• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pre Season Polls - Big Sky

AllWeatherFan said:
Bad mouth? I only asked a rhetorical question in response to some wild speculation.

I know, I was just stating that in your post so everyone who reads it, knows what I am referring too.

I don't think we've gotten an official ruling on whether or not you're a "bad fan," Helena. When is the next eGriz Steering Committee meeting?

debellatio said:
Any time a new coach comes in with a new system the first year is more of a throw away year. I will be fine with a 6-5 season as long as the players play with the intensity and start to get the swagger back that the teams had 10 years ago. The team takes on the attitude of the coach. BH would have never done the air hand shake that Stitt did with Phenicie. He would have shook his hand, looked him in the eye, and said F#ck You.

I won't be happy with worse than 7-4!

I wonder if the seventh place by the coaches is the coaches final assessment on Coach Stitt's tenure as coach of the Griz?

mcg said:
I wonder if the seventh place by the coaches is the coaches final assessment on Coach Stitt's tenure as coach of the Griz?

Probably. That's also where we are-the last game played was under Stitt. Of course things will be different, but it is impossible to accurately quantify that in a pre-season poll.

AllWeatherFan said:
I don't think we've gotten an official ruling on whether or not you're a "bad fan," Helena. When is the next eGriz Steering Committee meeting?

Ever since the unfortunate events during the 2010 season and my decision to opt out of the newsletter, they have been reluctant to keep me in the loop. Even if I did find the location, they definitely have not shared the secret handshake with me.

debellatio said:
Any time a new coach comes in with a new system the first year is more of a throw away year. I will be fine with a 6-5 season as long as the players play with the intensity and start to get the swagger back that the teams had 10 years ago. The team takes on the attitude of the coach. BH would have never done the air hand shake that Stitt did with Phenicie. He would have shook his hand, looked him in the eye, and said F#ck You.

I disagree on the throw away season, I think the Griz will surprise many, including us fans!! I do agree about the team taking on the attitude of the coach. This is why Stitt had to go, the attitude of the team in all aspects was horrible. Far more accountability and team atmosphere this summer than last talking with players. All the players I’ve spoken to speak highly of Huack and love the change in attitude.

That....whatever it was Stitt did after the ISU game was embarrassing.....

Now there is knowledge coming out. By November Montana will be a dangerous team to play.

We just have to hope they don't take on too many L's early to take them out of contention.

It is so revealing to read the expectation and satisfaction levels posted by several of you. So, an 8-3 or 7-4 season for the Griz spells success? Are all of you suffering from amnesia, and forgetting just how dominant we were for 15+ years? Hauck won the Big Sky title every year he was coach. He also lead the Griz to national championship games, and we were never ranked lower than #5 nationally during his tenure. And now, the new standard for success is going 7-4, finishing in the top 3-4 in the Big Sky, and slipping into the playoffs in a field expanded to 24 teams???

Not me! My standard for success is becoming a national power every year, like we used to be. there is no reason for that happening, with the best facilities in all of FCS football, and a proven head coach. But, it will not until Bobby is able to resurrect the recruiting dominance we used to enjoy..... and that will take some time. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will our program be re-built in a year. The athletes are JUST NOT THERE YET.

Alabama under The Bear dominated the national polls. Then, they slipped into mediocrity for many years, only to become the elite football machine they are under Sabin. It can be done, but it is a building process, which starts in hiring the right head coach, and moving upward from there. We have taken the first step, and I believe the rest will follow........ in 2-3 years.

Remember, Hauck inherited a Cadillac roster in his first stint, but has inherited a used Mazda this time around.

Yukon said:
Griz will be top 10 by end of season.

These polls are for Big Sky rankings. So yes, 100% agree with you, the Griz will be in the top 10 of these rankings by seasons end. Trouble in Grizville if not.

4theluvofgriz said:
It is so revealing to read the expectation and satisfaction levels posted by several of you. So, an 8-3 or 7-4 season for the Griz spells success? Are all of you suffering from amnesia, and forgetting just how dominant we were for 15+ years? Hauck won the Big Sky title every year he was coach. He also lead the Griz to national championship games, and we were never ranked lower than #5 nationally during his tenure. And now, the new standard for success is going 7-4, finishing in the top 3-4 in the Big Sky, and slipping into the playoffs in a field expanded to 24 teams???

Not me! My standard for success is becoming a national power every year, like we used to be. there is no reason for that happening, with the best facilities in all of FCS football, and a proven head coach. But, it will not until Bobby is able to resurrect the recruiting dominance we used to enjoy..... and that will take some time. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will our program be re-built in a year. The athletes are JUST NOT THERE YET.

Alabama under The Bear dominated the national polls. Then, they slipped into mediocrity for many years, only to become the elite football machine they are under Sabin. It can be done, but it is a building process, which starts in hiring the right head coach, and moving upward from there. We have taken the first step, and I believe the rest will follow........ in 2-3 years.

Remember, Hauck inherited a Cadillac roster in his first stint, but has inherited a used Mazda this time around.

So sayeth Bluto Blutarski!

Grizzly96 said:
debellatio said:

I disagree on the throw away season, I think the Griz will surprise many, including us fans!! I do agree about the team taking on the attitude of the coach. This is why Stitt had to go, the attitude of the team in all aspects was horrible. Far more accountability and team atmosphere this summer than last talking with players. All the players I’ve spoken to speak highly of Huack and love the change in attitude.

it always gets me when people sit back and criticize former players for their "attitude" and "accountability. " . So you don't think players like kidder, Brandt Davidson, Tucker schye didn't bust their asses for their team., How about Gustafson who came back after breaking his leg, how's his "accountability".
I remember a coach saying something like "the other team has scholarship players too". Every ex-player I know tells me how much it meant for them to line up and play every Saturday, if it didn't mean anything why are they busting their ass off every year in the weight room or wherever to get ready. .
Sorry for the rant. Just my take.

braves84 said:
Grizzly96 said:
debellatio said:

it always gets me when people sit back and criticize former players for their "attitude" and "accountability. " . So you don't think players like kidder, Brandt Davidson, Tucker schye didn't bust their asses for their team., How about Gustafson who came back after breaking his leg, how's his "accountability".
I remember a coach saying something like "the other team has scholarship players too". Every ex-player I know tells me how much it meant for them to line up and play every Saturday, if it didn't mean anything why are they busting their ass off every year in the weight room or wherever to get ready. .

To answer your question...Yes, I believe they busted their asses. All of the players you named. However, the TEAM attitude and mentality was what I was talking about. As an ex-player I also agree it was a privilege to line up on Saturdays and it did mean something. With that said, some coaches have the ability to create an attitude and mentality that the whole team wants to run through a brick wall for them. When that happens teams come together and succeed. On the other hand, some coaches make it feel like you are hitting a brick wall(no involvement outside of practice, distant to players, make it seem like it’s just a job, do as I say not as I do, etc...)and they start busting their ass for themselves because their is no “TEAM”.

This is not a shot at any player and I have no doubt of the efforts, but when a head coach is that way it makes playing as a team tough. I’ve heard from players that Huack has personally waited for players at the M at 5am for being late to class, meetings, etc....That’s the attitude I’m talking about and it was lacking under Stitt. When your head coach is waiting on you, that’s when shit gets real. Huack also has an open door policy for any player and actually gets to know them, that was not the case under Stitt. Their was always a disconnect with Stitt and the team, outside of a very few select players.

I honestly believe that some very good players and possible teams the last few years underachieved because of this kind of attitude. I have not heard of any players missing summer conditioning or PRP’s this summer like in the last few years. While a coach can’t technically make them do it, it can be more than understood it is expected. That’s the attitude I’m talking about and believe that will be the difference this season and this team will surprise. They will start the RTD!!!

I hope your right, with the skilled guys they have coming back on offense. Guys like Calhoun, Bingham and jlm. And If the qb Is even decent they should put up enough pts. I think everybody's concern is the defense especially the uncertainty of buss. Excited to see the transfer from Arizona at linebacker, and my surprise pick for player to watch would be Gavin crow.

braves84 said:
Grizzly96 said:
debellatio said:

Agreed 100%

Grizzly96 said:
braves84 said:
Grizzly96 said:
debellatio said:

To answer your question...Yes, I believe they busted their asses. All of the players you named. However, the TEAM attitude and mentality was what I was talking about. As an ex-player I also agree it was a privilege to line up on Saturdays and it did mean something. With that said, some coaches have the ability to create an attitude and mentality that the whole team wants to run through a brick wall for them. When that happens teams come together and succeed. On the other hand, some coaches make it feel like you are hitting a brick wall(no involvement outside of practice, distant to players, make it seem like it’s just a job, do as I say not as I do, etc...)and they start busting their ass for themselves because their is no “TEAM”.

This is not a shot at any player and I have no doubt of the efforts, but when a head coach is that way it makes playing as a team tough. I’ve heard from players that Huack has personally waited for players at the M at 5am for being late to class, meetings, etc....That’s the attitude I’m talking about and it was lacking under Stitt. When your head coach is waiting on you, that’s when shit gets real. Huack also has an open door policy for any player and actually gets to know them, that was not the case under Stitt. Their was always a disconnect with Stitt and the team, outside of a very few select players.

I honestly believe that some very good players and possible teams the last few years underachieved because of this kind of attitude. I have not heard of any players missing summer conditioning or PRP’s this summer like in the last few years. While a coach can’t technically make them do it, it can be more than understood it is expected. That’s the attitude I’m talking about and believe that will be the difference this season and this team will surprise. They will start the RTD!!!

And 100% agree with this one too. :thumb:

Back