• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Camp discussion: Offense

Calhoun is the best receiver that we have. If we have to convert a WR....my vote would be for Curran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calhoun, Eaton and Flowers are the only WRs on the roster I can see making the move. I've heard from a few sources Calhoun wants to play D and I've heard Eaton has already made the move. Flowers will likely stay at WR and should contribute right away. Also keep eye on Dawson McGlothlin to play CB he is a walk on from Sidney he should play this spring if he is still on the team.

BWahlberg said:
fanofzoo said:
Calhoun to CB....I think that is a waste of a really good, proven receiver.

I could be wrong here, we'll find out next week, but I don't think he's going to CB

I agree. I don’t think he should be moved or will be. I think they should maybe move Eaton at least. Not sure if he could make the transition but he’s struggled at WR with catching. He is a pretty good athlete and has length.

brewskis said:
Calhoun is the best receiver that we have. If we have to convert a WR....my vote would be for Curran.

We'll never agree on this, haha

BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:

Curran is a leader in the WR room and I think this will be his year to consistently put it together. He’s been great at times just struggled with a few catches at critical moments.

grizfan1984 said:
Calhoun, Eaton and Flowers are the only WRs on the roster I can see making the move. I've heard from a few sources Calhoun wants to play D and I've heard Eaton has already made the move. Flowers will likely stay at WR and should contribute right away. Also keep eye on Dawson McGlothlin to play CB he is a walk on from Sidney he should play this spring if he is still on the team.

Interesting on Calhoun wanting to play defense, if true. I think last year he was our most consistent guy. I still contend that Curran could be our best WR if he can find a way to play at a high level in all games. Toure/JLM the most explosive guys.

dayday said:
BWahlberg said:
fanofzoo said:
Calhoun to CB....I think that is a waste of a really good, proven receiver.

I could be wrong here, we'll find out next week, but I don't think he's going to CB

I agree. I don’t think he should be moved or will be. I think they should maybe move Eaton at least. Not sure if he could make the transition but he’s struggled at WR with catching. He is a pretty good athlete and has length.

I think you're on to something :thumb:

I think Bobby will bring in a transfer for CB? Probably from the Junior college in San Diego.

reinell30 said:
I think Bobby will bring in a transfer for CB? Probably from the Junior college in San Diego.

Just a guess there, or have some insight? I could see him looking for safety or corner help for sure.

While we'll see for sure next week the current roster is:

Corner:
Dareon Nash
Josh Egbo
Lewis Cowans
Curtis Holmes
Kobey Eaton (rumored to be)
Justin Calhoun (also rumored to be)

Safety:
Josh Sandry
Evan Epperly
Gavin Crow
Michael McGinnis
Gavin Robertson (transfer)
Robby Hauck (transfer, needs to sit right?)

There's also Josh Deshner currently listed as "ATH" - not sure if the plan for him is safety or linebacker though.

Then we've got 3 incoming safeties this fall too, presumably all going to RS. Fouch, Koppang, and Pepe

BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:

I think we WILL agree eventually! One of us will be proven accurate by the end of this next season. If it’s me I’ll eat crow and admit I was wrong. It’s just that history has been on my side on this one....

reinell30 said:

Do you think he didn't try to get one by Feb. signing date like we often see done because wasn't in a hurry since couldn't play spring ball? Or were there just swings and misses? Same with OL ?

brewskis said:
BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:

I think we WILL agree eventually! One of us will be proven accurate by the end of this next season. If it’s me I’ll eat crow and admit I was wrong. It’s just that history has been on my side on this one....

history huh? haha, I'll admit fault too if I'm wrong. :thumb:

(but I wont be) <PR voice>

BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:

Curran just needs someone to make him concentrate. He’s got the hands, he just needs focus

I wouldn't want JLM to change his number unless he wanted to, but.....He would be a great #8. We've had some good return guys wear that number before under Bobby. Jefferson Heidelberger and Rob Shulte were both dynamic players. They were also both smaller guys that played their butts off.

BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:
BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:

history huh? haha, I'll admit fault too if I'm wrong. :thumb:

(but I wont be) <PR voice>
**makes choking noises every single 3rd down in every single big game****

Take away the Idaho State game in 2016 and North Dakota 2017 (high scoring blowouts) and “the numbers” paint a different picture.

BWahlberg said:
reinell30 said:

Just a guess there, or have some insight? I could see him looking for safety or corner help for sure.

Corner:
Dareon Nash
Josh Egbo
Lewis Cowans
Curtis Holmes

Safety:
Josh Sandry
Evan Epperly
Gavin Crow
Michael McGinnis

There's also Josh Deshner currently listed as "ATH" - not sure if the plan for him is safety or linebacker though.

Then we've got 3 incoming safeties this fall too, presumably all going to RS. Fouch, Koppang, and Pepe
You can add Gabe Hupp and Dawson McGlothlin to CB they walked on last year but have no idea if they are still on the team.

BWahlberg said:
reinell30 said:

Corner:
Dareon Nash
Josh Egbo
Lewis Cowans
Curtis Holmes

Safety:
Josh Sandry
Evan Epperly
Gavin Crow
Michael McGinnis

Bobby is good friend with the DC at this Junior College. Jay, the DC will try and do what he can to get Bobby the best players he has. I have, kind of heard, Bobby is looking. OK I know, evidence or shutup. Jay has told me he has two pretty good corners, however, are they the right stuff? Bobby will know...

reinell30 said:
BWahlberg said:
reinell30 said:

Corner:
Dareon Nash
Josh Egbo
Lewis Cowans
Curtis Holmes

Safety:
Josh Sandry
Evan Epperly
Gavin Crow
Michael McGinnis

Bobby is good friend with the DC at this Junior College. Jay, the DC will try and do what he can to get Bobby the best players he has. I have, kind of heard, Bobby is looking. OK I know, evidence or shutup. Jay has told me he has two pretty good corners, however, are they the right stuff? Bobby will know...

:thumb:

Don’t blame him at this point. He has no clue what he’s got back there outside of Sandry.

I’m ever the optimist (sugarcoater) but at corner I think Nash, Egbo, and Cowans are all going to surprise. Epperly filled in well last year too.

But again... need to see how these guys fit now.

reinell30 said:
BWahlberg said:
reinell30 said:

Corner:
Dareon Nash
Josh Egbo
Lewis Cowans
Curtis Holmes

Safety:
Josh Sandry
Evan Epperly
Gavin Crow
Michael McGinnis

Thanks..... I am sure Bobby sees areas of immediate need beyond what he already addressed in signings. Hopefully he has some good prospects and was just not in a hurry. I really believe with about 4 more JC/drop-down that are immediately able to compete for some top spots this team will be better than a "rebuilding" team.

Back