• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Returning to an elite FCS program

ranco said:
monte is a character said:
Interesting that virtually nobody addressed my formula for returning UM to a dominating program. Instead, they digressed into a pissing contest about what makes a program elite. Our program is only elite in the minds of the fans living in the past. We have won two playoff games in the past 5 years. And that is elite???? Hell, we can't even win the conference outright any longer! :roll:

My formula for returning us to an elite program who dominates the Big Sky, makes the playoffs every year, goes deep into the playoffs on a regular basis, and plays in the NC game at least once every five years or so, is contained in the first post to start this thread.

I feel very confident that, if these suggestions were implemented, we would be a much stronger program three years from now than if we keep the current coaching staff in place. No question about that fact in my mind.

your plan looks like it was thought up by an imbecile, might be one reason no one addressed.

That is an intelligent rebuttal. Show some fortitude, place your plan out there to be judged.

You did seem to read the thread, not commenting on his first post, waiting as you didn't want to be the only person to feel that way. That tells me you are afraid to be a leader with your ideas. Instead, you are a person that jumps on the bandwagon waiting for someone to make the leap first.

You should read the quote below, and learn how intelligent people discuss things.
NativeGriz said:
I don't entirely agree. I feel we are already an elite program, though maybe not the dominant football team we had in the past. But since we are an elite program, it will not take as much to get us back to dominance.
1Delaney-I never felt he was the right fit, but he has done an ok job.
2 National search, I agree I feel it would be big mistake to hire from within
3 keep 3 coaches-Don't agree-leave that up to next coach.
4 agree
5. agree and disagree. Some things are already good.
6. No opinion.

Elite programs have down years every once in a while...would you not call Texas an elite college football program? Their athletic dept makes more money than any other schools....top facilities....winning tradition...historic players....championships...and one of the winningest records in the history of college football....not to mention one of the best and largest fan bases in the US..thats what makes a program ELITE and we have those same attributes...our college logo and brand was something like the 57th most recognized in the US and the #1 out of FCS schools....MSU or dipshit EWUs weren't even in the conversation...that's why were elite you Spokane fucktard....ask people from around the country for their top 3 ELITE FCS football programs...I promise you everyone will name MONTANA in those 3.....not one will name MSU or EWU...need any more reasons why were elite you EWU Ironeagle piece of shit???

Robsnotes4u said:
ranco said:
Interesting that virtually nobody addressed my formula for returning UM to a dominating program. Instead, they digressed into a pissing contest about what makes a program elite. Our program is only elite in the minds of the fans living in the past. We have won two playoff games in the past 5 years. And that is elite???? Hell, we can't even win the conference outright any longer! :roll:

My formula for returning us to an elite program who dominates the Big Sky, makes the playoffs every year, goes deep into the playoffs on a regular basis, and plays in the NC game at least once every five years or so, is contained in the first post to start this thread.

I feel very confident that, if these suggestions were implemented, we would be a much stronger program three years from now than if we keep the current coaching staff in place. No question about that fact in my mind.

your plan looks like it was thought up by an imbecile, might be one reason no one addressed.

That is an intelligent rebuttal. Show some fortitude, place your plan out there to be judged.

You did seem to read the thread, not commenting on his first post, waiting as you didn't want to be the only person to feel that way. That tells me you are afraid to be a leader with your ideas. Instead, you are a person that jumps on the bandwagon waiting for someone to make the leap first.

You should read the quote below, and learn how intelligent people discuss things.
NativeGriz said:
I don't entirely agree. I feel we are already an elite program, though maybe not the dominant football team we had in the past. But since we are an elite program, it will not take as much to get us back to dominance.
1Delaney-I never felt he was the right fit, but he has done an ok job.
2 National search, I agree I feel it would be big mistake to hire from within
3 keep 3 coaches-Don't agree-leave that up to next coach.
4 agree
5. agree and disagree. Some things are already good.
6. No opinion.

Rob, your post is meaningless and provides nothing of value to the subject. Don't bother telling egriz regulars how to post. Try cleaning up your own posts and style.

For all of you believing UM isn't an elite program now, please list the current elite programs in FCS. I'll start. NDSU. Okay, let's see lists of other elite programs.

PlayerRep said:
For all of you believing UM isn't an elite program now, please list the current elite programs in FCS. I'll start. NDSU. Okay, let's see lists of other elite programs.
isn't elite the best? why does there have to be more than one? we all agree that ndsu is elite. they set the bar pretty high. why would um be comparable to ndsu right now?

this is the difference between being "elite" and being a very good, recognizable program. um is certainly that. they are a great program. I just am not sure they are the same as ndsu right now.

PlayerRep said:
ranco said:

I agree.

Tell, and effectively announce publicly with a national search, that the current coach, who is 5-2 and 3-0 in conference, and was 10-3 last year with a seed in the playoffs, during the season? Are you kidding? Talk about goofing up recruiting, and causing all of the current assistants to start putting out feelers.

Starting looking in mid-season, when coaches are working to win their own games and bound not to be talking to other teams about jobs? I can just imagine the response when Haslam calls NDSU's AD this week, to see if UM can start talking to NDSU's coaches.

National searches in the this day and age, with fast and widespread communications, occur in most situations anyway. Interested coaches contact the searching schools and their designees very quickly. Don't think a national search means or adds much.

This plan would be a good way to setback UM for an additional X number of years.

So now you agree that UM has been in a "set back" slump? Your contradictions are blatant PR. I really hope you aren't a trial lawyer.....

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:
isn't elite the best? why does there have to be more than one? we all agree that ndsu is elite. they set the bar pretty high. why would um be comparable to ndsu right now?

this is the difference between being "elite" and being a very good, recognizable program. um is certainly that. they are a great program. I just am not sure they are the same as ndsu right now.

On the field no were not...everywhere else..yes we are...our program makes more money than every other FCS program in the nation....if schools have to start paying their athletes..that will prob make a pretty huge difference ....wouldn't you say....what makes a program elite is an array of categories! And ya moron more than one program can be elite...its a top teir...ever heard of the elite 8...or should they just start calling it.."The 7 that are pretty good, and 1 elite team"? that rolls off the tongue!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Elite programs have down years every once in a while...would you not call Texas an elite college football program? Their athletic dept makes more money than any other schools....top facilities....winning tradition...historic players....championships...and one of the winningest records in the history of college football....not to mention one of the best and largest fan bases in the US..thats what makes a program ELITE and we have those same attributes...our college logo and brand was something like the 57th most recognized in the US and the #1 out of FCS schools....MSU or dipshit EWUs weren't even in the conversation...that's why were elite you Spokane f***[*]....ask people from around the country for their top 3 ELITE FCS football programs...I promise you everyone will name MONTANA in those 3.....not one will name MSU or EWU...need any more reasons why were elite you EWU Ironeagle piece of shit???

ohhhh, think I hit a nerve. Take it easy bro. I just commented on what I feel is an elite program. I even complimented UM on consistently fielding a competitive and talented team, which is 100% based in reality. Get a grip man. And your assertions that UM would be recognized over EWU is totally conjecture. EWU has made much more noise over the past few years than UM, including NC wins / appearances. I would definitely take the pepsi challenge with EWU logo vs Griz logo and see which one is more recognizable. I think you would be in for a surprise. But then again, that is just my opinion, so just relax and take your prozac.

Elite does not mean that "YOU" are the best but that you are in a group that can be considered elite. YES, the GRIZ do fit that category like it or not. With only a few exceptions, the past couple decades the GRIZ have been in or at least finished in the top 10 in the country out of what, over a 120 plus teams. And given that we are also much removed from larger markets with several FBS schools just around the corner to draw a drop down athlete. All this while under how many head coaches???. Show me another school that has done, what UofM has under these same conditions.
And the fact that "YES" there is not one team in the BSC outside the GRIZ that will get another team more fired up to beat even in a down year. IT IS BECAUSE OF GRIZ NATION THAT THE REST OF THE BIG SKY HAS UPPED THEIR GAME.

IroneagleXP said:
PlayerRep said:
ranco said:

I agree.

Tell, and effectively announce publicly with a national search, that the current coach, who is 5-2 and 3-0 in conference, and was 10-3 last year with a seed in the playoffs, during the season? Are you kidding? Talk about goofing up recruiting, and causing all of the current assistants to start putting out feelers.

Starting looking in mid-season, when coaches are working to win their own games and bound not to be talking to other teams about jobs? I can just imagine the response when Haslam calls NDSU's AD this week, to see if UM can start talking to NDSU's coaches.

National searches in the this day and age, with fast and widespread communications, occur in most situations anyway. Interested coaches contact the searching schools and their designees very quickly. Don't think a national search means or adds much.

This plan would be a good way to setback UM for an additional X number of years.

So now you agree that UM has been in a "set back" slump? Your contradictions are blatant PR. I really hope you aren't a trial lawyer.....

Nope, I have been completely consistent. Have said for more than a decade that UM fans should enjoy what they had (because being at such a high level for so long was not sustainable); and UM would be impacted by the 2 coaching changes; the changing of the offense twice; the firing of the coach and AD; the loss of 4 scholarships for 3 years; the various investigations and bad press coverage; the "leadership" of Engstrom; etc. The team, Delaney and the coaches, and the athletic department have done a very good job of holding things relatively together, so far. UM is still in the working to hold it together mode, in my view.

IroneagleXP said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Elite programs have down years every once in a while...would you not call Texas an elite college football program? Their athletic dept makes more money than any other schools....top facilities....winning tradition...historic players....championships...and one of the winningest records in the history of college football....not to mention one of the best and largest fan bases in the US..thats what makes a program ELITE and we have those same attributes...our college logo and brand was something like the 57th most recognized in the US and the #1 out of FCS schools....MSU or dipshit EWUs weren't even in the conversation...that's why were elite you Spokane f***[*]....ask people from around the country for their top 3 ELITE FCS football programs...I promise you everyone will name MONTANA in those 3.....not one will name MSU or EWU...need any more reasons why were elite you EWU Ironeagle piece of shit???

ohhhh, think I hit a nerve. Take it easy bro. I just commented on what I feel is an elite program. I even complimented UM on consistently fielding a competitive and talented team, which is 100% based in reality. Get a grip man. And your assertions that UM would be recognized over EWU is totally conjecture. EWU has made much more noise over the past few years than UM, including NC wins / appearances. I would definitely take the pepsi challenge with EWU logo vs Griz logo and see which one is more recognizable. I think you would be in for a surprise. But then again, that is just my opinion, so just relax and take your prozac.

You're out of your mind man.....nobody gives a shit about EWU...except the 300 fans it has that live two blocks away from the tampon in trailer parks.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

On the field no were not...everywhere else..yes we are...our program makes more money than every other FCS program in the nation....if schools have to start paying their athletes..that will prob make a pretty huge difference ....wouldn't you say....what makes a program elite is an array of categories! And ya moron more than one program can be elite...its a top teir...ever heard of the elite 8...or should they just start calling it.."The 7 that are pretty good, and 1 elite team"? that rolls off the tongue!

moron huh? :clap:

it's clear you're getting worked up over the thought that um may not be considered elite anymore. so you got it. you are definitely elite. you and ndsu are two peas in a pod.

please refrain from name calling. I'm not sure I can handle it... :cry:

BadlandsGrizFan said:
our college logo and brand was something like the 57th most recognized in the US and the #1 out of FCS schools....MSU or dipshit EWUs weren't even in the conversation...

I assume you are using the CLC rankings ? EWU is not a client of CLC. MSU not in the conversation when they are 3rd in those rankings for FCS schools?

IroneagleXP said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

NC winS/appearanceS?? Last time I checked, you had ONE of each of those. :roll:

IroneagleXP said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Hit a nerve or not, I agree with what he said. EWU has a quality and dominant football program right now, but they have never been an elite program. Hard to imagine you ever will be since you play In a HS stadium etc. The one thing EWU has going for them vs UM is a recruiting hot bed that can include non-qualifier walk-ons paying instate tuition. But still they are stuck in a cowtown.

big kahuna said:
So, you want to tell the head coach that his contract won't be renewed, while he has his team in first place?

I'm no fan of MD, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. What if the team keeps winning? Then what?

When people say that Grizzly fans are spoiled, this is the shit they are talking about.

You ever heard of Frank Solich? Check out his record the last year as head coach of Nebraska before he was let go. It has way more to do than being in first place along with three other teams after three conference games! Delaney is a tired old has-been (not that there's anything wrong with that) who will never get us back to where we were even if he coaches until the age of 100! Mack Brown. Howard Shellenberger. Bobby Bowden. Woody Hayes. All had to go. My opinion is shared by many Griz fans in my circle, none of who waste their time posting on this board.

You answered your own question, Nebraska endured years of very mediocre performance after firing Solich. Be careful what you wish for.

IroneagleXP said:
I would definitely take the pepsi challenge with EWU logo vs Griz logo and see which one is more recognizable. I think you would be in for a surprise.

I think most people who see the EWU logo as they drive down I-90 just think it is some kind of warning sign about road kill magpies.

Grizbeer said:
IroneagleXP said:
I would definitely take the pepsi challenge with EWU logo vs Griz logo and see which one is more recognizable. I think you would be in for a surprise.

I think most people who see the EWU logo as they drive down I-90 just think it is some kind of warning sign about road kill magpies.
:lol:

Funny 'cause it's true.

We're not an elite FCS program huh? The lack of perspective here is hilarious.

The Pflu/O'Day firings and the NCAA sanctions led to a couple of down years. Boohoo. But guess what? We just had 26K fans show up for UC Davis. UC f'ing Davis! That says everything about the state of this program. Keep dreaming. We'll be back on top for another 10 year run and destroying your dog shit "programs" before you know.

Latest posts

Back