• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: The defense brings it home

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Griz D: 35, 31, 20, 14, 13.....that's a great trend...

We should have a contest to find the next number in the sequence. 35, 31, 20, 14, 13......

I was thinking of that last night...instead of the Fibonacci Sequence it can be the Stitt Sequence....

35, 31, 20, 14, 13.....6?

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

We should have a contest to find the next number in the sequence. 35, 31, 20, 14, 13......

Except that the 31 and 20 are not in the right order.

grizeyes said:
ROBERTS had a great day! His high for catches and yards in a game(I think) this year. Glad to see CC looking for him more often. Might have had a drop, but other than that a great game.
Henderson, Jones, Roberts. :thumb:

Also if I am thinking of the right play it was not a drop by Roberts. About a 20 yard seem route that Roberts went up and got. Davis defender put his helmet right on the ball as Roberts was bringing the ball down and right when he was getting his feet back on the ground. Definitely not drop.

your description is accurate but thank goodness it was ruled a dropped pass---- otherwise would have been a fumble recovered by NAU. Looked like the call could have gone either way, as he (Roberts) made a clean catch and got immediately hammered.

UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope.
:thumb:
It has to be the farming influence. Growing up in Northcentral Montana, I used to listen to all the farmers bitch about too little rain, too much, etc. Then one year the conditions were perfect - you know what the complaint was? These conditions sure are taking a lot out of the soil! We apparently have some of those same farmers on this board.

84GRIZ said:
grizeyes said:
ROBERTS had a great day! His high for catches and yards in a game(I think) this year. Glad to see CC looking for him more often. Might have had a drop, but other than that a great game.
Henderson, Jones, Roberts. :thumb:

Also if I am thinking of the right play it was not a drop by Roberts. About a 20 yard seem route that Roberts went up and got. Davis defender put his helmet right on the ball as Roberts was bringing the ball down and right when he was getting his feet back on the ground. Definitely not drop.

Yeah not a drop, just a well timed hit by the defender. There was a drop on the following play but not by Roberts.

What I liked about Ben too was some plays allowed him to show his speed too, there was the 4th down pickup and another similar play where he turned upfield along the boundary line and out ran a defender.

UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Root Sport's play analyst Taylor Barton thinks that Ty is a real "master" at defense, and his explanations of why are the best I have seen. And much of this success is coming from second half "adjustments." Ty can read offenses, and may prove to be the best there is.
NDSU: 28/7
CP: 14/6
Liberty: 17/14
NAU: 0/14
UCD: 13/0

With the exception of a 2 minute span in the 3rd quarter of the NAU game the Griz D has come out of the locker room with their hair on fire this season.
It may well be that the best thing that ever happened to Bob Stitt is Ty Gregorak.

Pretty much what I said before the season started when people were saying coach G is on a short leash and needs to keep up with Stitt's O or he should be gone. As I figured, the D is even better than last year and holding up the team.

JayLarson said:
We saw nothing new at all this week, maybe next week and we had over 400 yards again, remember last season we were lucky to get 300.
Anyone concerned with the facts would not remember that since it's just loose hyperbole. UM's average total offense in 2014 was 394.4 yards per game. It rounds to 400; not 300. The 2014 UM QB finished third all-time in both passing yards and TDs in UM's history.

Let's hope our defense works on defending screen passes, aside from that I thought the defense looked solid.

Chalich looked better, he still has the deer-in-the-headlights look, Brady certainly wins with the "cool factor". It was nice to see him be able to pick up some yards with his feet, The fact that he was our leading rusher was not encouraging. Really hoping we see more of Jeremy Calhoun.

On the Jeremy Calhoun note, the run game was pathetic yesterday. Nguyen played waaaaay too many snaps. I'm hoping the 15 screen passes to Naccarato was an attempt to compensate. It was rough watching him get all the touches with guys like Hendu, Jones, and Roberts making plays every time they touched the ball.

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Shouldn't be that difficult; SUU 44, Weber 0 in Ogden.

UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Root Sport's play analyst Taylor Barton thinks that Ty is a real "master" at defense, and his explanations of why are the best I have seen. And much of this success is coming from second half "adjustments." Ty can read offenses, and may prove to be the best there is.
NDSU: 28/7
CP: 14/6
Liberty: 17/14
NAU: 0/14
UCD: 13/0

With the exception of a 2 minute span in the 3rd quarter of the NAU game the Griz D has come out of the locker room with their hair on fire this season.
It may well be that the best thing that ever happened to Bob Stitt is Ty Gregorak.

Or vice versa.

brewskis said:
Let's hope our defense works on defending screen passes, aside from that I thought the defense looked solid.

Chalich looked better, he still has the deer-in-the-headlights look, Brady certainly wins with the "cool factor". It was nice to see him be able to pick up some yards with his feet, The fact that he was our leading rusher was not encouraging. Really hoping we see more of Jeremy Calhoun.

On the Jeremy Calhoun note, the run game was pathetic yesterday. Nguyen played waaaaay too many snaps. I'm hoping the 15 screen passes to Naccarato was an attempt to compensate. It was rough watching him get all the touches with guys like Hendu, Jones, and Roberts making plays every time they touched the ball.
The run game changes with any RB other than Nguyen. It's not all on the OL. Possibly the activation of Calhoun is an indication that maybe they have finally figured out that running inside is not Nguyen's strength. Logwood, Favors and Calhoun all ran better.

kemajic said:
brewskis said:

The run game changes with any RB other than Nguyen. It's not all on the OL. Possibly the activation of Calhoun is an indication that maybe they have finally figured out that running inside is not Nguyen's strength. Logwood, Favors and Calhoun all ran better.
Nguyen seems good for one decent run each week, aside from that...giving him the ball just seems like a waste of a down. If we're going to burn Calhoun's redshirt then I hope we milk it, he looked legit yesterday.

PhxGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope.
:thumb:
It has to be the farming influence. Growing up in Northcentral Montana, I used to listen to all the farmers bitch about too little rain, too much, etc. Then one year the conditions were perfect - you know what the complaint was? These conditions sure are taking a lot out of the soil! We apparently have some of those same farmers on this board.

Way to be a dick! What exactly was a complaining about, all I said was the screen is not a substitute for the run game. Because it isn't, it is taking advantage of what the defense is doing on the outside. We rushed for over 175 yards, and some people want to say we were using a screen as a substitute for the run. On screen passes yesterday, we targeted Chase 13 times and 10 were caught 3 dropped, and on those 13 he had 44 yards, for an average of 3.38, this is counting screens and swing passes. On 4 other types of pass plays he had catches totally 45 yards, so those yards would not count toward rushing yards.

I am sick of people cherry picking their stats, and as for being wrong about last years teams total yards a game, how many of those yards came from JJ trying to lead a 4th quarter comeback?

kemajic said:
mikegriz said:
Grizbeer said:
Good write up, but I do think the Griz offense can get better. Unfortunately it starts with play calling 1st down hand off to JN, 2nd down bubble pass to Naccarato, now it is 3rd and long and converting that is a low percentage crapshoot at best. For a coach that is so intent on getting off to a fast start on offense that he would choose to give the other team the ball to start the second 1/2 in WA Griz against the advice of every person on earth, you would hope to start better than 3rd and long. Maybe handing off to Calhoun will change that.

Brint's write-up was very good as always. However, I hope you are right that the Griz O can get better, because we're not beating the Cats, EWU, or PSU with mid-20s.
We have yet to see a defense as bad as MSU or EWU.

i am not sure about that...........if true, the announcer said a few times that the UC Davis defense was pretty beat up missing more than a couple of their starting players...........so are you saying that them not being at full strength missing key players are better than MSU and EWU?

krammer said:
is jansen healthy? can he play the slot? where is he on the depth chart these days?

Some posters have eluded that Janssen is in the dog house for some reason. Before the first game, Stitt was asked about him and he said that Josh was number two behind Nacarrato. Then the depth chart appeared a couple of days later and Lyons was 2. Nothing more has been seen or heard about Josh since that point.

zirge said:
kemajic said:
mikegriz said:
... Brint's write-up was very good as always. However, I hope you are right that the Griz O can get better, because we're not beating the Cats, EWU, or PSU with mid-20s.
We have yet to see a defense as bad as MSU or EWU.
i am not sure about that...........if true, the announcer said a few times that the UC Davis defense was pretty beat up missing more than a couple of their starting players...........so are you saying that them not being at full strength missing key players are better than MSU and EWU?
True statement about how bad the MSU and EWU defenses are, whether you meaure by scoring or yardage given up.

Scoring Defense
#85 Cal Poly 31.8 ppg given up.
#87 UC-Davis 32.6 ppg given up. [Griz lowered that by scoring only 27]
#94 NAU 34.8 ppg given up.
#99 MSU 36.5 ppg given up. [1]
#109 EWU 42.3 ppg given up.
#115 ISU 44.8 ppg given up. [2]

Total Defense
#70 395.8 ypg allowed. [Griz raised that by gaining 441 yards]
#97 MSU 464 ypg allowed.
#99 ISU 465.2 ypg allowed.
#108 NAU 484.6 ypg allowed.
#112 Cal Poly 500.6 ypg allowed.
#123 EWU 567 ypg allowed (last).

[1] Could be much worse, but held Fort Lewis to “only” 14 points. Would be 44.0 (#114) without that.
[2] Shut out Black Hills State, or this would be even worse because they got obliterated (56.0 ppg) in their other games. Those did, admittedly, include two really bad FBS losses.

Back