• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruiting

Daniel Nwosu will be in town the 18th - 20th on a visit
http://tbirds.cc/mbb-13/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NikeGrizz said:

translation: we didn't get aubrey dawkins.

citay said:
NikeGrizz said:

translation: we didn't get aubrey dawkins.

I don't think they recruit only 1 player at a time...

NikeGrizz said:
Interesting. Looks like he is a freshman now, so adding him would give us three 6'1" or under guards in the same class.

Curtis Norvell will be in town end of April on a visit
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/curtis-norvell/_qGNAvTlEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is very little info out there (internet) on this guy. I wonder what the attraction is for the Griz coaching staff.

I understand that every player a coaching staff will talk will probably have an upside. But, why, with its glaring deficiencies would UM be interested in a 6'1" SF? I hope he has something special that the coaches see that is apparently not seen by others....or, maybe he is just willing to "give it a shot"....no harm done and he might just be something special..We will find out. Until then, I hope UM can find a strong duo under the basket.

when it comes to recruiting, i am not a "montana first" guy. every single school in the country depends on out of state recruits to be competitive, and montana with its low population base is probably more dependent on out of state kids that most programs. i'm thrilled to have a kareem jamar, brian qvale, will cherry and mario dunn in the program.

at the same time, i've often felt that both in football and basketball there is an inherent bias against montana kids, born of a montana inferiority complex that is roughly the size of flathead lake. this first came up back in the "move up" debate on the football board a dedcade or so ago, when the common attitude was, "we're jes lil ole montana. our kids jes can't compete with them big old wac schools." of course, this was before we sent seven montana kids off one roster to the n.f.l., with two more to follow this year, and not to mention the montana kids that starred at bigger programs.

now comes what seems like a bad recruiting year for us. only one early signee, an under-recruited kid deemed a project by everybody. and now, in the late period, we're going after a kid from new mexico rated the 30th best in his state. so at this point i'm thinking, "hey, maybe it's time to look again at some of these montana kids."

okay, carson dummer has signed with carroll, but do we want a 6'1" kid out of new mexico when we've got a 6'8" homegrown kid who just led his team to a state championship, avering 18 points and seven rebounds a game? ah, isn't it widely accepted on this board that we desperately need post help? don't we already have four young backcourt players on scholarship?

so if you want to stay small, why not look at this kid randall gardipee from box elder? kid is 6'2", shot 60% from the field, and made the super-state team, leading his undefeated team to a state title.

i gotta say, i am mysitified by what's going on with our recruiting this year--in a year that i hope our built-in bias against montana kids isn't working against us.

Devils advocate here, but is it possible the 30th best prospect in New Mexico is better than the top prospects in Montana?

grizindabox said:
Devils advocate here, but is it possible the 30th best prospect in New Mexico is better than the top prospects in Montana?
possibly, but should we be recruiting the 30th best recruit in NM anyway? :eek: That said, the recruiting site ratings are questionable at best!

This is my one beef with Tinks. He is a great coach and I am glad we have him but he has definitely helped perpetuate the MT kids suck myth.

And how long is he going to punish Bradshaw for spurning us for USU, my gawd. We seem to be digging real deep to find a guy his size and position to bring in to avoid giving him that scholarship. I understand there is no reason to pay for something you can get for free, but damn man, the 30th best player in NM?? Would that really be an upgrade?

temp said:
This is my one beef with Tinks. He is a great coach and I am glad we have him but he has definitely helped perpetuate the MT kids suck myth.

And how long is he going to punish Bradshaw for spurning us for USU, my gawd. We seem to be digging real deep to find a guy his size and position to bring in to avoid giving him that scholarship. I understand there is no reason to pay for something you can get for free, but damn man, the 30th best player in NM?? Would that really be an upgrade?

Are we sure he is not on scholarship? Verbalcommits.com says he is and if he isn't then we would've only had 11 scholarship players one of whom had to sit out a year. Seems unlikely to me.

Oscar Pedroso (JUCO) 6' 4" Guard Cuesta JC
Tre Burnette (JUCO) (RS) 6' 5" Guard/Forward Williston St.
Bryce Leavitt (JUCO) 6' 4" Guard, North Idaho
Houston Lavachek (JUCO) Freshman Qualifier 6' 9" Forward Williston St.
Shakir Smith (JUCO) (RS) 6' 1" Guard Pima CC Put up huge #'s averaging 29 PPG with 4.5 Assists last year. Dismissed from Wyoming, after multiple run-ins with the law.
Montigo Alford (JUCO) 5' 10" Point Guard Southern Idaho
Jay Wright (JUCO) 6' 1" Freshman Qualifier Casper College Averaged a shade under 25 PPG last year

Couple more names i stumbled on today linked to the Griz.

MtTarheel said:
temp said:

Are we sure he is not on scholarship? Verbalcommits.com says he is and if he isn't then we would've only had 11 scholarship players one of whom had to sit out a year. Seems unlikely to me.
Verbalcommits never had that right. Bradshaw was a walk-on and Emerson is on scholarship. And yes, after Wiley left we only had 11 scholarship players eligible because Bruenig had to sit.

Like I said, I get it. It would be like if you ran a business and a talent that left your offer on the table for greener pastures on the other side of the country calls you up, and says, I am coming home and I need to work for you. There would be no need to make him the same lucrative deal you had before. For the sake of the program it is probably the right course of action, just stings a bit and I personally would worry about the effects this stuff would have on team chemistry. Basketball is a small team, so the players get very close with each other. This sort of thing would irritate me to no end if I was one of those players. They are going to want their guys, right or wrong.

Is Emerson on scholarship for next year too? If so that means we only have 2 scholarships left to give right?. Tinkle mentioned he was trying to get a Jamar like wing and a post player... so that makes the recruiting of another small guard like the NM guy even more strange... unless another scholarship has been freed up?

I like Emerson a lot, wish him the best and have all the respect in the world for him but...he should not be on scholarship in a normal year. I understand giving him one when we have one freed up so late in the process. No way he is a full time scholarship player.

Latest posts

Back