• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rob Ash Fired

Htowngriz said:
ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
which is why we are looking for another head coach. I think most of us get that. :?

Geez, that's rough. So the Cats only won 3 real FB games this year. Some people were upset at the firing why?
Because people like them and UM75 only look at the number of wins. He is the winningest coach we've ever had. Who cares if 85% of those wins came against crappy teams? Who cares that not only didn't we win big games we were in...but we got blown out of big games we were in?

Didn't most of us try and try to explain this to you guys while he was still there, and your response was to put your hands over your ears and say "nah nah nah nah nah nah, I can't hear you!"?.
Not me. But I'm sure other Cat fans at times. It's that whole, we're not all the same because we happen to root for the same college team thing...

to be clear, I wasn't shouting from the rooftops I wanted ash gone. I would have been fine if he stayed. but it's been a decade. we know what we have. i'm not crying that we're trying to take the next step.

UMGriz75 said:
ilovethecats said:
#5. I love Ash. Had he coached another year I would have been ok with that. And I love that you're the official leader of his fan club over here. I just find it funny that on one side of your mouth you say how crazy and unfair it is he got fired because of all the wins...and on the other side you talk about how weak our schedule was this year and these crap teams we played accounted for 40% of our wins. No kidding!
No, I don't think it's "crazy and unfair," I think the fanbase is "crazy and unfair" and in large part because the "cupcakes" get scheduled, Wombat Nation explodes with righteous eupohoria about "how good we really are!" and then are just baffled when their team, the players, the results, and the Brawl of the Wild collapse in on a fairly typical late season implosion, the fans themselves having talked themselves into a frenzy of self-hypnosis about yet another National Championship that they think they deserve!

A Team is not insulated from its fanbase. That's one reason I think the Wombats fare so poorly and the Griz do so well.
and that's where we can disagree. I can easily separate the goals and expectations of the actual coaches and players, and those from the fans. I try to not base my likes and dislikes of a team based on the fans although I admit that is tough. during the streak you guys had some of the worst fans I can ever recall. so I associated your team with these fans. and like you seem to be doing now I assumed that these fans represented not only the team but all other fans as well. turns out that's not the case. if it is, i'll just assume that everyone of you share the opinions as dill.... :?

i'm sure there are cat fans that think they "deserve" a national championship. every single team in the nation has these fans, including the griz, so i'd be an idiot to think otherwise. but I can certainly speak for myself. I think we have things in Bozeman at our disposal that very few teams in our division not named UM have. because of that, I have higher expectations than I would if I was a fan of northern Colorado. I don't think making the playoffs more than we miss them is too crazy. I don't think beating the griz and the eagles is just nuts. I don't think a run in the playoffs is out of the question. and I don't think that an eventual national championship is impossible.

if that makes this "wombat" :cry: nuts...so be it. :thumb:

Good post iloveyoulongtime. I don't think any of those things make you a nutty wombat fan. You seem pretty level headed to me and have legit expectations based on the resources available.

ilovethecats said:
Not me. But I'm sure other Cat fans at times. It's that whole, we're not all the same because we happen to root for the same college team thing...
This is the "not me" defense. But, it was Peter Fields who claimed that the 'Bats deserve to be in the top 10 every year. I didn't see your efforts to calm those expectations anywhere. The next coach is already being measured by standards that most college coaches cannot meet, and having just gone through a period of dashed expectations resulting in the firing of 11 coaches, Fields is feeding a frenzy of unrealizable expectations.

Good grief, Wombats have already decided their new head coach is far and away ahead of anyone that even applied for the Griz position, and no one has even been selected yet. I mean, Wow. Just Wow.

Take credit. You have a fanbase that is near on to being psychopaths and, as your own recent poll showed, it's not even about being "top 10" or even "winning." It's all about the Griz.

By this time last year, you guys had already won the "recruiting battle." As usual. Where were your words of caution then?

Shoot. By now I am feeling rather sorry for longtimecatfan, he has bit me a few times but so far he has not tasted blood.
I did kid about coach Ash but in my view he took it in the shorts! I have had some cat players in my house and they were super young men in my opinion. All the time they new our home was a fortress of Griz. Talking with one over Thanksgiving he stated Ash would make an excellent AD. He mentioned he felt sorry for the coach but felt life would go on. Good kid.
So as we await the word of the new coach I will sit back and feel a bit sorry for yo-longtime. Perhaps next season you could shorten your handle?

horribilisfan8184 said:
So when will we see blue smoke?

"Montana State conducted in-person interviews of five candidates for its head football coach position, MSU Director of Athletics Peter Fields said.

Two recent Bobcat offensive coordinators – Tim Cramsey (2013-present) and Brian Wright (2010-11) – join three assistant coaches from Football Bowl Subdivision programs to comprise the list of interviews conducted in Bozeman throughout the past week. Arizona State University co-defensive coordinator Chris Ball, University of Washington special teams coordinator and defensive line coach Jeff Choate, and University of Missouri associate head coach and receivers coach Andy Hill have also interviewed for the position."

Question, is Choate a dirty word? If not, it should be.

I can only imagine the years of fun we will have with that name if he is selected!

Ursa Major said:

I can only imagine the years of fun we will have with that name if he is selected!

Well there is always Ball. Which reminds me of the Saturday night live with the public radio (I believe) housewives and their guest who was making his families famous balls. Cheese or chocolate or something. The Schweaty family. The women loved his Schweaty balls.

Sorry I'll go back to my farkel game now.

We have to get some more discipline in the program. That comes from starting to work hard,” Beck said last week. “There was some entitlement that settled in. Kids thought you just win here, that you do it without putting the work in. A little of that crept in. That’s my opinion.”

Over the last three season, MSU has posted a 16-16 record against Division I opponents.

“This place should be a monster,” Beck said “We can’t ever be satisfied and this program shouldn’t be. With the resources and everything here, it should be really, really good all the time. The people shouldn’t be satisfied that the facilities are good enough right now either. They have to keep cranking and building and doing whatever they can to get better. In my heart, it boils in my gut. When we hit No. 1 in the country (in 2011), we should’ve stayed there. That’s where this place belongs.”
http://skylinesportsmt.com/despite-uncertainty-msu-assistants-continue-to-manage-program/
Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.
You can see the problem. The coaches feel that the players feel "entitled" -- "a little of that crept it"-- an entitlement borne of the unjustified arrogance that permeates the Wombat fan base, unless of course that the argument is that the coaches themselves are the source of the problem.

But, we can read it permeating Wombat Nation; an insulting arrogance summed up by Dakota Prukop with his jejune insult of Griz fans.

Umista said:
Shoot. By now I am feeling rather sorry for longtimecatfan, he has bit me a few times but so far he has not tasted blood.
I did kid about coach Ash but in my view he took it in the shorts! I have had some cat players in my house and they were super young men in my opinion. All the time they new our home was a fortress of Griz. Talking with one over Thanksgiving he stated Ash would make an excellent AD. He mentioned he felt sorry for the coach but felt life would go on. Good kid.
So as we await the word of the new coach I will sit back and feel a bit sorry for yo-longtime. Perhaps next season you could shorten your handle?

I don't want your pity, ya dirty Cannuck.

LongTimeCatFan said:
Umista said:

I don't want your pity, ya dirty Cannuck.

We'll take your Labatts though

wasn't it Fields ... not Ash .... who skedded east tennessee? Fields got the cupcake... for whatever reasons, a W or $

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Remember when the scat fans said the DM wouldn't lose a game to the Griz...and then he didn't!

Also, when they said that the running back with the allergies was going to run over the Griz...and he did!

Remember when Prukop said the Griz were marked...and then they were!

And when everyone warned Griz fans that there was to be a changing of the guard...

These scat fans are very good at telling the future...I'd listen if I was you, this new hire is going to change things around. Not only will they be in the top 10 for eternity, there is absolutely no reason that they shouldn't be #1...according to Mr. Beck.

UMGriz75 said:
Sounds like Ron Ash. Going downhill? Do the Wombats need another coach that needs to "turn it around?" And become yet another to join the "BobCat's Graveyard of NCAA Coaches?"

Is there a former Griz head coach that has a better head coaching job right now than when he left Missoula, and who didn't leave their "move-up" job in shambles?

Read - retired
Dennehy - USU fired it was a disaster
Glenn - Wyoming fired it was a disaster
Hauck - UNLV fired it was a disaster
Pflugrad - fired from Montana and no idea where he's at now
Delaney - retired
Stitt - current

NorthwestFresh said:
UMGriz75 said:
Sounds like Ron Ash. Going downhill? Do the Wombats need another coach that needs to "turn it around?" And become yet another to join the "BobCat's Graveyard of NCAA Coaches?"

Is there a former Griz head coach that has a better head coaching job right now than when he left Missoula, and who didn't leave their "move-up" job in shambles?

Read - retired
Delaney - retired
Stitt - current

Almost reads like a list of results for Bobcat coaches, while in Bozeman.

NorthwestFresh said:
UMGriz75 said:

Read - retired
Delaney - retired
Stitt - current

Better question is, other than Kramer and a couple others, what ex State coach got move up job offers?

Ursa Major said:

:lol:
"Dude, your Choate is showing. Cover up."

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:

:lol:
"Dude, your Choate is showing. Cover up."
:thumb: I saw loveyoulongtime come out of the locker room today. He must have met the new head coach. It looked like he had some Choate still on his chin.

Back