• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: A mixed bag of results

RayWill said:
PlayerRep said:
RayWill said:
PlayerRep said:
False start by Theibes on 1st down late in game. Too many missed tackles. I missed the extra point, so didn't see how it occurred. Blocked punt.

Poor snap, bumbled held and a miss wide about 5 feet to the left. The whole thing was possibly the worst play of the game.

Thanks. Was the regular snapper snapping?

I didn't catch who was snapping on that play.

Also of note though was that I saw Wyer go out in the first and don't think he returned. Also I heard that Hermenson might be out for a week

Snapper was Takai, apparently he was gassed at the time.

Weyer sprained his knee.

Holmes sprained and ankle but returned

Hermey not sure, he did return though.

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
Your post is not accurate. It's because of your long-term bias on safety play at UM. Hermie is a very good tackler. He has good technique. He tackles fine in space. He's a hard hitter. He was UM's second leading tackler today, with 11, and was UM's leading solo tackler with 8. He missed on a "bad" angle, after the runner got thru off tackle without being touched when one or more backers were not near the hole. Most safeties will not have the "right" angle if a runner gets thru the line untouched. He didn't make a tackle on the sideline, after good contact. Should have. He missed in the middle, when there was slight helmet to helmet contact and the runner slowed Hermie's momentum. He should have made some of those. He will in the future.

Great. Me and the broadcasters are wrong. But please answer the question, is Hermanson an NFL talent like Colt?

Yes, you and announcers are frequently wrong. Don't know on NFL talent. I'm better at judging college talent (and "cheating" by talking/listening to coaches about college talent).

So is that a no? PR you're a great poster but you are not all knowing. Your non-scholarship days of playing college football a generation ago have lost it's luster. Were you drafted by the NFL/ AFL, where you a Streets and Smith's top 100 college football player? Off course not.... Were you a USA Eagle alternate in Rugby, did you play for the Pacific Coast Grizzlies Rep side? Did you play rugby for any power team like OMBAC, Belmont Shores, Life College or the Denver Barbarians? If you did, send me an Motherfu....PM. Otherwise STFU.
PR you have a Stanford Law degree. That's great but it's not like it's from Boalt. Please get over yourself.... I will talk rugby and football anytime you want if you got the guts.

Did you even play high school football? Stanford law is ranked much higher than Berkeley law.

Stanford ranked no. 2, tied with Harvard, in this link/ranking. Berkeley ranked no. 9. Stanford has been in the top 3 for years; Berkeley has never been close to the top 3.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

griz4life said:
That was a winnable game for Montana had

1. special teams been even average, which has not been the case for this staff's tenure. The blown extra point was one thing, but the blocked punt was terrible and we topped it off by going for it on fourth and seven. Have to think special teams played a role there. After the game, Wyoming ' s announcers thought the turnover on downs was the turning point and a peculiar choice by the Griz.
You could feel that Wyoming coming off the bench had a new sense of urgency. The hadn't scored a touchdown and really looked flat.
2. The Pokes still probably don't score on that drive without the pass interference call and the horse collar call. The Griz got away with a horse collar earlier. But the one that kept the offense moving for Wyoming was a killer. Once that Griz assisted score was on the board, the second one was easy.

Our middle linebacker was getting sealed off badly in the second half. Say what you want about Hermy, there is no excuse for him making as many run stops as he had to. The middle linebacker was nonexistent at times.
3.JJ took some hard hits in that game. I'll bet he's feeling it now. A couple of them looked pretty late.
He had several second and third options that he just didn't have much time to check.
4. The lightning delay was a killer for momentum and gave coach Bohl extra time to get his offense on the right page.

The horse collar call didn't keep Wyo's drive alive. It probably saved a TD. Wyo. had an 18 yard run to the 10 for a first down on that play. The penalty was half to the goal, so a 5-yard penalty. The PI call looked like the d-back stumbled/slipped and legs got tangled. Unfortunate but not a horrible play by the d-back. I agree with some of your other points.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Great. Me and the broadcasters are wrong. But please answer the question, is Hermanson an NFL talent like Colt?

Yes, you and announcers are frequently wrong. Don't know on NFL talent. I'm better at judging college talent (and "cheating" by talking/listening to coaches about college talent).

So is that a no? PR you're a great poster but you are not all knowing. Your non-scholarship days of playing college football a generation ago have lost it's luster. Were you drafted by the NFL/ AFL, where you a Streets and Smith's top 100 college football player? Off course not.... Were you a USA Eagle alternate in Rugby, did you play for the Pacific Coast Grizzlies Rep side? Did you play rugby for any power team like OMBAC, Belmont Shores, Life College or the Denver Barbarians? If you did, send me an Motherfu....PM. Otherwise STFU.
PR you have a Stanford Law degree. That's great but it's not like it's from Boalt. Please get over yourself.... I will talk rugby and football anytime you want if you got the guts.

Did you even play high school football? Stanford law is ranked much higher than Berkeley law.

Sure it is PR. I guess that's a no on the rest of your resume. I thought so. Missoula is such a rugby power.... Again, get over yourself you big fish in a small pond... OMBAC is looking for some back line help getting ready for their next run. Maybe there is someone on the Griz you can recommend....what a "big talker" you are.

My my 2 cents, but I thought our D played very well for the most part. Yes Wyoming isn't exactly a juggernaut, but they do have FBS talent, some fine running backs and a hell of a coach now. Our D was a major bright spot in the game I thought. From the looks of our offensive line we are going to have to rely on the D big time this year.

JJ had a bad game, but jeezus he was on his back way too often and we had no run game since there were no holes. Our offense looked good though when we went into the hurry up and let JJ use his strengths to move the ball down the field. When our coaching staff actually lets our O play to their strengths its a great thing to watch! Wish they did it more often.

What makes this loss toughest to swallow is some of the questionable calls by our coaching staff on offense. The timeouts were oddly used which even the announcers found baffling. The run on 1st down play our last drive after we just marched down the field with the hurry up passing offense the previous drive. We couldn't run worth a shit today, why put ourselves in a hole on our last drive? Then there was the first drive of the game, run 3 straight times including on 3rd and 14? Did...we just not have any plays ready for that series and said "aww fuck it, we need more time to think so lets get the O off the field." Probably not THAT important but still kind of made me think WTF? I really wish our coaching staff would turn JJ loose. He's an incredible talent when we use his strengths.

To tell you the truth, and I know this is going to sound like the whole "hindsight is 20/20" thing, but I thought we should have punted the first time when we were up 6-3. Pin Wyoming deep and let our D who had been very impressive get another stop. Instead we go for it there, our OLine doesn't even give JJ 2 seconds and he gets sacked. Then when we actually SHOULD to go for it on 4th and 4 down by 11, we punt. Just didn't make sense.

I expected the Griz to lose this game, but the fact we had opportunity to win this game and iffy calls prevented that is what annoys the hell out of me.

After the first half I remember thinking we definitely have the talent to win this game...but do we have the coaching?

Anyway, on to next game against Central Washington! If we struggle to run against them and struggle to protect JJ that's going to be a scary sign of things to come... hope that's not the case!

Great analysis Brint. I agree that this was a bad game by JJ. At times he didn't look dialed in or focused, and missed a number of open receivers that could've given us a decisive advantage.

I find it interesting that some people think the o-line played poorly, and because he was "running" for his life that he didn't to well, why others think the exact opposite that when he is running for his life, and getting outside the pocket, he plays with an edge and at his best.

In the end it just shows everyone has an opinion, and it really doesn't mean much. I see us having a very good year this......perhaps like the teams of the early 2000s.

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
Looking back I thought we’d see a 19-10 Wyoming win which I simply based that upon an inexperienced Griz O-line having problems with Wyo’s d-line while the Grizzly defense would be able to do enough to keep them in the game. As it turned out the Griz lost 17-12 and those issues popped up, but what might’ve contributed more to this loss than the O-line play for the Griz was an uncharacteristically bad game from JJ and a defense that looked pretty darn good until 10:00 left (or so) in the game when they suddenly fell apart and couldn’t make tackles.

So let’s take a deep breath, realize this was an underdog game where many of us were worried about getting ripped, and take a look at a few things objectively.

1. Our defensive line is legit. Wags had a monster game, Holmes started good but an ankle sprain slowed him down. Two sacks and a few TFLs for Takai. A fumble recovery for Rehm. Wags started of his Buck Buchanan campaign with a bang. The D-line couldn’t plug every hole but save the first drive and the late 4th quarter, they were very good.

2. Our pass coverage was improved. However lets call it for what it is, Wyo’s QB is not very good, he probably wouldn’t start for nearly half of the Big Sky schools. However for a defense that was labeled as soft in coverage, allowing everything in front of them, and unable to attack the passing game they showed some good improvement. They allowed the D-line pressure to help them out, forced a pick in the endzone, and had some good stops.

3. Jordan Johnson is a warrior and plays his BEST FOOTBALL in the hurry up. It was looking pretty rough for the Grizzly offense in the 2nd half but suddenly, and just like last season, JJ is given the green light to go hurry up and move the offense. All he does is suddenly inject life into the offense and they quickly score a TD. JJ was getting blitzed and running for his life but suddenly in the hurry up Wyo couldn’t get to him in time and he found his targets.

4. The O-line did OK. Yes… I said they did OK. No I’m not saying it was great but keep in mind the discussion all week. A lot on here were saying that JJ was going to get hurt, we wouldn’t do a single thing, the OL would totally collapse and be entirely worthless. Were they? No. This was maybe the 2nd best defensive line the Griz will see this year. There were errors, breakdowns, and issues. However form what I saw, JJ had more time than I thought he would. The running game didn’t have much going but some holes were opened up. Surprisingly for all of the worry about the tackles… it was those two who had the better games and the interior line that showed more issues.

5. TraVon Van could be a make or break this season. He is the x-factor of this team and getting him out in space as a WR was an excellent move by the coaching staff. He had a handful of big plays and made both of Wyo’s starting corners look silly trying to tackle him.

6. Lots of big plays from our linebackers. Kose picks a pass, KVA and Gamboa multiple TFLs. These guys are all about the big plays, you can tell. However they need to find more consistency and their tackling late got real bad.

7. How about our TEs, especially Saylor and Ralston? JJ loves the TE and he’s showing it again as those two guys were recipients of a ton of passes and his only TD.

8. Josh Janssen turned a strong fall camp into the first receiving TD of the season. This guy is a rising Griz star, look for more and more of this guy as he gets comfy in this offense.

OK, so here we go, now let’s talk about what everyone is grumbling about. But I’m going to start where many wont.

1. This was probably one of the very worst games I’ve ever seen JJ play. How many open targets did he sling passes to that went way over their heads. For a guy that opened last season as the epitome of efficient QB play Jordan was very inaccurate and was darn lucky he didn’t throw 3 interceptions. I don’t know if it was the pressure or something else but early on he would only opt for the short passes. Once he started going downfield he was unable to find his targets. Many completed passes were even way behind WRs too. While there’s lots of areas to pick apart that contributed to this loss… JJ’s poor performance might be one of the bigger factors.

2. I expected OL issues, but I’m not going to give them a pass because inconsistencies and bad pass protection at the wrong times might explain why JJ was having such a rough time. As I said earlier it seemed to me more of the interior line was the issue. That 4th and 3 on the Wyo 40, Logan Hines lets the DT right through to sack JJ. Stunts and blitzes were effective and mostly up the middle. Other teams will take note and the interior line is going to get attacked big time until they prove otherwise.

3. I can’t blame Kfense and Gragg on playcalling because I think they were limited with the OL and JJ’s play today. However lets dissect that last Griz drive. Down 5 with a chance to take the lead we start with a handoff that’s not worked almost all day long, loss of 4. That one you could place on the coaches. Then JJ hits Saylor in the hand 15 yards up the field, Mitch starts going up field before the ball is secured and drops it. Then 3rd down JJ checks down when he should’ve probably risked a deep throw instead, and it’s nowhere near a first down. Insult to injury, Ellis was hit late with no flag. However relying upon the refs to help convert isn’t the name of the game.

4. Special teams. Ugh. Greenberg gets the nod at kicking and the PAT is rolled and then mis-held, he stops, starts, puts a foot on it, but it’s shanked. Total mess. Then a blocked punt that anyone could see coming from a mile away. Wyo was almost getting there time and time again and then they put on a full rush and Shaw’s easily blocked. It got cleaned up after that but Shaw needs to keep that faster wind up and kicking motion going. On the good side we got a blocked punt out of Peevey and clean punts caught by Nguyen… although he did fumble and recover a kickoff…

5. Tackling late in the game. The defense opened allowing a fieldgoal. It was looking like it’d be a long day. But suddenly they buckled down. Made stops, prevented first downs. For the half of the 1st qtr, all of the 2nd, and most of the 3rd the defense was stuffing the run, pressuring the QB, and forcing 3 and outs. I was beaming, the defense was showing GREAT improvement. But then… the wheels fell off. As the announcers pointed out suddenly the linebackers were not getting off their blocks and our safeties were taking real bad angles to the ball. Hermanson got called out by the Root announcers repeatedly, he went from a good first half to a real bad 4th qtr that I’m sure most egrizzers here will continue to bitch about. Suddenly the Griz couldn’t tackle, they were getting dragged down the field, the pile was driving them back multiple yards, sure fire short gainers turned into missed tackles and big gains. The defense kept the Griz in this game but when it was needed the most, it lost its edge. Again if you’re looking for “blame” look on both sides of the ball. The offense didn’t help by not being able to do much either, the D had to go out time and time again and make a stand. Also it’s hard to keep momentum going when the offense isn’t putting any points on the board.

-----------------

So lets take this for what it is, a loss that by many thought – was going to happen. There were some quirks we did not expect and some surprises that were both bad and good. We’ll have to hear word but it seems injuries were hopefully minimal and we’ve got a good D2 school coming to town that will test us but should allow the Griz to build off the positives and work on the challenges.

What becomes challenging I think for some is that a lot of us expected a loss, but suddenly its halftime and the Griz are up and the defense is looking good. We get our hopes up, but then late in the game we see the game slip out of the Grizzlies grasp. So now some of us are pissed. I’m not. I’m encouraged with some of the nice surprises in this team and I’m looking forward to seeing these guys get on track next week.

Safe travels home Griz and Griz fans – we’ve got a game to win next week! GO GRIZ!

5. Poor tacking. Hermanson got ripped last year by the broadcasters too especially during the EWU game. He cannot tackle in space. His angles are poor and breakdown technique is horrible. He will never be Colt Anderson. Move on...

Your post is not accurate. It's because of your long-term bias on safety play at UM. Hermie is a very good tackler. He has good technique. He tackles fine in space. He's a hard hitter. He was UM's second leading tackler today, with 11, and was UM's leading solo tackler with 8. He missed on a "bad" angle, after the runner got thru off tackle without being touched when one or more backers were not near the hole. Most safeties will not have the "right" angle if a runner gets thru the line untouched. He didn't make a tackle on the sideline, after good contact. Should have. He missed in the middle, when there was slight helmet to helmet contact and the runner slowed Hermie's momentum. He should have made some of those. He will in the future.

YES

We lost to a sh!tty FBS football team. Their quarterback was horrible. They RAN the football on the Griz even though the "entire" stadium knew they could NOT throw effectively. With that being said... the Griz DEFENSE played well enough for us to win the game. (even with the missed tackles and miscues) We could NOT run the football, and it was obvious long before the 1st half ended... it wasn't going to happen. Delaney showed us again... he had no skill set to modify the game plan and find a way to win on the road. JJ has played poorly "2" games in a row now. If you are wondering why they "force fed" Van?? It's because he has the ability to make the "BIG" play. While it didn't happen, only one of them could have been enough for the "W". I can't explain JJ's poor play completely. Yeah... he had pressures, but at times he missed the "broad side of the barn" with no visual explanation. In summary, without a HEALTHY Ellis Henderson we are going to take a step back on "O". He is an absolute game changer! Literally, he has WON games for us with a single stroke of the pen...(HUUUGGEEE PLAYS) While JJ touches the ball on every play...Ellis affects the "D" on their secondary calls, etc. Jamal is a #2 receiver. He can't take on the load with the absence of a "full strength" #7. I can't wait for this coaching staff to be HISTORY!!... :egriz: it still shocks me how some of you refuse to call a spade a spade. :eek:

PlayerRep said:
Did you even play high school football? Stanford law is ranked much higher than Berkeley law. Stanford ranked no. 2, tied with Harvard, in this link/ranking. Berkeley ranked no. 9. Stanford has been in the top 3 for years; Berkeley has never been close to the top 3.
I still wear my Berkeley tie with pride even though the usual response from people is "what's that?"

ordigger said:
Great analysis Brint. I agree that this was a bad game by JJ. At times he didn't look dialed in or focused, and missed a number of open receivers that could've given us a decisive advantage.
Given the number of bad throws, it was something of a miracle to be leading at the half. Truly, Wyoming couldn't throw, run, or intercept and that was it's own mystery given the number of opportunities. The quarterbacks should have made all the difference in this game, Kirkegaard is still playing high school level, badly, and Jordan Johnson has endless talent. How that did not translate into a win simply on those merits alone is a question that the coaches really need to be able to answer but I wonder if they even ask the question.

It is interesting too, UM used to be a great "third quarter" team under Hauck and Pflu. The "half" was obviously put to good use. The past two years, and yesterday, I wonder where the coaches go during the half. Coffee? Pizza?

Question: Have any of you ever tried to throw a wet football in the rain, either into or with a 25 mph wind?

And if so, could you drop it on a dime like you armchair experts seem to expect JJ to be able to do? It ain't something you practice.

AZGrizFan said:
Question: Have any of you ever tried to throw a wet football in the rain, either into or with a 25 mph wind?

And if so, could you drop it on a dime like you armchair experts seem to expect JJ to be able to do? It ain't something you practice.
I know you are delighted AZ. JJ is healthy and we LOST the f'n game. These are your priorities...I can't make this up.... :roll: ... :egriz:

The new kicker, Sullivan, had a couple of really nice kickoffs; maybe he could kick the pats from the 50; your friend, yogi

UMGriz75 said:
ordigger said:
Given the number of bad throws, it was something of a miracle to be leading at the half. Truly, Wyoming couldn't throw, run, or intercept and that was it's own mystery given the number of opportunities. The quarterbacks should have made all the difference in this game, Kirkegaard is still playing high school level, badly, and Jordan Johnson has endless talent. How that did not translate into a win simply on those merits alone is a question that the coaches really need to be able to answer but I wonder if they even ask the question.

It is interesting too, UM used to be a great "third quarter" team under Hauck and Pflu. The "half" was obviously put to good use. The past two years, and yesterday, I wonder where the coaches go during the half. Coffee? Pizza?
^^^^^True^^^^^^

UMGriz75 said:
PlayerRep said:
Did you even play high school football? Stanford law is ranked much higher than Berkeley law. Stanford ranked no. 2, tied with Harvard, in this link/ranking. Berkeley ranked no. 9. Stanford has been in the top 3 for years; Berkeley has never been close to the top 3.
I still wear my Berkeley tie with pride even though the usual response from people is "what's that?"

Berkeley is a great school and great place. My daughter was gearing up to go to Berkeley law, but got accepted by Stanford and gave up her to $120,000 ($40,000 per year) merit scholarship at Berkeley to go to Stanford with no merit scholarship. Started last week.

rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I know you are delighted AZ. JJ is healthy and we LOST the f'n game. These are your priorities...I can't make this up.... :roll: ... :egriz:

And you're a retard. We can't make that up either.

Potomac Griz said:
My my 2 cents, but I thought our D played very well for the most part. Yes Wyoming isn't exactly a juggernaut, but they do have FBS talent, some fine running backs and a hell of a coach now. Our D was a major bright spot in the game I thought. From the looks of our offensive line we are going to have to rely on the D big time this year.

JJ had a bad game, but jeezus he was on his back way too often and we had no run game since there were no holes. Our offense looked good though when we went into the hurry up and let JJ use his strengths to move the ball down the field. When our coaching staff actually lets our O play to their strengths its a great thing to watch! Wish they did it more often.

What makes this loss toughest to swallow is some of the questionable calls by our coaching staff on offense. The timeouts were oddly used which even the announcers found baffling. The run on 1st down play our last drive after we just marched down the field with the hurry up passing offense the previous drive. We couldn't run worth a shit today, why put ourselves in a hole on our last drive? Then there was the first drive of the game, run 3 straight times including on 3rd and 14? Did...we just not have any plays ready for that series and said "aww f*** it, we need more time to think so lets get the O off the field." Probably not THAT important but still kind of made me think WTF? I really wish our coaching staff would turn JJ loose. He's an incredible talent when we use his strengths.

To tell you the truth, and I know this is going to sound like the whole "hindsight is 20/20" thing, but I thought we should have punted the first time when we were up 6-3. Pin Wyoming deep and let our D who had been very impressive get another stop. Instead we go for it there, our OLine doesn't even give JJ 2 seconds and he gets sacked. Then when we actually SHOULD to go for it on 4th and 4 down by 11, we punt. Just didn't make sense.

I expected the Griz to lose this game, but the fact we had opportunity to win this game and iffy calls prevented that is what annoys the hell out of me.

After the first half I remember thinking we definitely have the talent to win this game...but do we have the coaching?

Anyway, on to next game against Central Washington! If we struggle to run against them and struggle to protect JJ that's going to be a scary sign of things to come... hope that's not the case!

Two quotes,from the Missoulian articles, relevant to your comments:

1.“I thought Jordy played very well,” Delaney said."

"Johnson, always striving to perfect his game, felt he could have done a better job helping his young line.“One thing I can do a better job of is ID-ing where they need to go,” he said. “There was one in particular where there was some confusion and the play clock was running down and I need to do a better job of communicating where they need to slide to. But that’s first-game stuff and they’ve never played so we can only get better.”

"Bohl was impressed with Johnson’s performance."

2. “I made a bad decision to go for it on fourth-and-8 from the (Wyoming) 36-yard line and we got sacked. We had played such great defense up to that point and that’s kind of a turnover really. It gave them some momentum, some spark to go down and score.”

AZGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Who is we? The turd in your pocket. Maybe CDA can bail you out AGAIN. Your priorities were clown like...own it... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
We lost to a sh!tty FBS football team. Their quarterback was horrible. They RAN the football on the Griz even though the "entire" stadium knew they could NOT throw effectively. With that being said... the Griz DEFENSE played well enough for us to win the game. (even with the missed tackles and miscues) We could NOT run the football, and it was obvious long before the 1st half ended... it wasn't going to happen. Delaney showed us again... he had no skill set to modify the game plan and find a way to win on the road. JJ has played poorly "2" games in a row now. If you are wondering why they "force fed" Van?? It's because he has the ability to make the "BIG" play. While it didn't happen, only one of them could have been enough for the "W". I can't explain JJ's poor play completely. Yeah... he had pressures, but at times he missed the "broad side of the barn" with no visual explanation. In summary, without a HEALTHY Ellis Henderson we are going to take a step back on "O". He is an absolute game changer! Literally, he has WON games for us with a single stroke of the pen...(HUUUGGEEE PLAYS) While JJ touches the ball on every play...Ellis affects the "D" on their secondary calls, etc. Jamal is a #2 receiver. He can't take on the load with the absence of a "full strength" #7. I can't wait for this coaching staff to be HISTORY!!... :egriz: it still shocks me how some of you refuse to call a spade a spade. :eek:

JJ threw for 388 and 4 TD's against CC last year, with a 141.23 passing efficiency. He also had 3 carries for 24 yards. That's no exactly playing poorly. In that, that's playing well.

AZGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Ya, Rim thinks JJ's throwing for 388 yards and 4 TDs against playoff team CC, in very cold weather with 5-10 mph wind, is playing poorly. That's pretty funny.

Latest posts

Back