• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The too early 2016 Big Sky Poll

Griz in the top tier? Really? You were an ISU chip shot field goal away from not making the post season. There seems to be some holes on defense that need filling. And lets be honest, the griz offense was inconsistent at best, and would be characterized as underwhelming by most observers not wearing dark pink...what makes you think you will be the best of the top tier this year? Spare me the typical egriz BS answer where you deflect the question and end up making a weak overplayed effort at making fun of MSU. Serious question.

doc3kgt said:
Griz in the top tier? Really? You were an ISU chip shot field goal away from not making the post season. There seems to be some holes on defense that need filling. And lets be honest, the griz offense was inconsistent at best, and would be characterized as underwhelming by most observers not wearing dark pink...what makes you think you will be the best of the top tier this year? Spare me the typical egriz BS answer where you deflect the question and end up making a weak overplayed effort at making fun of MSU. Serious question.
Continuity, depth at QB, depth in general, running backs, -gregorak, Justin Strong.

doc3kgt said:
We will be where we usually are....up top

Kittens wont be good enough for a 6th place with their frontier record

I see doc3kgt will not put himself in rehab. We must hope he has some family that will commit him.

Serious question?

doc3kgt said:

Serious answer is a Griz 54-35 ass stomping over the kittens in their cat box!

Every team has a lot of question marks it seems like. I'm interested to see how PSU builds off of their very surprising year last year. They have had an awful off-season, but they also have a very soft schedule next year and have found a good coach.

doc3kgt said:

There was no deflecting nor "weak effort" on my part I took multiple things into account when putting them into the tiers that I did, including schedule, returning roster and somewhat based upon their performance last season. The Grizzlies offense was inconsistent last year due to our starting quarterback being injured for a good portion of the season, outside a bad game at NDSU we played pretty well when Brady was under Center. Our defense does have some spots to fill there is no denying that however that's where you take our schedule into account which is overall very favorable in particular at home.

Unlike many posters on here I actually root for MSU when they're not playing us and I put you guys middle-tier because you have a brand new coach installing a brand new system and trying to repair a defense that was unbelievably atrocious last season. There's no reason to throw a temper tantrum, taking multiple factors into account I am confident the Griz will finish in the top of the conference this season.

bitterrootobserver said:
Putting EWU at middle tier is a little low. Their recieving Corp may be the best in all of FCS and their passing offense will be top 10. Putting points on the board in this conference will win a lot of games. If their D can be middle of the pack they could win the conference. I've got Griz, Eags, NAU, UND has top tier in that order.

You could have one of the best offenses in the league however if you cannot stop anyone it's not going to win you games let alone championships, honestly I don't know who had the worst defense last year EWU or MSU. There is a reason why SUU and PSU did so well last year and that was because they had the best defenses in the conference (don't believe for a second that SUU didn't earn the championship like some people on here feel) defense wins championships

Agree. Wonder about the u's O line but think they will generally do ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitterrootobserver said:
Putting EWU at middle tier is a little low. Their recieving Corp may be the best in all of FCS and their passing offense will be top 10. Putting points on the board in this conference will win a lot of games. If their D can be middle of the pack they could win the conference. I've got Griz, Eags, NAU, UND has top tier in that order.

Couldn't agree more, your top 4 then its everyone else. Only reason I see UND in the top 4 is because of their schedule...otherwise I think its a 3 team race this year.

Eastern D will be better and it appears a new QB will be under center come fall...

I think UTGrizFan is spot on with his assessment of the conference this year.

To me Portland St looks like the team to beat, although they had a tough off season this year so it will be hard to say how the team responds to that. They have an excellent coach with a punch you in the mouth attitude and a good returning QB so my guess is they will be fine. They also have a favorable schedule, only tough road games are SUU and Weber.

NAU could very well sneak in and win the conference outright. They have a stud QB and WR returning and a schedule that works quite well for them in my opinion. I say outright because they play all the top projected teams out side of Portland St. They also get Montana, Eastern and SUU at home and everyone on here knows Flagstaff is not an easy place to win a road game. They travel to MSU, Weber and ND. Im not convinced they have the defense to win it all but if you look at their schedule you will see they will control there own destiny down the stretch.

UM will be right at or near the top again. We should not lose a game at home this year and I have a feeling Semore will have a better way to defend Poly than Gregorak ever did. NAU and Eastern on the road back to back may present some problems. This team needs to figure out how to win on the road if they want to win the conference and make a playoff run. Barring any major injuries the Griz will be really good and fun to watch this year.

UND has a pretty favorable schedule all around and has a very dynamic rb we are all aware off. But can they get it done on the defensive side of the ball? Are they dynamic enough on offense outside of Santiago? They get Poly, SUU, Weber and NAU at home this year which sets them up nicely. But I could see them stumbling on the road whether it be at MSU, Sac St, or Idaho State (who beat them last year). Im just not convinced this team has enough consistency to win the conference. They were very hot and cold last year and I know much of it had to do with injuries but I'm not sure I see them winning 7 games in the conference.

EWU has probably the most talent on offense in the Big Sky now that they've found a serviceable QB. Sounds like they have a solid group of O lineman coming in to replace graduates. Their defense was bad last year but young and should be much improved. They have a great coach. But have you looked at the schedule?? Wow thats a tough one. At NAU, MSU followed by Montana at home then Poly and Portland State on the road to end the regular season. And that just the regular season. Washington St, NDSU, and Northern Iowa to kick things off. This team could very well be 0-4 to start 2016, I don't think they will be, 1-3 or possibly 2-2. But if they start off 0-4 it is going to be hard to get that losing mindset out of their own heads. Especially after underachieving last year. I don't see the Eags winning the conference or even finishing in the top four this year. If they do win the conference they will have earned it.

MSU guessing same in conference record as last year.

My sleeper this year is Weber. I was impressed by them last year and they might just surprise some people again this year. Beat us in Missoula. Beat UND and only lost to EWU by 1 while holding them to 14 points. Not to mention they won all the games they should have. Meaning they didn't stumble against teams in the bottom half of the conference. Not sure what they graduated from last years team but if they return a bunch of starters from last years squad Weber might just make some noise.

UNC had a big win over Portland St last year, but their schedule says no way are we going to be in the top four this year

Cal Poly might have a good season. Hard for me to tell with them. I know that the meat of their conference schedule is early this year. At home against the Griz then on the road to UND and then to Portland St. If they can get through this stretch with one or maybe two losses suddenly the EWU game becomes huge for them in early November. The ponies could end up with two or three conference losses. But I think they lose four.

It seems to me that there is no clear front runner. Most of these teams can beat each other on any given week. It will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

marceagfan5 said:
bitterrootobserver said:

Couldn't agree more, your top 4 then its everyone else. Only reason I see UND in the top 4 is because of their schedule...otherwise I think its a 3 team race this year.

Eastern D will be better and it appears a new QB will be under center come fall...

Rumor has it the O-Line looks pretty atrocious and that the QB will be running for his life. True or not so much?

bitterrootobserver said:

Agreed...though I think PSU plays team ball...they're in that top five, I don't think anyone has a chance at the conference title. The Griz TEAM and coaching staff are flat out better than they were last year, and unless another team is vastly improved I don't see how the Griz aren't the favorites this year, nor do I care, but I'm a betting man, and my money is on the Griz this year. The x-factor is conference alignment and who plays who...but I won't go there.

I think the Griz will be the best team in the conference next year. I don't think we will win the conference though.

Bear Axed said:
doc3kgt said:

Pffft... I guess if you just keep telling yourselves that maybe it'll come true? Seriously, how long has it been since you guys won a title? I suppose this COULD be the year where you finally get back on top but I doubt it. Methinks this is the typical egriz hype based on Stitt running his mouth again. The average griz fan: "We are the griz. We're going to be at the top of the Big Sky this year because we used to dominate the conference." :lol: I also think it's super funny how most of you put these lists together and always include yourself in the top tier and put Cal Poly way down the list. Have you conveniently forgotten they beat you guys AT HOME last year? :roll:

poorgriz said:
Bear Axed said:
doc3kgt said:

Pffft... I guess if you just keep telling yourselves that maybe it'll come true? Seriously, how long has it been since you guys won a title? I suppose this COULD be the year where you finally get back on top but I doubt it. Methinks this is the typical egriz hype based on Stitt running his mouth again. The average griz fan: "We are the griz. We're going to be at the top of the Big Sky this year because we used to dominate the conference." :lol: I also think it's super funny how most of you put these lists together and always include yourself in the top tier and put Cal Poly way down the list. Have you conveniently forgotten they beat you guys AT HOME last year? :roll:
How long has it been since bozeman community college advanced to the second round of the playoffs. And yet the avg cat fan believes they're going to reign supreme at the end of this year because #newcoach who's really never been anything more than a glorified position coach. And while Cal Poly may have beat us they still ended up near the bottom of the conference at 4-7, ironically enough, right behind the cats.

RobGriz said:
And yet the avg cat fan believes they're going to reign supreme at the end of this year because #newcoach
:eek:
would you mind pointing me in the direction of these average fans. because I would love to hang out with someone so positive. I have heard nothing but the opposite so far so this new perception would be refreshing.

ilovethecats said:
RobGriz said:
And yet the avg cat fan believes they're going to reign supreme at the end of this year because #newcoach
would you mind pointing me in the direction of these average fans. because I would love to hang out with someone so positive. I have heard nothing but the opposite so far so this new perception would be refreshing.
You're correct and I apologize. I should've refered to them as average "pre-spring scrimmage" fans. You know, back in the #winthestate #boom days.

HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
bitterrootobserver said:

Rumor has it the O-Line looks pretty atrocious and that the QB will be running for his life. True or not so much?

Atrocious? absolutely not. Young? definitely. Eastern has a really big offensive line and this spring was their first time together. They'll be fine come the fall and they were fine this spring, just a couple youthful mistakes but not a bad spring in any stretch.

I think the biggest surprise coming out of spring ball is that West or Hennessey didn't win the starting QB job...West looks like he'll possibly go from starter last year to 3rd string this year...

RobGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
RobGriz said:
You're correct and I apologize. I should've refered to them as average "pre-spring scrimmage" fans. You know, back in the #winthestate #boom days.
damn. what a let down. here I was hoping there was part of our fanbase oozing optimism. anyone that I have talked to seems to be of the thought we'll have some pretty average years for a bit while we make the transition. I do agree many of us are excited and optimistic about the new coaching regime. i'm guessing we're the first fanbase to be excited about a coaching change though. :coffee:

ilovethecats said:
RobGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
RobGriz said:
damn. what a let down. here I was hoping there was part of our fanbase oozing optimism. anyone that I have talked to seems to be of the thought we'll have some pretty average years for a bit while we make the transition. I do agree many of us are excited and optimistic about the new coaching regime. i'm guessing we're the first fanbase to be excited about a coaching change though. :coffee:
Oh, I don't know....I hear UNLV fans were pretty excited about Hauck. :thumb:

Back