• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: The defense brings it home

mtgriz said:
After about 5 drops by our WRs, I am thinking that Chalich's ball is not the most catchable. QB analysts talk about delivering the ball in a catchable way, and Chalich doesn't have the greatest accuracy/touch. Also, his ball is rarely delivered as a tight spiral.

The back to back drops by Roberts and Jones were absolutely beautiful passes, right on the money and very tight passes. :thumb:

This Stitt high powered offense ain't arrived, forget special teams. Its the D or a hope and a prayer. This 'offensive offense' should be scoring 50+ points per game.

mtgrizrule said:
mtgriz said:
After about 5 drops by our WRs, I am thinking that Chalich's ball is not the most catchable. QB analysts talk about delivering the ball in a catchable way, and Chalich doesn't have the greatest accuracy/touch. Also, his ball is rarely delivered as a tight spiral.

The back to back drops by Roberts and Jones were absolutely beautiful passes, right on the money and very tight passes. :thumb:

Ok, without going back I will give you those 2. Like I said, after about 5 drops.

statler & waldorf said:
This Stitt high powered offense ain't arrived, forget special teams. Its the D or a hope and a prayer. This 'offensive offense' should be scoring 50+ points per game.
It'll get here. I'm certain Stitt isn't the kind of coach that is going to shift this program into reverse. We're just waiting for QB and OL to get rebuilt.

I still think OL play was the screamin shits. Well maybe not screamin shits, maybe just plain shits.

Are people really happy about how the Griz played today against a team that has not proved anything this year?

Grizbeer said:
Good write up, but I do think the Griz offense can get better. Unfortunately it starts with play calling 1st down hand off to JN, 2nd down bubble pass to Naccarato, now it is 3rd and long and converting that is a low percentage crapshoot at best. For a coach that is so intent on getting off to a fast start on offense that he would choose to give the other team the ball to start the second 1/2 in WA Griz against the advice of every person on earth, you would hope to start better than 3rd and long. Maybe handing off to Calhoun will change that.

Brint's write-up was very good as always. However, I hope you are right that the Griz O can get better, because we're not beating the Cats, EWU, or PSU with mid-20s.

fanofzoo said:
Boscoe said:
I think we need to throw deep more often, especially early in the game. I think if we take more chances downfield, it will open the run game faster. Hit or miss, we need to take more downfield shots early in the game.

Why though on 3rd down and 5. I thought this offense was geared to get the first down.
What exact 3rd and 5 are you referencing? At what point in the game, at 6:42 pm? Because I said we need to open up the pass game EARLY in the game. The game started at 2:00 pm, not 6:00 pm. Do you not understand the difference? I say we need to establish the pass game at the beginning of the game to make the defense more susceptible to the run.6:42 pm, during a gamre that started at 2:00 pm isn't quite early in the game, now is it??

Also, how many Naccarato screens did we attempt?? It was like that was our substitute for the run game since the OL couldn't push my grandma off the LOS

Naccarato IMO is not fast enough and isn't a really dynamic enough of a player to be getting all those screens. He had 13 catches today, but seems to me he drops a couple balls every game.

Like I said in the original post, think of those quick screens to Naccarato as our run game. When you look at it that way he had a healthy average per catch. Sure sometimes it's not a big gainer. Or even a loss... But that happens in the running game too

Montana37 said:
Naccarato IMO is not fast enough and isn't a really dynamic enough of a player to be getting all those screens. He had 13 catches today, but seems to me he drops a couple balls every game.

He only took one of them into the end zone to seal the deal against NAU last week.

BWahlberg said:
Montana37 said:

He only took one of them into the end zone to seal the deal against NAU last week.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day

AllWeatherFan said:
Yeah, damn Chase and his 13 receptions today. He sucks. :lol:

Yeah, 'cause you would be better. His 13 receptions and 84 yards weren't enough! We need an old fart out there pontificating!

rocklobster said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Yeah, damn Chase and his 13 receptions today. He sucks. :lol:

Yeah, 'cause you would be better. His 13 receptions and 84 yards weren't enough! We need an old fart out there pontificating!

Sorry if that was sarcasm.

BWahlberg said:
Montana37 said:

:thumb:

Mmont said:
Are people really happy about how the Griz played today against a team that has not proved anything this year?
It seems that I'm specializing in pointing out that our opponents so far have actually been pretty good. Everyone needs their niche, right? :)

Davis lost to UND last week by a TD. UND beat 3-0 PSU today and also easily handled FBS Wyoming, which, by the way, is coached by the tough, hard-nosed, fundamentally-sound Craig Bohl (for those who appreciate that kind of coaching). Davis also played reasonably well against FBS Nevada and Hawaii, matching Nevada in first downs and nearly matching Hawaii. Now, admittedly, our defense gets more of the credit than our offense for our win, but give the offense a break - they don't exactly have a Jordan Johnson to work with this year!

Mmont said:

I'm happy we're 3-2 and 2-0 in conference.

Back