• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pre Season Polls - Big Sky

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
But that being said, I never said I thought we were on par with any of those teams. YOU said that. But we don't PLAY those teams (EWU/NAU/WSU), because of the unbalanced schedule. And 4th-7th is a pretty broad range...I'd definitely take the over on 7th. I think we'll be a lot closer to 4th, and possibly higher depending on how the Idaho & SUU games go. We are very fortunate that our schedule is back-loaded with the more difficult games late in the year, giving the kids max live-action game time in BH's system.

My point was, that when you have a team that is more on par with Poly, Davis, and Sac, you can not say any game is a gimmie. The schedule that Montana plays, even without EWU, NAU, and Weber on it, will be a difficult one for the overall talent of this team currently. Everyone thinking 8 wins will be a cake walk are off their rocker.

There's nothing wrong with the talent level on this roster. Many of these guys were 2-3 star kids coming out of HS. People on this site (and national sites) RAVED about Stitt's recruiting prowess (and his love of WR's :lol: ). But to call it "average"? Really? Or have you just jumped on the BH-excuse bandwagon?

My thoughts on overall talent precedes the hiring of BH. The Griz have been a middle of the road team in the BSC over the past few seasons, and it was not all about the X's and O's. I find it funny that someone that defended Stitt and was not keen about his firing would now suggest that the failures were not about overall team talent at all....what was the issue?

I've already acknowledged the issues...and I guess unlike you I believe they largely lay in the offensive and defensive schemes. Both of which looked like world-beaters against mediocre teams but bogged down against the top tier teams. Players being misused, miscast, underused, etc., etc. His love of the check-down dump off pass and Semore's love of the all-out blitz on 3/30 and playing soft (and watching EWU eat his D alive). Stitt's failure to acknowledge the importance of ST's and how that hurt us repeatedly....

I'm presuming BH will fix those issues, coach up the kids who are here (who ARE talented, BTW), and instill the will to win again by changing team culture. He's had an offseason, a spring ball and will have fall camp to do all those things. He's brought in excellent talent to fill the gaps that DID exist. And with all that, I expect improvement.

get'em_griz said:
VictorG said:
Neither here nor there but I wonder how many current Big Sky Coaches have coached against a Hauck led team?

I did some quick searching, and it looks like Jerome Sauers and Tim Walsh are the only current head coaches in the Big Sky to have coached against Bobby Hauck. The only other Head Coach who would be familiar with him would be Idaho State’s Rob Phenicie.

As assistants, all most all the coaches have seen him either at Montana or UNLV.
Here’s a list of all current BS coaches and what years they faced off and what positions they held and their records.

EWU/Aaron Best (1-5)
‘03-‘06/‘08 EWU O Line Coach
‘09 EWU O Cord/O Line Coach

IU/Paul Petrino (0-0)
none

ISU/Rob Phenicie (0-0)
‘03-‘09 UM O Cord/QB Coach
‘10-‘11 UNLV O Cord/QB Coach
‘12 UNLV QB Coach
‘13-‘14 UNLV TE Coach

PSU/Bruce Barnum (1-3)
‘03-‘06 ISU O Cord

Sac St/Jody Sears (2-4)
‘03 EWU D Cord/LB Coach
‘04-‘06 EWU D Cord/S Coach
‘07 EWU D Cord/DE Coach
‘11 Wash St CB Coach

Cal Po/Tim Walsh (1-3)
‘03-‘06 PSU HC

UC-D/Dan Hawkins (0-0)
none

SUU/Demario Warren (1-1)
‘08/‘11 SUU DB Coach

WSU/Jay Hill (1-0)
‘10 Utah CB/ST Coach

NAU/Jerome Souers (1-7)
‘03-‘09/‘12 NAU HC

MSU/Jeff Choate (2-0)
‘11 Boise St LB/ST Coach
‘12 Wash St LB Coach

UNC/Earnest Collins Jr (0-1)
‘14 UNC HC

UND/Kyle Schweigert (0-0)
none

AZGrizFan said:
I've already acknowledged the issues...and I guess unlike you I believe they largely lay in the offensive and defensive schemes.

False, I believed coaching was an issue during the Stitt years, but also believe that the overall quality of talent on the roster is not top-tier. We will just have to agree to disagree. Could this team win 8 games and make the playoffs, sure they could, but as of this moment in time, I struggle to see this team win more than 6-7 games. I hope your mother-in-law makes a mean turkey.

alabamagrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
The Bobby Bump is real, at least in the media poll.

I think this team with any other coach would’ve been picked behind SAC, SUU, and the cats.

Apparently the other coaches aren't believers.

I think the coaches poll is more accurate.

It usually is, more often than not.

Last year, their predicted Top 5

North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Cal Poly
Weber State

Actual Top 5 finish

Southern Utah
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Sacramento State

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
I've already acknowledged the issues...and I guess unlike you I believe they largely lay in the offensive and defensive schemes.

False, I believed coaching was an issue during the Stitt years, but also believe that the overall quality of talent on the roster is not top-tier. We will just have to agree to disagree. Could this team win 8 games and make the playoffs, sure they could, but as of this moment in time, I struggle to see this team win more than 6-7 games. I hope your mother-in-law makes a mean turkey.

I don't know what that means. :? :? :?

DuCharme said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Cal Poly
Weber State

Actual Top 5 finish

Southern Utah
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Sacramento State

What was the media top 5?

HelenaHandBasket said:
DuCharme said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Cal Poly
Weber State

Actual Top 5 finish

Southern Utah
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Sacramento State

So if you take into consideration that UND was decimated by injuries and give the coaches a pass on that one, their only miss was Cal Po.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
The Bobby Bump is real, at least in the media poll.

I think this team with any other coach would’ve been picked behind SAC, SUU, and the cats.

We don't play EWU, NAU or Weber. If we can't finish better than 7th with THAT schedule, then BH has failed, IMHO.

Word. :agree:

alabamagrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
DuCharme said:
alabamagrizzly said:

North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Cal Poly
Weber State

Actual Top 5 finish

Southern Utah
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Sacramento State

So if you take into consideration that UND was decimated by injuries and give the coaches a pass on that one, their only miss was Cal Po.

Well according to Slostang CP was also decimated by injuries. But really, who wasn't? I mean, isn't that part of the game/planning?

Ringneck said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

We don't play EWU, NAU or Weber. If we can't finish better than 7th with THAT schedule, then BH has failed, IMHO.

Word. :agree:

Once again, THAT schedule is not a gimmie. They are probably lucky they don't play EWU, NAU, and/or Weber.

Last year, we had the 9th best offense in the country and the 3rd best in the Big Sky.
• I've always contended that our defensive-coordinator-in-learning was the difference. We were 6th in the Big Sky in defense.
• Both numbers are not bad. Bobby's "knowing how to win" may be a key factor.

Total Offense, national rank: 3. UC Davis, 5. Eastern Wash., 9. Montana, 14. Sacramento St., 18. Southern Utah, 20. Idaho St., 21. Northern Ariz., 22. Portland St., 43. Weber St., 44. Montana St., 50. Northern Colo., 52. North Dakota, 69. Cal Poly.

Total Defense, national rank: 40. Weber St., 74. Northern Ariz., 87. Montana St., 89. Sacramento St., 91. Southern Utah 97. Montana, 104. Cal Poly, 109. North Dakota, 113. UC Davis, 115. Eastern Wash., 118. Northern Colo., 121. Idaho St., 122. Portland St.

oGriz said:
Last year, we had the 9th best offense in the country and the 3rd best in the Big Sky.
• I've always contended that our defensive-coordinator-in-learning was the difference. We were 6th in the Big Sky in defense.

Total Offense, national rank: 3. UC Davis, 5. Eastern Wash., 9. Montana, 14. Sacramento St., 18. Southern Utah, 20. Idaho St., 21. Northern Ariz., 22. Portland St., 43. Weber St., 44. Montana St., 50. Northern Colo., 52. North Dakota, 69. Cal Poly.

Total Defense, national rank: 40. Weber St., 74. Northern Ariz., 87. Montana St., 89. Sacramento St., 91. Southern Utah 97. Montana, 104. Cal Poly, 109. North Dakota, 113. UC Davis, 115. Eastern Wash., 118. Northern Colo., 121. Idaho St., 122. Portland St.

Those defensive numbers are horrendous. Only the top two(barely) are outside of the bottom 3rd of the FCS. No wonder WSU is the only team to make a respectable showing in the playoffs.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
DuCharme said:

North Dakota
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Cal Poly
Weber State

Actual Top 5 finish

Southern Utah
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Sacramento State

Well according to Slostang CP was also decimated by injuries. But really, who wasn't? I mean, isn't that part of the game/planning?

Well for one, we weren’t. Yes we did lose our starting QB but there was no drop off to Gresch. Can’t remember if Markell tried to play last year but that was the only significant loss on D. Some guys played banged up but they still played. By the time UND played us, they were down 10 starters plus some backups. You can’t plan for that, unless your Mike McCarthy.

I don't give a crap where we are ranked, we better show up and play like we know how to so we can get back to playoff contention. Preseason rankings are unreliable and obviously inaccurate, it all matters at the end.

Big Sky Kickoff

Eastern Washington consensus preseason Big Sky favorite
https://skylinesportsmt.com/eastern-washington-consensus-preseason-big-sky-favorite/

A couple poll questions?

Do you think losing their QB effected the cats ranking in either poll?? ( if so how much? )
Is this about were you thought Idaho would be ranked in each poll? ( my guess was 3or4 in both polls)
I actually thought Weber might get the first place nod in one of the two polls.

oGriz said:

It’s almost like defense is important...who knew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mavman said:
A couple poll questions?

Do you think losing their QB effected the cats ranking in either poll?? ( if so how much? )
Is this about were you thought Idaho would be ranked in each poll? ( my guess was 3or4 in both polls)
I actually thought Weber might get the first place nod in one of the two polls.

No the votes were in before the loss of Murray. They may have been ranked worse otherwise. I think they and us are in about the right spot based on last couple of years

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Do you just choose to have extremely low expectations? So you don’t get your hopes up or something?

Back