• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Postseason

Fat Bruno said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
There are not two Griz teams. There is one that looks good against bad teams and bad against good teams. We're middling this year, and will make or miss the playoffs by a hair. Time to give Chalich a legitimate chance. Some guys go along not doing too much, then suddenly they begin to get it. He looked sharp in his one chance earlier. Let's see if he's finally connected the dots.

Just stfu dude.

Stick it up the bad lands, Bad Grammar.

How bout we drop off you and your love affair for Chalich in the middle of the badlands???

This team goes as far as Brady goes...end of story.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
The funny thing is that a win against EWU followed by 3 more should win games and we can all look at this meltdown of a week and laugh. We can still be a 9-2 seeded team. I would honestly say that's a 50% chance at that happening right now.

Holy Sh!t I love the optimism. Where can I get some?

I think 7-4 is also 50%...anyone who thinks this Griz team cannot drop a game to unc, isu or the cats to finish the season isn't paying attention...

HookedonGriz said:
The team we saw yesterday will be fortunate to go 7-4 on the year and will be a bubble team at that point based on their strength of schedule (SRS). They haven't beat a good team yet. They needed to make a statement and beat CP and/or NAU and could do neither. If they get to 8-3 they will host a playoff game.... i'm just not 100% convinced that they can get to 8-3.

We KNEW this was going to be a tough year because every single difficult game was on the road. Right now they're 1-2 on the road. If we can take care of business at home and go 1-1 on the road in the next three weeks, we're in the playoffs. Then, all bets are off.

SoldierGriz said:
I think 7-4 is also 50%...anyone who thinks this Griz team cannot drop a game to unc, isu or the cats to finish the season isn't paying attention...

Nate Silver says there's a 95% chance we beat Northern Colorado, Idaho State and the Kittens.

Okay, that's a lie. But would you bet much money on any of these three teams to beat us? I sure as hell wouldn't. Just like I wouldn't bet a lot of money on the Griz beating EWU on the road.

SoldierGriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
The funny thing is that a win against EWU followed by 3 more should win games and we can all look at this meltdown of a week and laugh. We can still be a 9-2 seeded team. I would honestly say that's a 50% chance at that happening right now.

Holy Sh!t I love the optimism. Where can I get some?

Lol...I say that thinking the game against EWU is 50-50....if we beat them surely we will be so amped with momentum that we will run the rest of the table.....a bad loss to EWU however..than my bhole may pucker a little....

I honestly think we have a very good chance of beating EWU if our defense plays like it has in many games this season...we can beat them.

I know a lot of people are bashing our secondary after the last game...but our secondary will be the best EWU has played all year. We have a very good secondary when they play like they should.

HelenaHandBasket said:
They are if the Griz are a playoff team. We shall see. But it is not because UNC is a good team, because they are not, average at best. We will still find out if the Griz are a good team or an average team.

That "average" team was able to beat NAU and they have done pretty well in every FCS game they have played. Currently they are sitting at 3-3 in terms of D1 Competition with 4 games left, they have to win out to even have a chance so no we can't take them lightly.

AllWeatherFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Nate Silver says there's a 95% chance we beat Northern Colorado, Idaho State and the Kittens.

Okay, that's a lie. But would you bet much money on any of these three teams to beat us? I sure as hell wouldn't. Just like I wouldn't bet a lot of money on the Griz beating EWU on the road.

No, I wouldn't bet the Griz lose any of the last three. But, I also WOULD HAVE bet the Griz beat nau. So, what the fu@k do I know. :lol:

SoldierGriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

No, I wouldn't bet the Griz lose any of the last three. But, I also WOULD HAVE bet the Griz beat nau. So, what the fu@k do I know. :lol:

Ha - me too! :D

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
There are not two Griz teams. There is one that looks good against bad teams and bad against good teams. We're middling this year, and will make or miss the playoffs by a hair. Time to give Chalich a legitimate chance. Some guys go along not doing too much, then suddenly they begin to get it. He looked sharp in his one chance earlier. Let's see if he's finally connected the dots.

Just stfu dude.

How bout we drop off you and your love affair for Chalich in the middle of the badlands???

Would we find you there, having a love affair with your heifer?

UTGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
They are if the Griz are a playoff team. We shall see. But it is not because UNC is a good team, because they are not, average at best. We will still find out if the Griz are a good team or an average team.

That "average" team was able to beat NAU and they have done pretty well in every FCS game they have played. Currently they are sitting at 3-3 in terms of D1 Competition with 4 games left, they have to win out to even have a chance so no we can't take them lightly.

UNC is an average team. And a team should never take anyone lightly. Also, having watched the UNC/NAU game, it was much more about NAU shooting themselves in the foot than UNC being the better team.

Helena is right. UNC is a third-tier BIG Sky team. PERIOD. I guess it's better than being a bottom tier team like they once were. And of course the Griz won't take them lightly. College football players don't take anything "lightly", no matter what the fans perceive.

Thank you to all that have posted and provided reasons for why an 8-3 Griz team would make the playoffs. I'm still not totally convinced that a team that could easily finish 5th in the Big Sky at 8-3 will make it, behind EWU, Cal Poly, N. Dakota and Weber but there is a lot of football to be played and I'm content to watch it all play out. Although we don't like to admit it, a playoff berth, without a first round bye and home field advantage to at least the semi-finals will,in my opinion, result in the same outcome as last year unless miraculously the Griz actually figure out how to play on the road .

I still believe that at some point we need to position ourselves for next season and I think some misinterpreted my point of playing a QB that would gain experience for next year. I was not suggesting to start Chalich who is a senior and not part of the future. For me, and I understand this would not be the position of most of you, I don't care if we are 8-3, 7-4, 6-5, or 5-6 (losing out including the Cats); mediocrity is relative. What I was suggesting was to start Phillips even though he has not looked that great. Some have observed he has a great arm, make all the throws and actually be able to run. What difference does it really make. A playoff game, whether in Missoula or on the road, I suppose makes some money and the NCAA is probably inclined to give a first round home game to a team that can draw 18,000 (even on a Thanksgiving weekend) based on past reputation. Past reputation means very little to me. We need to expect more because there seems to be this great acceptance of some that 8-3 is tolerable. If that were the case maybe we should hire Rob Ash.

I don't mean to be controversial and I appreciate the comments of those who "played the game" and are much more knowledgeable than me of the inner workings of an FCS team. But from what we saw last week it becomes increasingly difficult to hold out much hope to even get in to the playoffs this year, much less move beyond a first round game that may be more based on what this team has done in the past and attendance figures than any legitimate ability to compete.

Fat Bruno said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Just stfu dude.

Lol is there a weirdest post nominee option? Hahaha

sdk.catfish said:
Thank you to all that have posted and provided reasons for why an 8-3 Griz team would make the playoffs. I'm still not totally convinced that a team that could easily finish 5th in the Big Sky at 8-3 will make it, behind EWU, Cal Poly, N. Dakota and Weber but there is a lot of football to be played and I'm content to watch it all play out. Although we don't like to admit it, a playoff berth, without a first round bye and home field advantage to at least the semi-finals will,in my opinion, result in the same outcome as last year unless miraculously the Griz actually figure out how to play on the road .

I still believe that at some point we need to position ourselves for next season and I think some misinterpreted my point of playing a QB that would gain experience for next year. I was not suggesting to start Chalich who is a senior and not part of the future. For me, and I understand this would not be the position of most of you, I don't care if we are 8-3, 7-4, 6-5, or 5-6 (losing out including the Cats); mediocrity is relative. What I was suggesting was to start Phillips even though he has not looked that great. Some have observed he has a great arm, make all the throws and actually be able to run. What difference does it really make. A playoff game, whether in Missoula or on the road, I suppose makes some money and the NCAA is probably inclined to give a first round home game to a team that can draw 18,000 (even on a Thanksgiving weekend) based on past reputation. Past reputation means very little to me. We need to expect more because there seems to be this great acceptance of some that 8-3 is tolerable. If that were the case maybe we should hire Rob Ash.

I don't mean to be controversial and I appreciate the comments of those who "played the game" and are much more knowledgeable than me of the inner workings of an FCS team. But from what we saw last week it becomes increasingly difficult to hold out much hope to even get in to the playoffs this year, much less move beyond a first round game that may be more based on what this team has done in the past and attendance figures than any legitimate ability to compete.

You're giving too much credit to the conference itself in terms of who may land in playoffs, based on your comment that an 8-3 Griz team wouldn't make it due to other Big Sky teams being in front of them. The only thing that secures a spot in the playoffs in terms of conference standings is the conference champion, who gets an auto bid. The rest is based on overall record, national ranking, and strength of schedule (simple rating system).

This is mainly due to the fact that there are 13 teams in the Big Sky and it's an unbalanced schedule. Not everyone plays each other so you can't go off just conference records and placement. Recall last year that SUU won the conference but didn't even play EWU or the Griz. They were bounced in the first round. At least the Griz beat a good SDSU team before losing to the national champion. Same this year, UND and Weber are ahead in conference standings but both avoid EWU and UM.

That is why national rankings come into play. An 8-3 Griz team would be ranked top 15 nationally and would never be left out of the playoffs. Those other teams you mentioned (UND and Weber) may end up with a better place in the conference but would probably not be ranked ahead of the Griz nationally or in SRS. That's the key differences. In fact, currently EWU is 3, CP is 14, Griz are 16, and UND is 17 in the STATS FCS poll. Weber is not even ranked. Hope that helps.

What a bunch of whiny willy nillies here. We will go 9-2. Take it to the bank, or my name isn't Cordell B Folsom.

As a Griz FAN...I always expect them to win. They will be fired up this week, and I see a fairly easy victory against EWU. I'm more worried about the Cat game.

HookedonGriz said:
You're giving too much credit to the conference itself in terms of who may land in playoffs, based on your comment that an 8-3 Griz team wouldn't make it due to other Big Sky teams being in front of them. The only thing that secures a spot in the playoffs in terms of conference standings is the conference champion, who gets an auto bid. The rest is based on overall record, national ranking, and strength of schedule (simple rating system).

This is mainly due to the fact that there are 13 teams in the Big Sky and it's an unbalanced schedule. Not everyone plays each other so you can't go off just conference records and placement. Recall last year that SUU won the conference but didn't even play EWU or the Griz. They were bounced in the first round. At least the Griz beat a good SDSU team before losing to the national champion. Same this year, UND and Weber are ahead in conference standings but both avoid EWU and UM.

That is why national rankings come into play. An 8-3 Griz team would be ranked top 15 nationally and would never be left out of the playoffs. Those other teams you mentioned (UND and Weber) may end up with a better place in the conference but would probably not be ranked ahead of the Griz nationally or in SRS. That's the key differences. In fact, currently EWU is 3, CP is 14, Griz are 16, and UND is 17 in the STATS FCS poll. Weber is not even ranked. Hope that helps.
I learned a lot from this post re: BSC & playoffs.

sdk.catfish said:

Your part about chucking the mediocre season is assanine too for a million reasons, but I'll give you one really big one that blows your theory out of the water. There is absolutely NOBODY on that coaching staff that has made Reese Phillips the starter next year, or promised him anything. Reese is going to battle for the job against Gresch Jensen, and for sure one, possibly TWO transfers. And Phillips knows this already.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:

Lol is there a weirdest post nominee option? Hahaha

And, if we do find you there, it's pure coincidence, not a double date.

Back