• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Returning to an elite FCS program

Sylvester76 said:
Really am a long time reader yet new poster. I have nothing but respect for the Griz football program. I am a life long Montana guy and went to MSU 20 years ago. I am a Cat fan to the core, but follow the griz too. Just a football junkie and not intending to troll. I wasn't saying the griz aren't elite, just found the topic ironic.

Don't worry 76, these guys are super jumpy and overly sensitive about anyone talking about how the griz have taken a step back. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that post, in fact it was 100% spot on, and quite profound. Seriously, you are dead on. 10 years ago if someone started a thread talking about whether or not the griz were currently an elite program in 1AA, there would not be one post saying anything to the contrary, by any fan from any school.

Montana is not an elite program anymore. This thread is proof of it. Need to get the Cadillac back on the road before its too late.

Big G said:
Montana is not an elite program anymore. This thread is proof of it. Need to get the Cadillac back on the road before its too late.

Guys, this is serious. It's coming from a 51 year-old Eastern Montana farmer who got his "dergree" from UM in the 1960s (around the time he was born) and whose son and three relatives played for the Griz. Take notes.

".....if someone started a thread talking about whether or not the griz were currently an elite program in 1AA, there would not be one post saying anything to the contrary, by any fan from any school."

Laughable. So ALL of the fans from ALL of the schools would agree in 2004 that the Montana Grizzlies had an "elite" football program? I miss the days when Scats (and all of the other FCS schools)used to kiss our ass.

"....there would not be one post saying anything to the contrary..."

^^^ Can you even comprehend how absurd that statement sounds? So we were Elite till only recently? When did it stop?

CDAGRIZ said:
Big G said:

Guys, this is serious. It's coming from a 51 year-old Eastern Montana farmer who got his "dergree" from UM in the 1960s (around the time he was born) and whose son and three relatives played for the Griz. Take notes.

My son is 51 not I

CDAGRIZ said:
Big G said:

PRs family has 21 coaches in his family. I know because my family has one more coach and two more National Championships.

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
An Elite FCS Program is kinda of an oxymoron don't you think? Maybe NDSU qualifies because they win national titles regularly and beat FBS teams everytime they play one......

No, an elite FCS program is not an oxymoron. It is very appropriate. UM is an elite FCS program.

Fine. Then by your definition Mount Union is elite too.

Yes, without a doubt, Mount Union is an elite D-III football program. Could anyone possibly disagree?

"Through the 2012 season, Mount Union football has won 11 Division III National Championships and 25 OAC titles, which includes a streak of 22 consecutive conference titles dating back to 1992. Additionally, the Purple Raiders own the NCAA football record for consecutive victories, with 55, set from 2000–2003, which broke their previous record of 54, set from 1996–1999. With the Purple Raiders' success, former head coach Larry Kehres holds the record for highest winning percentage, .929, for coaches with minimum 200 career wins, over his 27 seasons (1986–2012) as coach at Mount Union."

Sylvester76 said:
Q: how do you know you have an elite program?

A: When there isn't what is sure to be a 15 page thread, justifying why you are or aren't an elite program.

Ten years ago this wouldn't have been a topic.

Q: How do you know you still have an elite program?

A: When a poster who is too f*cking embarrased to admit he's a cat fan makes up a fake name starts a thread on how the team he hates isn't an elite program, and over a dozen other cat fans jump in to say, Hell Yeah, the Griz aren't an elite program!!!! Although they can't state why.

Here's an idea f^ckhead: take me up on my challenge. Start a thread on AGS and ask who the elite programs in the FCS are. If the Griz aren't named as one of 3 in at least 70 percent of the posts, I'll come crawling back here and tell you how right your are.

Huh. No kitty fan is willing to do that. I wonder why?

Oh wait! I DON"T wonder, actually. Because they won't do it because they KNOW that the Griz are an elite program at this level. Period. END FU*KING THREAD!!!!

Robsnotes4u said:
EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:
How does a team that's currently an elite FCS program "return" to that level?

How so? Because you're currently ranked too high at #7? Your stadium? Monte? I know that sounds like smack but honestly I'd like to hear what makes people think the griz are an elite FCS program today. Keep in mind you haven't even won the Big Sky Title since 2009. Also, skip the "You're just a troll" slams and anti Bobcat junk, because I know the Bobcats aren't considered and FCS elite program today either.

1. Crowd/fan support.

2. Facilities

3. Winning Tradition; which continues (although I know that kills cat fans and they prefer to deny it and talk about "power shifts").

4. Just ask anyone. Put a poll on AGS. If they Griz aren't one of the top 3 "elite" programs named by most voters, I'll come back here and admit I was wrong. But I know you won't do it because I know you know I'm 100% correct.

There's far more that goes into being an elite program than a current W/L record (although for the Griz, that's not hurting them right now). Notre Dame had a few terrible years, but I never heard anyone say they weren't an elite program. And it's been years since they won a title.

I am not going to argue if Montana is elite, as each person's perception of elite is different. In regards to your second point, facilities, didn't you receive the email regarding Montana facilities compared to other BSC teams?

Montana is behind, and needs donations to catch up. Facilities are huge when it comes to recruiting. Look no further than UND, building a new indoor practice facility, to go along with the pro level facilities of the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

When hockey players make visits to UND, tradition is one thing, facilities closes the deal.

UND is playing football in a hockey rink and you posit that's elite...SMH :stupid: :phat:

Big G said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Big G said:

My son is 51 not I

:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

statler & waldorf said:
The 'elite' part of Griz football got flushed in 2012. Living on past laurels currently. How long can that last? The first step on the road back would be to get rid of Engstrom. Nothing will change with him around.

:dead: :dead: :dead:

monte is a character said:
Raider said:
Raider said:
Really? More of the convenient history revisions?

Fail

Why don't you enlighten us then, oh mighty one?

I can only assume you are using the 2011 never happened, bobcat argument.

..or you can't count. Love the new screen name, by the way. Cute.

Please leave my thread. You are being an ass, which seems to be your MO. Either contribute to the topic, or stop being the troll that you throw around for other posters frequently.

Probable cat troll whining when he claims it's HIS thread, beyond pathetic.. :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
big kahuna said:
So, you want to tell the head coach that his contract won't be renewed, while he has his team in first place?

I'm no fan of MD, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. What if the team keeps winning? Then what?

When people say that Grizzly fans are spoiled, this is the shit they are talking about.

You ever heard of Frank Solich? Check out his record the last year as head coach of Nebraska before he was let go. It has way more to do than being in first place along with three other teams after three conference games! Delaney is a tired old has-been (not that there's anything wrong with that) who will never get us back to where we were even if he coaches until the age of 100! Mack Brown. Howard Shellenberger. Bobby Bowden. Woody Hayes. All had to go. My opinion is shared by many Griz fans in my circle, none of who waste their time posting on this board.

There's not a current coach in America that would take over ANY program with the requirement that he keep a certain # of assistants. You're high if you believe that.

I stay high as much as possible. It happens all of the time that ADs require that certain assistants are kept. You need to get out of arizona more often.

It happened when Gene Chizik was hired by Auburn. Happened when Mark Richt was hired at Georgia. Now, pass that doobie and stop bogarting it.

There is regular stupid and more than regular stoopid...thanks for showing us this clearly, bro.

Mr. Greenjeans said:
Robsnotes4u said:
EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:
How so? Because you're currently ranked too high at #7? Your stadium? Monte? I know that sounds like smack but honestly I'd like to hear what makes people think the griz are an elite FCS program today. Keep in mind you haven't even won the Big Sky Title since 2009. Also, skip the "You're just a troll" slams and anti Bobcat junk, because I know the Bobcats aren't considered and FCS elite program today either.

1. Crowd/fan support.

2. Facilities

3. Winning Tradition; which continues (although I know that kills cat fans and they prefer to deny it and talk about "power shifts").

4. Just ask anyone. Put a poll on AGS. If they Griz aren't one of the top 3 "elite" programs named by most voters, I'll come back here and admit I was wrong. But I know you won't do it because I know you know I'm 100% correct.

There's far more that goes into being an elite program than a current W/L record (although for the Griz, that's not hurting them right now). Notre Dame had a few terrible years, but I never heard anyone say they weren't an elite program. And it's been years since they won a title.

I am not going to argue if Montana is elite, as each person's perception of elite is different. In regards to your second point, facilities, didn't you receive the email regarding Montana facilities compared to other BSC teams?

Montana is behind, and needs donations to catch up. Facilities are huge when it comes to recruiting. Look no further than UND, building a new indoor practice facility, to go along with the pro level facilities of the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

When hockey players make visits to UND, tradition is one thing, facilities closes the deal.

UND is playing football in a hockey rink and you posit that's elite...SMH :stupid: :phat:

Your lack of intelligence grows with every post, proven by your inability to add to a thread.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
An Elite FCS Program is kinda of an oxymoron don't you think? Maybe NDSU qualifies because they win national titles regularly and beat FBS teams everytime they play one......

No, an elite FCS program is not an oxymoron. It is very appropriate. UM is an elite FCS program.

Yes, without a doubt, Mount Union is an elite D-III football program. Could anyone possibly disagree?

"Through the 2012 season, Mount Union football has won 11 Division III National Championships and 25 OAC titles, which includes a streak of 22 consecutive conference titles dating back to 1992. Additionally, the Purple Raiders own the NCAA football record for consecutive victories, with 55, set from 2000–2003, which broke their previous record of 54, set from 1996–1999. With the Purple Raiders' success, former head coach Larry Kehres holds the record for highest winning percentage, .929, for coaches with minimum 200 career wins, over his 27 seasons (1986–2012) as coach at Mount Union."

I believe an earlier poster said it best when he said that everyone's definition of ELITE is a little different. IMO, these dominant teams, at lower levels of competition, are not necessarily elite. Like I said, maybe NDSU currently and the Griz teams from the 2000's qualify because of the "aura" surrounding their respective programs. A fan today could certainly make an argument that NDSU could compete and possibly beat a majority of FBS teams. Other than the SEC and PAC-12, NDSU could be thriving members of any FBS conference IMO. That's elite to me. The bison transcend their surroundings. The Griz program from 10-15 years ago was in many ways very similar to where NDSU is now.

AZGrizFan said:
big kahuna said:
So, you want to tell the head coach that his contract won't be renewed, while he has his team in first place?

I'm no fan of MD, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. What if the team keeps winning? Then what?

When people say that Grizzly fans are spoiled, this is the shit they are talking about.

You ever heard of Frank Solich? Check out his record the last year as head coach of Nebraska before he was let go. It has way more to do than being in first place along with three other teams after three conference games! Delaney is a tired old has-been (not that there's anything wrong with that) who will never get us back to where we were even if he coaches until the age of 100! Mack Brown. Howard Shellenberger. Bobby Bowden. Woody Hayes. All had to go. My opinion is shared by many Griz fans in my circle, none of who waste their time posting on this board.

There's not a current coach in America that would take over ANY program with the requirement that he keep a certain # of assistants. You're high if you believe that.

I stay high as much as possible. It happens all of the time that ADs require that certain assistants are kept. You need to get out of arizona more often.

It happened when Gene Chizik was hired by Auburn. Happened when Mark Richt was hired at Georgia. Now, pass that doobie and stop bogarting it.

So, what you're saying is......it happens at "elite" programs? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr. Greenjeans said:
Robsnotes4u said:
EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:

1. Crowd/fan support.

2. Facilities

You know you have an "elite" program when other schools (such as former rivals and teams desperate for revelance) will accept two game deals, both away and with no guarantee of return games, just to play you. That's "elite" .

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:

I believe an earlier poster said it best when he said that everyone's definition of ELITE is a little different. IMO, these dominant teams, at lower levels of competition, are not necessarily elite. Like I said, maybe NDSU currently and the Griz teams from the 2000's qualify because of the "aura" surrounding their respective programs. A fan today could certainly make an argument that NDSU could compete and possibly beat a majority of FBS teams. Other than the SEC and PAC-12, NDSU could be thriving members of any FBS conference IMO. That's elite to me. The bison transcend their surroundings. The Griz program from 10-15 years ago was in many ways very similar to where NDSU is now.

The question posed in this thread relates to being elite in FCS. See the thread title. The question is not just an elite program. Again, there is no question that Mount Union is an elite (really the elite) program in D-III. There is also no question that UM is an elite program in FCS, in my view. No one has questioned whether NDSU is an elite FBS program. Of course, they are at this time.

Let's see you list of elite FCS programs at this time.

Back