• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rob Ash Fired

UMGriz75 said:
84GRIZ said:
Wow, did not see this coming if true. I know the last couple of years were tough but what is his record at MSU like 70 -38 total and 48 - 23 in conference with the current season being the only losing season he had? Figured he had a year or two based on the contract extension he just got!!
I am surprised as well. Ash's overall record is very positive on the wins, and he kept the kids and coach's out of trouble. There hasn't been a single murder on his watch.

Ash isn't ordinarily the kind of coach you fire (or "retire" early). What this results from is losing to the Griz three games in a row. It also results from a near-psychopathic fan base that has themselves convinced that "they" are an elite program and that it is just the darn coaches and players that keep letting them down. The Cat "program" is the worst case of "projection" in all of college football. The fanbase has one perception of what they are; the reality produces a different view. Ash is their voodoo doll and they are vicious abut sticking the pins in.

It sends quite a message to recruits and to the next coach and coaching staff. If I was a college coach, and had a prospect of applying, I would think twice about applying to MSU. I would have to note that the major opponent the coach faces isn't opposing teams, it's the "fans."

There were rumblings that Ash was gone last week...not sure the latest Brawl really mattered

Grisly Fan goes into mourning, rending his clothing in anguish (talking about one's self in the 3rd person is pretty standard for the grief stricken). He had donated generously to the "Ash Forever Fund" managed by CDA. Wait a minute...! Ash is now gone so what exactly did that money get spent on????

UMGriz75 said:
84GRIZ said:
Wow, did not see this coming if true. I know the last couple of years were tough but what is his record at MSU like 70 -38 total and 48 - 23 in conference with the current season being the only losing season he had? Figured he had a year or two based on the contract extension he just got!!
I am surprised as well. Ash's overall record is very positive on the wins, and he kept the kids and coach's out of trouble. There hasn't been a single murder on his watch.

Ash isn't ordinarily the kind of coach you fire (or "retire" early). What this results from is losing to the Griz three games in a row. It also results from a near-psychopathic fan base that has themselves convinced that "they" are an elite program and that it is just the darn coaches and players that keep letting them down. The Cat "program" is the worst case of "projection" in all of college football. The fanbase has one perception of what they are; the reality produces a different view. Ash is their voodoo doll and they are vicious abut sticking the pins in.

It sends quite a message to recruits and to the next coach and coaching staff. If I was a college coach, and had a prospect of applying, I would think twice about applying to MSU. I would have to note that the major opponent the coach faces isn't opposing teams, it's the "fans."

Exactly! Little brother has unreasonable expectations! They are delusional.

"Rob is our winningest coach .... but we aren't getting the results for the investment we're putting into it."

"Don't have a list of possible hires."

"We should be in the top 10 every year." Apparently someone told them this, and they believe it.

"New hire in 10-14 days." Reporter: "While playoffs are going on? And Thanksgiving?"

Reporter: "Since 1984, every coach has been let go. [isn't this kind of "your" record?]"

"The President will play a role. The decision resonates with her." Whatever that means ....

UMGriz75 said:
84GRIZ said:

that is certainly one way of looking at it. however, you could also look at it as we are committed to winning. and winning games that matter. beating the griz matters. winning playoff games matter. beating quality teams in the conference matter. these are things coach ash did not do well.

beating fort lewis at home doesn't matter, although they certainly help pad the win/loss column.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Hauck is pissed that he was not re-hired by UM. His family is also pissed. He wants to return to the state of Montana to coach. The Montana head job is not open. He possess a huge ego, feels slighted by UM, and would love to show them what a big mistake they made by not hiring him back. Don't bet the ranch that he wouldn't go to MSU.

Really? Do you know him and his family personally? You speak for both of their interests. Bobby and the Hauck side of his family bleed maroon and silver. They will always be die hard Griz fans nothing will ever change that. Now there is another branch of his family that are Bobcat fans, though they don't like to admit it. So what Bobby would do in regards to MSU in anyone's guess. But his hatred of MSU might be too much to overcome.

go4two said:
grizindabox said:
go4two said:
SeattleBobcat said:
Man you just fit dUMb to a T... All Ash is owed is through June, his contract was a rolling one that renewed every year.

No matter the amount, It's still a burden to the Montana tax payers for a mediocre football program.

You do get that MSU does not owe him anything past his current contract....

Which according to SeattleBobkitty, is through the end of spring. Which means the taxpayers will end up paying him for being at home for 6 months? Am I off base here?

My understanding is that the contract has $175k buyout. It had odd evergreen language that said it would roll out to a new three year term each year if both parties agreed.

Skyline Sports ‏@SkylineSportsMT 42m42 minutes ago
Fields said language in the contract did not change buyout provision, meaning Ash will receive the rest of this year's salary and that's all

grizindabox said:
There were rumblings that Ash was gone last week...not sure the latest Brawl really mattered

There have been rumbling prior to last week. Though I am sure the latest loss to the Grizzlies sealed the deal.
He is their winningest coach but was 2-7 in the most important game to most cats fans.

If you took a look at their website on Sunday there were more than 12 different threads all devoted to firing Ash. Before the game they were there too but not in those numbers. I'm sure the big bobcat supporters were relentlessly battering their AD & President with calls after Saturday's game. Hope the guy can find a job somewhere.

I took a quick glance at the "Fields" thread @ BN and it appears they are already preparing their pitchforks for what may or may not happen 4 years from now. Wow is all I can say.

Latest posts

Back