• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The case for Ty Gregorak

Status
Not open for further replies.
grzz said:
Ty did not get the job. If Ty did anything whatsoever to encourage any sort of divide, that is incredibly immature and unprofessional, is it not?
So Ty is immature and unprofessional just because you think he might be if he did anything to encourage this but don't have any idea whether he did or not? Wow.

Stitt had less in the cupboard coming in than Pflu or Delaney and had better results than them his first year using a new offensive system. He was forced to keep Ty, and did so for the mandatory year. That was unusual and stupid. Neither coach was committed to the other as is necessary for the greatest success. Stitt's style of coaching (more cerebral) is different than Ty (more drill sergeant). While Ty shined at position coach duties, he wasn't the best on his staff at game planning and adjustments. Stitt now has the opportunity to have his guy in that position, a guy who Stitt is committed to, and who is committed to Stitt. I've yet to see the candidate who got passed over for promotion get over the snub and support the person who beat him with all he has.

All that has been bumpy this week and last is the result of forcing Stitt to accept Ty and all verbals. Ty, the current players, and the recruits all got a year to prove they belonged on a team that was expected to play for championships. Stitt evaluated players on talent, ability, focus, drive and execution from a position of not being tied to any player or recruit he had a personal investment in to show he knew what he was doing when making an offer to come play ball. (like some posters who are so attached to yesterday they don't like anything Stitt has done or will do.) Like it or not, Stitt is improving this team at the player and coaching level. Because of what Stitt had to accept when taking the job, there was no way his changes could be anything less than bumpy at times.

Most people, especially those that are older, seem to hate change of any kind. I welcome it, embrace it, love the uncertainty and risk involved, and most of all give it sufficient chance to succeed before concluding it didn't work. It took Belichick a few stops to accomplish what he has and the reason NE is where it happened is that's where he had total control. He went 5-11 his first year. Good thing for NE 75 wasn't his GM .

Haven’t read much of this thread so am likely repeating some previous sentiments already posted. TG had become a good DC for the GRIZ and so the Bobcats, over the next few years, will eventually play good defense. That’s a given in my view. Choate reached out to Ty and he decided to take on this challenge. It’s a win for the Cats.

In my view this also has the potential to be a big win for the GRIZ. Of course, we need an announcement who our new DC will be before too much is said. The reason it can be a win for the GRIZ is Coach Stitt is finally able to mold together his own team of coaches. This is a big deal. TG being allowed to stay was one of the conditions of Stitts hire. There were reasons for this at that time but I always felt this had the potential to be a problem. Stitt was also told he had to honor the verbals previously given recruits. So now, after a year of being our HC, this will be the first time Stitt will actually be able to put together his team … the way he sees it needs to be. Stitt detractors may be very concerned … but my instinct tells me this will come to be recognized in time as a huge win for the GRIZ.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Stitt had less in the cupboard coming in than Pflu or Delaney and had better results than them his first year using a new offensive system. He was forced to keep Ty, and did so for the mandatory year. That was unusual and stupid. Neither coach was committed to the other as is necessary for the greatest success. Stitt's style of coaching (more cerebral) is different than Ty (more drill sergeant). While Ty shined at position coach duties, he wasn't the best on his staff at game planning and adjustments. Stitt now has the opportunity to have his guy in that position, a guy who Stitt is committed to, and who is committed to Stitt. I've yet to see the candidate who got passed over for promotion get over the snub and support the person who beat him with all he has.

All that has been bumpy this week and last is the result of forcing Stitt to accept Ty and all verbals. Ty, the current players, and the recruits all got a year to prove they belonged on a team that was expected to play for championships. Stitt evaluated players on talent, ability, focus, drive and execution from a position of not being tied to any player or recruit he had a personal investment in to show he knew what he was doing when making an offer to come play ball. (like some posters who are so attached to yesterday they don't like anything Stitt has done or will do.) Like it or not, Stitt is improving this team at the player and coaching level. Because of what Stitt had to accept when taking the job, there was no way his changes could be anything less than bumpy at times.

Most people, especially those that are older, seem to hate change of any kind. I welcome it, embrace it, love the uncertainty and risk involved, and most of all give it sufficient chance to succeed before concluding it didn't work. It took Belichick a few stops to accomplish what he has and the reason NE is where it happened is that's where he had total control. He went 5-11 his first year. Good thing for NE 75 wasn't his GM .

Nice overview! :clap: As I've said from the beginning, it's been like a breath of fresh air since Stitt was hired. I like Ty, but you gotta have everyone pulling 100% on the same page. I'm not blaming Stitt or Ty - it's just a compatibility issue. As I posted in another thread, we couldn't ask for a more entertaining twist than watching Stitt vs Gregorak on the field. And I have confidence that Stitt will bring in a great D coordinator.

A lot of wishful thinking as well as personal projection. The best outcome would be if they came true.

That doesn't mean the analysis is valid.

horribilisfan8184 said:
It took Belichick a few stops to accomplish what he has and the reason NE is where it happened is that's where he had total control. He went 5-11 his first year. Good thing for NE 75 wasn't his GM.
Good grief. Reality check. Belichick had a completely different background, working under head coaches:

Ted Marchibroda, Baltimore Colts (1975)
Tommy Hudspeth, Detroit Lions (1976–1977)
Red Miller, Denver Broncos (1978)
Ray Perkins, New York Giants (1979–1982)
Bill Parcells, New York Giants (1982–1990), New England Patriots (1996), New York Jets (1997–1999)

Let's keep some perspective on irrational fan worship here. Those ain't the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.

UMGriz75 said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
It took Belichick a few stops to accomplish what he has and the reason NE is where it happened is that's where he had total control. He went 5-11 his first year. Good thing for NE 75 wasn't his GM.
Good grief. Reality check. Belichick had a completely different background, working under head coaches:

Ted Marchibroda, Baltimore Colts (1975)
Tommy Hudspeth, Detroit Lions (1976–1977)
Red Miller, Denver Broncos (1978)
Ray Perkins, New York Giants (1979–1982)
Bill Parcells, New York Giants (1982–1990), New England Patriots (1996), New York Jets (1997–1999)

Let's keep some perspective on irrational fan worship here. Those ain't the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.

And yet here's what he did in his first gig with that background:

Bill Belichick >>
Coaching Page
Player Register
Coaching Results Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · Export · PRE · LINK · ?
Challenges
Year Age Tm Lg G W L T W-L% G plyf W plyf L plyf W-L% Rank Num Won Notes
1991 39 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 6 10 0 .375 3
1992 40 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 7 9 0 .438 3
1993 41 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 7 9 0 .438 3
1994 42 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 11 5 0 .688 2 1 1 .500 2
1995 43 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 5 11 0 .313

Took 4 season to get over .500.

Stitt had a long time to develop his head coaching style, and had tough early seasons. This year wasn't one of them, except in your eyes. His results suggest maybe someone here needs new glasses. Rose colored work if you have the right prescription.

UMGriz75 said:
grzz said:
Ty did not get the job. If Ty did anything whatsoever to encourage any sort of divide, that is incredibly immature and unprofessional, is it not?
So Ty is immature and unprofessional just because you think he might be if he did anything to encourage this but don't have any idea whether he did or not? Wow.

Good God 75. If he did anything to cause a divide, then yes. Stop projecting. You have no idea about most of the assumptions you post on this board, you find "facts" that you think support you clearly biased views, and then you ignore everything else.

I am not irrational about Stitt, I never said I was. So there is another example of you trying to fit your agenda. I just think a coach who goes 8-5 and reaches the second round of the playoffs, better than each of our last three coaches first years, deserves more than a season to get his own players and system in place. And he doesn't have to do things the "old way" just because that is where a portion of our incredibly entitled fan base thinks we should be and they are still offended that an "outsider" was hired.

You can continue your pathetic little game of only quoting and acknowledging what you think you can spin to your agenda, but everyone who reads this board see there is more to the posts you attack.

And Caleb Kidder has a tweet that is quoted several times on this board since yesterday, to answer your criticism that it is just a rumor that players are upset with Ty for going to Bozeman.

Think what you want. I remain a loyal fan who will give the head coach more than 12 months before I run around like the sky is falling.

MsMaroon said:
My heart is so much lighter now that I have clicked on the foe button. Cleansing. :)

Ohh...I completely forgot about that button. Perhaps I will try it. :D

UMAlum said:
Haven’t read much of this thread so am likely repeating some previous sentiments already posted. TG had become a good DC for the GRIZ and so the Bobcats, over the next few years, will eventually play good defense. That’s a given in my view. Choate reached out to Ty and he decided to take on this challenge. It’s a win for the Cats.

In my view this also has the potential to be a big win for the GRIZ. Of course, we need an announcement who our new DC will be before too much is said. The reason it can be a win for the GRIZ is Coach Stitt is finally able to mold together his own team of coaches. This is a big deal. TG being allowed to stay was one of the conditions of Stitts hire. There were reasons for this at that time but I always felt this had the potential to be a problem. Stitt was also told he had to honor the verbals previously given recruits. So now, after a year of being our HC, this will be the first time Stitt will actually be able to put together his team … the way he sees it needs to be. Stitt detractors may be very concerned … but my instinct tells me this will come to be recognized in time as a huge win for the GRIZ.

Very well written. :clap: :clap: Gregorak was a good (not great)coach for the Griz, very energetic, players coach, very likely he was gone regardless of this. Wish him the best of luck. Really feel that we are going to be very happy with our new DC, it will be a win, win. Stitt wants to be dominant on offense and defense, look at the recruits he has brought in and the class he's putting together right now. Give him another year or two and we will be very happy. After the Portland State game we were a way better team defensively, something changed for the better. :clap: :clap:

horribilisfan8184 said:
Stitt had a long time to develop his head coaching style, and had tough early seasons. This year wasn't one of them, except in your eyes. His results suggest maybe someone here needs new glasses. Rose colored work if you have the right prescription.
I understand "fan" behavior; "it's just YOU!" Well, maybe, maybe not. Belicheck was playing in pretty high stakes talent, of course it "took a while." You missed that point. The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference is "not that." It's absurd to make the comparison.

Stitt did not do much "recruiting." The School of Mines is an entirely different recruiting situation; this is the first time in Stitt's career that he actually had athletes recruited for all of these positions by experienced recruiting coaches from large pools of capable athletes. He rejects that talent at his peril.

In review of this past season, I think the team got Stitt a lot farther than Stitt got the team. I understand people disagree with that. Great. I can call you names and you can call me names. The fact is, however, that Stitt has never been able to recruit athletes of that caliber, and this is an entirely new experience for him for which he has little real preparation, if you likewise believe that "recruiting" is important.

With regard to team and staff management, Stitt had his own way for a long, long time, in a league with little genuine capability. Even at that his record was highly variable. The fact is, as I mentioned, Brint's analysis of Ty Gregorak was valid last year, and remained valid this year. Gregorak was the best thing that ever happened to Bob Stitt. I hope Stitt does a bang up job, and if he is nearly as smart as he thinks he is, he can do it. However, it is dismaying to see an outstanding coach degraded by his own fan base; having proven his capability, in favor of a coach who has not.

But, if he wanted to just blow an established program completely up, at this point in time, I'm not sure what he could do differently. You just don't come in swinging and throwing elbows and antagonize everybody from top to bottom, staff, media, players, unless you needed to break a "culture" and start over from scratch. This wasn't it.

UMGriz75 said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
I understand "fan" behavior; "it's just YOU!" Well, maybe, maybe not. Belicheck was playing in pretty high stakes talent, of course it "took a while." You missed that point. The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference is "not that." It's absurd to make the comparison.

Stitt did not do much "recruiting." The School of Mines is an entirely different recruiting situation; this is the first time in Stitt's career that he actually had athletes recruited for all of these positions by experienced recruiting coaches from large pools of capable athletes. He rejects that talent at his peril.

In review of this past season, I think the team got Stitt a lot farther than Stitt got the team. I understand people disagree with that. Great. I can call you names and you can call me names. The fact is, however, that Stitt has never been able to recruit athletes of that caliber, and this is an entirely new experience for him for which he has little real preparation, if you likewise believe that "recruiting" is important.

With regard to team and staff management, Stitt had his own way for a long, long time, in a league with little genuine capability. Even at that his record was highly variable. The fact is, as I mentioned, Brint's analysis of Ty Gregorak was valid last year, and remained valid this year. Gregorak was the best thing that ever happened to Bob Stitt. I hope Stitt does a bang up job, and if he is nearly as smart as he thinks he is, he can do it. However, it is dismaying to see an outstanding coach degraded by his own fan base; having proven his capability, in favor of a coach who has not.

But, if he wanted to just blow an established program completely up, at this point in time, I'm not sure what he could do differently. You just don't come in swinging and throwing elbows and antagonize everybody from top to bottom, staff, media, players, unless you needed to break a "culture" and start over from scratch. This wasn't it.

OK, OK, OK, You've earned my pity and now you have it.

grzz said:
UMGriz75 said:
grzz said:

Good God 75. If he did anything to cause a divide, then yes. Stop projecting. You have no idea about most of the assumptions you post on this board, you find "facts" that you think support you clearly biased views, and then you ignore everything else.

I am not irrational about Stitt, I never said I was.
You are. You needed to project on Ty Gregorak several assumptions. "If he did any" of them, then "yes?"

I don't think the word "projecting" means what you think it means, and as an example of "clearly biased views" totally fabricating allegations about Ty Gregorak is pretty much "it."

I'd call that "a fair trial and a fast hanging." You obviously don't need to know anything more than what you expressly admit you don't even know. To me, that's rabid fandom talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back