• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sneed/Murray.

CatzWillRise said:
Fair enough. I haven't seen Sneed play, but based on his combined collegiate stats:

162 - 314 (51.6%) 12 TDs and 13 INTs (these numbers pulled from a Cat poster who noticed some JC stats for Sneed were transposed, i.e. he had more completions than attempts in a game or two)

vs Murray

167 - 338 (49.4%) 21 TD 17 INT

It's hard to say based on their body of work that Sneed is significantly better, but obviously Griz fans like what they see, have seen both Sneed and Murray play (albeit Sneed in a scrimmage).

Murray was 120-233 last year (51.5%), 1597 yards 15 TDs and 9 INTs, which was a big step up from his freshman year, but obviously needs to get that % up into the mid 50s at least this year, and I hope he can throw for 2000 yards. That's what I feel it will take to get us tot he playoffs.

Sneed will probably do that in 7 games.

I'll go on record to say Sneed "looked" like a huge upgrade in passing over Murray....but it was a spring scrimmage against a mixed defense and a lot of 2nd teamers ....so until he shows me he's a gamer and can do that in an actual gsme I'll reserve judgement. His college and JUCO stats are not good IMO. I'm hopeful that he thrives in this system with the stud receivers and has a newcomer of the Year type of season.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
CatzWillRise said:
It doesn't take much to be a better passer than Murray, so if Sneed is on par with Murray in that department it is going to be a long season in Missoula because I don't think you have enough firepower without a QB who can throw the ball. Bobby was 50/50 in his mix the first time around, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of offense he builds around a team that was recruited for a pass heavy, finesse offense, with a QB who may only be a slightly upgraded passing version of Chris Murray.
I watched a number of cat games and one thing that stands out is Murray is quick but maybe too quick to run. He has the tendency to carry the ball one handed in front of him. If the game is close he presses too hard and the result is a turnover. To be a really effective quarterback he needs to greatly improve his passing, learn patience and let the play develop, improve his ball handling skills and finally he needs to learn not to play beyond his skill level.

This....... is a dead on accurate post. 100% agree. Supposedly during the off season the new QB coach has been working with him on exactly what you're talking about, as well as overall game management, and the shorter to intermediate passing game. The reports I heard coming out of Spring camp were favorable in that he showed noticeable improvement in these areas. Won't know though, until the bullets fly at the end of August!

poorgriz said:
The reports I heard coming out of Spring camp were favorable in that he showed noticeable improvement in these areas.
Good fucking god, man, will you please stop with this bullshit or at least acknowledge that the “reports” of improvement only came after the reporter made an honest assessment that Murray couldn’t hit the ground if he fell out of a tree?

CatzWillRise said:
Fair enough. I haven't seen Sneed play, but based on his combined collegiate stats:

162 - 314 (51.6%) 12 TDs and 13 INTs (these numbers pulled from a Cat poster who noticed some JC stats for Sneed were transposed, i.e. he had more completions than attempts in a game or two)

vs Murray

It's hard to say based on their body of work that Sneed is significantly better, but obviously Griz fans like what they see, have seen both Sneed and Murray play (albeit Sneed in a scrimmage).

Murray was 120-233 last year (51.5%), 1597 yards 15 TDs and 9 INTs, which was a big step up from his freshman year, but obviously needs to get that % up into the mid 50s at least this year, and I hope he can throw for 2000 yards. That's what I feel it will take to get us tot he playoffs.

Sneed is 175-319, for 55%, in his career, according to his UM bio. "Threw for 1,257 yards and seven touchdowns, completing 136 passes in 231 attempts, over a 63 percent average." "Completed 39 passes on 88 attempts with two interceptions… Passed for five touchdowns with QB efficiency of 118.85… Posted a career high day against Hawai’i, going 19-27-0 passing for 279 yards with two scores."

I saw one transposition, which UM had corrected. I saw some other things earlier too in some game stats.

I just checked the game stats at the JC, one by one, and came out with different numbers. My 2 year stats are 185/357. Don't agree with yours, but have a similar overall percentage, 51.8%. Thought you Cat fans were stupid initially, but, while probably not completely correct, your percentage is fairly close to mine.

Sneed threw 3 picks of each of his first 2 games at the JC, and then had 1 the next game. Had 4 the rest of the season.

Nevertheless, Sneed is a much better passer than Murray, from my observation, and I believe he will have a much better passing percentage than Murray.

HookedonGriz said:
CatzWillRise said:

vs Murray

I'll go on record to say Sneed "looked" like a huge upgrade in passing over Murray....but it was a spring scrimmage against a mixed defense and a lot of 2nd teamers ....so until he shows me he's a gamer and can do that in an actual gsme I'll reserve judgement. His college and JUCO stats are not good IMO. I'm hopeful that he thrives in this system with the stud receivers and has a newcomer of the Year type of season.

Until I see you coming to practices and talking to coaches, I will "reserve judgement" on anything you say about Sneed's passing.

garizzalies said:
poorgriz said:
The reports I heard coming out of Spring camp were favorable in that he showed noticeable improvement in these areas.
Good f***[*] god, man, will you please stop with this bullshit or at least acknowledge that the “reports” of improvement only came after the reporter made an honest assessment that Murray couldn’t hit the ground if he fell out of a tree?

I know what you're referring to with Colter and that very well may be true, that he meant what he said with Murray not looking good and was saving face with Cat fans by back tracking a bit.
Maybe his comments on Bobcat Nation were true about how he has saying that he did see improvement in spring ball.
Or maybe the answer is somewhere in between, he looks better, but only marginally so.
There is also a possibility that there were more people besides just Colter that were at these spring practices and that is their opinion of Murray looking better this spring. That is possibly what poorgriz is referring to, not sure, I don't know the guy.

But stop acting like this is a black and white thing. It's all subjective, depends on who the sources are, how qualified they are to assess QB play, etc.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
CatzWillRise said:

vs Murray

Until I see you coming to practices and talking to coaches, I will "reserve judgement" on anything you say about Sneed's passing.

Like I said, I'm very hopeful. But can you really be excited about those numbers in a scrimmage against mostly #2's and a shell defense? Remember how excited Cats fans were because Bruggeman had a good scrimmage. We saw how that worked out. If he really was an incredible passer, why aren't his junior college numbers stronger. I'll root for him big time and be a huge fan but I just want to wait and see what he can do in an actual game

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
CatzWillRise said:

vs Murray

Like I said, I'm very hopeful. But can you really be excited about those numbers in a scrimmage against mostly #2's and a shell defense? Remember how excited Cats fans were because Bruggeman had a good scrimmage. We saw how that worked out. If he really was an incredible passer, why aren't his junior college numbers stronger. I'll root for him big time and be a huge fan but I just want to wait and see what he can do in an actual game

Yes, I can and many other who were there also were impressed. Did you even attend. Sneed threw very well. And, it wasn't just the numbers, it was also how and when, and how hard, and how accurate, his throws were.

Using your JC logic/argument, but in reverse, why would Hauck/Rosie bring Sneed here, and then elevate him to the starter over last year's promising starter, if they didn't believe, and see, that Sneed was very good? I don't recall Sneed playing mainly against 2's.

PR I don't remember you at the Cat spring games when Bruggman lit it up. I was there. He looked very good. The Sneed/Bruggman comparison is fair until Sneed proves otherwise.

Something happened at UNLV and Sneed left. What was that exactly? Is it something that could make him a risk at um? The elephant in the room that's conveniently not discussed over here is a total lack of depth. There is no question that um is in bad shape at the QB position right now.

Say what you will about Murray, but it cannot be disputed that's he's good enough to go 2-0 against um with one of the wins as a true freshman in Missoula. Impressive. In two games um knew exactly who he was, and knew exactly what he was going to do. um couldn't find an answer.

garizzalies said:
poorgriz said:
Good f***[*] god, man, will you please stop with this bullshit or at least acknowledge that the “reports” of improvement only came after the reporter made an honest assessment that Murray couldn’t hit the ground if he fell out of a tree?

Wasn't talking to you, I was having a grown-up discussion with Blgz Griz. But since you seem to be so concerned about my opinion that Chris is improving as a QB, I could give a shit what Colter says. I am seeing improvement via the Spring game and practices I watched. I was also referring to comments made by coaches, and by some of my friends that watched the Spring scrimmages. Maybe you should sit a couple plays out, and go have a beer to mellow out or something. :thumb:

ABQCat said:
PR I don't remember you at the Cat spring games when Bruggman lit it up. I was there. He looked very good. The Sneed/Bruggman comparison is fair until Sneed proves otherwise.

Something happened at UNLV and Sneed left. What was that exactly? Is it something that could make him a risk at um? The elephant in the room that's conveniently not discussed over here is a total lack of depth. There is no question that um is in bad shape at the QB position right now.

Say what you will about Murray, but it cannot be disputed that's he's good enough to go 2-0 against um with one of the wins as a true freshman in Missoula. Impressive. In two games um knew exactly who he was, and knew exactly what he was going to do. um couldn't find an answer.

Stern. Stern, but fair.

ABQCat said:

Can’t really argue much about this post as he has had UM’s number the last 2 years. All I will say is a”Good” coach will find a way to shut down his ability to run and force him to throw. As much as he has improved throwing, this is not and will not ever be his strength. You are correct that Stitt and Semore couldn’t answer or adjust to Murray the last 2 years, I think Hauck and Baer will be different......

ABQCat said:

You should be concerned about your own depth. Holy shit after seeing Rovig in the spring you better pray Murray doesn't get hurt.

HookedonGriz said:
ABQCat said:

You should be concerned about your own depth. Holy shit after seeing Rovig in the spring you better pray Murray doesn't get hurt.

Travis Jonsen will be Murray's backup IMO

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
ABQCat said:

Travis Jonsen will be Murray's backup IMO

Based on all those snaps he took in the spring? Oh that's right, he sat out after he hurt his leg slipping on ice. Let's hope he plays football better than he walks in snow.

Montanabob said:
You are misinformed on MSU OL and passing.
OL is all Big Sky this fall and Deep. Will run for over 250 a game and pass for another 200.

state ag has ONE receiver with more than three catches coming into 2018.

tenor.gif

IntuitiveGriz said:
Montanabob said:
You are misinformed on MSU OL and passing.
OL is all Big Sky this fall and Deep. Will run for over 250 a game and pass for another 200.

state ag has ONE receiver with more than three catches coming into 2018.

Holy shit.

ABQCat said:

Bruggman? Zero relevance. Please don’t waste our time. He has nothing to do with this discussion.

Sneed left unlv because coaches had changed, the new coaches wanted him to play another position, and the new coaches thought they had other Qb’s. It’s no elephant in the room.

We are talking Sneed not UM qb depth. Please stay on topic.

I have always been positive on Murray. Again, pls try to stay on topic.

Really, please don’t be so stupid.

Sneed will show why he was a Arizona two-time All State QB, 3-star QB, and threw for more yards in two years of HS than Jensen did in three years of HS.

Sneed, talent-wise, is unlimited. He can do everything Hauck and Rosey will ask of him, hence the reason Hauck and Rosey recruited him, twice none-the-less:

Quick game, he can do that.
Drop back game, he can do that.
Run the line of scrimmage, make audibles, change the protection, throw the hots, he can do that.
Big play play-action, he's got that,
Movement, naked boot-leg, he can do that.
Qb runs, zone read, he can do it all.

There's nothing he can't do. And as an offensive coordinator there is nothing better than going into a game with a bag full of stuff you can do.

Back