• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post game: A team loss

G-BEARS said:
This is a good example that stats aren't always a good indicator of performance levels. Gustafson went 34 for 59 and 4 tds, but played very badly.

Yup, and so did every other player on the team with the exception of Justin Calhoun. That goes for Kidder, Justin Strong, Josh Buss, Semenza, the entire offensive line, Jesse Sims on the crucial offside, I could go on and on. Gus didn't even remotely come close to being alone in costing this team this loss today. As I said, every single guy that touched the field, with the exception of Justin Calhoun played poorly and trust me, will grade out individually, just as bad as Gus will on Sunday morning.

IdahoGrizFan said:
What I didn't see in this game........

I did not see any fire. Looked like everyone was going through the motions.
No swarming to the ball. Looked like everyone on both sides were standing and looking around.

Yes. Exactly. It was over early and you could see it. Instead of righting the ship after halftime we got pissy and committed a bunch of PFs. Piss poor execution on both sides of the ball and special teams. No sign of life had me shutting off the tube early 3rd quarter.

stilwtrgrizz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Biggest issue was no JLM. When faced with a better team, not having his passion and electricity was a killer. No reliable targets for Brady, this causes Brady to be nervous. We all know that nervous Brady throws 2 miles ahead of anyone. One of the bigfest weakness in the offense; if you can rattle Brady, he comes apart at the seams. SDSU did it, NDSU did it, and now NAU did it.

Defense played like TG was still the DC, over pursuit, out of position, and burned deep. Safety play and tackling was downright bad. Markell Sanders got burned A LOT. The secondary as a whole was picked apart by the 2nd string QB. Did anyone notice that there was next to no QB pressure? That's a big issue, especially with a backup QB in there. He needed to be hit hard and often, but was instead allowed to just sip tea in the backfield and throw deep balls to wide open receivers.

I would think that EWU is indeed licking their chops at the possibilities against this secondary next week.

DOUBLE DITTOS!

havgrizfan said:
G-BEARS said:
This is a good example that stats aren't always a good indicator of performance levels. Gustafson went 34 for 59 and 4 tds, but played very badly.

Yup, and so did every other player on the team with the exception of Justin Calhoun. That goes for Kidder, Justin Strong, Josh Buss, Semenza, the entire offensive line, Jesse Sims on the crucial offside, I could go on and on. Gus didn't even remotely come close to being alone in costing this team this loss today. As I said, every single guy that touched the field, with the exception of Justin Calhoun played poorly and trust me, will grade out individually, just as bad as Gus will on Sunday morning.

Agreed for the most part. Hard for the receivers to play well, when the ball is flying 7 feet over their heads though...

G-BEARS said:
havgrizfan said:
G-BEARS said:

Agreed for the most part. Hard for the receivers to play well, when the ball is flying 7 feet over their heads though...

Agreed, but hard for throws to ALWAYS BE ACCURATE WHEN the QB is getting drilled every time. Oh wait, Gus did throw three perfect balls when getting drilled. Don't believe me? Go watch the one's to Calhoun and Curran again. The OL couldn't even come close to handling NAU's pressure. On the other side, I've never seen Caleb Kidder be so ineffective and Ryan Johnson wasn't any better. Oh and everybody's boy Josh Sandry, two HUGE whiffs on those punt returns. If everybody is going to call out BG I'm gonna call out every other mistake made too.

havgrizfan said:
G-BEARS said:

So Jeremy Calhoun played a poor game? Other recievers could have had strong games with accurate throws.

Gus is a good QB if he can stand in the pocket like a statue. He'll only have a few over throws in that case. If he's forced to climb the pocket or shuffle sideways, its a complete shit show.

NW, Nope, but I'm pointing out other players who had a direct impact on the loss. Anyone who knows anything or saw anything knows it wasn't all on Gus. First, only a moron expects a QB to throw a perfect pass all 45 attempts every game game, and second only a moron expects an offense to score every single time it has the ball. Tom Brady and the Patriots don't do it, Alabama doesn't do it, and neither do the Griz. Gus did not throw perfect passes all day. Some of them were really bad overthrows. But he also some made some beast throws, and you just showed you must not have watched the game because Gus absolutely stepped up and got crushed on his long TD to Calhoun. He was defintiely NOT standing still in a clean pocket on that one and that was a flatout incredible throw. Jeez, at LEAST watch the damn game or the replay before making a comment like that.

I'm not saying that Gus played good. I'm not even saying he played OK. But there were so many other factors in this loss, it's silly that I even have to point them out. Oh wait, I shouldn't need to. Brint pointed them all out in his OP.

havgrizfan said:
G-BEARS said:
havgrizfan said:
G-BEARS said:

Agreed, but hard for throws to ALWAYS BE ACCURATE WHEN the QB is getting drilled every time. Oh wait, Gus did throw three perfect balls when getting drilled. Don't believe me? Go watch the one's to Calhoun and Curran again. The OL couldn't even come close to handling NAU's pressure. On the other side, I've never seen Caleb Kidder be so ineffective and Ryan Johnson wasn't any better. Oh and everybody's boy Josh Sandry, two HUGE whiffs on those punt returns. If everybody is going to call out BG I'm gonna call out every other mistake made too.

Quarterback is the most important position in football. It comes with all the praise and glory, but also the majority of criticism when the QB plays poorly. Today's performance by the QB didn't surprise anyone who has watched him play the last two years, it was almost expected. It wouldn't surprise me for him to light up most of the defenses left on our schedule. Then, if we make the playoffs and we face a solid defense he will perform like this again, probably worse. If you want to blame these types of QB performances on the rest of the team, go ahead. It really doesn't matter but they will continue to happen against any team with an average or better defense. One of the worst Griz QB's I've ever seen when under pressure.

havgrizfan said:
NW, Nope, but I'm pointing out other players who had a direct impact on the loss. Anyone who knows anything or saw anything knows it wasn't all on Gus.

I don't think anyone said this game was all on BG.

HelenaHandBasket said:
havgrizfan said:
NW, Nope, but I'm pointing out other players who had a direct impact on the loss. Anyone who knows anything or saw anything knows it wasn't all on Gus.

Helena, you're right, because Brint and I pointed out about 1,000 other things that went wrong besides overthrows. And oh, here's one more that NOBODY every does on this board. Give some credit to Jerome, Kemp and NAU. They may not have played like that against anyone else before today's game, but they sure as hell played a great football game tonight, and had a great game plan. NAU deserves a ton of respect no matter how s---ty the Griz played.

havgrizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
havgrizfan said:

Helena, you're right, because Brint and I pointed out about 1,000 other things that went wrong besides overthrows. And oh, here's one more that NOBODY every does on this board. Give some credit to Jerome, Kemp and NAU. They may not have played like that against anyone else before today's game, but they sure as hell played a great football game tonight, and had a great game plan. NAU deserves a ton of respect no matter how s---ty the Griz played.

Yep, because everyone else to too dumb to realize that. Thanks for setting us all straight Hav. I don't know what we would all do without you.

HelenaHandBasket said:
havgrizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
havgrizfan said:

Yep, because everyone else to too dumb to realize that. Thanks for setting us all straight Hav. I don't know what we would all do without you.

I didn't say anyone was too dumb to realize. But what's wrong with actually saying it? Other team's fans give the Griz respect all the time on this board, including MSU and EWU fans when they lose to us.

havgrizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
havgrizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I didn't say anyone was too dumb to realize. But what's wrong with actually saying it? Other team's fans give the Griz respect all the time on this board, including MSU and EWU fans when they lose to us.

Saying that BG played poorly is not the same as blaming him solely for the loss. Nothing is wrong with "actually saying it" but nothing is wrong if you don't. But thanks again for setting us all straight. Maybe we can talk about how NAU made Semore look like a rookie DC, out coached him bigly.

HelenaHandBasket said:
havgrizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
havgrizfan said:

Saying that BG played poorly is not the same as blaming him solely for the loss. Nothing is wrong with "actually saying it" but nothing is wrong if you don't. But thanks again for setting us all straight. Maybe we can talk about how NAU made Semore look like a rookie DC, out coached him bigly.

Fully agree with that. That's why I said great job NAU, had a great plan and Semore and the players had no answer for it. Couldn't agree with that more. Thought Andy Thompson called a great game too.

G-BEARS said:
That NAU team has some of the better athletes in the conference, up there with Eastern Washington.

Agree fully. Every member of the Griz secondary absolutely looked a step slower than the NAU skill players. Doesn't bode well for next week.

Can anyone give me an explanation as to why the f**k Nguyen was in when we were pinned back against our goal line, multiple runs when we were in the red zone, and a couple short yardage 3rd down plays??? Made no sense to me what-so-ever.

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
The Griz came out flat, flat, flat.....Give credit to NAU O though...

How are those national stat rankings holding up, i.e. the ones you posted? Scoring defense still as high?

Not good. I am sure. But let's see how they finish the year. Still a big spread over your boy's rankings though.....LOL

I am happy to stipulate that the UM defense is much better than the Cat defense. It was never going to be a close call, and never has been. I know you hate TG for some reason, but TG and the Cat D this year shouldn't be in the discussion.

Back