• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rob Ash Fired

grizgrad1 said:
Bobby Hauck should be the clear choice for the Bobcats - ButteSports.com

http://buttesports.com/bobby-hauck-should-be-the-clear-choice-for-the-bobcats/

"Even if you don’t have a dog in the fight, you’d love to see the kind of drama that would follow Hauck leading the Bobcats to Washington-Grizzly Stadium to take on the Grizzlies.
Sure, there will be a backlash by die-hard Bobcat fans, but they’ll come around. Especially once the wins start stacking up.
Bobcat fans should want this. Bobcat fans need this because they’ve got to be tired of hearing that the Grizzlies lead the all-time series 72-37-5.
Bobcat fans born today will likely never see MSU take the overall lead in that series. Neither will their grandchildren."

They tell it like it is in Butte.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Bobcat fans should want this. Bobcat fans need this because they’ve got to be tired of hearing that the Grizzlies lead the all-time series 72-37-5.
Bobcat fans born today will likely never see MSU take the overall lead in that series. Neither will their grandchildren."
MSU reached its 30th win in the Brawl of the Wild in 1983. The Wombats only inched forward to 37 wins in 2012, when they barely beat the Griz 16-7, the year the Griz team bus had broken down in Butte and the Griz never made it to the game.

It took the Bobkeets 29 years to win just 7 games over the Griz, during which the Griz won 22 games and have now made it an even 25 games since 1983.

During that time, the Bats won a national championship, then barely won a single game the following year despite scheduling multiple area high schools, then hired a succession of coaches all of whom were fired even though each was better than his predecessor, and during which time the MSU Football team became known for drug dealing, murder, felonies, assaults, general mayhem and irrational optimism.

The win ratio prior to 1983 was just under 2 to 1 in favor of the Griz (1.8:1 dating back to 1897). As the Kitties have claimed to have gotten progressively better coaches, the win ratio since 1983 has increased to 3:6 to 1 in favor of the Griz. In plain words, since MSU won its last national championship, the Griz are twice as likely to beat the Cats as they were in the previous 86 year period.

After the "Changing of the Guard" and the "Power Shift in Montana," the Cowbells never won another Brawl of the Wild, which just goes to show the power of wishful thinking.

Another interesting factoid: The Griz earned their 37th win in the Griz/cat series in 1952. :shock:

Perhaps their fans and AD have totally unrealistic expectations for the future of their little program.

Thanks, Coach Ash, for your contributions to this rivalry!

Go Griz!

Maul'em!

UMGriz75 said:
bigsky33 said:
grizindabox said:
Chris Ball....Co-Defensive coordinator, Safties/Def Passing Game coach.....at Arizona St....

Arizona St....total defense in 2015....ranked 103 of 128 FBS schools....total pass defense in 2015....ranked 127 of 128 FBS schools.....isn't this the same defense that cost Ash his job.....
I would say Chris Ball has an outstanding resume of success.
http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207911638
I would say that is an outstanding example of "Public Relations". Engstrom needs to hire this guy!

The statistical data presents a completely different perspective. http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaaf/defensive-stats

ASU gives up an average of 6.6 yds per play and 14.4 yds per passing play.

That compares to national averages of 5.7 and 12.3.

Griz give up 6.2 yds per play, and 13.6 yds, respectively.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/montana-grizzlies-team-stats?season=2015&type=2

How do these stats compare to the kitties? They might be an improvement.

77matcat said:
You guys would no doubt brag about beating Mt Tech.

Ignorance is bliss.

At least we would show up. And win.

Neither which is guaranteed for you.

77matcat said:

Ignorance is bliss.

It would be one of the first nationally ranked teams they beat this century..... Brag worthy for them anyway.

77matcat said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Perhaps. But that's purely because bragging about beating lilbro State year after year after year gets a little boring and tiresome.

77matcat said:

Ignorance is bliss.
Fort Lewis? Eastern Tennessee?

You do realize that even with those high schools on your schedule, that you still ended the season with a 5-6 record? Right? That 40% of your wins this season came against schools that did not, in essence, have football teams?

This is representative of Wombat Nation. The Griz, in fact, did not schedule anything like Mt Tech. The Griz, instead, scheduled the likes of NDSU, four time reigning champion. And some Wombat fan snarks that we would "no doubt brag" about scheduling at a level we did not schedule at, complaining as a fan that represents a seasonal record where wins substantially relied on teams far down the ladder from Montana Tech. This is an outstanding example of why Griz fans view vocal Wombat fans as fully delusional.

Unfortunately, it is no longer a rivalry in the true sense.

Defn: competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

Sure, we compete with the cats. But, the Griz have been far superior for a very long time. Not.A.Rivalry.

Our rivals are: ndsu, and unfortunately ewu and cal poly...but, not the cats. Doesn't mean the Brawl is not fun.

It is interesting to see the pre-Brawl comments at Wombat Nation. They really did think they would win. This didn't help:
e: Cat-Griz Week is Here!!!

Postby AlphaGriz1 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:43 pm
This is the single worst Griz team since 1991-1992.
Very, very bad OL, no real QB and zero run defense.
If you ugys can get excited over beating this team it speaks volumes.
http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37104&start=40

Just look at what the Wombat's lost to this year in the Brawl of the Wild! Just look at that! Prukop and Company lost to the worst Griz team in nearly 400 years! The Griz didn't even have a real Quarterback, and the 'Bat's" had the fire retardant Python!

UMGriz75 said:
77matcat said:

Ignorance is bliss.

You do realize that even with those high schools on your schedule, that you still ended the season with a 5-6 record? Right? That 40% of your wins this season came against schools that did not, in essence, have football teams?
which is why we are looking for another head coach. I think most of us get that. :?

ilovethecats said:
UMGriz75 said:
77matcat said:

Ignorance is bliss.

which is why we are looking for another head coach. I think most of us get that. :?
My understanding is that Peter Fields made that schedule.

Seriously, the Griz schedule NDSU and Fields schedules a Girl's High School team?

ilovethecats said:
UMGriz75 said:
77matcat said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Geez, that's rough. So the Cats only won 3 real FB games this year. Some people were upset at the firing why?

UMGriz75 said:
ilovethecats said:
UMGriz75 said:
77matcat said:

Ignorance is bliss.

My understanding is that Peter Fields made that schedule.

Seriously, the Griz schedule NDSU and Fields schedules a Girl's High School team?
#1. Fields is the athletic director so scheduling is a big part of what he does. with a lot of assistance from the head coach. just like um. just like every other college program. do you believe that the head football coach has no say whatsoever in who they play?

#2. I have been a proponent for some time of moving on from Fields. Sadly, I have yet to see an announcement that he is gone, so there is no point in discussing that. Unless we are of the belief that when an AD is on the hot seat, that eliminates any faults or responsibilities by head coaches during that time. I don't follow that line of thinking personally. I think it's fair to say I'm not happy with all that Fields has done, AND I'm not happy with some of our coaches within athletics.

#3. The schedule talk is funny. Yes, we scheduled some cupcakes this year. Just like we did last year. And the year before that. Just like the griz do year in and year out. Just like every team in the country, big and small. You don't think Clemson scheduling Wofford and App State is the same thing? Pick any school you want, I can find a couple "easy wins" on all of them.

#4. We're in full agreement that even with playing these "obvious wins" we still went 5-6 which is terrible. But that's what many Cat fans have been saying about Ash for years. The only difference between this year and all the years he was racking up the wins you like to mention, is this year we lost to teams like UND and Portland State that we usually beat. But our records and wins have always been bolstered by the fact that we always play 2-3 easy win games, and the rest of the big sky sucks so we'd add some wins there too. The fact remains, many of those Ash wins you like to talk about come against these teams below .500.

#5. I love Ash. Had he coached another year I would have been ok with that. And I love that you're the official leader of his fan club over here. I just find it funny that on one side of your mouth you say how crazy and unfair it is he got fired because of all the wins...and on the other side you talk about how weak our schedule was this year and these crap teams we played accounted for 40% of our wins. No kidding!

This is why my hope is, and I don't think it's crazy, that we find a coach who can win those cupcake games like ash did, win those games against crap big sky teams like Ash did, and just maybe, beat good big sky teams like ewu and um, which Ash didn't do. And how about this crazy thought...maybe win a playoff game or two, like Ash didn't do... :eek:

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
UMGriz75 said:
77matcat said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Geez, that's rough. So the Cats only won 3 real FB games this year. Some people were upset at the firing why?
Because people like them and UM75 only look at the number of wins. He is the winningest coach we've ever had. Who cares if 85% of those wins came against crappy teams? Who cares that not only didn't we win big games we were in...but we got blown out of big games we were in?

Ash could have had 1000 wins. If 900 of them were against lousy teams, and we still got hammered in the playoffs or against you and eastern I'd feel the same way.

That's too many words for me to read about the Cats, but I agree with #1 and the first sentence of #2. That's how far I got, so I have to assume I would probably agree with the rest.

CDAGRIZ said:
That's too many words for me to read about the Cats, but I agree with #1 and the first sentence of #2. That's how far I got, so I have to assume I would probably agree with the rest.
smart man. :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
UMGriz75 said:

Because people like them and UM75 only look at the number of wins. He is the winningest coach we've ever had. Who cares if 85% of those wins came against crappy teams? Who cares that not only didn't we win big games we were in...but we got blown out of big games we were in?

Didn't most of us try and try to explain this to you guys while he was still there, and your response was to put your hands over your ears and say "nah nah nah nah nah nah, I can't hear you!"?.

ilovethecats said:
#5. I love Ash. Had he coached another year I would have been ok with that. And I love that you're the official leader of his fan club over here. I just find it funny that on one side of your mouth you say how crazy and unfair it is he got fired because of all the wins...and on the other side you talk about how weak our schedule was this year and these crap teams we played accounted for 40% of our wins. No kidding!
No, I don't think it's "crazy and unfair," I think the fanbase is "crazy and unfair" and in large part because the "cupcakes" get scheduled, Wombat Nation explodes with righteous eupohoria about "how good we really are!" and then are just baffled when their team, the players, the results, and the Brawl of the Wild collapse in on a fairly typical late season implosion, the fans themselves having talked themselves into a frenzy of self-hypnosis about yet another National Championship that they think they deserve!

A Team is not insulated from its fanbase. That's one reason I think the Wombats fare so poorly and the Griz do so well.

Latest posts

Back