• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

South Dakota State Jackrabbits scouting report

Grizzlies1982 said:
BWahlberg said:
These guys are coming into this game ANGRY. Pulling the media talk from their side despite a late loss they thought they deserved a bye. Were ranked 5th before the WIU game. Their players were mad with the draw. Their coach is rallying them around this. Their media hates Stitt's/Montanas media policy.

This team is coming in with a chip on their shoulder. Griz had better be prepared. This is no usual first round pushover. Saw a tweet they finished as the 9th best team in the committee's eyes, so the best of the non-seeded teams. Just couldn't put a good enough bid together.

I would expect no less than them feeling disrespected and being angry. If not for losing in overtime this weekend they probably would have had at least a #5 or 6 seed.

Obviously they have a very good team and it will be a challenge. Not necessarily the first round foe I'd prefer but I like this much better than last year's San Diego cupcake game.

Though one thing I don't understand is the highlighted part of your quote. :ugeek:

I'll share some tweets tomorrow, some of the sdsu media people are pretty pissed about the media policy the UM provided them to the point they tweeted about it.

brewskis said:
JSWNBBY said:
The offense looks pretty dynamic. I'm confused by no longer caring about TOP, and I wonder how they will approach the game in terms of TOP. In the past I have always thought of them as a running team, but in the highlights it looks like they have multiple weapons out of several passing formations.
With up-tempo offenses, TOP is actually amplified. If TOP in a game is a complete wash (30 - 30) then we won the TOP statistic. Even if we are within a couple minutes...we still win. The way Stitt tries to get the play count up is a bit of a representation of it. We get more out of our minutes, and our minutes wear out the defense more than a traditional offense does.

That's sort of the way I've thought about it.

Number of plays is more important than time of possession. Fewer play & greater ToP simply means that you stood around a lot between plays.

Right, I just have a difficul time trying to figure out how that is going to impact our competition. Take the NDSU victory over SDSU where NDSU had 40 TOP.

I guess we need a new stat, points off possession.

THE HERD said:
Your DE Holmes should have a career day in this one.....probably 4 or more sacks and constantly in the backfield. Griz win by 14......See ya in Fargo!!

If they can be successful getting them into passing situations...

BWahlberg said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
BWahlberg said:
These guys are coming into this game ANGRY. Pulling the media talk from their side despite a late loss they thought they deserved a bye. Were ranked 5th before the WIU game. Their players were mad with the draw. Their coach is rallying them around this. Their media hates Stitt's/Montanas media policy.

This team is coming in with a chip on their shoulder. Griz had better be prepared. This is no usual first round pushover. Saw a tweet they finished as the 9th best team in the committee's eyes, so the best of the non-seeded teams. Just couldn't put a good enough bid together.

I would expect no less than them feeling disrespected and being angry. If not for losing in overtime this weekend they probably would have had at least a #5 or 6 seed.

Obviously they have a very good team and it will be a challenge. Not necessarily the first round foe I'd prefer but I like this much better than last year's San Diego cupcake game.

Though one thing I don't understand is the highlighted part of your quote. :ugeek:

I'll share some tweets tomorrow, some of the sdsu media people are pretty pissed about the media policy the UM provided them to the point they tweeted about it.

Thanks.

Just seems bizarre to be pissed over a "media policy". They should be pissed about our cold, or our loud, or the fact Grizzlies are way cooler than Jackrabbits, or that our cheerleaders are cuter than theirs. Actually in hindsight they do have plenty to be pissed about. :ugeek:

JSWNBBY said:
Right, I just have a difficul time trying to figure out how that is going to impact our competition. Take the NDSU victory over SDSU where NDSU had 40 TOP.

I guess we need a new stat, points off possession.

Hogging ToP makes sense if; Your are ahead in the game and want to run out the clock, normally towards the end of the game. Or if you are attempting to reduce the overall plays in the game from start to finish. A team attempting to win with a strong defense & a defensive mindset, it this would makes sense. Fewer plays for both teams, means that your defense will stay fresh for the whole game.

Stitt is deliberately attempting to do the reverse and wear down the defense, through 90 plus plays. If the other team is full of better athletes you can still push them around if they are out energy, which often leads to a lack of desire to fight through the whole game.

We also need a stat on point differential based of 4th down conversions.

BWahlberg said:

Not just the players, but the fan base as well. None of the current players have any connection to the 2009 squad, but you'd better believe that loss is fresh in the memory of the fans (although they'd like nothing more than to forget it ever happened). Coming back to Missoula and winning would exorcise a lot of demons for them.

BWahlberg said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
BWahlberg said:

Stitt's media policy is you'll get what I want you to have, and like it. Obviously, that position doesn't make media types happy because they're all-important.

bgbigdog said:
BWahlberg said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
BWahlberg said:

Stitt's media policy is you'll get what I want you to have, and like it. Obviously, that position doesn't make media types happy because they're all-important.

Wasn't this the same reason why the media hated Bobby Hauck so much? Keep it going, Stitt! :thumb:

Media hated Hauck because he was a dick, and he blackballed the Kaimin for a bit. Teams being angry and upset and "tweeting" about shit doesn't matter. Teams do not get overlooked in the playoffs, the Griz will come out ready to go. Question, what has happened to Naccarato? Not that I miss the swing pass for minimal game, but it is interesting to see him be such a huge part earlier in the year, and now, non-existent. According to the stats, he hasn't had a catch since UND.

Peems said:
Media hated Hauck because he was a dick, and he blackballed the Kaimin for a bit. Teams being angry and upset and "tweeting" about shit doesn't matter. Teams do not get overlooked in the playoffs, the Griz will come out ready to go. Question, what has happened to Naccarato? Not that I miss the swing pass for minimal game, but it is interesting to see him be such a huge part earlier in the year, and now, non-existent. According to the stats, he hasn't had a catch since UND.

The Griz have moved Josh Horner into one of the 4 WR positions. He then lines up as an inside WR part of the time or as an h-back/TE on the edge of the line on other running downs. The hybrid use of Horner appears to have helped in the running game in the past month. The result is that the fly sweep and the short bubble screens have been nearly eliminated and so has Nacarrato's playing time.

I wonder if we start seeing more of the playbook opening up now that we are in the playoffs? Gives defenses more to have to plan for now.

go96griz said:
Peems said:

The Griz have moved Josh Horner into one of the 4 WR positions. He then lines up as an inside WR part of the time or as an h-back/TE on the edge of the line on other running downs. The hybrid use of Horner appears to have helped in the running game in the past month. The result is that the fly sweep and the short bubble screens have been nearly eliminated and so has Nacarrato's playing time.

Thanks, that's what I figured as I noted the emergence of Horner these past couple of games.

grizindabox said:
THE HERD said:
Your DE Holmes should have a career day in this one.....probably 4 or more sacks and constantly in the backfield. Griz win by 14......See ya in Fargo!!

The Jacks running game is no where near what it was the last few years with Zenner gone......their back now is a hard nose runner, but does not have that extra gear that Zenner was equipped with and he is smaller too if memory serves me right. ZZ was a solid 220 and could fly!

THE HERD said:
grizindabox said:
THE HERD said:

The Jacks running game is no where near what it was the last few years with Zenner gone......their back now is a hard nose runner, but does not have that extra gear that Zenner was equipped with and he is smaller too if memory serves me right. ZZ was a solid 220 and could fly!

Neither did the cat back, but managed to put up nearly a hundo on this defense. I'm more concerned about the passing side of the offense.

Nice work Brint! Great to have a substantive thread about this week's game.

Go get 'em Griz!

not getting good practice today:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_FB/status/669284483921653761[/tweet]

Yukon said:
not getting good practice today:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_FB/status/669284483921653761[/tweet]
I can't believe they posted this video of practice! SDSU media is going to publish our game plan now [emoji33]

Back