• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: The defense brings it home

I will second BH on being happy we are 2 and 0 in Conf. and 3 --- 2 over all.

Lets face facts...we are not perfect....yet. That part is coming.

Our team is good and I will take that to the bank.

Can you imagine being the msu cants tonight?

I'll take the Griz!

BWahlberg said:
Mmont said:
Are people really happy about how the Griz played today against a team that has not proved anything this year?

I'm happy we're 3-2 and 2-0 in conference.

MMont, please do us all a favor and quit posing as a Griz fan. On one thread where the 'Scats lost you push an agenda of "what if's" and "if only's" trying to pump up a team that, in giving up 49 to a team we dominated just last week, apparently has forgotten it has to field a Defense to go along with that awesome offense, then you come on this thread and talk about how the Griz played so poorly (and WON, mind you) against a team that hasn't proven anything this year?

Just admit your a 'scat fan and be done with it.

mikegriz said:
Grizbeer said:
Good write up, but I do think the Griz offense can get better. Unfortunately it starts with play calling 1st down hand off to JN, 2nd down bubble pass to Naccarato, now it is 3rd and long and converting that is a low percentage crapshoot at best. For a coach that is so intent on getting off to a fast start on offense that he would choose to give the other team the ball to start the second 1/2 in WA Griz against the advice of every person on earth, you would hope to start better than 3rd and long. Maybe handing off to Calhoun will change that.

Brint's write-up was very good as always. However, I hope you are right that the Griz O can get better, because we're not beating the Cats, EWU, or PSU with mid-20s.
We have yet to see a defense as bad as MSU or EWU.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz D: 35, 31, 20, 14, 13.....that's a great trend...
Root Sport's play analyst Taylor Barton thinks that Ty is a real "master" at defense, and his explanations of why are the best I have seen. And much of this success is coming from second half "adjustments." Ty can read offenses, and may prove to be the best there is.

UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Root Sport's play analyst Taylor Barton thinks that Ty is a real "master" at defense, and his explanations of why are the best I have seen. And much of this success is coming from second half "adjustments." Ty can read offenses, and may prove to be the best there is.

NDSU: 28/7
CP: 14/6
Liberty: 17/14
NAU: 0/14
UCD: 13/0

With the exception of a 2 minute span in the 3rd quarter of the NAU game the Griz D has come out of the locker room with their hair on fire this season.

kemajic said:
mikegriz said:
Grizbeer said:
Good write up, but I do think the Griz offense can get better. Unfortunately it starts with play calling 1st down hand off to JN, 2nd down bubble pass to Naccarato, now it is 3rd and long and converting that is a low percentage crapshoot at best. For a coach that is so intent on getting off to a fast start on offense that he would choose to give the other team the ball to start the second 1/2 in WA Griz against the advice of every person on earth, you would hope to start better than 3rd and long. Maybe handing off to Calhoun will change that.

Brint's write-up was very good as always. However, I hope you are right that the Griz O can get better, because we're not beating the Cats, EWU, or PSU with mid-20s.
We have yet to see a defense as bad as MSU or EWU.

Good point Kem.

Some of you are missing the point on the screens a few of them worked today because the defense was playin off, but they are not working when the d is close and Chase has 1 decent gain on a pass that wasn't a screen. So his 84 yards are not to replace the run game. So quit trying to spin it that way. Too many passes to Chase and no passes to running backs. Lyons would be better than Chase out there he has better vision and is tougher to bring down. Sometimes this team reminds of pflu's first team with Roper throwing nothing but screens vs the Cats.

The center play was very good today, and the line missed some blocks, but the overall design of the running game is the cause of the lack of success. Trying to run when there are unblocked defenders by design means you have to fool them, rather than block them. Chalich gets happy feet imo and had some misfires for sure. It was not pretty but another win is a win. We saw nothing new at all this week, maybe next week and we had over 400 yards again, remember last season we were lucky to get 300.

Montana37 said:
Naccarato IMO is not fast enough and isn't a really dynamic enough of a player to be getting all those screens. He had 13 catches today, but seems to me he drops a couple balls every game.

Good Christ man. When you get that many balls thrown your way, you're BOUND to drop a few...

AZGrizFan said:
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
NDSU: 28/7
CP: 14/6
Liberty: 17/14
NAU: 0/14
UCD: 13/0

With the exception of a 2 minute span in the 3rd quarter of the NAU game the Griz D has come out of the locker room with their hair on fire this season.
It may well be that the best thing that ever happened to Bob Stitt is Ty Gregorak.

JayLarson said:
Some of you are missing the point on the screens a few of them worked today because the defense was playin off, but they are not working when the d is close and Chase has 1 decent gain on a pass that wasn't a screen. So his 84 yards are not to replace the run game. So quit trying to spin it that way. Too many passes to Chase and no passes to running backs. Lyons would be better than Chase out there he has better vision and is tougher to bring down. Sometimes this team reminds of pflu's first team with Roper throwing nothing but screens vs the Cats.

The center play was very good today, and the line missed some blocks, but the overall design of the running game is the cause of the lack of success. Trying to run when there are unblocked defenders by design means you have to fool them, rather than block them. Chalich gets happy feet imo and had some misfires for sure. It was not pretty but another win is a win. We saw nothing new at all this week, maybe next week and we had over 400 yards again, remember last season we were lucky to get 300.

Some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope.

Contrary to your misguided opinion, those plays ARE a substitute for run plays, oh and in addition we ran the ball for 176 FUCKING YARDS. Seriously....what is it exactly that you're looking for?

449 yards of offense vs 339. We won the turnover battle 4-1. We won first downs 25-18. We had more sacks. More passing yards. More rushing yards. And probably most important :roll: we scored more points than the other guys.

I say the next time Chalich throws an incomplete pass we crucify the bastard. Nail him to a cross. Those (incomplete passes) simply can NOT be accepted.

AZGrizFan said:
JayLarson said:

Some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope.

Contrary to your misguided opinion, those plays ARE a substitute for run plays, oh and in addition we ran the ball for 176 f***[*] YARDS. Seriously....what is it exactly that you're looking for?

449 yards of offense vs 339. We won the turnover battle 4-1. We won first downs 25-18. We had more sacks. More passing yards. More rushing yards. And probably most important :roll: we scored more points than the other guys.

I say the next time Chalich throws an incomplete pass we crucify the bastard. Nail him to a cross. Those (incomplete passes) simply can NOT be accepted.

:thumb: No kidding. Relax everyone. Kids are playing their hearts out.

Sorry if someone already answered this, but did we (a) see the first fly sweep (sure looked like it), and (b) did it count as passing yardage?

CDAGRIZ said:
Sorry if someone already answered this, but did we (a) see the first fly sweep (sure looked like it), and (b) did it count as passing yardage?

We've run the fly sweep before, I think in the Poly game and it went for a loss

Yes it should have counted as pass yards.

BWahlberg said:
CDAGRIZ said:

We've run the fly sweep before, I think in the Poly game and it went for a loss

Yes it should have counted as pass yards.

Got it. I missed that v. Poly. Thanks!

Umista said:
I will second BH on being happy we are 2 and 0 in Conf. and 3 --- 2 over all.

Lets face facts...we are not perfect....yet. That part is coming.

Our team is good and I will take that to the bank.

Can you imagine being the msu cants tonight?

I'll take the Griz!

This!

ROBERTS had a great day! His high for catches and yards in a game(I think) this year. Glad to see CC looking for him more often. Might have had a drop, but other than that a great game.
Henderson, Jones, Roberts. :thumb:

Back