• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The too early 2016 Big Sky Poll

It seems most people do not think that Cal Poly will finish in the top third of the conference. After last season's 3-5 finish I can see why, but I would not write off 2016 for the Mustangs just yet.

Last year the defense was decimated by injuries and 3 of the five losses easily could have gone the other way. People seem to forget that their previous 3 Big Sky records were 7-1, 5-3 and 5-3. The Mustangs were also 2-1 vs Montana during the last 4 seasons.

Former D-coordinator Payam Saadat (2004 to 2008 under Ellerson) returns to Cal Poly and he is bringing back the double flex defense and I expect big improvement on that side of the ball.

Lastly, Cal Poly's 2015 schedule was brutal and one of the toughest in the FCS. 2016's schedule is much more managable. I am not saying that I think Cal Poly should be one of the favorites to win the Big Sky, but it would not surprise me if the challenged for it in 2016.

SloStang said:
It seems most people do not think that Cal Poly will finish in the top third of the conference. After last season's 3-5 finish I can see why, but I would not write off 2016 for the Mustangs just yet.

Last year the defense was decimated by injuries and 3 of the five losses easily could have gone the other way. People seem to forget that their previous 3 Big Sky records were 7-1, 5-3 and 5-3. The Mustangs were also 2-1 vs Montana during the last 4 seasons.

Former D-coordinator Payam Saadat (2004 to 2008 under Ellerson) returns to Cal Poly and he is bringing back the double flex defense and I expect big improvement on that side of the ball.

Lastly, Cal Poly's 2015 schedule was brutal and one of the toughest in the FCS. 2016's schedule is much more managable. I am not saying that I think Cal Poly should be one of the favorites to win the Big Sky, but it would not surprise me if the challenged for it in 2016.

Difficult to argue with anything here.

Speaking of Poly...we can't seem to beat them. We may claim to be a better team and every season end up ahead of them...but we are NOT able to beat them.

I always hope to see some (at least one) of the bottom rung (4) teams come out and surprise us. My guess is one of those picked to wallow in the bottom will come out and win. Who? Your guess is better than mine...but one of them will!

Umista said:
Speaking of Poly...we can't seem to beat them. We may claim to be a better team and every season end up ahead of them...but we are NOT able to beat them.

I always hope to see some (at least one) of the bottom rung (4) teams come out and surprise us. My guess is one of those picked to wallow in the bottom will come out and win. Who? Your guess is better than mine...but one of them will!

Relax, the befuddled DC is gone.

Summer is here, and for teachers such as myself, that means boredom and temptations to post way-too-early season predictions...but I'll go for it.

1. NAU. Cookus is really good, but could he endure a sophomore slump?
2. PSU. I believe they have most of their studs returning.
3. UND. Santiago is a great player.
4. UM. I could also see the Griz finishing 3rd. I like your QB.
5. EW. Cooper Kupp. 'Nuff said.
6. Cal Poly. Always well coached.
7. UNC. A lot of young talent returns, especially on offense, and we have a good, young new DC.
8. MSU. I think they could finish as low as 10th place. New coach, and they lose their All-American QB.
9. Weber State. They seem well-coached.
10. Sac State. I honestly don't know what they have coming back.
11. UCD. Pretty bad last season, and like Sac State, I don't know what they have coming back.
12. SUU. They lost a lot of talent, and a very good coach. I think it will be a "rebuilding season"
13. ISU. Kramer seemed to be doing well w/ the Bengals but they've slipped in recruiting.

Bear Axed said:
doc3kgt said:
Griz in the top tier? Really? You were an ISU chip shot field goal away from not making the post season. There seems to be some holes on defense that need filling. And lets be honest, the griz offense was inconsistent at best, and would be characterized as underwhelming by most observers not wearing dark pink...what makes you think you will be the best of the top tier this year? Spare me the typical egriz BS answer where you deflect the question and end up making a weak overplayed effort at making fun of MSU. Serious question.
We will be where we usually are....up top

Just like Colt Anderson's clothing company, "UPTOP".

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-fcs-preseason-top-25-2016

1. North Dakota State
2. Sam Houston State
3. Northern Iowa
4. Richmond
5. Jacksonville State
6. Charleston Southern
7. Chattanooga
8. South Dakota State
9. Coastal Carolina
10. The Citadel
11. Illinois State
12. Eastern Washington
13. William & Mary
14. James Madison
15. North Dakota
16. Montana
17. McNeese State
18. Towson
19. Western Illinois
20. Villanova
21. Portland State
22. Youngstown State
23. Colgate
24. Northern Arizona
25. Eastern Kentucky

BigSkyBears said:
marceagfan5 said:
SoldierGriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Anybody who ranks UM lower than #3 is high.

Agree. Now I am done.

The two best teams in the Big Sky are UM and EWU...

I think your QB is too inconsistent to lead your offense. What do you have coming back on defense? Wasn't that your weaknesses last season?

Jordan West isn't going to be our QB this year...

We basically have everyone returning on Defense, yeah our D sucked, but when you play a ton of freshman significant minutes (5-6 were continually in the starting rotation) while completely changing schemes there is going to be growing pains. Both sides of the ball for EWU will be much improved this year.

As far as the Griz, they have another year under the new system, I'd expect them to be really good this year, which is why I think EWU and UM are the two best teams...

marceagfan5 said:
BigSkyBears said:
marceagfan5 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Agree. Now I am done.

I think your QB is too inconsistent to lead your offense. What do you have coming back on defense? Wasn't that your weaknesses last season?

We basically have everyone returning on Defense, yeah our D sucked, but when you play a ton of freshman significant minutes (5-6 were continually in the starting rotation) while completely changing schemes there is going to be growing pains. Both sides of the ball for EWU will be much improved this year.

As far as the Griz, they have another year under the new system, I'd expect them to be really good this year, which is why I think EWU and UM are the two best teams...

Eastern could be one of the two best teams in the conf, but their strength of schedule could keep them out of the playoffs for 2nd consecutive year.

WILDCATFAN said:
marceagfan5 said:
BigSkyBears said:
marceagfan5 said:

Eastern could be one of the two best teams in the conf, but their strength of schedule could keep them out of the playoffs for 2nd consecutive year.

This I will agree with....best case scenario EWU is 2-2 after 4 games...I just don't see a win at WAZZU or NDSU but ya never know

Back