• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Postseason

I was around in those days and remember them well. The biggest debate and gripe in 95 was that we wouldn't get to see DD in the second half. We knew we were going to win, the question, by how many points. However, there were occasional losses and disappointments.

What we didn't have back then was social media and egriz. So you didn't hear all the negativity unless it was someone in your personal life and then it was done in person. There were gripes and complaining but it didn't go on all week or all season like it does on egriz. After a few beers you were on to discussing the next game. We actually thought the 95 Championship game was a "once in a lifetime" event. That's how I sold it to my wife to justify the money I spent to go. It was unheard of before that time. Now it is expected. Not necessarily a bad thing but that gives you some perspective.

grizfan47 said:
I was around in those days and remember them well. The biggest debate and gripe in 95 was that we wouldn't get to see DD in the second half. We knew we were going to win, the question, by how many points. However, there were occasional losses and disappointments.

What we didn't have back then was social media and egriz. So you didn't hear all the negativity unless it was someone in your personal life and then it was done in person. There were gripes and complaining but it didn't go on all week or all season like it does on egriz. After a few beers you were on to discussing the next game. We actually thought the 95 Championship game was a "once in a lifetime" event. That's how I sold it to my wife to justify the money I spent to go. It was unheard of before that time. Now it is expected. Not necessarily a bad thing but that gives you some perspective.
:thumb:

Yup, we older fans had it good. Havgriz could not have explained it better. We had no expectations. DD was the Jedi Master. I have long wondered how many records he would have set if he had played full games. Fans today just don't understand we were up by 40 points at halftime almost every game. Dave would sit after the first series of the second half and the second/third string would score 30 more. Randy Moss was unstopable. I have often said, "He scored four TDs, and he would of scored 5 if they had thrown to him 5 times." I was totally amazed when the 2001 team, with Johnny and Yo, went all the way. Bobby was handed a pretty good team and went 5-2, 6-1 and 5-2 in conference his first three years. What I'm saying is, you just don't know what is going to unfold from year to year. I think Coach Stitt has an above average chance to get the Griz back to a highly competitive position. And I will be here when he does.

The Griz lost 2 regular season games in 1995. They were seeded something like 7th or 8th and had to get a couple of major upsets to host games. It wasn't like they were destroying teams all year long.

Just sayin.

EverettGriz said:
The Griz lost 2 regular season games in 1995. They were seeded something like 7th or 8th and had to get a couple of major upsets to host games. It wasn't like they were destroying teams all year long.

Just sayin.

Correct. But they never gave up they fought tooth and nail every game. DD had a lot to do with that. Man did not know the word quit.

RayWill said:
EverettGriz said:

Just sayin.

Correct. But they never gave up they fought tooth and nail every game. DD had a lot to do with that. Man did not know the word quit.

Can't argue that whatsoever, Ray. My point is that people tend to remember the past as they'd like to. The Griz got absolutely blasted at Idaho or Boise in 1995 (I'm to lazy to look it up), a loss far worse than our NAU loss this season. Had this board existed then, do you think we'd be reading some of the very same things about that team and even DD that we're reading here this week following the NAU loss?

My hunch is that we would.

EverettGriz said:
RayWill said:
EverettGriz said:

Just sayin.

Can't argue that whatsoever, Ray. My point is that people tend to remember the past as they'd like to. The Griz got absolutely blasted at Idaho or Boise in 1995 (I'm to lazy to look it up), a loss far worse than our NAU loss this season. Had this board existed then, do you think we'd be reading some of the very same things about that team and even DD that we're reading here this week following the NAU loss?

My hunch is that we would.

It was to Idaho. They hammered Boise 54-28. I agree. Everyone would be complaining that DD was too small, the receivers too slow, we had no running game etc.

People are weird. In general, they have literally none or no perspective. Some of us have been around for a lo-o-ong time (60+ years).4 We cheered for the Griz in the early 60s (when we mostly always lost) and we cheered for the Griz in the late 90s and early 2000s (when we most always won). The rest of you simply do not understand. People like us (me) will always be Griz fans. We honestly do not worry about whether or not the team wins or loses, although, of course, we always hope the Griz win. We know who we are, and we know who we root for. And, we are Griz fans!!!

Back