• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

South Dakota State Jackrabbits scouting report

CDAGRIZ said:
CV Griz Fan said:
I know you're being sarcastic CDA but F**k, that could be how things play out.... That's a little freaky....

Yeah, I know . . . that's why I posted it. :thumb:
It's always better to be down on the team such that you can be a part of the "told you so" crowd rather than thinking we have a chance and having to maybe be wrong. In a sentence taken from a friend: We are going to get rolled.
CDAGRIZ said:
CV Griz Fan said:
I know you're being sarcastic CDA but F**k, that could be how things play out.... That's a little freaky....

Yeah, I know . . . that's why I posted it. :thumb:
It's always better to be down on the team such that you can be a part of the "told you so" crowd rather than thinking we have a chance and having to maybe be wrong. In a sentence taken from a friend: We are going to get rolled.

Ha. Good point. Any idea when the "ask CDA" thread will get going again? I know it's a "off season" gig but hell, It could be invaluable in the coming weeks.....

The most impressive win SDSU has is their victory over ISUr with a close second being SUU. Two very solid wins, though I don't think SUU had really hit their stride just yet. I never really want to disparage a FCS victory over FBS, but Kansas is complete and utter garbage this year and beating them should not really count for anything.

I've never been a fan of "making the playoffs" as a measure of my team having a good season. But...
This season has been a strange one as the Griz have had some fantastic highs and some ocean floor lows and looking back I was off (predicting) as much as our team. I never knew what we were going to do. We got blasted in some games then we turned around and surprised in others. This I do know, when we are on we could go all the way but when we are off we can look bad, very bad.

Saturday we are facing a very tough and solid team. If we play our A game we will win and I think that is what will occur. Exciting indeed.

Thanks for telling us all about the jackrabbits, Brint.

SDSU O Line
LT #68 So 6'6" 285 11/12 Games started.
LG #61 Sr 6'3" 290 25/31 GS. All-con in '14
C #62 So 6'3" 280 25/25 GS. Hon men all-con '14 as a Fr
RG #72 Sr 6'4" 300 17/27 GS.
RT #60 Sr 6'3" 290 23/38 GS.

Avg 6'3.8" 289

I think our front seven may have an advantage here. Their C is their beast starting every game of his career and making hon-mention all-con team as a Fr last year. The guards have the next most experience but neither started until their Jr years and the RG not until the end of his Jr year. The LG did make All-con last year. The tackles are the least experienced (advantage Holmes, Crittenden, and Johnson). The LT is only a So and only played in one game last year before starting this year. The RT started all year on the left side last year as a Jr and was a blocking TE before that. I think with our overall experience and athleticism, we should be at an advantage and should disrupt their QB most of the day. If we can contain their dual RB's, it should be a good day. Pressure to the QB can result in INT's and it sounds like they're kinda prone to them.

Western had a 250 lb banger running the ball for them against the Jacks. If we can get a push upfront, might get some yards inside. I think Stitt will find some pass plays to get deep - wasn't overly impressed with the Jacks secondary. A lot of guys running free all over the field. Had the Western QB been on target early & consistently, it's a straight up win, not overtime. He's a freshman, so could have been expected I guess. Brady will need to be on early.

The offense looks to be slightly "left-handed" in the run game but well-balanced otherwise. KVA will need to do his 3/11 as usual. Holmes & DC will be tested early & often. Lots of two tight-end formations, so Ty, make sure you don't ignore them.

Can't get behind, they can grind if need be. Better to have them playing catch up.

Could be another WaGriz Classic.

I was surprised by the SDSU loss to W. Illinois last weekend, but the tale of their trip to Peoria might help explain why they came out flat and ultimately lost in double OT. Usually, the Jacks bus to Peoria, which is a nine hour ride, but this year they chose to fly for the first time. So, of course, thanks to snow in Sioux Falls on Friday their flight was delayed for 11 hours. They could've gotten there quicker by bus. To add on to that, one of their charter buses got a flat tire on Saturday morning and then they got stuck in traffic on the way to the stadium because of an accident (not involving their buses). They didn't actually get to the stadium until 30 minutes before kickoff, which led to the start of the game being pushed back a couple hours. Is all of that an excuse for why they lost? No (just like Lider's acting job doesn't excuse the Kittens losing), but it probably didn't help all that much.

Having said all that, SDSU could've very well been a top 8 seed and is one of the stronger non-seeded teams. Tough draw for the Griz in the first round. Let's not spot em 4 TDs this time, how about?

IMO, this game will fall on the defense. IF they can stop the run I think the Griz can win the game. I agree with Brint, they have not faced a pass heavy team like Montana and our 4 quality receivers, but, if the Griz can jump ahead early and make the bunnies go away from their strength, running the ball it bodes well for Holmes and co.

Your DE Holmes should have a career day in this one.....probably 4 or more sacks and constantly in the backfield. Griz win by 14......See ya in Fargo!!

putter said:
IMO, this game will fall on the defense. IF they can stop the run I think the Griz can win the game. I agree with Brint, they have not faced a pass heavy team like Montana and our 4 quality receivers, but, if the Griz can jump ahead early and make the bunnies go away from their strength, running the ball it bodes well for Holmes and co.

Our defense is going to come to play, just as they have for 11 games this year. The game will hinge on our O-line and how successful they are at establishing some creases and in defending the pocket for Brady to pick apart the Jacks defense.

I think if we can score 31-35 we win.

alabamagrizzly said:
SDSU O Line
LT #68 So 6'6" 285 11/12 Games started.
LG #61 Sr 6'3" 290 25/31 GS. All-con in '14
C #62 So 6'3" 280 25/25 GS. Hon men all-con '14 as a Fr
RG #72 Sr 6'4" 300 17/27 GS.
RT #60 Sr 6'3" 290 23/38 GS.

Avg 6'3.8" 289

I think our front seven may have an advantage here. Their C is their beast starting every game of his career and making hon-mention all-con team as a Fr last year. The guards have the next most experience but neither started until their Jr years and the RG not until the end of his Jr year. The LG did make All-con last year. The tackles are the least experienced (advantage Holmes, Crittenden, and Johnson). The LT is only a So and only played in one game last year before starting this year. The RT started all year on the left side last year as a Jr and was a blocking TE before that. I think with our overall experience and athleticism, we should be at an advantage and should disrupt their QB most of the day. If we can contain their dual RB's, it should be a good day. Pressure to the QB can result in INT's and it sounds like they're kinda prone to them.

Was going to pull that, interesting because usually they have larger o lines... Doesn't mean these guys are bad, but I was expecting about an inch taller and 10-15 pounds heavier, on average.

Bump. Just tired of reading about Ash and the cats. We have a playoff game this weekend!

Hoping for a good week of prep, and a Griz win to extend the season. Also hoping for a good Thanksgiving crowd. Can we start the tailgates early?

SoldierGriz said:
Bump. Just tired of reading about Ash and the cats. We have a playoff game this weekend!

Hoping for a good week of prep, and a Griz win to extend the season. Also hoping for a good Thanksgiving crowd. Can we start the tailgates early?

Agreed :thumb: This is a very good football team coming to Washinton Grizzly Stadium but if the Griz can put together 4 solid quarters there is a good chance of moving on.

Tailgating is not allowed for playoffs until 2 hours prior but we all know how that turns out.

nzone said:
SoldierGriz said:

Agreed :thumb: This is a very good football team coming to Washinton Grizzly Stadium but if the Griz can put together 4 solid quarters there is a good chance of moving on.

Tailgating is not allowed for playoffs until 2 hours prior but we all know how that turns out.

The interesting thing is sdsu doesn't really have a major weakness, nor a major success. They're a tough read. Solid team that does a lot of things well. Seems like the "poor mans NDSU" almost.

The offense looks pretty dynamic. I'm confused by no longer caring about TOP, and I wonder how they will approach the game in terms of TOP. In the past I have always thought of them as a running team, but in the highlights it looks like they have multiple weapons out of several passing formations.

These guys are coming into this game ANGRY. Pulling the media talk from their side despite a late loss they thought they deserved a bye. Were ranked 5th before the WIU game. Their players were mad with the draw. Their coach is rallying them around this. Their media hates Stitt's/Montanas media policy.

This team is coming in with a chip on their shoulder. Griz had better be prepared. This is no usual first round pushover. Saw a tweet they finished as the 9th best team in the committee's eyes, so the best of the non-seeded teams. Just couldn't put a good enough bid together.

JSWNBBY said:
The offense looks pretty dynamic. I'm confused by no longer caring about TOP, and I wonder how they will approach the game in terms of TOP. In the past I have always thought of them as a running team, but in the highlights it looks like they have multiple weapons out of several passing formations.
With up-tempo offenses, TOP is actually amplified. If TOP in a game is a complete wash (30 - 30) then we won the TOP statistic. Even if we are within a couple minutes...we still win. The way Stitt tries to get the play count up is a bit of a representation of it. We get more out of our minutes, and our minutes wear out the defense more than a traditional offense does.

That's sort of the way I've thought about it.

BWahlberg said:
These guys are coming into this game ANGRY. Pulling the media talk from their side despite a late loss they thought they deserved a bye. Were ranked 5th before the WIU game. Their players were mad with the draw. Their coach is rallying them around this. Their media hates Stitt's/Montanas media policy.

This team is coming in with a chip on their shoulder. Griz had better be prepared. This is no usual first round pushover. Saw a tweet they finished as the 9th best team in the committee's eyes, so the best of the non-seeded teams. Just couldn't put a good enough bid together.

Very much appreciate the scouting reports and post game analysis this year and years prior. Perfect for those of us that need the high level flyover analysis. Plus many things are missed when one is in the stadium.

I've often done dumb things in anger. Hopefully SDSU will as well.

If memory serves, Coach Hauck was pretty angry at halftime the last outing with these guys, and the team responded pretty well, one current NFL'er in particular. That game reminded me nothing is insurmountable at WGS. Thanks again!

BWahlberg said:

I would expect no less than them feeling disrespected and being angry. If not for losing in overtime this weekend they probably would have had at least a #5 or 6 seed.

Obviously they have a very good team and it will be a challenge. Not necessarily the first round foe I'd prefer but I like this much better than last year's San Diego cupcake game.

Though one thing I don't understand is the highlighted part of your quote. :ugeek:

Back