Just need Oline to help push the run. Lost by 5 points!! Go Griz

I agree except for the run. Fuck the run. Why try to force it if we know the OL isn't going to be up to the task against a good, or even decent, defense? Especially when we have a mobile QB. We basically wasted 20 plays today on runs. Shotgun, five wide, no huddle, and give yourself a chance to move the ball up the goddamned field.

bigkid said:
I wonder if the coaches are sugar coating this game like some on here. Good grief this team did not finish this game. We were bad on offense, we were ok on defense, and sucked on special teams.

Y'all goin' to shit your pants when Wyoming goes 12 - 0 and gets an open invite to their four-team BCS Playoffs this year. That's all I gotta say.

Lets keep some perspective here. The Griz played a tight game with a team from a bigger division and had a chance at the end to take the lead. While blocking issues plagued the o-line and the offense was offensive, the defense kept the Griz in the game.

Yes there was over 200 yards rushing against the D, but how long has it been since the D held an opponent to under 100 yards passing? Holding an FBS team to 301 total yards is a big deal for the D. Speaking of that, when was the last time that the D held an opponent to 300 yards on the day? The D kept the Griz in this game. They got turnovers when they were needed. They didn't quit and in the end, gave the O one more chance to put the game away. Look at this defensive body of work and then try to justify the "fire Gregorak" slogans.

There are some issues that need to be addressed, such as Dennard's tackling with only his shoulder, pursuit angles, and some lack of form tackling. There are always things that need to be done better. But I think that the D can say that they did a pretty decent job today. They kept Montana in it to the end.

Question for Oregongriz. You said last year's team would have beaten this year's Wyoming squad. Correct? But you also said you thought that the Griz speed looked slow. You do realize, offensively, at the skill positions, it's almost ENTIRELY the same team?? Correct? So are you saying Jamal Jones, Jordan Canada, Travon Van and JJ got slower over the last nine months? Do you have any actual physical proof of this? Do you have last season's 40 times, or shuttle drill times to compare to this season's? I'm just curious how an entire offense could get slower over the course of nine months, even though all they've done in that nine months is work hard at getting stronger and faster. That just doesn't add up.

havgrizfan said:
Well then I think that's dumb on Ty's part to make that comparison. So yeah, my fault. Never saw that quote. HAVING said that, just because Matt isn't Colt, doesn't make him anything less than what he is, a two-time Big Sky All-Conference performer (Which he can only get votes from the OTHER Big Sky coaches, and their opinions of Hermy mean a hell of a lot more to me than any on Egriz), as well as a 2014 FCS All-American candidate and one of the unquestioned leaders of the Griz' defense. That's good enough for me all day long. Just like Beau Baldwin, Rob Ash and Mike Kramer's opinion of Hermy carry about 1,000 times more weight than any Egriz' poster's opinion of him does.

Gregorak's comparison is actually spot on, in my view. Hermansen is avery good safety. Colt became a great player at UM and has had a nice NFL career, but he missed lots of tackles at UM and probably more than Hermansen does.

Brock Landers said:
bigsky33 said:
This wasn't Iowa St. like ND St. dominated today. Wyoming is not a good team. It is no where near Arkansas St. that the Bobcats played today. I would be concerned if I were you guys.
lol

We lost to an FBS team by 5. You're an idiot.

LOL...I think the point he is trying to make is that, yea, you played an FBS team today, but one analagous to team like UC davis or ISU. Certainly not a power house. Probably not even middle of the pack at the FBS level. While on the other hand, Iowa st and Ark St are not shitty FBS teams, and they would absolutely crush Wyoming. Now, whatever point he was trying to make past that is moot. You can't say that since NDSU beat iowa st they would beat the griz because Iowa st is better than Wyoming, blah blah blah. What is for certain is that Wyoming was less of an FBS challenge than other teams (NDSU, MSU, etc) were playing today, which is reflected in the scores, as you only lost by 5 points, and were legit contenders the whole game.

BWahlberg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Brint:

The D got gashed for 200 plus yards on the ground. Are you saying that because Wyo didn't throw for 400 yards there was improvement? Explain....

This wasn't UC Davis we were playing but an FBS team with an experienced line and two very good running backs in a system that is designed to run the ball a whole lot.

Griz held Wyo to 250 total yards, went +2 in turnovers, had 5 sacks.

This was probably one of the faster, more experienced, and talented rushing groups we'll see all year.

Again, you used the words "showed improvement". I am just asking where did they show improvement In your estimation? The Wyo QB wasn't going to throw for big yards with his skill set so running the football was going to be critical for the Cowboys. They did it with ease. Are you saying because the BSC will have weaker teams than Wyo the Griz have improved? I am not trying to be a pr..k but what are you basing your opinions on?

Improvement;

LBs in pass coverage, fewer deep plays, red zone int.

LBs in overall run support, yep the 4th got ugly but for most of 3 quarters they looked speedy, got to the ball, plugged a lot of gaps.

D line overall. Last years d line had the same talent but had issues with rushes around the edge and QB pressure. 4 sacks, 1 FF and 1 FR from the D line alone. Good improvement

CBs in coverage. Very few missed tackles, did not get beat over the top, good wrap ups, TFLs

All of those showed improvement over what we saw last year. Happy? :thumb:

No. I am not happy with your assessment. Improvement is quantifiable. The Cowboys offered only one thing on offense which was running the football. They did it convincingly. The Griz knew what they were going to do but couldn't stop them. How was that improvement? If you are saying that the Griz held their own against an FBS team then I'll agree with you. But improvement? Not necessarily.

Back