• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Returning to an elite FCS program

griz5700 said:
We're not an elite FCS program huh? The lack of perspective here is hilarious.

The Pflu/O'Day firings and the NCAA sanctions led to a couple of down years. Boohoo. But guess what? We just had 26K fans show up for UC Davis. UC f'ing Davis! That says everything about the state of this program. Keep dreaming. We'll be back on top for another 10 year run and destroying your dog shit "programs" before you know.

Yeah, some of these jokers should take a look at our upcoming recruiting class, then try to claim we can't attract top athletes anymore. What was Pflug thinking choosing us over EWU? I mean, they have bidets in their locker room. Bidets!!

griz5700 said:

The Pflu/O'Day firings and the NCAA sanctions led to a couple of down years. Boohoo. But guess what? We just had 26K fans show up for UC Davis. UC f'ing Davis! That says everything about the state of this program. Keep dreaming. We'll be back on top for another 10 year run and destroying your dog shit "programs" before you know.
This.

Htowngriz said:
griz5700 said:

Yeah, some of these jokers should take a look at our upcoming recruiting class, then try to claim we can't attract top athletes anymore. What was Pflug thinking choosing us over EWU? I mean, they have bidets in their locker room. Bidets!!
We've got a RS who was named freshman of the week three weeks in a row and the boy is a walk on. You all are gonna love this kid.!

IroneagleXP said:
Is UM elite? No. Have they been elite before? Yes. There is a difference between being elite and being a good talented program. And I know this will be a shocker for you Griz fans but just because your program was elite back in the day doesn't mean it is now (that was exclusively for you PR). NDSU is currently elite, but their dominance will eventually end and one day they will cease to be elite. UM always seems to be in the mix, and it would be fair to say that UM always puts a quality team on the field, but currently elite? No. That's just Griz homer bias.

You are correct. It embarrasses me that it takes an EWU fan to educate many of the posters on this board. I already gave my criteria for being an elite program in another post. Programs which were once among the elite were Youngstown, Georgia southern, App. State. We were in that group at one time, but no longer. I get a kick out of the posters who try to use facilities and fan base as criteria for being an elite program. It is ALL ABOUT WINNING! Nothing more, nothing less.

mcg said:
monte is a character said:
big kahuna said:
So, you want to tell the head coach that his contract won't be renewed, while he has his team in first place?

I'm no fan of MD, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. What if the team keeps winning? Then what?

When people say that Grizzly fans are spoiled, this is the shit they are talking about.

You ever heard of Frank Solich? Check out his record the last year as head coach of Nebraska before he was let go. It has way more to do than being in first place along with three other teams after three conference games! Delaney is a tired old has-been (not that there's anything wrong with that) who will never get us back to where we were even if he coaches until the age of 100! Mack Brown. Howard Shellenberger. Bobby Bowden. Woody Hayes. All had to go. My opinion is shared by many Griz fans in my circle, none of who waste their time posting on this board.

You answered your own question, Nebraska endured years of very mediocre performance after firing Solich. Be careful what you wish for.

Does that mean that we will do the same? The Huskers made bad hires. We do not have to do so.

mcg said:
big kahuna said:
So, you want to tell the head coach that his contract won't be renewed, while he has his team in first place?

I'm no fan of MD, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. What if the team keeps winning? Then what?

When people say that Grizzly fans are spoiled, this is the shit they are talking about.

You ever heard of Frank Solich? Check out his record the last year as head coach of Nebraska before he was let go. It has way more to do than being in first place along with three other teams after three conference games! Delaney is a tired old has-been (not that there's anything wrong with that) who will never get us back to where we were even if he coaches until the age of 100! Mack Brown. Howard Shellenberger. Bobby Bowden. Woody Hayes. All had to go. My opinion is shared by many Griz fans in my circle, none of who waste their time posting on this board.

You answered your own question, Nebraska endured years of very mediocre performance after firing Solich. Be careful what you wish for.

Does that mean that we will do the same? The Huskers made bad hires. We do not have to do so.
I think the point is that all hires are a bit of a crapshoot. I don't think Nebraska set out to hire duds. They no doubt were convinced that they had hired the next program savior. I don't know that I believe the Griz are necessarily any smarter that anyone else when hiring. Maybe luckier given the past string of success. While I am not the biggest fan of Micky D, he has been far from a disaster and maybe there is hope of even improving (which I would probably mostly attribute to his staff). This may be a case of (an old) "bird in the hand..."

IroneagleXP said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Elite programs have down years every once in a while...would you not call Texas an elite college football program? Their athletic dept makes more money than any other schools....top facilities....winning tradition...historic players....championships...and one of the winningest records in the history of college football....not to mention one of the best and largest fan bases in the US..thats what makes a program ELITE and we have those same attributes...our college logo and brand was something like the 57th most recognized in the US and the #1 out of FCS schools....MSU or dipshit EWUs weren't even in the conversation...that's why were elite you Spokane f***[*]....ask people from around the country for their top 3 ELITE FCS football programs...I promise you everyone will name MONTANA in those 3.....not one will name MSU or EWU...need any more reasons why were elite youj EWU Ironeagle piece of shit???

ohhhh, think I hit a nerve. Take it easy bro. I just commented on what I feel is an elite program. I even complimented UM on consistently fielding a competitive and talented team, which is 100% based in reality. Get a grip man. And your assertions that UM would be recognized over EWU is totally conjecture. EWU has made much more noise over the past few years than UM, including NC wins / appearances. I would definitely take the pepsi challenge with EWU logo vs Griz logo and see which one is more recognizable. I think you would be in for a surprise. But then again, that is just my opinion, so just relax and take your prozac.

Did I miss something? I only remember one NC appearance and win. When were the others?

Griz are an ELITE PROGRAM the last 25 years. Are they an ELITE FCS team in 2014? So far, I would say no. I only say that, because in MY OPINION, NDSU will win the national title again, and the Griz played, and lost to the Bizon.

However, they are undefeated with the Cats and EWU in the Big Sky so I would say they are STILL an ELITE Big Sky team thus far this season. Points per game don't have jack isht to do with the fact that Griz are 3-0 in the league and are a half game out of first place in the conference standings. The Griz are 3-0 in league play and that can't be refuted. Two of those wins are also two of the same teams the Cats beat so if the Cats are an ELITE team this year in the Big Sky, up to this point, which I would say they are, and we're basing that on they're 4-0 and tied for first, than so are the Griz, and it would be pretty dumb ass logic to say otherwise.

But when talking about PROGRAMS, the Griz are STILL ELITE. There is a major different between "program" and "current team" and Montana is an ELITE program. PERIOD. THE END.

big kahuna said:

There's not a current coach in America that would take over ANY program with the requirement that he keep a certain # of assistants. You're high if you believe that.

I believe UM has been an elite program from the mid early to mid 90's. Most all at the FCS level and even some at the FBS level would love to have the stadium, fan base, history etc that UM has been part of. If a program said they do not and I would call BS on that!

Our program has been elite. Our level of play has not the entire time. Just because a team has a down season or two does not mean that's the end. What shows a truly elite program, is a program that has had a down run and rises back to the top.

I believe UM can do that!

Let's see if EWU or MSU for that matter can sustain and build for as long as UM has and weather through hard times. Maybe they could, or maybe not.

An Elite FCS Program is kinda of an oxymoron don't you think? Maybe NDSU qualifies because they win national titles regularly and beat FBS teams everytime they play one......

This is a tough subject to break down. We all have our own definition of elite. I can argue on each side of this well too.

As for being one of the most recognized and respected names at the FCS level, yes we are elite. With GSU, and App State moving up, I cannot argue any program other than NDSU being better than Montana regarding tradition and recent success. EWU certainly can be argued for on FCS national level, and they do have a more recent national championship. From a recruiting standpoint, elite to me is being one of a handful of programs most recruits can recognize and be proud to have an offer from. I know I cannot "comfortably and honestly" name 5 other FCS programs with a better history than Montana. Hard for me to not consider a team at any level "elite" if they are one of the top names fans and recruits think of during recruiting battles. In my opinion, NDSU is the only FCS program I can comfortably and honestly name ahead of Montana. On the FCS national level, yes we are elite. Unless you want to keep elite as NDSU only.

The other side of this is from a GRIZ NATION only standpoint. We (the fans) are spoiled by the long term program success and 2 championships that are way too far removed. We fans remember those championships, yet it has been over a decade since we won our last championship. As a GRIZ fan, that is way too long between championships for me to consider us elite by GRIZ standards. Since Hauck moved on, we only had 1 elite season, and that season is marred by controversy with NCAA sanctions.

Despite not winning a national championship under Hauck. I did consider the program "elite" under him. Every year we knew the GRIZ would be playing their best ball come the playoffs. We knew Hauck's teams would dominate the conference most years. His teams could be counted on to be national contenders every year. I don't have that same sense of confidence every year now. Hell, I don't have that same confidence game to game anymore. For me, elite is consistently being in the top 5 to 8 teams nationally, and making deep playoff runs. I am disappointed any season that ends before the final 8 in the playoffs. I expect final 8 every season, regardless of coach. Can I forgive less? I have and do. Do I like anything less? Hell no, it annoys me when we fall short.

From a FCS national stand point, yes the GRIZ are elite (no body can argue we are not among the top historical FCS programs) we are 1 of the few power FCS names. That a lone gives us a recuiting advantage. Do I currently consider the GRIZ in GRIZ standards? No, but I do feel this staff and team is capable of being Final 4 team this year. Do I expect it to happen this year? I honestly don't know. My confidence is a roller coaster every week under Delaney and this offense. Plus, I still am disappointed in losing to Coastal Carolina at home last season. I sure in the hell had more faith in last year's offense than I do this year's offense. Then again, I am sold on our defense this year so far. Last year, I was upset almost every week at our defense.

We have yet to have an "elite" season under Delaney. I do hope this year turns out to be the 1st "elite" season under him.

I do feel having better leadership at the top would be extremely advantageous. I feel until Engstrom moves on, we need to handle our status from a year to year basis. As things are now, we are on the same level as EWU, with MSU on our heals for national elite. It will be interesting how this season plays out for all 3 programs.

CV Griz Fan said:
An Elite FCS Program is kinda of an oxymoron don't you think? Maybe NDSU qualifies because they win national titles regularly and beat FBS teams everytime they play one......

No, an elite FCS program is not an oxymoron. It is very appropriate. UM is an elite FCS program.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:

No, an elite FCS program is not an oxymoron. It is very appropriate. UM is an elite FCS program.

You probably think you are an elite attorney too. The oxy may not be right, but the rest of the word is spot on.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:

Fine. Then by your definition Mount Union is elite too.

AZGrizFan said:
big kahuna said:

There's not a current coach in America that would take over ANY program with the requirement that he keep a certain # of assistants. You're high if you believe that.

I stay high as much as possible. It happens all of the time that ADs require that certain assistants are kept. You need to get out of arizona more often.

It happened when Gene Chizik was hired by Auburn. Happened when Mark Richt was hired at Georgia. Now, pass that doobie and stop bogarting it.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:

You probably think you are an elite attorney too. The oxy may not be right, but the rest of the word is spot on.

Not to defend PR here but picking on his law credentials isn't fair. He has a Stanford Law Degree and he is rated highly by the ABA. I just give him crap because I am around mostly Boalt and Gould grads. Now his football credentials, that's a different story.

Q: how do you know you have an elite program?

A: When there isn't what is sure to be a 15 page thread, justifying why you are or aren't an elite program.

Ten years ago this wouldn't have been a topic.

Really am a long time reader yet new poster. I have nothing but respect for the Griz football program. I am a life long Montana guy and went to MSU 20 years ago. I am a Cat fan to the core, but follow the griz too. Just a football junkie and not intending to troll. I wasn't saying the griz aren't elite, just found the topic ironic.

Back