• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Camp discussion: Offense

garizzalies said:
I doubt Lewis gets moved. I could be way off, but he seems like a natural at LB

Agreed, he showed great potential last spring/fall camps when subbed in.

BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:
It was Hill, thanks Brent.

I know JLM isn’t Mariani, so forgive me the comparison, but I think Bobby/Rosey are going to feature a game breaker like JLM where they can. I think he plays significantly more disciplined within the offense & special teams.

Agreed, I put a post up before (I'd have to go back and find it) where I put up the annual stats of the smaller/slot WR in Bobby's offenses the last time he was here, it was pretty good numbers most years. I'd assume a guy as talented as JLM is going to be put all over the field as much as possible. Having him on PR and maybe KR duty only makes sense. Look at the NAU game last year, devoid of a real offense Jerry helped win that game in a major way.

Also haha on the Brent post, as a Packer fan always makes me think of this:

412_49_grande.jpeg

I’m pretty sure Stitt gave JLM the freedom to run southwest/southeast as much as he wanted to. Be interesting to see if the new regime gives him that freedom.

alabamagrizzly said:
BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:
It was Hill, thanks Brent.

I know JLM isn’t Mariani, so forgive me the comparison, but I think Bobby/Rosey are going to feature a game breaker like JLM where they can. I think he plays significantly more disciplined within the offense & special teams.

Agreed, I put a post up before (I'd have to go back and find it) where I put up the annual stats of the smaller/slot WR in Bobby's offenses the last time he was here, it was pretty good numbers most years. I'd assume a guy as talented as JLM is going to be put all over the field as much as possible. Having him on PR and maybe KR duty only makes sense. Look at the NAU game last year, devoid of a real offense Jerry helped win that game in a major way.

Also haha on the Brent post, as a Packer fan always makes me think of this:

412_49_grande.jpeg

I’m pretty sure Stitt gave JLM the freedom to run southwest/southeast as much as he wanted to. Be interesting to see if the new regime gives him that freedom.

The new regime will give him all the freedom he needs, but he will now also receive proper guidance/coaching on how to get the most out every move.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/griz-football-adds-late-signee-in-wr-malik-flowers/article_9c2ba9b6-42d9-5f3d-a859-8470f988fc2d.html

Parts of the above article:

Montana head coach Bob Stitt likes what Flowers brings to the table athletically.

"Malik is a very athletic wide receiver with tremendous ball skills," Stitt said. "We were looking for an outside receiver with outstanding speed and Malik is a guy that can really stretch the field vertically. He is exactly what we were looking for on the outside."

Flowers found success in the backfield, as a receiver and as a kick returner at A.B. Miller. Montana receivers coach Mike Ferriter said he could also see some time on special teams.

"We're going to start him off as a receiver, not really worried about inside or outside right now we are just going to get him in and see what he can do," Ferriter said. "He can play multiple positions because of the type of athlete he is. I think early on, with his speed, he will be a guy who could contribute on special teams as a returner."

The speed Ferriter refers to led to an excellent career on the track for Flowers, particularly in the 110-meter hurdles. On June 3, he finished sixth at the CIF State Championship meet in California. His personal best of 13.93 came on June 2 in the state prelims, a top-40 time in the nation this year.

And that speed transitions to the gridiron.

"In a time base, he's a 4.3 guy. We clocked him at just about 4.37," Moore said, referring to Flowers' 40-yard-dash time. "You aren't going to catch him, that's the type of guy that he is. And he's not only fast, he is very strong. He can catch a ball at 5 yards and take it to the house with defenders trying to tackle him."

Flowers also received offers from Cincinnati and Colorado State.

AZDoc said:
Grizzly96 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Grizzly96 said:
From what I heard it was a ten minute conversation. Hauck asked if he would be willing to do it because he wanted to take advantage of his athleticism and he needs two good TE’s. Hill said whatever I can do to help us get home to Texas, I’ll do it. Have heard that Hauck has really taken a liking to how hard Hill is going at it in winter conditioning. Have heard good things about team with Hauck so far.....

Well, considering how much shit that kid took here on eGriz after his sideline behavior last year this is refreshing to see...he just moved up a notch in my book.

I hear you, but three things:

1. If the fans knew the details of the whole situation in those instances, I can assure you they would have been less critical of Hill and more so of Stitt.

2. Hill’s father gave him a Texas size boot in the ass about maintaining his emotions despite the situation.

3. He loves being a Griz and wants to do whatever it takes to get back to where they should be. Im excited to see what he can do at TE cause I think it will be a huge mismatch for defenses.

I was certainly one that thought he was out the door. Something similar was posted not too long ago, not sure if was you or someone else. When i read his dad gave him a boot in the azz, I thought, now THAT's what I want on our team. Someone that has the FAMILY support to stay. All too often kids whine to parents and they then come out on the offensive in support of their kid. This shows that they understand this is a team game, and no, not every kid playing college football makes the NFL. I love this idea to move to a TE. I can see some trick plays put in for just this situation as well.

I don’t think it was me that posted it, cause it’s been awhile since I have posted anything. I think Hill could really excel at TE and from what I hear Jensen has been very impressed with his receiving skills. I think the biggest challenge for him will be blocking, but I think he’s up for it. I just see Hauck and Rosy taking advantage of mismatches with him at 6’5” and 230lbs(with some more to put on I’m sure..... 240ish?)....I too see a trick play at a prime time with as well, maybe against Bozeman? FTC :lol:

Lewis will not change positions, the other two mentioned might.

Glad Hill is switching, could really help if he is willing to be physical in blocking game.

Flowers could be fun to watch if pans out. Calhoun moving to CB as reported on here might allow for using two good players instead of one not playing as much.

Oline is scary, but reps will hopefully help in case summer transfers don't end up occurring.

Thank God a real football topic yet to be detailed.

You’ve gotta believe that we’ll see a couple transfers on the offensive line. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the younger players that we have...but if Jackson is questionable...I have no idea what we will do at RT.

I think RB is pretty loaded with Calhoun and Lee both seniors. Behind them, Moses could be something really special...and I’m excited to see Green get out there at full strength.

QB depth will be interesting. I’m curious to see if Wilson will be a legit D-1 QB or if he converts to safety.

I really, REALLY like Bingham and Rensvold at TE. I think those two will be naturals.

I’m excited to see some competition at WR. I’m really hoping that we see the younger players step up and execute the offense consistently, and with some attitude. That could be a dangerous position group in the future if we don’t see much turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s great seeing a player like Hill moving to help the team. My only concern is does he lose athleticism with the added bulk? Some people can overcome that while others just slowly lose it. Hopefully he doe not get too big.
Jlm reminds me of a similar return man, levander segars. The way he goes every direction and can make things happen. It also scares me every time you see him running backwards; thinking what the hell are you doing!?!? I think with maturity he will start seeing the field better and being even more of an impact player.

Bearcountry92 said:
It’s great seeing a player like Hill moving to help the team. My only concern is does he lose athleticism with the added bulk? Some people can overcome that while others just slowly lose it. Hopefully he doe not get too big.
Jlm reminds me of a similar return man, levander segars. The way he goes every direction and can make things happen. It also scares me every time you see him running backwards; thinking what the hell are you doing!?!? I think with maturity he will start seeing the field better and being even more of an impact player.

Love me some #1. I haven’t seen him play in a while, but my recollection of Levander was a one/two cut start & north/south in a hurry returner. Find the seam & get through it now. I don’t recall him having the change of direct that JLM has, but like McGee, he was absolutely fearless.

bgbigdog said:
Love me some #1. I haven’t seen him play in a while, but my recollection of Levander was a one/two cut start & north/south in a hurry returner. Find the seam & get through it now. I don’t recall him having the change of direct that JLM has, but like McGee, he was absolutely fearless.

Levander often suffered from "stone hands". Not the type that drops the ball, but the type where his hands were to heavy to raise them to make a fair catch. He's scared 10 years off my life the 4 years I watched him return punts for us. Not sure I've recovered and ready for that again! :lol:

Ursus1 said:
Thank God a real football topic yet to be detailed.
Moderators close this thread; with nothing regarding sexism, rape culture or toxic masculinity, it's way off the tracks.

i really believe Hill brings something to t/e that we do not have,,,very good speed, with enough moves to actually stretch the field even at the t/e position.....analogous in spirit only, to the guy who plays in new england....a true match up nightmare for our opponent at this level.....

regarding le texier to f/b....i don't see that happening as the word before he got injured was that he was vying for playing time (that is how well he was playing at l/b)....

if the calhoun kid is willing to play c/b and would allow kids like flowers to get on the field ...imo that helps our team immensely, by getting the best athletes on the field, period.....

regarding o/l....my only thought is the young kids are going to have to mature and play up from their experience....i think we have talent but the o/l is a different animal all together....

and thank goodness for a football thread.....

Bearcountry92 said:

Hill can follow in Dan Moore’s footsteps for this one. Remember how he was pretty yoked but still really athletic? The strength coach had him doing yoga to improve balance and flexibility. That way he retained bulk but improved overall athleticism. Really wish he hadn’t had the injury bug.

krammer said:
i really believe Hill brings something to t/e that we do not have,,,very good speed, with enough moves to actually stretch the field even at the t/e position.....analogous in spirit only, to the guy who plays in new england....a true match up nightmare for our opponent at this level.....

regarding le texier to f/b....i don't see that happening as the word before he got injured was that he was vying for playing time (that is how well he was playing at l/b)....

if the calhoun kid is willing to play c/b and would allow kids like flowers to get on the field ...imo that helps our team immensely, by getting the best athletes on the field, period.....

regarding o/l....my only thought is the young kids are going to have to mature and play up from their experience....i think we have talent but the o/l is a different animal all together....

and thank goodness for a football thread.....

The FB position is very important to this offense and whoever is transitioned from LB to FB will be an excellent athlete that could have contributed at many positions.

fanofzoo said:
Calhoun to CB....I think that is a waste of a really good, proven receiver.

I could be wrong here, we'll find out next week, but I don't think he's going to CB

Back