• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shouldn't we be expecting a hell of a lot more by now?

argh! said:
I don't remember anyone saying stitt had a "phenomenal" record at mines, although a general sentiment was that he did well considering his recruiting limitations caused by their high academic admissions standards?
Re: Defensive Coordinator/ New Coaches
Postby brewskis » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:26 pm
The work that he did at CSM was phenomenal.
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73061&p=1132444&hilit=Stitt+phenomenal#p1132444

Selective memory. Take it from there.

I've taken to ignoring 75's lengthy diatribes for obvious reasons.

I made the mistake of reading this one. All I can say is, there is a lot of "wow" there, and not in the good way.

I think I'll save myself considerable time and go back to ignoring.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Its like hes making good 2nd half adjustments or something.....

Not sure I'd agree with this. UNI this year, ISU last year for example. Those were both bad adjustments. Cannot think of any games where obvious halftime adjustments were made which benefitted UM. However, my memory isn't the greatest.

Chet_Ripley said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Not sure I'd agree with this. UNI this year, ISU last year for example...

So two game???

I disagree with the UNI game....I think he played it safe and allowed his defense to keep the game in front of them....

People forget we started almost every drive in the 2nd half from inside our own 15. Make a bad call down there and it completely changes everything....I dont understand how when we win a game like UNI you can be unhappy with how the coach handled the game...

Obviously he did something right...we won a road game against a MVC powerhouse

EverettGriz said:
I've taken to ignoring 75's lengthy diatribes for obvious reasons.

I made the mistake of reading this one. All I can say is, there is a lot of "wow" there, and not in the good way.

I think I'll save myself considerable time and go back to ignoring.

Who?

Umista said:
I will say it again and again and I have pounded my thoughts at Royce Engstrom. If our football team becomes a winning clean outfit tons of kids will want to attend the U of M. Yes, we will increase our enrollement if we have a great winning tradition with our football program.
The stupid way Engstrom delt with our overblown rape issues was the start of the hugh decline.
Dumb... and he is still in charge.
Yes, I expect more!
I agree with most of what you said. I don't believe UM ever had a problem that should have stood out as worse than other schools. It was simply the perception set up by Missoulian's irresponsible reporting. Yes there was a problem, but not nearly to the degree RE let it become with the ridiculous way he handled everything. Of course Pat William's comments in the New York publication didn't exactly help either.

Fat Bruno said:
At this early date, there's only one real way to measure what we should be expecting, and that's in recruiting which has improved considerably. The problem is that with the alarming shrinkage of the University, we can't expect that to continue indefinitely and should be making our move down plans now ... even if we have to look 20 years into the future.
I don't believe school size affects near as much as you might think. Consider Villanova, Richmond etc. enrollment is less than UM and have been very successful. Our opponent this weekend SUU, has around 8K.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
I disagree with the UNI game....I think he played it safe and allowed his defense to keep the game in front of them....

You are correct. I often forget about the strategy of going 3 and out over and over again in order to allow a defense to secure a win. Especially from a supposed offensive minded head coach.

UMGriz75 said:
You don't understand what? Some people referred to Stitt as an "offensive genius." "People" includes fans and coaches. The comments were endlessly replayed on egriz.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68899&p=1019616&hilit=offensive+genius+Stitt#p1019616

Nothing in that thread supports your hyperbole. You just make shit up and pass it off as "fact." And you're boring.

This thread is why forums like this exist: venting or praising. We live in a democracy, the "marketplace of ideas." Well, on this and a few other forums I read, it's also a "marketplace of emotions." It's probably better than sitting on a bar stool or at family gathering, and all hell breaking loose.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Wait stop Argh...you're being too rational....

Stitt is so "extraordinarily inflexible" that his 2nd half of games are always better than his first ....oh wait..that doesnt work for UM75 argument does it? Its like hes making good 2nd half adjustments or something.....
For the season last year, UM scored more points in its first halves 85% of the time. The "second half was better than the first" exactly 1 (one) game, and a tie in one other.

Only on egriz can someone claim that scoring more in only 8% the second half of an entire season's games means that the "second half is better than the first." Just plain nuts.

Overall, last season, first half scoring scored 235 points, and second half scored 141 points. That is 63% of all points scored in the season were scored in the first half.

So, what to make of this claim: Stitt is so "extraordinarily inflexible" that his 2nd half of games are always better than his first, "always" meaning ... 8%?

Too rational? :lol:

If Stitt doesn't lead the Griz to a deep playoff run by year 3 - he goes on the hot seat. Period. It will happen. Some will like it, some will not.

Stitt and these Griz have zero to do with previous coaches and teams. They do have to live up to the expectations of the Program.

Personally I think he'll get there, certainly hopeful. But, I am not completely sold that our offense can be physical enough to win multiple playoff games. We'll see.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Chet_Ripley said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Not sure I'd agree with this. UNI this year, ISU last year for example...

So two game???

People forget we started almost every drive in the 2nd half from inside our own 15. Make a bad call down there and it completely changes everything....I dont understand how when we win a game like UNI you can be unhappy with how the coach handled the game...

Obviously he did something right...we won a road game against a MVC powerhouse

UNI has won a single game, against a team that is 1-3 and rated 83 by Massey in FBS. The jury is still out on them. In a few more games, UNI, might not even be a good win. The problem with early season rankings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UMGriz75 said:
AllWeatherFan said:
UMGriz75 said:
Quotes from certain speakers were recited about his "offensive genius" capabilities. I don't think I've ever seen a coach so over-hyped by a fan base.
I don't understand this. Did Stitt's "fans" call him an "offensive genius, or are these "speakers" to whom you refer actually other coaches? Can you cite (or recite) posters on this forum who used the term "offensive genius?"
You don't understand what? Some people referred to Stitt as an "offensive genius." "People" includes fans and coaches. The comments were endlessly replayed on egriz.
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68899&p=1019616&hilit=offensive+genius+Stitt#p1019616
Grizz Man » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:46 pm
In reference to the thread title, an offensive genius is on our list: Bob Stitt.
AllWeatherFan: "Nothing in that thread supports your hyperbole. You just make shit up and pass it off as "fact." And you're boring."
I'd say people are entitled to think you might be nuts if you claim that a reference by a poster to Bob Stitt being an "offensive genius" is not a specific answer to your challenge: "Can you cite (or recite) posters on this forum who used the term "offensive genius?""

Or were you just "making shit up?"

argh! said:
5) going conservative is his "core reflex"? given all the times he went for it on 4th, etc, last year, it seems like he's maybe just being.... flexible in his approach? and he 'lacks the confidence' to make radical or innovative plays?
There is no longer anything radical or innovative about going for it on fourth downs under certain circumstances. Indeed, this has been discussed for over a decade at the NFL and NCAA levels, and the statistical charts are well-refined by now. And, the fact that experience has shown that, following the charts for field position, that in cases where 36 conversion attempts were made, 18 touchdowns were scored.

Stitt's fourth down attempts last year were pretty much textbook applications. Given the numbers, he took few risks by doing so.

argh! said:
4) i'm not sure how you prove the "extraordinarily inflexible" during game play comment. "extraordinary" is a pretty loaded word. ndsu seems to have a similar game plan each week, and they keep at it - see their iowa win for evidence. are their coaches also 'extraordinarily inflexible'?
Well, I am sure even you would recognize, "when it works, stick with it," something that Stitt could not manage to do at ISU, preferring, in the face of UM's first successful running game of the year, to return to his "air raid" strategy upon his announced theory: "you have to throw the ball sometime," and that that was part of his acknowledgment that it was "going conservative" to protect the lead.

He just can't "let it go" sometimes, it seems. Strange you should bring up NDSU in that context .... considering the outcome of that playoff game -- one of our worst humiliations because ... "extraordinarily inflexible." Even Rob Ash took out Jake Bleskin, finally, when it became clear that Bleskin was having a very bad day; and under their third stringer, then got a touchdown.

Indeed, Stitt himself took some pride in the fact that he beat NDSU in the first game, rather than by anything innovative, by employing an old standby.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoachBobStitt/status/638706137395630080[/tweet]
Inflexible?

Here's an example:
Montana coach Bob Stitt is a little different cat. He’s an extremely confident guy, that was obvious back in August when the Griz beat the Bison in Missoula, but his postgame press conference Saturday evening reeked of an absolute stubbornness to acknowledge NDSU’s obvious defensive improvement throughout the year or the Bison’s game-planning that utterly befuddled Griz QB Brady Gustafson and the Montana offense. I understand that you don’t want to kiss your opponents’ rear ends and pump them up too much, but Stitt almost seemed delusional. He kept referring to the game “snowballing” on the Griz and when I straightforward asked whether he thought the Bison defense had improved since August (which it markedly has) Stitt said, “Well, it’s the same guys.” He had also said in some remarks earlier in the week that the Bison were “the same, exact team” but that HIS team had improved markedly. If a coach watched film of the Griz’s victory over Montana on Aug. 29 and then watched film of the Bison’s final three or four regular-season games, there’s no way you could see the same defense. It’s almost, oddly, like Stitt viewed the victory in August as some sort of lasting moment whereas Bison coach Chris Klieman had told everybody all year that his defense was going to struggle early in the season and be better by the end of the season. Klieman has been spot-on. That’s why this quote from Klieman was so telling: “You don’t win national championships in August. You win the suckers in December.”
https://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2015/12/06/hard-to-imagine-ndsu-illinois-state-or-northern-iowa-not-being-national-champ/

UMGriz75 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Wait stop Argh...you're being too rational....

Stitt is so "extraordinarily inflexible" that his 2nd half of games are always better than his first ....oh wait..that doesnt work for UM75 argument does it? Its like hes making good 2nd half adjustments or something.....
For the season last year, UM scored more points in its first halves 85% of the time. The "second half was better than the first" exactly 1 (one) game, and a tie in one other.

Only on egriz can someone claim that scoring more in only 8% the second half of an entire season's games means that the "second half is better than the first." Just plain nuts.

Overall, last season, first half scoring scored 235 points, and second half scored 141 points. That is 63% of all points scored in the season were scored in the first half.

So, what to make of this claim: Stitt is so "extraordinarily inflexible" that his 2nd half of games are always better than his first, "always" meaning ... 8%?

Too rational? :lol:

And this year??? Or does that make your argument harder to argue??? Like a 2nd year coach is improving or something??

Chet_Ripley said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

You are correct. I often forget about the strategy of going 3 and out over and over again in order to allow a defense to secure a win. Especially from a supposed offensive minded head coach.

Sometimes 3 and out is better than turning the ball over on your own 10.

UMGriz75 said:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Some people referred to Stitt as an "offensive genius." "People" includes fans and coaches. The comments were endlessly replayed on egriz.

"...endlessly replayed," huh?

That's not even hyperbole, that's just a plain old lie. And you're still boring.

Back